Christmas Day overindulgence

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Puester, Dec 25, 2005.

  1. Puester

    Puester Guest

    Brunch today at Dear Daughter and SIL's house (after watching our four
    year old grandson open his many gifts there, mostly wooden trains):

    juice
    fresh fruit salad
    lattes
    tamales (choice of hot or mild), salsa, sour cream, hot sauce
    We bought them this year, but they were delicious.
    folar (Portuguese white bread baked with chunks of ham and
    meaty, garlicky linguica sausage throughout)

    then back to our house for everyone to open gifts here.

    Once the gifts were done we sat out on the patio (it was in the high
    60's and gorgeous) to watch grandson and our son (beloved Uncle Jeremy)
    play with grandson's new soccer ball and (real, small) golf clubs.

    We drank pomegranate juice with Southern Comfort which we decided should
    be called a Scarlet Sheila. We noshed on homemade white bean dip, brie,
    rotola (mozzarella wrapped around prosciutto and basil), goat cheese
    torta, and smoked salmon with pita chips and bagel chips.

    Dinner at about 4 PM was a very nice rare beef rib roast, Yorkshire
    pudding, mashed potatoes, gravy, broccoli casserole, fresh asparagus
    with brown butter, and marinated artichoke hearts. The four year old
    fussed at being required to come to the table, but when he had his first
    taste of the beef, he settled down to some serious eating.

    Wine was a choice of shiraz or merlot.

    Dessert was assorted cookies, truffles, pecan or pumpkin pie. As I told
    Dear Son's serious girlfriend, "In our family you are allowed to ask
    for 'some of both'." Nay, encouraged! No one wanted the proffered
    champagne or cordials; we were all stuffed and a tiny bit buzzed.

    DH made some sludgy Turkish coffee which he brought back from a recent
    trip, but most of us settled for our favorite regular coffee.

    (Sigh) It's all over for another year. Serious weight loss must begin
    within the next week. My 20 excess pounds have morphed into 25 and I
    can't imagine how much DH needs to lose. But it sure was fun while it
    lasted.

    gloria p

    Tags:

  2. We had a Christmas brunch today as well but no over indulgence. We
    usually have a full blown Christmas dinner but today was very subdued.
    We buried our 60 year old brother on Friday, so our spirits are pretty
    low.

  3. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    If I start going to the gym Tuesday, and eliminate alcohol for a while,
    I'll be OK. My clothes are feeling awfully tight after almost a week at
    MIL's house. I've been eating sweets and ham and greasy gooey stuff and
    sipping bourbon since I got here.

    We're headed back home to Minnesota tomorrow morning. It'll be good to
    get home.

    Bob

  4. Puester <[email protected]> looking for trouble wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Brunch today at Dear Daughter and SIL's house (after watching our four
    > year old grandson open his many gifts there, mostly wooden trains):
    >
    > juice
    > fresh fruit salad
    > lattes
    > tamales (choice of hot or mild), salsa, sour cream, hot sauce
    > We bought them this year, but they were delicious.
    > folar (Portuguese white bread baked with chunks of ham and
    > meaty, garlicky linguica sausage throughout)
    >
    > then back to our house for everyone to open gifts here.
    >
    > Once the gifts were done we sat out on the patio (it was in the high
    > 60's and gorgeous) to watch grandson and our son (beloved Uncle Jeremy)
    > play with grandson's new soccer ball and (real, small) golf clubs.
    >
    > We drank pomegranate juice with Southern Comfort which we decided should
    > be called a Scarlet Sheila. We noshed on homemade white bean dip, brie,
    > rotola (mozzarella wrapped around prosciutto and basil), goat cheese
    > torta, and smoked salmon with pita chips and bagel chips.
    >
    > Dinner at about 4 PM was a very nice rare beef rib roast, Yorkshire
    > pudding, mashed potatoes, gravy, broccoli casserole, fresh asparagus
    > with brown butter, and marinated artichoke hearts. The four year old
    > fussed at being required to come to the table, but when he had his first
    > taste of the beef, he settled down to some serious eating.
    >
    > Wine was a choice of shiraz or merlot.
    >
    > Dessert was assorted cookies, truffles, pecan or pumpkin pie. As I told
    > Dear Son's serious girlfriend, "In our family you are allowed to ask
    > for 'some of both'." Nay, encouraged! No one wanted the proffered
    > champagne or cordials; we were all stuffed and a tiny bit buzzed.
    >
    > DH made some sludgy Turkish coffee which he brought back from a recent
    > trip, but most of us settled for our favorite regular coffee.
    >
    > (Sigh) It's all over for another year. Serious weight loss must begin
    > within the next week. My 20 excess pounds have morphed into 25 and I
    > can't imagine how much DH needs to lose. But it sure was fun while it
    > lasted.
    >
    > gloria p

    Sounds wonderful. Mother did rib roast, some kind of potato dish,
    Cauliflower and Broccoli and Paula Deen's green beans wrapped in bacon. I
    did not care for them all that much. That was lunch. She also baked a
    small ham which wasn't all great either.

    Dinner at SIL's house was basically a traditional Thanksgiving type dinner.
    Turkey, sausage dressing (very good), mashed and gravy, green beans, sweet
    potatoes, dinner rolls. Two pies for dessert, a pumpkin and cherry. She
    also made a Greek salad which I still don't know why. It was good though. I
    am stuffed and glad it's over. It was too hectic this year for me to enjoy
    it much and most of the food was mediocre. I'm not being a scrooge, I am
    just pooped out.

    Michael

    --
    ....Bacteria: The rear entrance to a cafeteria.

    All gramatical errors and misspellings due to Ramsey the cyber kitten. He
    now owns all keyboards and computing devices in the household and has the
    final say on what is, or is not, posted.
    Send email to dog30 at charter dot net

  5. sf

    sf Guest

    On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 03:20:54 GMT, Puester wrote:

    > (after watching our four year old grandson)

    We should form a grandparents of four year olds club... my grandson is
    4 too. I think Barb has a granddaughter who is somewhere near 4 too.
    I wonder how many other grandparents of 4 year olds are here?

    LOL

  6. Ophelia

    Ophelia Guest

    "sf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 03:20:54 GMT, Puester wrote:
    >
    >> (after watching our four year old grandson)

    > We should form a grandparents of four year olds club... my grandson is
    > 4 too. I think Barb has a granddaughter who is somewhere near 4 too.
    > I wonder how many other grandparents of 4 year olds are here?

    O raises hand:)) My Grandson is 4 too:))

    http://www.qpat.co.uk/

  7. sf

    sf Guest

    On 25 Dec 2005 19:31:35 -0800, itsjoannotjoann wrote:

    > We had a Christmas brunch today as well but no over indulgence. We
    > usually have a full blown Christmas dinner but today was very subdued.
    > We buried our 60 year old brother on Friday, so our spirits are pretty
    > low.

    My condolences to you! I understand your pain and lack of holiday
    spirit. My mother died on the 11th, but I was ready to get into the
    holiday spirit this week... then hubby wrecked his knee and has been
    totally bedridden for days. He missed 3 consecutive days of xmas
    festivities this weekend and I missed some of it. My next door
    neighbor of 30 years, who is surrogate grandfather to my kids, is in
    ICU and not expected to live, so this is not a happy time of year for
    many people.

    I Did Not Die

    Do not stand at my grave and forever weep.
    I am not there; I do not sleep.
    I am a thousand winds that blow.
    I am the diamond glints on snow.
    I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
    I am the gentle autumn’s rain.
    When you awaken in the morning’s hush
    I am the swift uplifting rush
    Of quiet birds in circled flight.
    I am the soft stars that shine at night.
    Do not stand at my grave and forever cry.
    I am not there. I did not die.

    Melinda Sue Pacho

  8. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    > I Did Not Die
    >
    > Do not stand at my grave and forever weep.
    > I am not there; I do not sleep.
    > I am a thousand winds that blow.
    > I am the diamond glints on snow.
    > I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
    > I am the gentle autumn's rain.
    > When you awaken in the morning's hush
    > I am the swift uplifting rush
    > Of quiet birds in circled flight.
    > I am the soft stars that shine at night.
    > Do not stand at my grave and forever cry.
    > I am not there. I did not die.
    >
    > Melinda Sue Pacho

    Thanks for your thoughtfulness in posting this poem.
    Dee Dee

  9. ms_peacock

    ms_peacock Guest

    "sf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 03:20:54 GMT, Puester wrote:
    >
    >> (after watching our four year old grandson)

    > We should form a grandparents of four year olds club... my grandson is
    > 4 too. I think Barb has a granddaughter who is somewhere near 4 too.
    > I wonder how many other grandparents of 4 year olds are here?
    >
    > LOL
    > --
    >
    > Practice safe eating. Always use condiments.

    My 4 year old granddaughter turned 5 the 20th. About every other sentence
    is "because I'm five."

    Ms P

  10. On Mon 26 Dec 2005 08:59:08a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
    ms_peacock?

    > "sf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 03:20:54 GMT, Puester wrote:
    >>
    >>> (after watching our four year old grandson)

    >> We should form a grandparents of four year olds club... my grandson is
    >> 4 too. I think Barb has a granddaughter who is somewhere near 4 too.
    >> I wonder how many other grandparents of 4 year olds are here?
    >>
    >> LOL
    >> --
    >>
    >> Practice safe eating. Always use condiments.

    > My 4 year old granddaughter turned 5 the 20th. About every other
    > sentence is "because I'm five."

    For the past year I've been saying "because I'm sixty"! I'll have to stop
    that in January. <g>

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

  11. Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    > On Mon 26 Dec 2005 08:59:08a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
    > ms_peacock?
    >
    >> "sf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]

    >>> We should form a grandparents of four year olds club... my grandson is
    >>> 4 too. I think Barb has a granddaughter who is somewhere near 4 too.
    >>> I wonder how many other grandparents of 4 year olds are here?
    >>>
    >>> LOL
    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> Practice safe eating. Always use condiments.

    >> My 4 year old granddaughter turned 5 the 20th. About every other
    >> sentence is "because I'm five."

    > For the past year I've been saying "because I'm sixty"! I'll have to stop
    > that in January. <g>

    Well Happy birthday to you then. You'll just have to change it to
    "Because I'm a Grumpy Old Fart", and thus hiding your actual age.

  12. On Mon 26 Dec 2005 09:35:04a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Mr Libido
    Incognito?

    > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    >> On Mon 26 Dec 2005 08:59:08a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
    >> ms_peacock?
    >>
    >>> "sf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>> news:[email protected]

    >>> My 4 year old granddaughter turned 5 the 20th. About every other
    >>> sentence is "because I'm five."

    >> For the past year I've been saying "because I'm sixty"! I'll have to
    >> stop that in January. <g>
    >>

    > Well Happy birthday to you then. You'll just have to change it to
    > "Because I'm a Grumpy Old Fart", and thus hiding your actual age.

    LOL! Good idea, Alan. I'll do that!

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

  13. Ophelia

    Ophelia Guest

    --
    http://www.qpat.co.uk/

    "Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Mon 26 Dec 2005 08:59:08a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
    > ms_peacock?
    >

    >> "sf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]

    >>> We should form a grandparents of four year olds club... my grandson
    >>> is
    >>> 4 too. I think Barb has a granddaughter who is somewhere near 4
    >>> too.
    >>> I wonder how many other grandparents of 4 year olds are here?
    >>>
    >>> LOL
    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> Practice safe eating. Always use condiments.

    >> My 4 year old granddaughter turned 5 the 20th. About every other
    >> sentence is "because I'm five."

    > For the past year I've been saying "because I'm sixty"! I'll have to
    > stop
    > that in January. <g>

    My grandson sent David a birthday card and on it below OPA was a large
    4! when asked why he had written that he said 'Because I am 4' :))

  14. Cindy Fuller

    Cindy Fuller Guest

    It was all eat, all the time here this weekend as well. Friday night
    the next door neighbors had their traditional blowout. Saturday we had
    our (new) traditional Singapore chili crab dinner. About 10 Saturday
    night we got a plaintive call from the neighbor: "Do you have any
    yeast? I need to make butterhorns and ran out." I had a canister of
    SAF in the freezer and came to the rescue. We each had one for brunch
    on Sunday--mmmm! Dinner was duck à l'orange, buttermilk mashed
    potatoes, fennel braised in white wine, cranberry-orange relish, and key
    lime pie. We had invited SO's mom to join us, but she was feeling
    poorly. We brought her and her aide some key lime pie after dinner,
    along with presents.

    We may go downtown this afternoon and walk off some of the wretched
    excess calories.

    Cindy

    --
    C.J. Fuller

    Delete the obvious to email me

  15. Puester

    Puester Guest

    sf wrote:
    > On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 03:20:54 GMT, Puester wrote:
    >

    >> (after watching our four year old grandson)

    > We should form a grandparents of four year olds club... my grandson is
    > 4 too. I think Barb has a granddaughter who is somewhere near 4 too.
    > I wonder how many other grandparents of 4 year olds are here?
    >
    > LOL
    > --

    Yes, Barb's sweetheart turned 4 in December.

    Aren't they a trip?

    gloria p

  16. Puester

    Puester Guest

    Ophelia wrote:
    > "sf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 03:20:54 GMT, Puester wrote:
    >>

    >>> (after watching our four year old grandson)

    >>We should form a grandparents of four year olds club... my grandson is
    >>4 too. I think Barb has a granddaughter who is somewhere near 4 too.
    >>I wonder how many other grandparents of 4 year olds are here?

    > O raises hand:)) My Grandson is 4 too:))

    Welcome to the club!

    gloria p

  17. Ophelia

    Ophelia Guest

    --
    http://www.qpat.co.uk/

    "Puester" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Ophelia wrote:
    >> "sf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]

    >>>We should form a grandparents of four year olds club... my grandson
    >>>is
    >>>4 too. I think Barb has a granddaughter who is somewhere near 4 too.
    >>>I wonder how many other grandparents of 4 year olds are here?

    >> O raises hand:)) My Grandson is 4 too:))

    > Welcome to the club!

    Thank you:))) It is the best club to be in:)))

  18. On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 00:34:03 -0800, sf <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 03:20:54 GMT, Puester wrote:
    >
    >> (after watching our four year old grandson)

    >We should form a grandparents of four year olds club... my grandson is
    >4 too. I think Barb has a granddaughter who is somewhere near 4 too.
    >I wonder how many other grandparents of 4 year olds are here?
    >
    >LOL

    My granddaughter will be four in February. For me, this holiday was
    one of the least stressful in many years and a total joy... and with
    MUCH great food. All the family was together along with DIL's
    parents. I'm still amazed at how wonderful the whole holiday season
    was. I won't talk about the need for getting serious about losing the
    added weight gain of the holiday. LOL

  19. sf

    sf Guest

    On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 19:51:46 GMT, Puester wrote:

    > sf wrote:
    > > On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 03:20:54 GMT, Puester wrote:
    > >

    > >> (after watching our four year old grandson)

    > > We should form a grandparents of four year olds club... my grandson is
    > > 4 too. I think Barb has a granddaughter who is somewhere near 4 too.
    > > I wonder how many other grandparents of 4 year olds are here?
    > >
    > > LOL
    > > --
    > >

    > Yes, Barb's sweetheart turned 4 in December.
    >
    > Aren't they a trip?

    4 is the best! Lots of language, but still innocent enough to
    "believe".

  20. sf

    sf Guest

    On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 21:27:48 GMT, Audrey Lemons wrote:

    > On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 00:34:03 -0800, sf <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 03:20:54 GMT, Puester wrote:
    > >
    > >> (after watching our four year old grandson)

    > >We should form a grandparents of four year olds club... my grandson is
    > >4 too. I think Barb has a granddaughter who is somewhere near 4 too.
    > >I wonder how many other grandparents of 4 year olds are here?
    > >
    > >LOL

    > My granddaughter will be four in February. For me, this holiday was
    > one of the least stressful in many years and a total joy... and with
    > MUCH great food. All the family was together along with DIL's
    > parents. I'm still amazed at how wonderful the whole holiday season
    > was. I won't talk about the need for getting serious about losing the
    > added weight gain of the holiday. LOL

    What's a little extra weight among friends? LOL You can lose it
    later.