Chronicles of my first commute - 2003

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Jason Pecor, Apr 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason Pecor

Jason Pecor Guest

==================
    Monday, March 31st
    ==================
    Went out to Scheel's All sport and dropped $100 on gear. New pants, a warm windproof pullover,
    and one of those flourescent orange mesh vests with the reflective strips. (Used that for the
    backside of the seat on my 'bent - I want to be seen...) Just about killed me to spend the money.
    I am cheap...

At home, I pulled the ol' Vision down from its winter roost in my garage and brought it into the
    basement for a little tune-up before the first ride. It was after 9:00, and the kids were in bed, so
    I didn't want to fire up the compressor for pumping up my tires. Instead I opted for the
    $9.00-piece-of-crap-tire-pump method. (Of course, with this method, one must be wary of the pump
    handle. You see, when pumping a tire up to ~100psi, that pressure is present inside the pump, too,
    and if not careful, one could easily lose his teeth by getting smashed in the mouth by a
    upward-rocketing wooden pump handle.) A few more checks here and there, wheels tight...looks good.

Spent about another hour getting together all of the stuff I thought I would need. Commuting
    pannier, clothes, towel, toiletries, ...I swear I had a coffee mug holder for my 'bent last year...,
    gloves, hat, wallet, keys, checkbook, biking shoes.

==================
    Tuesday, April 1st
    ==================
    Woke up around 6:45am to the sunny whine/cry of a teething 10-month old boy. By 7:30'ish, I was
    ready to head out. It was 38 degrees. Within the first block or so, I recognized that my chain
    seemed to be rubbing on something. Oh well, I thought, probably out of adjustment a little bit. I
    will have it tuned up at the bike shop soon, anyway. I couldn't see where it was rubbing on the
    derailer, so I kept motoring.

As usual, I got stopped at the stoplight on Eddy Lane and Hwy 53 - the busiest intersection I face
    on my commute. As I approached the light, I tried to switch down to my lowest gear so I could get a
    decent start when the light turned green. Hmmm....won't go onto the smallest chain ring, well I will
    just leave it in the center. Waiting....waiting... Yellow light - clip in the right foot...

green light power stroke chain jumps (oh yeah baby - right off the front chainring) cadence
    increases to 200rpm big truck behind me (I take up the whole lane...) must...put...feet...down....
    ahhhh! I'm clipped in...

Well, I got my feet out before crashing and ran my bike across the intersection. After a short
    pitstop, I managed to fix my chain problem, including the undesirable rubbing.

The rest of the ride was dandy. My cheeks got a little cold, but that was about it.

I am looking forward to the ride home.

Jason

Tags:

2. Jim H

Jim H Guest

> must...put...feet...down.... ahhhh! I'm clipped in...

Yeah I hate it when that happens. For urban commuting I suggest you consider Power Grips instead of
    the clipless pedals. PGs are the sure thing - for when you absolutely, postively must get your feet
    down, like right now. Which happens a lot in the city.

3. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > > must...put...feet...down.... ahhhh! I'm clipped in...
    >
    > Yeah I hate it when that happens. For urban commuting I suggest you consider Power Grips instead
    > of the clipless pedals. PGs are the sure thing - for when you absolutely, postively must get your
    > feet down, like right now. Which happens a lot in the city.

I actually prefer clipless pedals for my city commute. Forgetting to unclip rarely happens more than
    once. or twice except for the terminally stupid.

--
    Cletus D. Lee Bacchetta Giro Lightning Voyager http://www.clee.org
    - Bellaire, TX USA -

4. Tom Sherman

Tom Sherman Guest

"Cletus D. Lee" wrote:
    > ... I actually prefer clipless pedals for my city commute. Forgetting to unclip rarely happens
    > more than once. or twice except for the terminally stupid.

Or those who ride both bicycles and trikes - on the trike I have to remember NOT to unclip when
    coming to a stop.

Tom Sherman - Various HPV's Quad Cities USA (Illinois side)

5. "Jason Pecor" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > ==================
    > Monday, March 31st
    > ==================
    > Went out to Scheel's All sport and dropped $100 on gear. New pants, a

Hey, what's the address? I might get a good price..

Nice story - last night I went for a ride with my daughter - her on her new homebuilt SWB, and me on
    my Evita II. It was the first time I didn't run beside her. She fell off a few times, but kept the
    spirit high. It felt great for both of us.

Regards, Torben

6. Keep up the good work!

14 years of cycle commuting and counting.

"Jason Pecor" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > ==================
    > Monday, March 31st
    > ==================
    > Went out to Scheel's All sport and dropped $100 on gear. New pants, a warm windproof pullover, and
    > one of those flourescent orange mesh vests with the reflective strips. (Used that for the backside
    > of the seat on my 'bent - I want to be seen...) Just about killed me to spend the money. I am
    > cheap...
    >
    > At home, I pulled the ol' Vision down from its winter roost in my garage and brought it into the
    > basement for a little tune-up before the first ride. It was after 9:00, and the kids were in bed,
    > so I didn't want to fire up the compressor for pumping up my tires. Instead I opted for the
    > $9.00-piece-of-crap-tire-pump method. (Of course, with this method, one must be wary of the pump
    > handle. You see, when pumping a tire up to ~100psi, that pressure is present inside the pump, too,
    > and if not careful, one could easily lose his teeth by getting smashed in the mouth by a
    > upward-rocketing wooden pump handle.) A few more checks here and there, wheels tight...looks good.
    >
    > Spent about another hour getting together all of the stuff I thought I would need. Commuting
    > pannier, clothes, towel, toiletries, ...I swear I had a coffee mug holder for my 'bent last
    > year..., gloves, hat, wallet, keys, checkbook, biking shoes.
    >
    >
    > ==================
    > Tuesday, April 1st
    > ==================
    > Woke up around 6:45am to the sunny whine/cry of a teething 10-month old boy. By 7:30'ish, I was
    > ready to head out. It was 38 degrees. Within the first block or so, I recognized that my chain
    > seemed to be rubbing on something. Oh well, I thought, probably out of adjustment a little bit. I
    > will have it tuned up at the bike shop soon, anyway. I couldn't see where it was rubbing on the
    > derailer, so I kept motoring.
    >
    > As usual, I got stopped at the stoplight on Eddy Lane and Hwy 53 - the busiest intersection I face
    > on my commute. As I approached the light, I tried to switch down to my lowest gear so I could get
    > a decent start when the light turned green. Hmmm....won't go onto the smallest chain ring, well I
    > will just leave it in the center. Waiting....waiting... Yellow light - clip in the right foot...
    >
    >
    > green light power stroke chain jumps (oh yeah baby - right off the front chainring) cadence
    > increases to 200rpm big truck behind me (I take up the whole lane...) must...put...feet...down....
    > ahhhh! I'm clipped in...
    >
    >
    > Well, I got my feet out before crashing and ran my bike across the intersection. After a short
    > pitstop, I managed to fix my chain problem, including the undesirable rubbing.
    >
    > The rest of the ride was dandy. My cheeks got a little cold, but that was about it.
    >
    > I am looking forward to the ride home.
    >
    > Jason

7. Geob

Geob Guest

> Went out to Scheel's All sport and dropped $100 on gear. New pants, a warm windproof pullover, and
    > one of those flourescent orange mesh vests with the reflective strips. (Used that for the backside
    > of the seat on my 'bent - I want to be seen...) Just about killed me to spend the money. I am
    > cheap...

With all due respect you don't know 'cheap'. :) I bought my $40 lycra tights for $15 last summer on
    sale at Sports Authority. I bought my NOS $150 Giro helmet for $10 at the thrift store. I bought the
    really flashy day-glo Filas wind breaker at the thrift store.. $5!! I bought athletic special
    wicking fabric polo shirt from WallyWorld for $8. And the long sleeved lycra bright red shirt. I was
    given the super-deluxe-go-faster bicycling socks for helping at the bike event. I use my old sweats
    over my tights when it gets cold. I already had my 'keep yer ears warm' band thingee, from
    Christmas-past. I use my hardware store cloth gloves in the winter. Christmas, and my suggestable
    mother, took care of the nice clipless shoes and pedals (thanks Mom!)

To be seen I put three red flashing LED lights on the back, two reflectors, and some reflective
    strips, and an Amerikan flag-on-a-stick. In front I have one array of Trek green LED's, plus my
    Cateye EL-300. The lights I did pay for, since you can't compromise on safety, or wait for the
    'good deal'.

8. Baronn1

Baronn1 Guest

See: Darwin, Origin of the Species, Natural Selection

"Cletus D. Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > > > must...put...feet...down.... ahhhh! I'm clipped in...
    > >
    > > Yeah I hate it when that happens. For urban commuting I suggest you consider Power Grips instead
    > > of the clipless pedals. PGs are the sure thing - for when you absolutely, postively must get
    > > your feet down, like right now. Which happens a lot in the city.
    >
    > I actually prefer clipless pedals for my city commute. Forgetting to unclip rarely happens more
    > than once. or twice except for the terminally stupid.
    >
    > --
    > Cletus D. Lee Bacchetta Giro Lightning Voyager http://www.clee.org
    > - Bellaire, TX USA -

9. Jerry Rhodes

Jerry Rhodes Guest

[email protected] (GeoB) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> With all due respect you don't know 'cheap'. :)

Go Geo!!!!

I have been buying my riding outfits from Ricardo's Mundo de Gangas for several years.

My favorite wind breaker cost me $1.50 and says "Barbara's Bail Bonds" on the front.

Jerry

10. A&B

A&B Guest

Jerry, Where is the store? Does it really exist? bill g

Jerry Rhodes wrote:

>
    > I have been buying my riding outfits from Ricardo's Mundo de Gangas for several years.
    >
    > My favorite wind breaker cost me $1.50 and says "Barbara's Bail Bonds" on the front.
    >
    > Jerry

11. Skip

Skip Guest

Will Ricardo do mail order?

"Jerry Rhodes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

> I have been buying my riding outfits from Ricardo's Mundo de Gangas for several years.
    >
    > My favorite wind breaker cost me $1.50 and says "Barbara's Bail Bonds" on the front.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.