Ciclosport HAC4 computer speed reading cuts out at high speed

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Bill Kraus, Apr 9, 2003.

  1. Bill Kraus

    Bill Kraus Guest

    Just got a new wireless Ciclosport HAC4 computer. Took it for a spin today and noticed that whenever
    I went above 55 kph on the descents, the speed reading cut out - that is, gave a very low speed
    reading for a few seconds. Everything else (heart rate, altitude, etc. appears fine. The pickup on
    the fork is well within the 60 cm suggested by Ciclosport's manual, and I assume the batteries are
    fine as it is the first time I'm using it (although could it be possible that the batteries in the
    pickup weakened sitting on the store shelf?).

    Anyone else encounter this problem with wireless computers - Ciclsport or not? Any suggestions?

    Bill

    Tags:

  2. Nick Payne

    Nick Payne Guest

    I have the same HAC4 unit with two transmitters on two different bikes, and neither of them suffer
    from the problem you describe. You could try replacing the transmitter battery with a fresh one, but
    the shelf life of the LR23 batteries that the transmitter uses is about 3 years, and I don't think
    the HAC4 has been on the market that long.

    Nick

    "Bill Kraus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Just got a new wireless Ciclosport HAC4 computer. Took it for a spin today and noticed that
    > whenever I went above 55 kph on the descents, the speed reading cut out - that is, gave a very low
    > speed reading for a few
    seconds.
    > Everything else (heart rate, altitude, etc. appears fine. The pickup on
    the
    > fork is well within the 60 cm suggested by Ciclosport's manual, and I
    assume
    > the batteries are fine as it is the first time I'm using it (although
    could
    > it be possible that the batteries in the pickup weakened sitting on the store shelf?).

  3. Bosaci

    Bosaci Guest

    "Bill Kraus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Just got a new wireless Ciclosport HAC4 computer. Took it for a spin today and noticed that
    > whenever I went above 55 kph on the descents, the speed reading cut out - that is, gave a very low
    > speed reading for a few
    seconds.
    > Everything else (heart rate, altitude, etc. appears fine. The pickup on
    the
    > fork is well within the 60 cm suggested by Ciclosport's manual, and I
    assume
    > the batteries are fine as it is the first time I'm using it (although
    could
    > it be possible that the batteries in the pickup weakened sitting on the store shelf?).
    >
    > Anyone else encounter this problem with wireless computers - Ciclsport or not? Any suggestions?

    My Hac4 sputters every once in a while, could be power line interference.

  4. Bill Kraus wrote:
    > Just got a new wireless Ciclosport HAC4 computer. Took it for a spin today and noticed that
    > whenever I went above 55 kph on the descents, the speed reading cut out - that is, gave a very low
    > speed reading for a few seconds. Everything else (heart rate, altitude, etc. appears fine. The
    > pickup on the fork is well within the 60 cm suggested by Ciclosport's manual, and I assume the
    > batteries are fine as it is the first time I'm using it (although could it be possible that the
    > batteries in the pickup weakened sitting on the store shelf?).
    >
    > Anyone else encounter this problem with wireless computers - Ciclsport or not? Any suggestions?
    >
    > Bill

    How close is the magnet to the hub? The closer it is, the slower it will go, and the more likely
    it'll be that its picked up by the sensor. That might fix it.

    Jon Bond

  5. > How close is the magnet to the hub? The closer it is, the slower it will go, and the more likely
    > it'll be that its picked up by the sensor. That might fix it.

    On wireless computers, it's best to mount the xmitter as high on the fork as possible, minimizing
    the distance between xmitter and receiver. This greatly reduces interference problems, as well as
    extends "effective" battery life, since the receiver will pick up a weaker signal from the xmitter.

    In most cases, erratic readings are caused by not properly lining up the magnet with the xmitter.
    There will often be two marks on the xmitter, and it's common for people to think the magnet is
    supposed to be placed between them. That's not the case; the magnet needs to be aligned with either
    one of the two marks.

    "Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Bill Kraus wrote:
    > > Just got a new wireless Ciclosport HAC4 computer. Took it for a spin
    today
    > > and noticed that whenever I went above 55 kph on the descents, the speed reading cut out - that
    > > is, gave a very low speed reading for a few
    seconds.
    > > Everything else (heart rate, altitude, etc. appears fine. The pickup on
    the
    > > fork is well within the 60 cm suggested by Ciclosport's manual, and I
    assume
    > > the batteries are fine as it is the first time I'm using it (although
    could
    > > it be possible that the batteries in the pickup weakened sitting on the store shelf?).
    > >
    > > Anyone else encounter this problem with wireless computers - Ciclsport
    or
    > > not? Any suggestions?
    > >
    > > Bill
    >
    > How close is the magnet to the hub? The closer it is, the slower it will go, and the more likely
    > it'll be that its picked up by the sensor. That might fix it.
    >
    > Jon Bond

  6. Bill Kraus

    Bill Kraus Guest

    Thanks for all the suggestions.

    I do have the transmitter mounted close to the hub high on the fork (and opposite the tire valve),
    and the magnet is aligned with the single mark on the transmitter (I've played around with moving
    the magnet, but this is the best position for pickup).

    As far as interference from power lines, etc, it happened on three separate descents while riding in
    a residential area up here in the mountains - there wasn't any obvious powerlines around.

    I'm going to replace the transmitter battery even though that shouldn't be the issue (since the unit
    is brand new) and give it a try again today.

    > > How close is the magnet to the hub? The closer it is, the slower it will go, and the more likely
    > > it'll be that its picked up by the sensor. That might fix it.
    >
    > On wireless computers, it's best to mount the xmitter as high on the fork
    as
    > possible, minimizing the distance between xmitter and receiver. This greatly reduces interference
    > problems, as well as extends "effective" battery life, since the receiver will pick up a weaker
    > signal from the xmitter.
    >
    > In most cases, erratic readings are caused by not properly lining up the magnet with the xmitter.
    > There will often be two marks on the xmitter,
    and
    > it's common for people to think the magnet is supposed to be placed
    between
    > them. That's not the case; the magnet needs to be aligned with either one of the two marks.

    > "Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Bill Kraus wrote:
    > > > Just got a new wireless Ciclosport HAC4 computer. Took it for a spin
    > today
    > > > and noticed that whenever I went above 55 kph on the descents, the
    speed
    > > > reading cut out - that is, gave a very low speed reading for a few
    > seconds.
    > > > Everything else (heart rate, altitude, etc. appears fine. The pickup
    on
    > the
    > > > fork is well within the 60 cm suggested by Ciclosport's manual, and I
    > assume
    > > > the batteries are fine as it is the first time I'm using it (although
    > could
    > > > it be possible that the batteries in the pickup weakened sitting on
    the
    > > > store shelf?).
    > > >
    > > > Anyone else encounter this problem with wireless computers - Ciclsport
    > or
    > > > not? Any suggestions?
    > > >
    > > > Bill
    > >
    > > How close is the magnet to the hub? The closer it is, the slower it will go, and the more likely
    > > it'll be that its picked up by the sensor. That might fix it.
    > >
    > > Jon Bond

  7. Bill Kraus

    Bill Kraus Guest

    After I posted my last message, I realized I contradicted myself. I have the transmitter mounted
    near the wheel rim (not the hub), high on the fork. This minimizes the distance between the
    transmitter and receiver.

    I could try moving the transmitter closer to the hub (low on the fork), increasing the distance from
    the receiver but possibly benefiting from the slower speed of the magnet as it moves around the
    wheel (same rpm but over shorter distance).

    I'll give it a try.

    ----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> Newsgroups:
    rec.bicycles.tech Sent: Wednesday, April 09, 2003 11:02 PM Subject: Re: Ciclosport HAC4 computer
    speed reading cuts out at high speed

    > > How close is the magnet to the hub? The closer it is, the slower it will go, and the more likely
    > > it'll be that its picked up by the sensor. That might fix it.
    >
    > On wireless computers, it's best to mount the xmitter as high on the fork
    as
    > possible, minimizing the distance between xmitter and receiver. This greatly reduces interference
    > problems, as well as extends "effective" battery life, since the receiver will pick up a weaker
    > signal from the xmitter.

  8. One other thing to check out. Sometimes the receiver battery (which is located in the receiver
    mount, *not* in the head unit itself) goes bad prematurely. Happened to mine. It's a standard 2032
    battery, nothing fancy.