Christian Vande Velde's 2006 Tour de France SRM data:An analysis using TSS and TSTWKT

Without having the advantage of looking at other folks training loads, I'd be surprised if he wasn't running a higher CTL than you suggest. I train 15-17 hours per week and came through 120 CTL for the second time this year.

I built through 120 back in March/April and after transition drop down to about 108, am steadily climbing back through it again. I don't expect to be below 120 CTL again until October/November.

Putting a visual on the CTL build that a baby tour gives them going in to the TdF is excellent.

Frank,

It seems that for all of the TT's you've got a TSS of > 100. How does that work out? Perhaps FTP is estimated a bit low or am I misreading the graph?

p.s. I just noticed that you've got a discussion on wattage too. I'll check it out.

beerco said:
Frank,

It seems that for all of the TT's you've got a TSS of > 100. How does that work out? Perhaps FTP is estimated a bit low or am I misreading the graph?

p.s. I just noticed that you've got a discussion on wattage too. I'll check it out.
Warm up/cool down, I'd guess.

NomadVW said:
Without having the advantage of looking at other folks training loads, I'd be surprised if he wasn't running a higher CTL than you suggest. I train 15-17 hours per week and came through 120 CTL for the second time this year.

Putting a visual on the CTL build that a baby tour gives them going in to the TdF is excellent.

The point was that the Tour riders ramp from a CTL of ~110 to 150 in 20 days of racing. That's a ramp rate of 2 TSS/d for 3 weeks straight generating a level of fatigue that I highly doubt anyone 'cept Grand Tour riders experience. Maybe RAAM racers...

Per the pre-Tour build, it's the race quality intensity that makes the composition of that build special. Choosing a race program for training can take your interval training to the next level.