Chubby newb needs advice

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by bigroy, Jun 25, 2003.

  1. bigroy

    bigroy New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2003
    Greets all,

    I recently decided to get into mountain biking to get into shape. Basketball is murder on the old joints. I caught a great deal on a Marin Quake 9.0 exc from 2001 and am currently researching trails in the MD. area. I was wondering what kind of training should I be doing to get into better shape. Is riding roads good to build endurance for off road riding? Any advice would be much appreciated. Being a newb is the suck.

    bigroy

    Tags:

  2. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    bigroy wrote:
    > Greets all,
    >
    > I recently decided to get into mountain biking to get into shape. Basketball is murder on the old
    > joints. I caught a great deal on a Marin Quake 9.0 exc from 2001 and am currently researching
    > trails in the MD. area. I was wondering what kind of training should I be doing to get into better
    > shape. Is riding roads good to build endurance for off road riding? Any advice would be much
    > appreciated. Being a newb is the suck.

    Firstly, congrats on sorting yourself out.

    Secondly, the best practice for mountain biking is mountain biking.

    For the MD area, try http://more-mtb.org/

  3. Roberto

    Roberto Guest

    On 25 Jun 2003 23:30:02 +0950, bigroy <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Greets all,
    >
    > I recently decided to get into mountain biking to get into shape. Basketball is murder on the old
    > joints. I caught a great deal on a Marin Quake 9.0 exc from 2001 and am currently researching
    > trails in the MD. area. I was wondering what kind of training should I be doing to get into better
    > shape. Is riding roads good to build endurance for off road riding? Any advice would be much
    > appreciated. Being a newb is the suck.
    >
    > bigroy

    Yes, I ride the roads all the time (I have -- gasp! -- a racing bike, too). The best training is,
    however, off roading, as off roading requires quite a few skills that you can't learn riding on the
    road. For instance, on my racing bike, I click into my clipless pedals at the start of my ride and
    clip out when I end my ride. On my mountain bike, I'm constantly clipping in and out. Similarly,
    when you attack a hill on a mountain bike, you want to be at least in the correct front chainring,
    and preferably in the correct gear (front chainring and rear cog). It can be hard to shift under
    power. For riding on the road, this is less of a problem. On a mountain bike, when going down a
    steep hill, you want to get your butt behind the seat; on my racing bike, I don't think that I could
    get my butt behind the seat if I wanted to -- the seat's too wide. So, for skill, the best training
    is off road. However, as a beginner, your problem will probably be aerobic and not technique,
    although technique always helps). In that regard, riding on the road is beneficial, particularly if
    you can find a route with hills. Also, for me, it's much easier just to leave my house and ride my
    bike. For off roading, the only rides I know of have to be driven there by car.

    --
    Bob M in CT

  4. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    bigroy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I recently decided to get into mountain biking to get into shape. Basketball is murder on the old
    > joints. I caught a great deal on a Marin Quake 9.0 exc from 2001 and am currently researching
    > trails in the MD. area. I was wondering what kind of training should I be doing to get into better
    > shape. Is riding roads good to build endurance for off road riding? Any advice would be much
    > appreciated. Being a newb is the suck.

    Can't say it enough times...ride, ride, ride, ride...and then ride some more...

    - CA-G

    Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

  5. Alexn

    Alexn Guest

    "bigroy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Greets all,
    >
    > I recently decided to get into mountain biking to get into shape. Basketball is murder on the old
    > joints. I caught a great deal on a Marin Quake 9.0 exc from 2001 and am currently researching
    > trails in the MD. area. I was wondering what kind of training should I be doing to get into better
    > shape. Is riding roads good to build endurance for off road riding? Any advice would be much
    > appreciated. Being a newb is the suck.
    >
    > bigroy

    Screw the road, it's finally stopped raining so hit the (dry) trails. There's plenty of trails in
    the area, depending on where you live and how are you feel like driving. Most places are listed
    here... http://www.mtbreview.com/trails/Maryland_name.html

    Alex

  6. J'M Sm'Th

    J'M Sm'Th Guest

    bigroy wrote:

    > Greets all,
    >
    > I recently decided to get into mountain biking to get into shape. Basketball is murder on the old
    > joints. I caught a great deal on a Marin Quake 9.0 exc from 2001 and am currently researching
    > trails in the MD. area. I was wondering what kind of training should I be doing to get into better
    > shape. Is riding roads good to build endurance for off road riding? Any advice would be much
    > appreciated. Being a newb is the suck.
    >
    > bigroy

    Just ride, ride, ride. Doesn't matter if on road or off, just ride often.

    --
    J'm

    To Reply Direct, Remove Clothes. ...-.-

  7. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "bigroy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Greets all,
    >
    > I recently decided to get into mountain biking to get into shape. Basketball is murder on the old
    > joints. I caught a great deal on a Marin Quake 9.0 exc from 2001 and am currently researching
    > trails in the MD. area. I was wondering what kind of training should I be doing to get into better
    > shape. Is riding roads good to build endurance for off road riding? Any advice would be much
    > appreciated. Being a newb is the suck.
    >
    > bigroy

    Awesome, bigroy. If you want, I can take you out in a week or two (for riding, not dinner and a
    movie) to a real fun, not-too-technical place in the Laurel area. Go check out Patapsco too - I can
    give you decent directions - but it can be a killer, and a little less than fun if your skills are
    lacking or you are out of shape.

    If you are in the Annapolis area, Quiet Waters Park really got me in shape last year. I would ride
    the paved paths and roads until that got boring, then blast all the trails (until the best ones were
    inexplicably closed to anything but foot traffic), then do the roads again until I couldn't ride
    anymore. I did over a thousand miles there between last July and October.

    Welcome to biking. Marin bikes rule.

    Chris

  8. The Ogre

    The Ogre Guest

    bigroy <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Greets all,
    >
    > I recently decided to get into mountain biking to get into shape. Basketball is murder on the old
    > joints. I caught a great deal on a Marin Quake 9.0 exc from 2001 and am currently researching
    > trails in the MD. area. I was wondering what kind of training should I be doing to get into better
    > shape. Is riding roads good to build endurance for off road riding? Any advice would be much
    > appreciated. Being a newb is the suck.
    >
    > bigroy

    Start riding your bike to work. After about 6 months of commuting 6-10 miles to work you won't be
    chubby any more.

    -- The Ogre http://ogrehut.net

  9. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    "bigroy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    | Greets all,
    |
    | I recently decided to get into mountain biking to get into shape. Basketball is murder on the old
    | joints. I caught a great deal on a Marin Quake 9.0 exc from 2001 and am currently researching
    | trails in the MD. area. I was wondering what kind of training should I be doing to get into better
    | shape. Is riding roads good to build endurance for off road riding? Any advice would be much
    | appreciated. Being a newb is the suck.
    |
    | bigroy

    I mean this in the most loving way possible:

    Shut up and ride! :)

    Nelson<----Space Commander Blubberpuss

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 6/18/2003

  10. Big Roy:

    Where in MD do you live? Myself and some friends are going out to ride Schaeffer Farms on Sunday if
    you're interested in joining us. This is my first ride in almost a year - had a kid while ago and
    just have not had time to get out and cycle what with wife, kid, job and grad school.

    Email me offline if you're interested. Scaheffer is in Germantown, which is closeby to
    Gaithersburg/Rockville/Frederick.

    "bigroy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Greets all,
    >
    > I recently decided to get into mountain biking to get into shape. Basketball is murder on the old
    > joints. I caught a great deal on a Marin Quake 9.0 exc from 2001 and am currently researching
    > trails in the MD. area. I was wondering what kind of training should I be doing to get into better
    > shape. Is riding roads good to build endurance for off road riding? Any advice would be much
    > appreciated. Being a newb is the suck.
    >
    > bigroy

  11. Higb

    Higb Guest

    bigroy <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Greets all,

    > I recently decided to get into mountain biking to get into shape. Basketball is murder on the old
    > joints. I caught a great deal on a Marin Quake 9.0 exc from 2001 and am currently researching
    > trails in the MD. area. I was wondering what kind of training should I be doing to get into better
    > shape. Is riding roads good to build endurance for off road riding? Any advice would be much
    > appreciated. Being a newb is the suck.

    The thing I like about moutain bike excercise is that it's all about exertion and recovery. You get
    wiped out climbing a hill, have some time to recover, get wiped out on the next hill, and so on, as
    far as you can go.

    I went through it once, and I think I got to be a strong recreational rider. I'm trying now to do it
    again, after too many years sitting in the same chair and the same office all day. I haven't ridden
    seriously for 7 or 8 years.

    FWIW, my strategy (mid-40's, need to add muscle more than I need to lose weight) was to gradually
    bring up the level of activity until I felt good enough for a solid moutain bike ride. Now I'll ride
    shortish (hour and a half) rides without out rest stops, and push myself towards my
    strength/endurance limit on the hills. When I get off the bike I immedately drink something sugary
    to put the glycogen back in my legs, and then I start the clock ... gotta eat protein within an
    hour. Right now I'm forcing myself to two recovery days ... but I might drop that.

    Two months into my program, it feels great. I think in the old days I depleted my legs too much. I
    knew I felt stronger after missing a week or two of riding, but didn't have a good strategy for
    increasing capacity.

    FWIW, I'd say even if you are trying to lose weight ... feed those legs (you need them to power the
    excercise program - pun intended), and take the rest days (whatever they are for you) that you need.

    I like the natural (and compatible with our evolution?) cycle of running hard, and then eating (as
    if you caught something). It seems like good feedback for the body ... get faster, eat sooner ;-)
    Rest a couple of days, and do it again.