Christmas Dinner for One

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by dwacon, Dec 23, 2005.

  1. dwacon

    dwacon Guest

    Planning on soaking a rib eye in beer for 24 hours before pan frying it to
    medium. Not sure what I will have as side dishes -- perhaps some mashed
    potatoes? Hmm... or maybe I'll just go for some blanched spinach.

    Suggestions?

    --
    The generation that used acid to escape reality
    is now using antacid to deal with reality

    Tags:

  2. King's Crown

    King's Crown Guest

    "dwacon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Planning on soaking a rib eye in beer for 24 hours before pan frying it to
    > medium. Not sure what I will have as side dishes -- perhaps some mashed
    > potatoes? Hmm... or maybe I'll just go for some blanched spinach.
    >
    > Suggestions?

    Baked potato with the works (dash of butter, sour cream, green onions, bacon
    crumbles)
    Blanched spinach sounds good or maybe some steamed broccoli

    Lynne

  3. "dwacon" <[email protected]> looking for trouble wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Planning on soaking a rib eye in beer for 24 hours before pan frying
    > it to medium. Not sure what I will have as side dishes -- perhaps
    > some mashed potatoes? Hmm... or maybe I'll just go for some blanched
    > spinach.
    >
    > Suggestions?

    Try some fresh hoseradish. Spinach is good. Blanch it. Put on a blue cheese
    or roquefort. And don't forget butter.

    Michael

    --
    ....Bacteria: The rear entrance to a cafeteria.

    All gramatical errors and misspellings due to Ramsey the cyber kitten. He
    now owns all keyboards and computing devices in the household and has the
    final say on what is, or is not, posted.
    Send email to dog30 at charter dot net

  4. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
    > "dwacon" <[email protected]> looking for trouble wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >
    >> Planning on soaking a rib eye in beer for 24 hours before pan frying
    >> it to medium. Not sure what I will have as side dishes -- perhaps
    >> some mashed potatoes? Hmm... or maybe I'll just go for some blanched
    >> spinach.
    >>
    >> Suggestions?

    > Try some fresh hoseradish. Spinach is good. Blanch it. Put on a blue
    > cheese or roquefort. And don't forget butter.
    >
    > Michael

    Pan fry fresh spinach leaves in oil about 60 seconds until crispy. YUM

    Jill

  5. BOB

    BOB Guest

    dwacon wrote:
    :: Planning on soaking a rib eye in beer for 24 hours before pan
    frying it to
    :: medium.

    That should be considered alcohol abuse. Why ruin one of the best
    steaks availible by half-cooking it in beer? If you must soak a steak
    in beer, get a cheaper, less tasty one.

    If you already have the rib eye, the best way is to sear it at a very
    high temperature for about 15 to 45 seconds (depending on the
    thickness of the ribeye), flip and do the same. Then reduce the heat
    and cook 'til your preferred doneness is reached.
    This is better done on a wood or charcoal fired grill.

    ::Not sure what I will have as side dishes -- perhaps some mashed
    :: potatoes? Hmm... or maybe I'll just go for some blanched spinach.
    ::
    :: Suggestions?
    ::
    ::

    Cheap and easy and very good..."Tater Tots" cooked on the grill,
    adding a slightly smokey taste since the grill is already hot.
    Hmmmmmmm! Now I'm reconsidering what to have for my Christmas dinner.

    BOB

    --
    Raw Meat Should NOT Have An Ingredients List

  6. dwacon

    dwacon Guest

    > Pan fry fresh spinach leaves in oil about 60 seconds until crispy. YUM

    I like that idea... have never tried that before. Today will be a day of
    experimentation!

    --
    The generation that used acid to escape reality
    is now using antacid to deal with reality
    http://www.dwacon.com

  7. dwacon

    dwacon Guest

    " BOB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > dwacon wrote:
    > :: Planning on soaking a rib eye in beer for 24 hours before pan frying it
    > :: medium.
    >
    > That should be considered alcohol abuse. Why ruin one of the best steaks
    > availible by half-cooking it in beer? If you must soak a steak in beer,
    > get a cheaper, less tasty one.

    My favorite restaurant serves "drunken rib eye" so I thought I would try it.
    Have it soaking in one part Guinness and one part Beamish. Will try searing
    it -- have a seasoned cast iron pan for that duty -- then lower heat and
    continue to medium.

    Think I will boil the two taters (skin on) and then serve them "smashed"
    with some Danish Butter.

    Thanks for all the ideas.

    --
    I made magic once. Now, the sofa is gone...
    http://www.dwacon.com

  8. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    dwacon wrote:
    > "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >> Pan fry fresh spinach leaves in oil about 60 seconds until crispy.
    >> YUM

    > I like that idea... have never tried that before. Today will be a
    > day of experimentation!

    Was originally served as a "bed" for a chicken breast dish but I wound up
    eating the spinach and kicked the chicken breast to the side. The spinach
    was much more tasty. And of course, as with anything you really like it was
    soon removed from the menu. They actually deep fried it but pan frying
    works just the same. Use a mild oil like canola.

    Jill

  9. dwacon

    dwacon Guest

    > dwacon wrote:
    >> "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>
    >>> Pan fry fresh spinach leaves in oil about 60 seconds until crispy.
    >>> YUM

    >> I like that idea... have never tried that before. Today will be a
    >> day of experimentation!

    > Was originally served as a "bed" for a chicken breast dish but I wound up
    > eating the spinach and kicked the chicken breast to the side. The spinach
    > was much more tasty. And of course, as with anything you really like it
    > was
    > soon removed from the menu. They actually deep fried it but pan frying
    > works just the same. Use a mild oil like canola.

    I used olive oil that had some peppers and herbs in it... very intriguing
    flavor. This will be a new favorite.

    Wonder how it would taste with bacon fat?

    --
    dwacon
    www.dwacon.com