Christmas Day overindulgence

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Puester, Dec 25, 2005.

  1. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    >> For the past year I've been saying "because I'm sixty"! I'll have to
    >> stop
    >> that in January. <g>
    >>

    > Well Happy birthday to you then. You'll just have to change it to
    > "Because I'm a Grumpy Old Fart", and thus hiding your actual age.

    Did anyone see the special about 'old people' this weekend - the ones who
    have succeeded in life. There was a doctor who did the first by-pass who is
    abt. 97. One thing they all had in common in addition to their physical
    health was/is their mental facilities/faculties. I would've loved to have
    heard some hard questions asked about their eating habits. Mostly it was
    about work, success, stress and exercise, family relations, faith, but
    nothing about that which we put in our mouth/fuel tank.

    What reminded me of this is 'because I'm 60,' was that one guy said that
    when he hit 60, he wondered if he'd make it to 70, and so on, something
    about each decade, and now that he is 87, he says it is his best decade, but
    he was the most active physically one interviewed.
    Dee Dee

  2. On Mon 26 Dec 2005 04:12:44p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
    Randall?

    >>> For the past year I've been saying "because I'm sixty"! I'll have to
    >>> stop that in January. <g>
    >>>

    >> Well Happy birthday to you then. You'll just have to change it to
    >> "Because I'm a Grumpy Old Fart", and thus hiding your actual age.

    > Did anyone see the special about 'old people' this weekend - the ones
    > who have succeeded in life. There was a doctor who did the first
    > by-pass who is abt. 97. One thing they all had in common in addition
    > to their physical health was/is their mental facilities/faculties. I
    > would've loved to have heard some hard questions asked about their
    > eating habits. Mostly it was about work, success, stress and exercise,
    > family relations, faith, but nothing about that which we put in our
    > mouth/fuel tank.
    >
    > What reminded me of this is 'because I'm 60,' was that one guy said that
    > when he hit 60, he wondered if he'd make it to 70, and so on, something
    > about each decade, and now that he is 87, he says it is his best decade,
    > but he was the most active physically one interviewed.
    > Dee Dee

    No, I didn't see it. No one on either side of my family has passed away
    younger than 83. My paternal granmother was 101. I try not to speculate
    on how many years I have left, but I hope it's quite a few. <g>

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

  3. On 26 Dec 2005 17:29:17 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >For the past year I've been saying "because I'm sixty"! I'll have to stop
    >that in January. <g>

    Come this March, I will be able to say, "because I am 55".....

    Christine, who finds it hard to believe

  4. On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 13:52:48 -0800, sf <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >What's a little extra weight among friends? LOL You can lose it
    >later.

    I have been saying that for years..and each year I have a little more
    to lose.... LOL

    Christine

  5. Dee Randall wrote:
    > > I Did Not Die
    > >
    > > Do not stand at my grave and forever weep.
    > > I am not there; I do not sleep.
    > > I am a thousand winds that blow.
    > > I am the diamond glints on snow.
    > > I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
    > > I am the gentle autumn's rain.
    > > When you awaken in the morning's hush
    > > I am the swift uplifting rush
    > > Of quiet birds in circled flight.
    > > I am the soft stars that shine at night.
    > > Do not stand at my grave and forever cry.
    > > I am not there. I did not die.
    > >
    > > Melinda Sue Pacho

    > Thanks for your thoughtfulness in posting this poem.
    > Dee Dee

    Yes, thank you very much! Very touching, much appreciated.

  6. Dee wrote:

    > What reminded me of this is 'because I'm 60,' was that one guy said that
    > when he hit 60, he wondered if he'd make it to 70, and so on, something
    > about each decade, and now that he is 87, he says it is his best decade,
    > but he was the most active physically one interviewed.

    Reminds me of when Phyllis Diller asked Bob Hope who would ever want to be
    100 years old. Hope replied, "Anybody who's 99."

    Bob

  7. Carol Garbo

    Carol Garbo Guest

    Re: Grandparents of 4 year olds club. My youngest (Alexis Grace) will
    be 4 in February. Carol

    Our life may not always be the party we would have chosen, but while we
    are here, we may as well dance!

  8. Puester

    Puester Guest

    Carol Garbo wrote:
    > Re: Grandparents of 4 year olds club. My youngest (Alexis Grace) will
    > be 4 in February. Carol

    Okay, you're eligible....

    gloria p

  9. In article <7%[email protected]>,
    Puester <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Carol Garbo wrote:
    > > Re: Grandparents of 4 year olds club. My youngest (Alexis Grace) will
    > > be 4 in February. Carol
    > >

    > Okay, you're eligible....
    >
    > gloria p

    Membership roles have been adjusted to reflect the addition, Madam
    President. Annual membership dues are payable to me--annually, on the
    anniversary of the grand's birth. Badge, magic ring, Secret Password,
    DVD demonstrating the Secret Handshake, and subscription to Cookie Times
    will be forthcoming upon receipt and deposit of dues.
    -Barb, Recording Secretary and Treasurer
    --
    http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 12-22-05

  10. > Dee Randall wrote:
    > > > I Did Not Die
    > > >
    > > > Do not stand at my grave and forever weep.
    > > > I am not there; I do not sleep.
    > > > I am a thousand winds that blow.
    > > > I am the diamond glints on snow.
    > > > I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
    > > > I am the gentle autumn's rain.
    > > > When you awaken in the morning's hush
    > > > I am the swift uplifting rush
    > > > Of quiet birds in circled flight.
    > > > I am the soft stars that shine at night.
    > > > Do not stand at my grave and forever cry.
    > > > I am not there. I did not die.
    > > >
    > > > Melinda Sue Pacho

    > > Thanks for your thoughtfulness in posting this poem.
    > > Dee Dee

    > Yes, thank you very much! Very touching, much appreciated.

    i bought this poem as a rubber stamp to put on handmade
    sympathy cards. the only variation is the forever in the 1st
    & next to the last lines, it's not on my stamp. i think various
    companies make it.

  11. serene

    serene Guest

    On 25 Dec 2005 19:31:35 -0800, "itsjoannotjoann"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >We had a Christmas brunch today as well but no over indulgence. We
    >usually have a full blown Christmas dinner but today was very subdued.
    >We buried our 60 year old brother on Friday, so our spirits are pretty
    >low.

    Oh, Joan, so sorry to hear that.

    serene

  12. On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 15:24:32 -0800, serene <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > On 25 Dec 2005 19:31:35 -0800, "itsjoannotjoann"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >We had a Christmas brunch today as well but no over indulgence. We
    > >usually have a full blown Christmas dinner but today was very subdued.
    > >We buried our 60 year old brother on Friday, so our spirits are pretty
    > >low.

    > Oh, Joan, so sorry to hear that.

    How did I miss your original post, Joan? I'm so, so sorry. 60 is too
    young. Please accept Crash and my condolences.

    Carol

  13. Puester

    Puester Guest

    Ranee Mueller wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > Puester <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>folar (Portuguese white bread baked with chunks of ham and
    >> meaty, garlicky linguica sausage throughout)

    > Do you have a recipe for this, or is it something you just make and
    > know how to do?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ranee

    I usually buy raw French or Italian bread dough from an instore bakery,
    let it rise once, punch down, and spread thinly to place the meat in
    it, roll up into a log, then fold into a circular glass or hreavy metal
    pie pan, let rise again, then bake. There's really no recipe.

    Congratulations on your impending arrival. When are you due?

    gloria p

  14. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "Puester" <[email protected]> wrote

    > I usually buy raw French or Italian bread dough from an instore bakery,
    > let it rise once, punch down, and spread thinly to place the meat in it,
    > roll up into a log, then fold into a circular glass or hreavy metal pie
    > pan, let rise again, then bake. There's really no recipe.

    Yeah! Stromboli! And add all the roasted peppers/hot peppers/
    whatever, you like, before you roll it up. Cheese. Olives.
    Nice to paint the outside with beaten egg for a nice finished look.

    nancy

  15. In article <[email protected]>,
    Puester <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I usually buy raw French or Italian bread dough from an instore bakery,
    > let it rise once, punch down, and spread thinly to place the meat in
    > it, roll up into a log, then fold into a circular glass or hreavy metal
    > pie pan, let rise again, then bake. There's really no recipe.

    Sounds good, I can do that.

    > Congratulations on your impending arrival. When are you due?

    Thank you. Due early September, probably delivering late August.

    Regards,
    Ranee

    Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

    http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/