ciclosport cm434 vs. vdo matrix mc 1.0 vs something else

glenna1984

May 31, 2005

I am looking to buy a new bike computer with an altimeter. I was able to find about 7-8 review of the CM434. Very Mixed. I found two reviews of the Matrix MC...one written and one verbal from user, both positive.

Does anyone out there have some input for me about the above or any other computer w/altimeter, under $200 MSRP?

Take a look at the Specialized Turbo Pro

Base Altimiter functions
Cadence
Wireless

Basically everything except HR in a package that is smaller than most entry-level no-function computers.

I'm really happy with mine.

I just got the VDO MC 1.0 (not the wireless version) and took it out on a ride today. It's easy to recalibrate the starting altitude...if you are starting at home, just hold down two buttons and it recalibrates to whatever you previously entered as your home altitude (360 for me). This makes it accurate for that day (as your pressure will of course vary from day to day). At the end of the ride (only about 24 miles today as I've got a head cold), the altitude was given as 361. Pretty good! The inclinometer seemed pretty accurate, though there is a 4-second lag, so even after you have flattened out, it still gives you readings for 4 or sometimes even 8 seconds. But it didn't have any major fluctuations, which is nice. It's definitely generous on the altitude gained. It gave me over 1300 feet over the 24 miles, which, while I'm sure this number is fairly accurate, it does give you every little foot you go up, even if it's not really on a climb. I would estimate (and I was paying close attention to the altimeter the whole time) that maybe 800 feet of my gain came on what I would actually consider a climb. So as long as you keep that in mind, I think it's pretty groovy. Buttons are solid and give a good click, the whole unit seems well-built, and navigating through the functions is pretty intuitive. Give the manual a good read at first, but I had everything down after about 15-20 minutes. At $100, I highly recommend it (albeit after only one short ride).

jhodder said:
Take a look at the Specialized Turbo Pro

Base Altimiter functions
Cadence
Wireless

Basically everything except HR in a package that is smaller than most entry-level no-function computers.

I'm really happy with mine.
Do they still make that model? I thought it was discontiuned. Couldn't find any current models on their website with altimeter.

glenna1984 said:

I am looking to buy a new bike computer with an altimeter. I was able to find about 7-8 review of the CM434. Very Mixed. I found two reviews of the Matrix MC...one written and one verbal from user, both positive.

Does anyone out there have some input for me about the above or any other computer w/altimeter, under $200 MSRP?

I've been using the CM434 for about 12 months and like it alot. Lots of functions. Good wireless bike computer, much better signal reception than the wireless Vetta and Specialized that I've used. Recommended.