Chronic Big toe tendinitis

Discussion in 'Health Nutrition and Supplements' started by molecubabe69, Jul 16, 2004.

1. molecubabe69

molecubabe69 New Member

:eek: I have had tendinitis in my right big toe now for more than three months since
    it developed when I was biking. I have been off the bike for that time and
    x-rays have revealed that my toe is healthy(i.e. no arthritis or bone deformities). Does anyone have any suggestions for getting rid of this condition?
    Would toe exercises be beneficial.
    Thanks for any advice

Tags:

2. JuneBug

JuneBug New Member

My cousin alfred had that. Terrible pains in his big toe from biking. Though rare , it can be most debilitating tothe one who suffers from it. He thought it was his shoes and switched to a wider shoe, then a longer shoe. he tried several pairs to no avail. Then he tried different pedals. He even tried going SANS footwear for a month, wearing only a pair of open toed Birkenstocks.
    The pain continued.
    Oddly, it seemed to be less painful after longer rides than shorter ones.

Finally, quite by accident, while participating in a sleep disorder study for what seemed to be an unrelated problem, he discovered the resulting CAUSE of his toe pain.
    Yes. He was a midnite toe sucker.
    In the wee hours of the nite, while deep in slumber, Alfred participated in what only could be described as an amazing contortionistic dynamic participation of oral gratification with his big toe. Where others might exhibit such sleep disorders as grinding or clenching the teeth, sleep walking or even sucking on bed linens.....Poor Alfred was somehow stuck in his habit and the resultant pain was due to the grasping effects of his teeth over the middle toe knuckle which also stretched out the ligaments and created this painful torture whenever he rode his bike.
    After behavior modification and a special 'anti-toe sucking' appliance manufactured for him by his orthodontist, he now rides pain free.
    ahhhh..... and he doesnt have teeth marks on his toe anymore.

I hope this helps with your own pursuit of the painful toe mystery. ANy orthodontist can make this anti toe sucking appliance if you find that you may have this disorder as well.