chrome rims for BMX

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Davet, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Davet

    Davet Guest

    Hi,

    In BMX chrome rims are considered to increase braking power, but from what I remember from 70's road
    bikes and what I've been reading here chrome rims give less braking power than aluminium. Is this
    becuase of the nature of U-brakes? Thanks for any input.

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, davet <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In BMX chrome rims are considered to increase braking power,

    Bong hits probably do too.

    > but from what I remember from 70's road bikes and what I've been reading here chrome rims
    > give less braking power than aluminium. Is this becuase of the nature of U-brakes? Thanks for
    > any input.

    Unless chrome BMX rims have changed a lot in recent years, they do not offer a better braking
    surface than bare aluminum. And a well-adjusted U-brake can stop a bike pretty well whatever the rim
    is made of.

    The other nasty thing about chrome BMX rims is that unlike that 1970s road bike, the rim is not
    steel - it's chrome on aluminum. A very modest amount of weather exposure will usually get that
    chrome flaking right off. It is pointless except for looks, and adds useless weight. I'd figure the
    gram-counting BMXer would avoid chrome for that reason alone.

    Now if you could get some Motomags in chrome, that would be worth the price of admission.

    --Paul

  3. On Mon, 13 Jan 2003 12:38:03 -0500, davet wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > In BMX chrome rims are considered to increase braking power, but from what I remember from 70's
    > road bikes and what I've been reading here chrome rims give less braking power than aluminium. Is
    > this becuase of the nature of U-brakes? Thanks for any input.

    Yeah, sure. Those U brakes work in a special, physics-defying way that provides friction where no
    sidepull could.

    I would not put much faith in what is considered to be braking power in the BMX crowd.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig... You _`\(,_ | soon find out the
    pig likes it! (_)/ (_) |

  4. Kapers

    Kapers Guest

    Hey. Actually, the chrome rim phenom seems to be exclusive to Freestyle Bmx bikes.
    Dirt/Street/Ramp/Park lords like the consistancy of the braking surface, even if it is not as grippy
    as a machined or brushed aluminum surface, because it does not clog with dirt or pad material.
    Strangely the racer types should love the brushed/machined type as much as we all do but actually
    seem to fall for the hype. Just think, if the TDF were an X-Games event, all teens would be tooling
    around the neighborhood wearing lycra astride oclv Treks...... Take care. Keith.

    yourself > < -at the ground and miss" >

    news:[email protected]...

  5. David L. Johnson <David L. Johnson <[email protected]> wrote:
    >On Mon, 13 Jan 2003 12:38:03 -0500, davet wrote:
    >>In BMX chrome rims are considered to increase braking power, but from
    >I would not put much faith in what is considered to be braking power in the BMX crowd.

    Chaps doing stunts on BMXen don't typically ride in the rain, though.