Christmas Ham - Gravy?

Wiscottsin

Guest
Hi all:

I'm planning on cooking a ham this year for Christmas, and my wife also wants mashed potatoes as
a side along with some others. Any suggestions for a good gravy for the potatoes that fits in
with the ham?

TIA & Happy Holidays to all,

Scott

I am in the same dilemma and hubby wants potatoes mashed as well on the side.. I was going to have
him pickup HIS favorite canned gravy tomorrow.The kids and I will eat them plain..if he insist on
gravy..get it..or make it (right..)

--

Laura

"WiScottsin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi all:
>
> I'm planning on cooking a ham this year for Christmas, and my wife also wants mashed potatoes as a
> side along with some others. Any suggestions
for
> a good gravy for the potatoes that fits in with the ham?
>
> TIA & Happy Holidays to all,
>
> Scott

>From: "WiScottsin" [email protected]

>I'm planning on cooking a ham this year for Christmas, and my wife also wants mashed potatoes as
>a side along with some others. Any suggestions for a good gravy for the potatoes that fits in
>with the ham?

First off, I serve ham for christmas, as I have anywhere from 25-30 people, so the meal is
necessarily a buffet.Have you considered serving Baked Beans with the Ham? They are an exceptional
side dish,easy to make and then put in a crock a few hours before serving time. A stir every once in
a while is all they need....I only lightly glaze the ham with a combo of duck sauce, pineapples and
their juice, and if that doesn't sing, I'll add a little balsamic vinegar.So, On to the gravies.Red-
eye gravy is a favorite of my southern relatives, but I don't care for it, so since the meal is so
easy, I make 2 gravies,...Red eye, and a this to med. white sauce in which I put fresh parsley,a
little sage & thyme, and onion and garlic powder to taste.Also, for leftovers, you can fold any of
the leftover white sauce, and chunks of ham, with cooked noodles and peas, into a greased casserole
and top with buttered breadcrumbs, or thin the sauce out a bit, make the casserole, and cover with
biscuit dough. HTH, Gail~~~~~~~~~~
---
Please remember the needy... http://www.quickdonations.com ~~~ Artificial Intelligence is
no match for natural stupidity ;o) ~~~

"WiScottsin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all:
>
> I'm planning on cooking a ham this year for Christmas, and my wife also wants mashed potatoes as a
> side along with some others. Any suggestions
for
> a good gravy for the potatoes that fits in with the ham?
>
> TIA & Happy Holidays to all,
>
> Scott

Ham gravy is delicious. That is if you bake your ham without all the sweet toppings. Janet

"WiScottsin" <[email protected]> writes:

>Any suggestions for a good gravy for the potatoes that fits in with the ham?

Basic Pan Gravy

2 tablespoons meat drippings 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour 1 cup liquid (beef or chicken broth,
water, meat juices, or a combination of them) Salt and pepper, to taste

After the meat is removed from the pan and put in a warm place, pour off all but 2 tablespoons of
the pan juices in the skillet. If you're not sure about how much is left in the pan, pour off all
the drippings and measure 2 tablespoons back into the skillet. Heat up the drippings over medium-low
heat. Sprinkle the flour over the heated drippings, and stir it constantly so that the flour "cooks"
for about a minute. Then gradually add the liquid, stirring constantly, until the gravy begins to
thicken and bubble. Add the salt and pepper. Remove the skillet from the heat, serve over rice,
biscuits, noodles, potatoes, etc.

Connie
My mind is like a steel...um, whatchamacallit.

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 16:58:15 -0600, "WiScottsin" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Hi all:
>
>I'm planning on cooking a ham this year for Christmas, and my wife also wants mashed potatoes as
>a side along with some others. Any suggestions for a good gravy for the potatoes that fits in
>with the ham?
>
>TIA & Happy Holidays to all,
>
>Scott

I have the same problem. I made "ham gravy" once and it wasn't good at all, but potatoes and gravy
are in great demand.

Red Eye Gravy is served with country ham and biscuits. I have never heard of it being served on
mashed potatoes.

Ham is a hard one to match with a gravy I would sujest some sort of mint or fruit sauce? not a havey
fat based gravy.

What would depend on how sweet the ham "Laura" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I am in the same dilemma and hubby wants potatoes mashed as well on the side.. I was going to have
> him pickup HIS favorite canned gravy tomorrow.The kids and I will eat them plain..if he insist on
> gravy..get it..or make it (right..)
>
> --
>
> Laura
>

> "WiScottsin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hi all:
> >
> > I'm planning on cooking a ham this year for Christmas, and my wife also wants mashed potatoes as
> > a side along with some others. Any suggestions
> for
> > a good gravy for the potatoes that fits in with the ham?
> >
> > TIA & Happy Holidays to all,
> >
> > Scott

"WiScottsin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all:
>
> I'm planning on cooking a ham this year for Christmas, and my wife also wants mashed potatoes as a
> side along with some others. Any suggestions
for
> a good gravy for the potatoes that fits in with the ham?
>
> TIA & Happy Holidays to all,
>
> Scott

Have you tried butter? Good mashed potatoes have no need of anything else.

Charlie

"WiScottsin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all:
>
> I'm planning on cooking a ham this year for Christmas, and my wife also wants mashed potatoes as a
> side along with some others. Any suggestions
for
> a good gravy for the potatoes that fits in with the ham?
>
> TIA & Happy Holidays to all,
>
> Scott

There is a name for this other than raisin gravy and for the life of me I'm pulling a mental block.
It is traditional with ham.

Dimitri

1/2 cup brown sugar, packed 2 tablespoons cornstarch 1 teaspoon ground mustard 1 1/2 cups water
2/2 cup white raisins 2 tablespoons white vinegar 2 tablespoons lemon juice
3/4 teaspoon lemon, rind of 2 tablespoons butter or margarine

4. In a saucepan combine brown sugar, cornstarch and mustard.
5. Stir in water, raisins, vinegar, lemon juice and lemon peel until blended.
6. Bring to a boil and cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
7. Stir in butter until melted.
8. Serve warm over baked sliced ham.

"Dimiri" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> "WiScottsin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Hi all:
>>
>> I'm planning on cooking a ham this year for Christmas, and my wife also wants mashed potatoes as
>> a side along with some others. Any suggestions
> for
>> a good gravy for the potatoes that fits in with the ham?
>>
>> TIA & Happy Holidays to all,
>>
>> Scott
>
> There is a name for this other than raisin gravy and for the life of me I'm pulling a mental
> block. It is traditional with ham.
>
> Dimitri
>

> 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed 2 tablespoons cornstarch 1 teaspoon ground mustard 1 1/2 cups water
> 1/2 cup white raisins 2 tablespoons white vinegar 2 tablespoons lemon juice
> 1/4 teaspoon lemon, rind of 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
>
> 1. In a saucepan combine brown sugar, cornstarch and mustard.
> 2. Stir in water, raisins, vinegar, lemon juice and lemon peel until blended.
> 3. Bring to a boil and cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
> 4. Stir in butter until melted.
> 5. Serve warm over baked sliced ham.

We always called it "Raisin Sauce". So does our cookbook, but I suppose there might be other names.
The recipe is very similar to yours, but it also calls for a small amount of current jelly and
ground cloves.

Wayne

"Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > "WiScottsin" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed 2 tablespoons cornstarch 1 teaspoon ground mustard 1 1/2 cups water
> > 1/2 cup white raisins 2 tablespoons white vinegar 2 tablespoons lemon juice
> > 1/4 teaspoon lemon, rind of 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
> >
> > 1. In a saucepan combine brown sugar, cornstarch and mustard.
> > 2. Stir in water, raisins, vinegar, lemon juice and lemon peel until blended.
> > 3. Bring to a boil and cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
> > 4. Stir in butter until melted.
> > 5. Serve warm over baked sliced ham.
> >

> We always called it "Raisin Sauce". So does our cookbook, but I suppose there might be other
> names. The recipe is very similar to yours, but it also calls for a small amount of current jelly
> and ground cloves.
>
> Wayne

These sound like variations on the Cumberland Sauce theme. Cumberland Sauce is a classic British
sauce for game etc. that usually includes currants or currant jelly, and oranges and/or lemons, and
cloves and other spices. Very good - for years I've made a cranberry cumberland sauce to go with
Thanksgiving turkey that is basically cranberries cooked in a spicy cumberland sauce with lots of
orange zest. Substituting raisins for the currants and adding a bit of mustard, perhaps with the
addition of some currant jelly, would be a nice version to go with ham. Or use dried currants
instead of the raisins.

HG

"Charles Gifford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "WiScottsin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hi all:
> >
> > I'm planning on cooking a ham this year for Christmas, and my wife also wants mashed potatoes as
> > a side along with some others. Any suggestions
> for
> > a good gravy for the potatoes that fits in with the ham?
> >
> > TIA & Happy Holidays to all,
> >
> > Scott
>
> Have you tried butter? Good mashed potatoes have no need of anything else.
>
> Charlie

Butter would be fine with me, my wife wants gravy.

WiScottsin wrote:

> "Charles Gifford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>"WiScottsin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...
>>
>>>Hi all:
>>>
>>>I'm planning on cooking a ham this year for Christmas, and my wife also wants mashed potatoes as
>>>a side along with some others. Any suggestions
>>
>>for
>>
>>>a good gravy for the potatoes that fits in with the ham?
>>>
>>>TIA & Happy Holidays to all,
>>>
>>>Scott
>>
>>Have you tried butter? Good mashed potatoes have no need of anything else.
>>
>>Charlie
>>

> Butter would be fine with me, my wife wants gravy.

Wish that I could help you but ham gravy is one thing that I've never been able to get right. It
always comes out to greasy for me. I gave up. We're having Maine lobster and king crab legs this
year. Not traditional, I know but we don't care.

Well. I *think* that we're having lobster. They are theoretically coming in from Maine today but
I haven't seen the delivery guy yet... I'd better or I'll have to take something outta the
freezer. ;-)

--
Steve

husband just bought some Heinz pork gravy in a jar to go with smashed taters and ham tomorrow.. I
just like lots of butter, but I told him. You want gravy, find it..he's fine with that..

--

Laura

"Steve Calvin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Wish that I could help you but ham gravy is one thing that I've never been able to get right. It
> always comes out to greasy for me. I gave up. > Steve

Ham Gravy(made by many in Wisconsin)

Pour off all the grease from baking the ham; save all the brown bits. Save the water that you boiled
the cut up potatoes for mashed potatoes. Make a slurry of corn starch. Use some of the potato water
to deglaze the pan, taste--if too strong or salty for your tastes, add more potato water until
flavor is as you like. Stir in the corn starch slurry. Stir over heat until smooth and clear. Use
left over gravy for adding to bean/pea soup. Janet

Charles Gifford wrote:

> "WiScottsin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Hi all:
>>
>>I'm planning on cooking a ham this year for Christmas, and my wife also wants mashed potatoes as a
>>side along with some others. Any suggestions
>
> for
>
>>a good gravy for the potatoes that fits in with the ham?
>>
>>TIA & Happy Holidays to all,
>>
>>Scott
>

> Have you tried butter? Good mashed potatoes have no need of anything else.
>
> Charlie

Merry Christmas, Charlie, from the SBF and me.
--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and avoid the people, you might bet-
ter stay home."
-- James Michener

"alzelt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Charles Gifford wrote:
>
> > "WiScottsin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >
> >>Hi all:
> >>
> >>I'm planning on cooking a ham this year for Christmas, and my wife also wants mashed potatoes as
> >>a side along with some others. Any suggestions
> >
> > for
> >
> >>a good gravy for the potatoes that fits in with the ham?
> >>
> >>TIA & Happy Holidays to all,
> >>
> >>Scott
> >

> > Have you tried butter? Good mashed potatoes have no need of anything
else.

> > Charlie
> >

> Merry Christmas, Charlie, from the SBF and me.
> --
> Alan

Thank you Alan. And my wishes back to the both of you!

Charlie