Christmas dinner

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Dawn, Dec 15, 2005.

  1. Dawn

    Dawn Guest

    I've got a glazed ham and I was thinking of tossing the packet it comes
    with and making a nice orange sauce. Add a side of cranberry salad, some
    cheesy corn, and.... I'm still working on the rest.

    What are the rest of you planning?

    Dawn

    Tags:

  2. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    Dawn wrote:

    > I've got a glazed ham and I was thinking of tossing the packet it comes
    > with and making a nice orange sauce. Add a side of cranberry salad, some
    > cheesy corn, and.... I'm still working on the rest.
    >
    > What are the rest of you planning?
    >

    > Dawn

    25th
    - glazed ham (bone in)
    - scalloped potatoes
    - niblet corn
    - salads
    - apple pie

    26th
    - turkey
    - dressing
    - mashed potatoes
    - gravy
    - squash
    - apple pie
    - kibby as an appetizer

  3. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    Dawn wrote:
    > I've got a glazed ham and I was thinking of tossing the packet it comes
    > with and making a nice orange sauce.

    That packet is brown sugar and a wee bit of cinnamon, can't hurt to use
    it... but you need to add whatever liquid they specify... so why not
    say "what do they know, screw em"... use orange juice as the liquid,
    even better use frozen oj concentrate with half the water, and even
    better than water use your favorite white wine.

  4. Since 1981 we have committed ourselves beforehand to cooking and eating
    whatever is the main Christmas dinner in the December issue of Gourmet
    magazine. This forces us to cook and eat 2 or 3 things that we never had
    before every year. We become better cooks and expand our repetoire.
    This year it is an appetizer of mussels. The main entre is a crown roast of
    pork with sage stuffing, potatoes roasted with lardons, a puree of celeriac
    and apple, and French green beans. The dessert will plow new ground for me
    using pate au choux to make a Paris Brest that will be served with poached
    oranges.
    Sincerley yours,
    Ed Warren

    "Dawn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > I've got a glazed ham and I was thinking of tossing the packet it comes
    > with and making a nice orange sauce. Add a side of cranberry salad, some
    > cheesy corn, and.... I'm still working on the rest.
    >
    > What are the rest of you planning?
    >

    > Dawn

  5. On Thu 15 Dec 2005 08:17:31p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dr. Edward
    Warren?

    > Since 1981 we have committed ourselves beforehand to cooking and eating
    > whatever is the main Christmas dinner in the December issue of Gourmet
    > magazine. This forces us to cook and eat 2 or 3 things that we never
    > had before every year. We become better cooks and expand our repetoire.
    > This year it is an appetizer of mussels. The main entre is a crown
    > roast of pork with sage stuffing, potatoes roasted with lardons, a puree
    > of celeriac and apple, and French green beans. The dessert will plow
    > new ground for me using pate au choux to make a Paris Brest that will be
    > served with poached oranges.
    > Sincerley yours,
    > Ed Warren

    I have always loved Gourmet's holiday menus. Although we haven't done it
    with annual precision, we have duplicated their holiday menus many times
    over the years. It is always an adventure and never a disappointment.

    Enjoy!

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

  6. ms. tonya

    ms. tonya Guest

    [email protected] (Dawn)WROTE:
    I've got a glazed ham and I was thinking of tossing the packet it comes
    with and making a nice orange sauce. Add a side of cranberry salad, some
    cheesy corn, and.... I'm still working on the rest.
    What are the rest of you planning?
    Dawn-----------------------------------------------
    RESPONSE: Baked ham, amish baked beans,green bean casserole using french
    cut beans,whipped potatoes with gravy, salad, rolls or bread bought @
    our local yuppy store, and for dessert -his favorite & his pick- twinkie
    pudding.

  7. ~patches~ wrote:
    > Dawn wrote:
    >

    >> I've got a glazed ham and I was thinking of tossing the packet it
    >> comes with and making a nice orange sauce. Add a side of cranberry
    >> salad, some cheesy corn, and.... I'm still working on the rest.
    >>
    >> What are the rest of you planning?
    >>

    >> Dawn

    > 25th
    > - glazed ham (bone in)
    > - scalloped potatoes
    > - niblet corn

    is this just corn with especialy big kernels?

    > - salads
    > - apple pie
    >
    > 26th
    > - turkey
    > - dressing
    > - mashed potatoes
    > - gravy
    > - squash
    > - apple pie
    > - kibby as an appetizer

    is this kibby the same as kibbe? I love that stuff, but I prefer the raw
    kind :)

    --

    saerah

    -Baruch Spinoza

    -Douglas Adams

  8. On Fri, 16 Dec 2005, Dawn wrote:

    > I've got a glazed ham and I was thinking of tossing the packet it comes
    > with and making a nice orange sauce. Add a side of cranberry salad, some
    > cheesy corn, and.... I'm still working on the rest.
    >
    > What are the rest of you planning?
    >

    > Dawn

    We're the stuck-in-a-rut family. Christmas is ham and the "usual
    suspects".

    Green bean casserole (I don't want to hear it! <g>)
    Sweet potatoes (I do get to pick which kind - candied or casserole)
    Southern fried corn
    Broccoli with cream sauce
    Creamed Potatoes

    Waldorf salad
    Elaine's pear concoction (It was an accident, I swear)
    Mom's OrangeJello/pineapple/whipping cream salad

    Yeast Rolls

    Banana Pudding
    Pumpkin or Sweet Potato Pie(s)
    Pecan or French Coconut Pie(s)

    Fresh Apple or German Chocolate cake (maybe)

    Aw, geez. I'm exhausted all ready.

    Elaine, too