chrome rims for BMX

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Davet, Jan 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Davet

Davet Guest

Hi,

In BMX chrome rims are considered to increase braking power, but from what I remember from 70's road
    bikes and what I've been reading here chrome rims give less braking power than aluminium. Is this
    becuase of the nature of U-brakes? Thanks for any input.

Tags:

2. In article <[email protected]>, davet <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >In BMX chrome rims are considered to increase braking power,

Bong hits probably do too.

> but from what I remember from 70's road bikes and what I've been reading here chrome rims
    > give less braking power than aluminium. Is this becuase of the nature of U-brakes? Thanks for
    > any input.

Unless chrome BMX rims have changed a lot in recent years, they do not offer a better braking
    surface than bare aluminum. And a well-adjusted U-brake can stop a bike pretty well whatever the rim
    is made of.

The other nasty thing about chrome BMX rims is that unlike that 1970s road bike, the rim is not
    steel - it's chrome on aluminum. A very modest amount of weather exposure will usually get that
    chrome flaking right off. It is pointless except for looks, and adds useless weight. I'd figure the
    gram-counting BMXer would avoid chrome for that reason alone.

Now if you could get some Motomags in chrome, that would be worth the price of admission.

--Paul

3. On Mon, 13 Jan 2003 12:38:03 -0500, davet wrote:

> Hi,
    >
    > In BMX chrome rims are considered to increase braking power, but from what I remember from 70's
    > road bikes and what I've been reading here chrome rims give less braking power than aluminium. Is
    > this becuase of the nature of U-brakes? Thanks for any input.

Yeah, sure. Those U brakes work in a special, physics-defying way that provides friction where no
    sidepull could.

I would not put much faith in what is considered to be braking power in the BMX crowd.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig... You _`\(,_ | soon find out the
    pig likes it! (_)/ (_) |

4. Kapers

Kapers Guest

Hey. Actually, the chrome rim phenom seems to be exclusive to Freestyle Bmx bikes.
    Dirt/Street/Ramp/Park lords like the consistancy of the braking surface, even if it is not as grippy
    as a machined or brushed aluminum surface, because it does not clog with dirt or pad material.
    Strangely the racer types should love the brushed/machined type as much as we all do but actually
    seem to fall for the hype. Just think, if the TDF were an X-Games event, all teens would be tooling
    around the neighborhood wearing lycra astride oclv Treks...... Take care. Keith.

*------------------------------------------------* < > < "The knack lies in learning to throw
    yourself > < -at the ground and miss" >
    < D. Adams. > < > *------------------------------------------------*

"davet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > In BMX chrome rims are considered to increase braking power, but from what I remember from 70's
    > road bikes and what I've been reading here chrome rims give less braking power than aluminium. Is
    > this becuase of the nature of U-brakes? Thanks for any input.

5. David L. Johnson <David L. Johnson <[email protected]> wrote:
    >On Mon, 13 Jan 2003 12:38:03 -0500, davet wrote:
    >>In BMX chrome rims are considered to increase braking power, but from
    >I would not put much faith in what is considered to be braking power in the BMX crowd.

Chaps doing stunts on BMXen don't typically ride in the rain, though.
    --
    David Damerell <[email protected]> flcl?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.