Cigarettes and Running

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by RunningRose, Mar 27, 2005.

  1. RunningRose

    RunningRose Guest

    I live in NY city and know plenty of people who smoke and run and have
    done so for years. I am a journalist writing a piece about smokers who
    routinely exercise. Do you know anyone who smokes cigarettes but still
    manages to get to the gym 2-3 times a week? If so, it would be great to
    interview them. Email me or call the number below and leave a message.

    Thanks,
    Catherine Saint Louis
    The New York Times
    212 556 1234

    Tags:

  2. Al Capone

    Al Capone Guest

    >Email me or call the number below and leave a message.>

    The message with heavy breathing, and screams of ectasy, was me.

  3. RunningRose wrote:
    > I live in NY city and know plenty of people who smoke and run and

    have
    > done so for years. I am a journalist writing a piece about smokers

    who
    > routinely exercise. Do you know anyone who smokes cigarettes but

    still
    > manages to get to the gym 2-3 times a week? If so, it would be great

    > interview them. Email me or call the number below and leave a

    message.

    > Thanks,
    > Catherine Saint Louis
    > The New York Times
    > 212 556 1234

    How about writing an article about some unsavory characters who lurk
    about a 'public' NG conducting themselves in a manner which is
    'affront' to the pastime which they profess to enjoy and represent?

    I take it for granted that this NG provides for a representative sample
    of the runner's 'attitude'.

    Henceforth, I shall keep it in mind, every time that I see a jogger.
    I myself have wasted enough time, herein.

    Good bye.

    RL

  4. On 27 Mar 2005 18:24:02 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

    >RunningRose wrote:
    >> I live in NY city and know plenty of people who smoke and run and

    >have
    >> done so for years. I am a journalist writing a piece about smokers

    >who
    >> routinely exercise. Do you know anyone who smokes cigarettes but

    >still
    >> manages to get to the gym 2-3 times a week? If so, it would be great

    >> interview them. Email me or call the number below and leave a

    >message.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Catherine Saint Louis
    >> The New York Times
    >> 212 556 1234

    >How about writing an article about some unsavory characters who lurk
    >about a 'public' NG conducting themselves in a manner which is
    >'affront' to the pastime which they profess to enjoy and represent?

    Those characters are not interesting enough.

    >I take it for granted that this NG provides for a representative sample
    >of the runner's 'attitude'.

    No. You have come across losers, not runners.

    _g

  5. On 27 Mar 2005 14:50:51 -0800, "RunningRose"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I live in NY city and know plenty of people who smoke and run and have
    >done so for years. I am a journalist writing a piece about smokers who
    >routinely exercise. Do you know anyone who smokes cigarettes but still
    >manages to get to the gym 2-3 times a week? If so, it would be great to
    >interview them. Email me or call the number below and leave a message.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Catherine Saint Louis
    >The New York Times
    >212 556 1234

    I know people who surf waves in Hawaii and smoke. I don't. Any fool
    can smoke and go to the gym. It's a lot more serious when you get
    held down by a big wave.

    You don't have much of a story IMO unless you find some interesting
    characters. Addiction is addiction.

    _g

  6. On 27 Mar 2005 15:18:56 -0800, "Al Capone" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >>Email me or call the number below and leave a message.>

    >The message with heavy breathing, and screams of ectasy, was me.

    Bending over and taking it in.

    _g

  7. rick++

    rick++ Guest

    I "smoke" while running without using
    tobacco or herbs :)

  8. rick++

    rick++ Guest

    On a more serious note, I often climb high mountains in
    Colorado. This can take a effort equivalent running when
    you are at high altitude and/or doing technical moves on rock.
    I was surprised the first couple of times to see people
    smoking on the summit or during rest breaks. Its not a large
    number of people, but unexpected.

  9. rick++ wrote:
    > On a more serious note, I often climb high mountains in
    > Colorado. This can take a effort equivalent running when
    > you are at high altitude and/or doing technical moves on rock.
    > I was surprised the first couple of times to see people
    > smoking on the summit or during rest breaks. Its not a large
    > number of people, but unexpected.

    I also enjoy climbing. I don't know if you saw it, but there was a
    whole article in Alpinist on climbers and 4:20.

    Martha