Christmas Dinner Help

Lorenzo

Guest
Hi folks,

Firstly I am a man, and secondly I am attempting Xmas dinner for first time
tomorrow. I am not complete idiot but an very lazy (esp at Xmas) so we have
Marks and Spencer Turkey crown, ready to cook roast potatoes and ready to
cook parsnips.

My problem - age old - is that the potatoes need to be gas mark 8 and the
turkey gas mark 4. This is a big difference so cooking everything at mid
point might not right. Would there be much difference between top and
botton of oven? If I was to cook all at gas mark 7 and put turkey at bottom
shelf with tin foil, would that be likely to work? Would I just allow the
same time as if it was gas mark 4??

Many thanks for any advice!

"Lorenzo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi folks,
>
> Firstly I am a man, and secondly I am attempting Xmas dinner for first
> time tomorrow. I am not complete idiot but an very lazy (esp at Xmas)
> so we have Marks and Spencer Turkey crown, ready to cook roast
> potatoes and ready to cook parsnips.
>
> My problem - age old - is that the potatoes need to be gas mark 8 and
> the turkey gas mark 4. This is a big difference so cooking everything
> at mid point might not right. Would there be much difference between
> top and botton of oven? If I was to cook all at gas mark 7 and put
> turkey at bottom shelf with tin foil, would that be likely to work?
> Would I just allow the same time as if it was gas mark 4??
>
> Many thanks for any advice!

precook your potatoes (I steam mine). When the turkey is cooked put it
aside covered in tin foil. Turn up your oven and finish off the
potatoes for half an hour or so. The turkey will stay hot!

--
http://www.qpat.co.uk/

Lorenzo wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Firstly I am a man, and secondly I am attempting Xmas dinner for first time
> tomorrow. I am not complete idiot but an very lazy (esp at Xmas) so we have
> Marks and Spencer Turkey crown, ready to cook roast potatoes and ready to
> cook parsnips.
>
> My problem - age old - is that the potatoes need to be gas mark 8 and the
> turkey gas mark 4. This is a big difference so cooking everything at mid
> point might not right. Would there be much difference between top and
> botton of oven? If I was to cook all at gas mark 7 and put turkey at bottom
> shelf with tin foil, would that be likely to work? Would I just allow the
> same time as if it was gas mark 4??

That is one of the reasons most people have mashed potatoes, since they can be
done on the oven. Alternately, you can roast the potatoes along with the turkey.
The turkey has to come out about a half hour before serving to give it a chance
to rest for a while before carving, which gives you time to do the gravy. You
can crank up the heat after the bird comes out and that should be enough time to
brown them.

Thanks - good advice and it worked a treat!