"Cilanthro"?

Pennyaline

Guest
That is what he said: "Cilanthro." "Careful how you chop your cilanthro"
or words to that effect, "because it gets its culinary feelings hurt,"
etc., etc.

Yeppers, that's what he said. He's been saying it constantly on this
morning's show. Chiarello is calling cilantro "cilanthro."

"Pennyaline" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> That is what he said: "Cilanthro." "Careful how you chop your cilanthro"
> or words to that effect, "because it gets its culinary feelings hurt,"
> etc., etc.
>
> Yeppers, that's what he said. He's been saying it constantly on this
> morning's show. Chiarello is calling cilantro "cilanthro."

Makes you have a lot of faith in his knowledge, doesn't it -- but perhaps
he's from Spain. Oops, that's a different thing -- you know, Bar th lon-a -
Bar seh lon a
Dee Dee

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 11:27:15 -0700, Pennyaline wrote:

> That is what he said: "Cilanthro."

Maybe he is trying to roll the r.. and it is coming across as cilanthro
instead of "cilantRRo."

"..in Spanish, RR is a rolling 'r'. This usually takes practice. Try
purring like a cat."

meow..

<[email protected]> wrote:

>That is what he said: "Cilanthro." "Careful how you chop your cilanthro"
>or words to that effect, "because it gets its culinary feelings hurt,"
>etc., etc.

More than a few people pronounce it that way.

-sw

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 11:27:15 -0700, Pennyaline wrote:

> That is what he said: "Cilanthro." "Careful how you chop your cilanthro"
> or words to that effect, "because it gets its culinary feelings hurt,"
> etc., etc.
>
> Yeppers, that's what he said. He's been saying it constantly on this
> morning's show. Chiarello is calling cilantro "cilanthro."

Chiarello before noon? Which show is this?
I don't have him listed until 1PM.

Easy Entertaining with Michael Chiarello

Marrakech Nights
+ Tagine of Lamb Stracotto with Spring Onions
+ Couscous with Quick Preserved Lemon
+ Ceci alla Siciliana

"Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 11:27:15 -0700, Pennyaline
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>That is what he said: "Cilanthro." "Careful how you chop your cilanthro"
>>or words to that effect, "because it gets its culinary feelings hurt,"
>>etc., etc.

> More than a few people pronounce it that way.
>
> -sw

How many is 'more than a few'? Just curious. Is it a regional
pronounciation?
Dee Dee

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 14:43:29 -0500, "Dee Randall"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 11:27:15 -0700, Pennyaline
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>That is what he said: "Cilanthro." "Careful how you chop your cilanthro"
>>>or words to that effect, "because it gets its culinary feelings hurt,"
>>>etc., etc.

>> More than a few people pronounce it that way.

>How many is 'more than a few'? Just curious. Is it a regional
>pronounciation?

Yeah - Chinese people who have trouble pronouncing R's.

;-)

-sw

"Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 14:43:29 -0500, "Dee Randall"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>"Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...

>>> More than a few people pronounce it that way.

>>How many is 'more than a few'? Just curious. Is it a regional
>>pronounciation?

> Yeah - Chinese people who have trouble pronouncing R's.
>
> ;-)
>
> -sw

"Give me an "L."
Dee Dee

"sf" <[email protected]> wrote

> Chiarello before noon? Which show is this?
> I don't have him listed until 1PM.

I didn't watch, but he's on at noon, here.

nancy

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 11:27:15 -0700, Pennyaline wrote:

> That is what he said: "Cilanthro." "Careful how you chop your cilanthro"
> or words to that effect, "because it gets its culinary feelings hurt,"
> etc., etc.
>
> Yeppers, that's what he said. He's been saying it constantly on this
> morning's show. Chiarello is calling cilantro "cilanthro."

OhMGawd! He DID actually say "cilanthro"! How funny is that? He
wasn't even close to rolling his "r" either. Sill-an-throw with a
short vowel a at that. Whoever let him get away with it should be
fired. ROTFLMAO!

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 13:27:49 -0800, sf wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 11:27:15 -0700, Pennyaline wrote:
>
> > That is what he said: "Cilanthro." "Careful how you chop your cilanthro"
> > or words to that effect, "because it gets its culinary feelings hurt,"
> > etc., etc.
> >
> > Yeppers, that's what he said. He's been saying it constantly on this
> > morning's show. Chiarello is calling cilantro "cilanthro."

> OhMGawd! He DID actually say "cilanthro"! How funny is that? He
> wasn't even close to rolling his "r" either. Sill-an-throw with a
> short vowel a at that. Whoever let him get away with it should be
> fired. ROTFLMAO!

Oh, wait... it was a MORROCCAN meal. Maybe that's the way they
pronounce cilantro in that part of the world.

sf wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 13:27:49 -0800, sf wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 11:27:15 -0700, Pennyaline wrote:
>>
>> > That is what he said: "Cilanthro." "Careful how you chop your cilanthro"
>> > or words to that effect, "because it gets its culinary feelings hurt,"
>> > etc., etc.
>> >
>> > Yeppers, that's what he said. He's been saying it constantly on this
>> > morning's show. Chiarello is calling cilantro "cilanthro."

>> OhMGawd! He DID actually say "cilanthro"! How funny is that? He
>> wasn't even close to rolling his "r" either. Sill-an-throw with a
>> short vowel a at that. Whoever let him get away with it should be
>> fired. ROTFLMAO!

> Oh, wait... it was a MORROCCAN meal. Maybe that's the way they
> pronounce cilantro in that part of the world.

Now, that's an interesting thought. Maybe that's the problem. I doubt
it, but maybe...

<as if that poser would know that Moroccan pronunciation of anything>

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 15:00:50 -0700, Pennyaline wrote:

> <as if that poser would know that Moroccan pronunciation of anything>

Hell, I don't even know what they speak over there... Arabic?

<[email protected]> wrote:

>Yeppers, that's what he said. He's been saying it constantly on this
>morning's show. Chiarello is calling cilantro "cilanthro."

That ain't as bad as that moron Emeril. I can't believe how many
common ingredients he can't pronounce. Makes me wonder if he ever
worked in a kitchen.

-sw

sf wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 11:27:15 -0700, Pennyaline wrote:
>
> > That is what he said: "Cilanthro." "Careful how you chop your cilanthro"
> > or words to that effect, "because it gets its culinary feelings hurt,"
> > etc., etc.
> >
> > Yeppers, that's what he said. He's been saying it constantly on this
> > morning's show. Chiarello is calling cilantro "cilanthro."

> OhMGawd! He DID actually say "cilanthro"! How funny is that? He
> wasn't even close to rolling his "r" either. Sill-an-throw with a
> short vowel a at that. Whoever let him get away with it should be
> fired. ROTFLMAO!
> --

I guess I'm missing the joke here because I don't know this guy
Chiarello. Does he usually speak distinctively in some way? People
on cooking shows mispronounce things all the time. Why is this one
particularly funny? -aem

On 19 Feb 2006 14:23:39 -0800, "aem" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I guess I'm missing the joke here because I don't know this guy
>Chiarello. Does he usually speak distinctively in some way?

Yeah - like a sissy.

-sw

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 16:36:14 -0600, Steve Wertz wrote:

> On 19 Feb 2006 14:23:39 -0800, "aem" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I guess I'm missing the joke here because I don't know this guy
> >Chiarello. Does he usually speak distinctively in some way?

> Yeah - like a sissy.

Chiarello doesn't *usually* say it that way though.

"Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 11:27:15 -0700, Pennyaline
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Yeppers, that's what he said. He's been saying it constantly on this
>>morning's show. Chiarello is calling cilantro "cilanthro."

> That ain't as bad as that moron Emeril. I can't believe how many
> common ingredients he can't pronounce. Makes me wonder if he ever
> worked in a kitchen.
>
> -sw

Nothing makes me cringe more than when someone says "Combine it together."
One week, I heard it so many times I was thinking it must be some weird
inside joke. What if I want to combine it apart, huh?

fwiw...Moroccans speak "Moroccan" a kind of
Arabic dialect that has a lot of French mixed in...They also speak
French.
Moroccans say they can understand most Arabic speaking people--but most
other Arabic speakers cannot understand Moroccans....(this info from my
Moroccan husband..who might think he is just "a little" special....
Cilantro in Arabic is I think...kuzbara or something like that....

Tracy