Christmas and Riding a Bike

Maggie

Guest
My Christmas is always very hectic. By now I should feel overwhelmed
and heading for a cold. Since buying my bicycle, and exercising, I
feel great the day after Christmas. I can't believe it. It is amazing
to me. Gee, what a little exercise can do. I have had to host three
celebrations this year at my home while working alot of overtime and
finishing up another semester toward my degree in Business
Aministration. (I only have an Associates degree and had a desire to
finish what I started.) I should be dead by now. Buying a bicycle was
the best thing I have done for myself in a very long time. My physical
and emotional well being is on the rise. I am buying my daughter a
bicycle as I wrote, and we plan to ride in the MS event together on my
birthday. My husband is shocked that I am still riding. He treated me
very well for Christmas. I wonder if it has anything to do with the
weight I am losing. ;-) Everything was easier this year. I had more
energy and was the hostess with the mostest. I wish everyone would go
out and buy a bike. It would be a better world. Hope you all had a
fabulous holiday. Today is my oldest sons 29th birthday. (I was a mere
child when I gave birth to him). HA HA!!! I was a mere child when I
married actually. Well, I am still standing and feeling fabulous and
ready to ring in 2005 next week with my husband, brother and a few
great friends. Life is a beautiful thing. I am still riding. And it has
been a change for the better. THank you for all your encouragement to
keep riding.
Maggie.
http://www.geocities.com/lindaannbuset/mypage.html

Keep at it Maggie. Little and often and gradually increasing distances covered.
This middle-aged woman got a smilemobile (see
http://www.ice.hpv.co.uk/trikes_t.htm ) for her Christmas present from her
husband and it it great fun to ride, but currently slower than my "normal"
bikes. Indeed, today my husband, son and I took turns riding it, it's such fun.
But tomorrow I think I should go out on my normal bike if the weather is
warmer.

Festive cheers, helen s

h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

Maggie wrote:
|| the better. THank you for all your encouragement to keep riding.

Best wishes for 2005.

"Maggie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My Christmas is always very hectic. By now I should feel overwhelmed
> and heading for a cold. Since buying my bicycle, and exercising, I
> feel great the day after Christmas. I can't believe it. It is amazing
> to me. Gee, what a little exercise can do.

Exercise is one of the best things you can do for yourself. It will help
keep you young. Keep riding!
I don't plan to give up biking for quite a few years and I'll be 62 next
month<g>

Beverly

Beverly wrote:
|| "Maggie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
|| news:[email protected]...
||| My Christmas is always very hectic. By now I should feel overwhelmed
||| and heading for a cold. Since buying my bicycle, and exercising, I
||| feel great the day after Christmas. I can't believe it. It is
||| amazing to me. Gee, what a little exercise can do.
|| Exercise is one of the best things you can do for yourself. It will
|| help keep you young. Keep riding!
|| I don't plan to give up biking for quite a few years and I'll be 62
|| next month<g>

Only give up biking when you're dead.

26 Dec 2004 10:20:45 -0800,
<[email protected]>,
"Maggie" <[email protected]> wrote, in part:

>Buying a bicycle was
>the best thing I have done for myself in a very long time. My physical
>and emotional well being is on the rise. I am buying my daughter a
>bicycle as I wrote, and we plan to ride in the MS event together on my
>birthday.

Planning to ride doesn't work, - Riding does.
You'll start to see how quickly twenty-five miles goes by.

You could probably do the fifty mile ride if you set your mind to it.
--
zk

Roger Zoul <[email protected]> wrote:

>Only give up biking when you're dead.

That's one of the things I tell myself when the pain
builds up and I think I'm going to hit the quit-wall.

"If you're not dead, you're not done."

--Blair
"Nietzsche was a domestique."

Zoot Katz Dec 26, 6:54 pm Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.misc
From: Zoot Katz <[email protected]> - Find messages by this author

Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2004 18:54:32 -0800
Subject: Re: Christmas and Riding a Bike
Planning to ride doesn't work, - Riding does.
You'll start to see how quickly twenty-five miles goes by.

You could probably do the fifty mile ride if you set your mind to it.
--
zk

Maggie Dec. 27 writes:

Today it is snowing....so I have to go to spin class. If my boss does
not keep me at the office until midnight I'll go after work. I am
going to keep riding until I can do 25 miles without a problem.
Hopefully when the weather gets better I can ride more and maybe I WILL
do the fifty mile MS ride. Ya never know. Buying that bike has changed
the way I feel about exercise. All my life, exercise was such a chore.
Now it's fun. Everything seems to be in perspective when I ride. I
can't explain it. Yesterday when I was celebrating my sons birthday
with my family, I realized how damn lucky I am. And I told them. Some
of my negativity has definately turned to a positive outlook. I think
riding a bike may help people physically, emotionally and spiritually.
Its very strange. It has been a long time since I felt this grateful
for the life I have. It's strange that it started after buying that
bike. Don't you think? It could be my age and the fact that I now
appreciate the life I created with my husband and the struggles
involved in raising kids has proved to be well worth the effort. (Not
that I would want to go back to their teenage years or changing
diapers) I enjoy seeing the results of all those years of raising them
yes, but go back.....I don't think so. But it sure is strange that
everything happend after I bought the bike and started exercising. Is
it age and grown children and the expectations of weddings and
grandchildren or is it a brand new attitude brought upon by THAT
BIKE???????? I think bicycling has mystical, magical powers. Or is it
my age? What is it?

Maggie wrote:
> .... My father worked in construction all
> his life. He is 86 years old and he looks like he is in

his sixties.
> He still holds a part time job. There is something to be

said about
> hard work and exercise.

Yes, something to that.
My father worked construction (pipe fitter) from age 16 to
62.
He's now 81, and in excellent health and still walks 2-4
miles a day.

I think there's a lot to this "what doesn't kill you makes
you stronger" idea.
The converse is also true and there are many people who
become broken down by hard labor.

>Hopefully when the weather gets better I can ride more and maybe I WILL
>do the fifty mile MS ride. Ya never know.

If you keep riding the bike, Maggie, you *will* be able to do a 50-miler. This
overweight middle-aged woman can do a century - albeit slowly, at my own
leisurely pace, and enjoy it. If I can do it, just about anyone can.

>Is
>it age and grown children and the expectations of weddings and
>grandchildren or is it a brand new attitude brought upon by THAT
>BIKE???????? I think bicycling has mystical, magical powers. Or is it
>my age? What is it?

I find that if I want to de-stress, put life in persepctive, etc., etc.,
there's nothing better than a bike ride to do it. I think it's a combination of
being out in the open, exercise and being able to take in the surroundings in
such a way that you see a lot of the detail missed when going faster in a car.

Keep it up.

Cheers, helen s

h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

And, we wonder how people can do hard labor all day long. Then look
happy at the end of the day.

Maggie wrote:

> My Christmas is always very hectic. By now I should feel overwhelmed
> and heading for a cold. Since buying my bicycle, and exercising, I
> feel great the day after Christmas. I can't believe it. It is amazing
> to me. Gee, what a little exercise can do. I have had to host three
> celebrations this year at my home while working alot of overtime and
> finishing up another semester toward my degree in Business
> Aministration. (I only have an Associates degree and had a desire to
> finish what I started.) I should be dead by now. Buying a bicycle was
> the best thing I have done for myself in a very long time. My physical
> and emotional well being is on the rise. I am buying my daughter a
> bicycle as I wrote, and we plan to ride in the MS event together on my
> birthday. My husband is shocked that I am still riding. He treated me
> very well for Christmas. I wonder if it has anything to do with the
> weight I am losing. ;-) Everything was easier this year. I had more
> energy and was the hostess with the mostest. I wish everyone would go
> out and buy a bike. It would be a better world. Hope you all had a
> fabulous holiday. Today is my oldest sons 29th birthday. (I was a mere
> child when I gave birth to him). HA HA!!! I was a mere child when I
> married actually. Well, I am still standing and feeling fabulous and
> ready to ring in 2005 next week with my husband, brother and a few
> great friends. Life is a beautiful thing. I am still riding. And it has
> been a change for the better. THank you for all your encouragement to
> keep riding.
> Maggie.
> http://www.geocities.com/lindaannbuset/mypage.html

--
Tp,

-------- __o
----- -\<. -------- __o
--- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\<.
-------------------- ( )/ ( )

No Lawsuit Ever Fixed A Moron...

TomP Dec 27, 7:20 am
And, we wonder how people can do hard labor all day long. Then look
happy at the end of the day.
Tp,

Working in Commercial and Industrial Construction I have the pleasure
of watching the Ironworkers, HVAC mechanics and carpenters come into
the office to pick up monthly checks for their companies. The older
they get, the better they look. My father worked in construction all
his life. He is 86 years old and he looks like he is in his sixties. He
still holds a part time job. There is something to be said about hard
work and exercise. I sit at a desk all day behind a computer. That
definately is not a good thing. Thank Goodness I finally woke up and
smelled the roses. If I had not bought that bike I think they the roses
would have been on my grave in a few years.
Happy Holidays,
The New Maggie.

Mike Kruger wrote:

> Maggie wrote:
> > .... My father worked in construction all
> > his life. He is 86 years old and he looks like he is in

> his sixties.
> > He still holds a part time job. There is something to be

> said about
> > hard work and exercise.

> Yes, something to that.
> My father worked construction (pipe fitter) from age 16 to
> 62.
> He's now 81, and in excellent health and still walks 2-4
> miles a day.
>
> I think there's a lot to this "what doesn't kill you makes
> you stronger" idea.

> The converse is also true and there are many people who
> become broken down by hard labor.

This is true when the laborer is under trained. You
gots to know your limits...

--
Tp,

-------- __o
----- -\<. -------- __o
--- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\<.
-------------------- ( )/ ( )

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 20:15:30 -0500, "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Beverly wrote:
>|| "Maggie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>|| news:[email protected]...
>|| Exercise is one of the best things you can do for yourself. It will
>|| help keep you young. Keep riding!
>|| I don't plan to give up biking for quite a few years and I'll be 62
>|| next month<g>
>
>Only give up biking when you're dead.

How could it be heaven without bicycles? ;-)

Ben