Chronicles of my first commute - 2003

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Jason Pecor, Apr 1, 2003.

  1. Jason Pecor

    Jason Pecor Guest

    ==================
    Monday, March 31st
    ==================
    Went out to Scheel's All sport and dropped $100 on gear. New pants, a warm windproof pullover,
    and one of those flourescent orange mesh vests with the reflective strips. (Used that for the
    backside of the seat on my 'bent - I want to be seen...) Just about killed me to spend the money.
    I am cheap...

    At home, I pulled the ol' Vision down from its winter roost in my garage and brought it into the
    basement for a little tune-up before the first ride. It was after 9:00, and the kids were in bed, so
    I didn't want to fire up the compressor for pumping up my tires. Instead I opted for the
    $9.00-piece-of-crap-tire-pump method. (Of course, with this method, one must be wary of the pump
    handle. You see, when pumping a tire up to ~100psi, that pressure is present inside the pump, too,
    and if not careful, one could easily lose his teeth by getting smashed in the mouth by a
    upward-rocketing wooden pump handle.) A few more checks here and there, wheels tight...looks good.

    Spent about another hour getting together all of the stuff I thought I would need. Commuting
    pannier, clothes, towel, toiletries, ...I swear I had a coffee mug holder for my 'bent last year...,
    gloves, hat, wallet, keys, checkbook, biking shoes.

    ==================
    Tuesday, April 1st
    ==================
    Woke up around 6:45am to the sunny whine/cry of a teething 10-month old boy. By 7:30'ish, I was
    ready to head out. It was 38 degrees. Within the first block or so, I recognized that my chain
    seemed to be rubbing on something. Oh well, I thought, probably out of adjustment a little bit. I
    will have it tuned up at the bike shop soon, anyway. I couldn't see where it was rubbing on the
    derailer, so I kept motoring.

    As usual, I got stopped at the stoplight on Eddy Lane and Hwy 53 - the busiest intersection I face
    on my commute. As I approached the light, I tried to switch down to my lowest gear so I could get a
    decent start when the light turned green. Hmmm....won't go onto the smallest chain ring, well I will
    just leave it in the center. Waiting....waiting... Yellow light - clip in the right foot...

    green light power stroke chain jumps (oh yeah baby - right off the front chainring) cadence
    increases to 200rpm big truck behind me (I take up the whole lane...) must...put...feet...down....
    ahhhh! I'm clipped in...

    Well, I got my feet out before crashing and ran my bike across the intersection. After a short
    pitstop, I managed to fix my chain problem, including the undesirable rubbing.

    The rest of the ride was dandy. My cheeks got a little cold, but that was about it.

    I am looking forward to the ride home.

    Jason

    Tags:

  2. Jim H

    Jim H Guest

    > must...put...feet...down.... ahhhh! I'm clipped in...

    Yeah I hate it when that happens. For urban commuting I suggest you consider Power Grips instead of
    the clipless pedals. PGs are the sure thing - for when you absolutely, postively must get your feet
    down, like right now. Which happens a lot in the city.

    > > must...put...feet...down.... ahhhh! I'm clipped in...
    >
    > Yeah I hate it when that happens. For urban commuting I suggest you consider Power Grips instead
    > of the clipless pedals. PGs are the sure thing - for when you absolutely, postively must get your
    > feet down, like right now. Which happens a lot in the city.

    I actually prefer clipless pedals for my city commute. Forgetting to unclip rarely happens more than
    once. or twice except for the terminally stupid.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  4. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    "Cletus D. Lee" wrote:
    > ... I actually prefer clipless pedals for my city commute. Forgetting to unclip rarely happens
    > more than once. or twice except for the terminally stupid.

    Or those who ride both bicycles and trikes - on the trike I have to remember NOT to unclip when
    coming to a stop.

  5. "Jason Pecor" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > ==================
    > Monday, March 31st
    > ==================
    > Went out to Scheel's All sport and dropped $100 on gear. New pants, a

    Hey, what's the address? I might get a good price..

    Nice story - last night I went for a ride with my daughter - her on her new homebuilt SWB, and me on
    my Evita II. It was the first time I didn't run beside her. She fell off a few times, but kept the
    spirit high. It felt great for both of us.

    Regards, Torben

  6. Keep up the good work!

    14 years of cycle commuting and counting.

> [...]
    > on my commute. As I approached the light, I tried to switch down to my lowest gear so I could get
    > a decent start when the light turned green. Hmmm....won't go onto the smallest chain ring, well I
    > will just leave it in the center. Waiting....waiting... Yellow light - clip in the right foot...
    >

    > green light power stroke chain jumps (oh yeah baby - right off the front chainring) cadence
    > increases to 200rpm big truck behind me (I take up the whole lane...) must...put...feet...down....
    > ahhhh! I'm clipped in...
    >

    > Well, I got my feet out before crashing and ran my bike across the intersection. After a short
    > pitstop, I managed to fix my chain problem, including the undesirable rubbing.
    >
    > The rest of the ride was dandy. My cheeks got a little cold, but that was about it.

  7. Geob

    Geob Guest

    > Went out to Scheel's All sport and dropped $100 on gear. New pants, a warm windproof pullover, and
    > one of those flourescent orange mesh vests with the reflective strips. (Used that for the backside
    > of the seat on my 'bent - I want to be seen...) Just about killed me to spend the money. I am
    > cheap...

    With all due respect you don't know 'cheap'. :) I bought my $40 lycra tights for $15 last summer on
    sale at Sports Authority. I bought my NOS $150 Giro helmet for $10 at the thrift store. I bought the
    really flashy day-glo Filas wind breaker at the thrift store.. $5!! I bought athletic special
    wicking fabric polo shirt from WallyWorld for $8. And the long sleeved lycra bright red shirt. I was
    given the super-deluxe-go-faster bicycling socks for helping at the bike event. I use my old sweats
    over my tights when it gets cold. I already had my 'keep yer ears warm' band thingee, from
    Christmas-past. I use my hardware store cloth gloves in the winter. Christmas, and my suggestable
    mother, took care of the nice clipless shoes and pedals (thanks Mom!)

    To be seen I put three red flashing LED lights on the back, two reflectors, and some reflective
    strips, and an Amerikan flag-on-a-stick. In front I have one array of Trek green LED's, plus my
    Cateye EL-300. The lights I did pay for, since you can't compromise on safety, or wait for the
    'good deal'.

  8. Baronn1

    Baronn1 Guest

    See: Darwin, Origin of the Species, Natural Selection

    "Cletus D. Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > must...put...feet...down.... ahhhh! I'm clipped in...
    > >
    > > Yeah I hate it when that happens. For urban commuting I suggest you consider Power Grips instead
    > > of the clipless pedals. PGs are the sure thing - for when you absolutely, postively must get
    > > your feet down, like right now. Which happens a lot in the city.
    >
    > I actually prefer clipless pedals for my city commute. Forgetting to unclip rarely happens more
    > than once. or twice except for the terminally stupid.

    > - Bellaire, TX USA -

  9. Jerry Rhodes

    Jerry Rhodes Guest

    [email protected] (GeoB) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > With all due respect you don't know 'cheap'. :)

    Go Geo!!!!

    I have been buying my riding outfits from Ricardo's Mundo de Gangas for several years.

    My favorite wind breaker cost me $1.50 and says "Barbara's Bail Bonds" on the front.

    Jerry

  10. A&B

    A&B Guest

    Jerry, Where is the store? Does it really exist? bill g

    Jerry Rhodes wrote:

    > I have been buying my riding outfits from Ricardo's Mundo de Gangas for several years.
    >
    > My favorite wind breaker cost me $1.50 and says "Barbara's Bail Bonds" on the front.
    >
    > Jerry

  11. Skip

    Skip Guest

    Will Ricardo do mail order?