Chronic Fatigue? Over Training Syndrome?

i know i know ;) but as of right now we need to 2 be fresh. I havent been fresh in some months now and i got a HUGE important race coming up in sept. heres where i stand right now.

Tracks « NBL

Name is Mike Caldwell.

CaLDwELLkID said:
i know i know ;) but as of right now we need to 2 be fresh. I havent been fresh in some months now and i got a HUGE important race coming up in sept. heres where i stand right now.

Tracks « NBL

Name is Mike Caldwell.

Being 3rd in the championship is certainly nothing to be sniffed at, props & your from a great State too:rolleyes:. I have a home in Upper-Grandview.:rolleyes:

Take everything your have heard on board, keep training, if your still not fresh after your race in Sept, come back. Stay strong, eat healthily, good sleep etc.

Also, just because your doing weights doesn't mean to say you can't be fresh. The quote below basically states there is a positive correlation to performing a heavy movement prior to a power orientated movement (Getting out of the blocks/starting gates/accelerating etc.)

Postactivation Potentiation
and Athletic Performance

Andy V. Khamoui, MS, CSCS, Edward Jo, MS, CSCS,
and Lee E. Brown, EdD, CSCS,*D, FNSCA

Postactivation Potentiation and Athletic Performance 2
National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA).

Introduction

Postactivation potentiation (PAP) refers to the enhancement of muscle function following a high force activity. For instance,
increased muscle twitch properties have been documented following electrical stimulation. This improvement in muscle
performance makes the high force activity an attractive option as a warm-up prior to competition. Although these enhanced
contractile properties have been consistently observed in the laboratory using single muscle fiber or isolated muscle models
(1 – 3, 6, 7), attempts at augmenting whole-body movements has produced mixed results (4, 5, 8, 11 – 17). Most studies
have typically assessed jump or sprint performance following a back squat because the potentiating exercise exhibits the
greatest transfer to biomechanically and/or physiologically similar events (e.g. jumping and sprinting, which require rapid
force expression from the hip and knee extensors).

PAP and Jump Performance

The majority of current, and prior, PAP research utilized heavy load back squats as the high force activity prior to jumping.
Performance after the back squat intervention improved in several studies but not others (4, 5, 8, 11, 13-15, 17). With
respect to those that demonstrated the benefits of a potentiating back squat, an early study by Young et al. (17), foundan increase in loaded countermovement jump height after a 5RM back squat. Likewise, Chiu et al. (4) demonstrated improvementsin jump power after a back squat intervention of 90% 1RM in athletes but not recreationally trained subjects.
Similarly, Saez Saez de Villareal et al. (13) found greater jump height in professional volleyball players after a cluster of back
squats consisting of 2 sets of 4 reps, 2 sets of 2 reps, and 2 sets of 1 rep at 80-95% 1RM. Gilbert and Lees (5) found increased
jump heights following 5 sets of 1 at 100% 1RM in elite throwers and power lifters while Weber et al. (15) observed
greater peak and average squat jump heights following a 5RM back squat intervention in collegiate track and field athletes.
In contrast to these results, Khamoui et al. (8) did not find significant improvements in vertical jump height, ground reaction
force, impulse, or velocity at take-off after 2, 3, 4, or 5 repetitions of an 85% 1RM back squat in recreationally trained
men. Scott and Docherty (14) also found no significant increase in horizontal or vertical jump performance following a
5RM back squat in subjects with a year of back squat experience. Collectively, these results indicate that a potentiating exercise
can be used to enhance jumping performance but the optimal factors to elicit the best outcomes still need to be identified.

PAP and Sprint Performance

Several studies have also examined sprint performance following a high force back squat intervention. McBride et al. (12)
assessed 40-meter sprint performance in collegiate football players and reported a decrease in completion time subsequent to
1 set of 3 back squat repetitions at 90% 1RM. In similar fashion, Yetter and Moir (16) found increased speed during the 10-
20 and 30-40 meter intervals of a 40-meter sprint after a back squat intervention consisting of 5 repetitions at 30% 1RM, 4
repetitions at 50% 1RM, and 3 repetitions at 70% 1RM in football, track and field, and weightlifting athletes. Though the
quantity of research investigating linear speed and acceleration after a potentiating exercise may not be as vast as jumping, it
appears that a heavy load back squat could potentially augment sprint performance.
Postactivation Potentiation and Athletic Performance 3

PAP and Subject Characteristics

The studies mentioned above seem to implicate an important role of subject training status in the capacity to generate and
benefit from PAP. A quick examination of those investigations which observed improvements in jumping and sprinting,
revealed that subjects had resistance training backgrounds in addition to current competitive experience in weightlifting,
football, track and field, or volleyball. This indirectly points to an influential role of training history on the ability to benefitfrom PAP. More specifically, the physical requirements of weightlifting, football, track and field, and volleyball suggest thatindividuals with a capacity for rapid force generation may be ideal for benefiting from a potentiating exercise. Khamoui et
al. (8) also provided support for this idea as they reported significant decreases in vertical jump ground reaction force and
impulse following an 85% 1RM back squat in recreationally trained men, indicating a fatiguing effect of the potentiating
exercise rather than a potentiating one. It should be noted, however, that Young et al. (17) classified subjects as recreationallytrained and still observed improvements in loaded countermovement jump height after a 5RM back squat. The broad classificationof recreationally trained individuals may have contributed to this discrepancy. In any case, much more support canbe found for the potential benefits of PAP in explosively trained athletes compared to recreationally trained individuals.

PAP and Potentiating Exercise Load

The studies reviewed above also seem to strongly establish the efficacy of heavy back squats as an appropriate stimulus to
induce PAP. A variety of back squat loads ranging from 70% 1RM up to 100% 1RM improved subsequent whole body
performance (4, 5, 8, 12, 13, 15 – 17). The majority of investigations which observed performance enhancements used
loads in the 85 – 90% 1RM region. The most effective load within the heavy range has not been established and the influence
of load assignments within that range on performance outcomes, if any, would be a relevant question to investigate.
Furthermore, back squat loads closely relates to subject training status, as individuals must be able to perform the exercise
such that fatigue will not hinder subsequent whole body performance. In any case, the literature seems to agree upon the use
of a heavy load back squat to generate PAP (>70% 1RM).
PAP and Recovery Duration
Kilduff et al. (9) assessed vertical jump power within 15 seconds, 4, 8, 12, 16, and 20 minutes following a 3RM back squat
in professional rugby players. Peak power increased significantly 8 and 12 minutes post-intervention. Another study by
Kilduff et al. (10) examined vertical jump height within 15 seconds, 4, 8, 12, 16, 20, and 24 minutes after a back squat intervention
of 3 sets of 3 repetitions at 87% 1RM. Post-back squat assessment of jump height revealed a significant improvement
in jump height at 8 minutes but not any other time. In highly trained rugby athletes, 8 – 12 minutes appears optimal,
however, this value may be a function of other variables such as load and volume of the potentiating exercise and subject
training status (i.e. greater recovery periods for greater back squat loads, back squat volume, or less trained individuals).
Postactivation Potentiation and Athletic Performance 4

Conclusion

The equivocal results of previous PAP research suggest that a strategy to best exploit this physiological event requires identification.
The nature of the potentiating exercise may influence performance outcomes and would be a logical area to begin
identifying the optimal parameters of the high force activity. Characteristics of interest include the load and volume of the
potentiating exercise, and recovery duration following the potentiating exercise. Perhaps the foremost issue regarding PAP
research would be to establish a greater degree of confidence with the population who would best be served by a potentiating
exercise (athletes, specific athletic groups, recreationally trained individuals) followed by determination of the optimal
characteristics of the potentiating exercise (load, volume) and recovery durations for that population.

References:

1. Baudry, S, and Duchateau, J. Postactivation potentiation in a human muscle: effect on the load-velocity relation of tetanic and voluntary shortening
contractions. J Appl Physiol 103(4): 1318 – 1325, 2007.
2. Baudry, S, and Duchateau, J. Postactivation potentiation in a human muscle: effect on the rate of torque development of tetanic and voluntary
isometric contractions. J Appl Physiol 102(4): 1394 – 1401, 2007.
3. Baudry, S, Klass, M, and Duchateau, J. Postactivation potentiation influences differently the nonlinear summation of contractions in young and
elderly adults. J. Appl. Physiol. 98(4): 1243 – 1250, 2005.
4. Chiu, LZF, Fry, AC, Weiss, LW, Schilling, BK, Brown, LE, and Smith SL. Post activation potentiation response in athletic and recreationally
trained individuals. J Strength Cond Res 17(4): 671 – 677, 2003.
5. Gilbert, G, and Lees, A. Changes in the force development characteristics of muscle following repeated maximum force and power exercises.
Ergonomics 48(11 – 14): 1576 – 1584, 2005.
6. Gossen, ER, and Sale, DG. Effect of postactivation potentiation on dynamic knee extension performance. Eur J Appl Physiol 83(6): 524 – 530,
7. Hamada, T, Sale, DG, Macdougall, JD, and Tarnopolsky, MA. Postactivation potentiation, fiber type, and twitch contraction time in human
knee extensor muscles. J Appl Physiol 88(6): 2131 – 2144. 2000.
8. Khamoui, AV, Brown, LE, Coburn, JW, Judelson, DA, Uribe, BP, Nguyen, D, Tran, T, Eurich, AD, and Noffal, GJ. Effect of potentiating exercise
volume on vertical jump parameters in recreationally trained men. J Strength Cond Res 23(5): 1465 – 1469, 2009.
9. Kilduff, LP, Bevan, HR, Kingsley, MIC, Owen, NJ, Bennett, MA, Bunce, PJ, Hore, AM, Maw, JR, and Cunningham DJ. Postactivation potentiation
in professional rugby players: optimal recovery. J Strength Cond Res 21(4): 1134 – 1138, 2007.
10. Kilduff, LP, Owen, N, Bevan, H, Bennett, M, Kingsley, MIC, and Cunningham, D. Influence of recovery time on post-activation potentiation
in professional rugby players. J Sports Sci 26(8): 795 – 802, 2008.
11. Mangus, BC, Takahashi, M, Mercer, JA, Holcomb, WL, McWhorter, JW, and Sanchez, R. Investigation of vertical jump performance after
completing heavy squat exercises. J Strength Cond Res 20(3): 597 – 600, 2006.
12. McBride, JM, Nimphius, S, and Erickson, TM. The acute effects of heavy-load squats and loaded countermovement jumps on sprint performance.
J Strength Cond Res 19(4): 893 – 897, 2005.
13. Saez Saez de Villarreal, E, Gonzalez-Badillo, JJ, and Izquierdo, M. Optimal warm-up stimuli of muscle activation to enhance short and longterm
acute jumping performance. Eur J Appl Phys 100(4): 393 – 401, 2007.
Postactivation Potentiation and Athletic Performance 5
14. Scott, SL, and Docherty, D. Acute effects of heavy preloading on vertical and horizontal jump performance. J Strength Cond Res 18(2): 201 –
205, 2004.
15. Weber, KR, Brown, LE, Coburn, JW, and Zinder, SM. Acute effects of heavy-load squats on consecutive squat jump performance. J Strength
Cond Res 22(3): 726 – 730, 2008.
16. Yetter, M, and Moir, GL. The acute effects of heavy back and front squats on speed during forty-meter sprint trials. J Strength Cond Res 22(1):
159 – 165, 2008.
17. Young, WB, Jenner, A, and Griffiths, K. Acute enhancement of power performance from heavy load squats. J Strength Cond Res 12(2): 82 – 84,

cool cool man! interesting too. just got done reading that. But i totally just thought of something. On body building forums those guys treat me a ( newbie ) soo bad and bad mouth so hard. here.. u guys r so helpful and nice. I havent seen a wise comment yet. THANKS !

CaLDwELLkID said:
cool cool man! interesting too. just got done reading that. But i totally just thought of something. On body building forums those guys treat me a ( newbie ) soo bad and bad mouth so hard. here.. u guys r so helpful and nice. I havent seen a wise comment yet. THANKS !

How come your on bodybuilding forums?.

its what came to mind first. i never thought of going on a forum that knows more about my detailed training ( roadbike ) hahaha im silly.

CaLDwELLkID said:
its what came to mind first. i never thought of going on a forum that knows more about my detailed training ( roadbike ) hahaha im silly.

I agree. You need to increase your strength to improve your start & it will have a positive effect on your whole race, but DON'T train like a bodybuilder.

I come from a 100m track background & did fairly well. Its very similar to BMX racing.

Let me tell you, its all about bodyweight/power ratio & relative strength (bodyweight/strength ratio), concentrate on that, not increasing mass or hypertrophy (bodybuilding). Its about how much strength you can generate in the least amount of time & getting the whole thing into motion. The more strength/the less bodyweight = Insane starts.

Increasing strength (weight training) doesn't always correlate with an increase in body mass.

Chapeau! said:
I agree. You need to increase your strength to improve your start & it will have a positive effect on your whole race, but DON'T train like a bodybuilder.

I come from a 100m track background & did fairly well. Its very similar to BMX racing.

Let me tell you, its all about bodyweight/power ratio & relative strength (bodyweight/strength ratio), concentrate on that, not increasing mass or hypertrophy (bodybuilding). Its about how much strength you can generate in the least amount of time & getting the whole thing into motion. The more strength/the less bodyweight = Insane starts.

Increasing strength (weight training) doesn't always correlate with an increase in body mass.

Dang, u know alot about wut i do. Usually someone is like oh bmx? Can u do a backflip? wut tricks can u do? lol But yes. I know. I wish i can be down to 180 all muscle. I do not know wut step by step daily diet to take though. I research on the body building forums but then i think...these guys arent cyclist. As of right now i have a strong core but its not quite shredded. 195lbs and 14% bf, 5 feet 11 inchs.

CaLDwELLkID said:
Dang, u know alot about wut i do. Usually someone is like oh bmx? Can u do a backflip? wut tricks can u do? lol But yes. I know. I wish i can be down to 180 all muscle. I do not know wut step by step daily diet to take though. I research on the body building forums but then i think...these guys arent cyclist. As of right now i have a strong core but its not quite shredded. 195lbs and 14% bf, 5 feet 11 inchs.

You want to get shredded?, back off the calories, eat healthily, increase your work output (training). Keep it basic.

The core exercises I rate highly are: Planks (front & back), side planks, L-Sits, Standing Russian Twists, Numerous Push Up Variations, dumbell side bends, hip thrusts etc. For the core I like isometric exercises best (planks, supermans etc), & not dynamic movements such as (sit-ups, crunches etc). I totally believe the core should be trained primarily in a isometric fashion.

I reckon your a little on the big side (195lbs @ 14% bf, 5 feet 11 inchs).

Ya im naturally built...and i eat like a monster. anything. I just dont know how to diet and slow down my metabolism. When i train i guess i need a certain amount of calories etc.

Do u know CTS ? Charmicheal Training Systems

CaLDwELLkID said:
Should i really look into the stim-o-stam? it sounds useful.

I know that Stim-O-Stam worked for me with my cramping and recovery was faster. It's the original phosphate fuel before others came around and copied it. It's cheaper then the other bike boutique products and is less irritating on the stomach...at least my stomach, Cytomax and some other brand I can't remember upsetted my stomach. It wouldn't hurt to try it; for more info and to order if you want to try it, see: Stim-O-Stam for Muscular Energy & Endurance

CaLDwELLkID said:
Ya im naturally built...and i eat like a monster. anything. I just dont know how to diet and slow down my metabolism. When i train i guess i need a certain amount of calories etc.

Do u know CTS ? Charmicheal Training Systems

Not greatly.

I have the Lance Armstrong Performance Program book although its been gathering dust for sometime now. I take out bits & pieces, but I don't follow it too the letter, I like doing my own thing.

He has another book out (Chris Carmichael) called Food for Fitness, something you might be interested in.

Food for Fitness

Chapeau! said:
Not greatly.

I have the Lance Armstrong Performance Program book although its been gathering dust for sometime now. I take out bits & pieces, but I don't follow it too the letter, I like doing my own thing.

He has another book out (Chris Carmichael) called Food for Fitness, something you might be interested in.

Food for Fitness

Thanks for the hint I will have a look.

CTS is training me. I have a trainer from there.

Ok heres an update. Ive been drinking gatorade and water since 1 o clock yesterday. 1 and 3/4 of water down and 11 20oz gatorades down. 7 multi vitamins and 2 B complex time released.

The legs arent cramping ( as bad ) but i still kinda can feel it when i get up off the chair ( when i can feel it most ) . They def do still feel heavey and a little weak. I want to test them out on the bike but i dont dare. I dont wanna ruin anything for this wknd. Ill keep it up and touch the bike on Friday. Race saturday and sunday. Ill update another tomorrow before i leave for michigan bound :)

I'ts going to take a while for your body to recup, so just keep doing what your doing, and within a week there should be a marked change from yesterday.

just road practice today. first three sprints its like wow im dead. still got mega pull and torque. but im going to need adrenaline to get around the hole track.

CaLDwELLkID said:
just road practice today. first three sprints its like wow im dead. still got mega pull and torque. but im going to need adrenaline to get around the hole track.

Between races, listen to loud music on an iPod or MP3 player to get your adrenaline up, works for me.

How old are you Mike?.
And, What distance is the whole track?.

I just wonder if the cytomax & all the sugars you could be consuming are having a bad affect on your system. It could be possible there placing a burden on your immune system.

Regardless of what promises supplements make, some can have the complete opposite effect. BELIEVE ME. Lets just say, I've been round the block.

Chapeau! said:
Between races, listen to loud music on an iPod or MP3 player to get your adrenaline up, works for me.

How old are you Mike?.
And, What distance is the whole track?.

I just wonder if the cytomax & all the sugars you could be consuming are having a bad affect on your system. It could be possible there placing a burden on your immune system.

Regardless of what promises supplements make, some can have the complete opposite effect. BELIEVE ME. Lets just say, I've been round the block.

Yeah i used to do that with the iPod. I get nervous when i get a bad lane pick b/c ill have to holeshot the first straight away to get into the turn 1st.
I won today. Was def hard in the motos. I got 1st 1st 1st and in the main i got a huge adrenaline rush and desotroyed. So undefeated today. But thats wut is supossed to happen. These kids dont beat me but they were hanging with me...2 hrs of sleep will do it eh? I just ate some chicken alfredo and gonna get some rest. I need to be undefeated for the wknd to max out in points ( the link i posted before ).
Im 23 years old. The track is about 1,100 feet. If i dont have a adrenline im very sloppy and my legs burn like crazy.

Im going to the doctor when i get home. I need to find out if theres anything else goin on. IM starting to get worried. I feel like im not goin anywhere and in 3 weeks is the championship and i want to win the national # 1. I know i can do it if im fresh!
Id have to say during my peak training i did take ALOT of BCAA's and Glutamine. About 20 Grams a day. Thats 20 pills. I wanted my gains to be huge!
But, other wise i think the cytomax doesnt hurt. I only put in 2 scoops in a 20oz gatorade bottle and mix it with water.
Well, these legs r killin me. Im off to sleep. Another big day tomorrow.

Hey all, im home now from an undefeated weekend. its great ;) im sitting 1st in points now! I have till sept 4th to TRY to get fresh.
Trainer says hes going to do little stuff to Maintain my fitness level etc. etc.
But i dont even want to. After i ride for a bit the cramping and stuff goes away. Is that b/c im takeing myself out of rest mode? I mean dont get me wrong i do think my fitness lvl is going down but i want these heavy legs to go away lol

CaLDwELLkID said:
Hey all, im home now from an undefeated weekend. its great ;) im sitting 1st in points now! I have till sept 4th to TRY to get fresh.
Trainer says hes going to do little stuff to Maintain my fitness level etc. etc.
But i dont even want to. After i ride for a bit the cramping and stuff goes away. Is that b/c im takeing myself out of rest mode? I mean dont get me wrong i do think my fitness lvl is going down but i want these heavy legs to go away lol

Mike, do you do any road cycling to supplement the BMX'ing?.

If not, Why not?.