Chronicles of my first commute - 2003

Jason Pecor

Guest
==================
Monday, March 31st
==================
Went out to Scheel's All sport and dropped $100 on gear. New pants, a warm windproof pullover,
and one of those flourescent orange mesh vests with the reflective strips. (Used that for the
backside of the seat on my 'bent - I want to be seen...) Just about killed me to spend the money.
I am cheap...

At home, I pulled the ol' Vision down from its winter roost in my garage and brought it into the
basement for a little tune-up before the first ride. It was after 9:00, and the kids were in bed, so
I didn't want to fire up the compressor for pumping up my tires. Instead I opted for the
$9.00-piece-of-****-tire-pump method. (Of course, with this method, one must be wary of the pump
handle. You see, when pumping a tire up to ~100psi, that pressure is present inside the pump, too,
and if not careful, one could easily lose his teeth by getting smashed in the mouth by a
upward-rocketing wooden pump handle.) A few more checks here and there, wheels tight...looks good.

Spent about another hour getting together all of the stuff I thought I would need. Commuting
pannier, clothes, towel, toiletries, ...I swear I had a coffee mug holder for my 'bent last year...,
gloves, hat, wallet, keys, checkbook, biking shoes.

==================
Tuesday, April 1st
==================
Woke up around 6:45am to the sunny whine/cry of a teething 10-month old boy. By 7:30'ish, I was
ready to head out. It was 38 degrees. Within the first block or so, I recognized that my chain
seemed to be rubbing on something. Oh well, I thought, probably out of adjustment a little bit. I
will have it tuned up at the bike shop soon, anyway. I couldn't see where it was rubbing on the
derailer, so I kept motoring.

As usual, I got stopped at the stoplight on Eddy Lane and Hwy 53 - the busiest intersection I face
on my commute. As I approached the light, I tried to switch down to my lowest gear so I could get a
decent start when the light turned green. Hmmm....won't go onto the smallest chain ring, well I will
just leave it in the center. Waiting....waiting... Yellow light - clip in the right foot...

green light power stroke chain jumps (oh yeah baby - right off the front chainring) cadence
increases to 200rpm big truck behind me (I take up the whole lane...) must...put...feet...down....
ahhhh! I'm clipped in...

Well, I got my feet out before crashing and ran my bike across the intersection. After a short
pitstop, I managed to fix my chain problem, including the undesirable rubbing.

The rest of the ride was dandy. My cheeks got a little cold, but that was about it.

I am looking forward to the ride home.

Jason

> must...put...feet...down.... ahhhh! I'm clipped in...

Yeah I hate it when that happens. For urban commuting I suggest you consider Power Grips instead of
the clipless pedals. PGs are the sure thing - for when you absolutely, postively must get your feet
down, like right now. Which happens a lot in the city.

> > must...put...feet...down.... ahhhh! I'm clipped in...
>
> Yeah I hate it when that happens. For urban commuting I suggest you consider Power Grips instead
> of the clipless pedals. PGs are the sure thing - for when you absolutely, postively must get your
> feet down, like right now. Which happens a lot in the city.

I actually prefer clipless pedals for my city commute. Forgetting to unclip rarely happens more than
once. or twice except for the terminally stupid.

- Bellaire, TX USA -

"Cletus D. Lee" wrote:
> ... I actually prefer clipless pedals for my city commute. Forgetting to unclip rarely happens
> more than once. or twice except for the terminally stupid.

Or those who ride both bicycles and trikes - on the trike I have to remember NOT to unclip when
coming to a stop.

"Jason Pecor" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> ==================
> Monday, March 31st
> ==================
> Went out to Scheel's All sport and dropped $100 on gear. New pants, a

Hey, what's the address? I might get a good price..

Nice story - last night I went for a ride with my daughter - her on her new homebuilt SWB, and me on
my Evita II. It was the first time I didn't run beside her. She fell off a few times, but kept the
spirit high. It felt great for both of us.

Regards, Torben

Keep up the good work!

14 years of cycle commuting and counting.

> [...]
>

> green light power stroke chain jumps (oh yeah baby - right off the front chainring) cadence
> increases to 200rpm big truck behind me (I take up the whole lane...) must...put...feet...down....
> ahhhh! I'm clipped in...
>

> Well, I got my feet out before crashing and ran my bike across the intersection. After a short
> pitstop, I managed to fix my chain problem, including the undesirable rubbing.
>
> The rest of the ride was dandy. My cheeks got a little cold, but that was about it.
>
> I am looking forward to the ride home.
>
> Jason

> Went out to Scheel's All sport and dropped $100 on gear. New pants, a warm windproof pullover, and
> one of those flourescent orange mesh vests with the reflective strips. (Used that for the backside
> of the seat on my 'bent - I want to be seen...) Just about killed me to spend the money. I am

With all due respect you don't know 'cheap'. :) I bought my $40 lycra tights for $15 last summer on
sale at Sports Authority. I bought my NOS $150 Giro helmet for $10 at the thrift store. I bought the
really flashy day-glo Filas wind breaker at the thrift store.. $5!! I bought athletic special
wicking fabric polo shirt from WallyWorld for $8. And the long sleeved lycra bright red shirt. I was
given the super-deluxe-go-faster bicycling socks for helping at the bike event. I use my old sweats
over my tights when it gets cold. I already had my 'keep yer ears warm' band thingee, from
Christmas-past. I use my hardware store cloth gloves in the winter. Christmas, and my suggestable
mother, took care of the nice clipless shoes and pedals (thanks Mom!)

To be seen I put three red flashing LED lights on the back, two reflectors, and some reflective
strips, and an Amerikan flag-on-a-stick. In front I have one array of Trek green LED's, plus my
Cateye EL-300. The lights I did pay for, since you can't compromise on safety, or wait for the
'good deal'.

See: Darwin, Origin of the Species, Natural Selection

[email protected] (GeoB) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> With all due respect you don't know 'cheap'. :)

Go Geo!!!!

I have been buying my riding outfits from Ricardo's Mundo de Gangas for several years.

My favorite wind breaker cost me $1.50 and says "Barbara's Bail Bonds" on the front.

Jerry

Jerry, Where is the store? Does it really exist? bill g

Jerry Rhodes wrote:

> I have been buying my riding outfits from Ricardo's Mundo de Gangas for several years.
>
> My favorite wind breaker cost me $1.50 and says "Barbara's Bail Bonds" on the front.
>
> Jerry

Will Ricardo do mail order?

news:[email protected]...