"Cilanthro"?

aem wrote:
> sf wrote:
>> On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 11:27:15 -0700, Pennyaline wrote:
>>
>>> That is what he said: "Cilanthro." "Careful how you chop your cilanthro"
>>> or words to that effect, "because it gets its culinary feelings hurt,"
>>> etc., etc.
>>>
>>> Yeppers, that's what he said. He's been saying it constantly on this
>>> morning's show. Chiarello is calling cilantro "cilanthro."

>> OhMGawd! He DID actually say "cilanthro"! How funny is that? He
>> wasn't even close to rolling his "r" either. Sill-an-throw with a
>> short vowel a at that. Whoever let him get away with it should be
>> fired. ROTFLMAO!
>> --

> I guess I'm missing the joke here because I don't know this guy
> Chiarello. Does he usually speak distinctively in some way? People
> on cooking shows mispronounce things all the time. Why is this one
> particularly funny? -aem

To my mind, Chiarello is the worst of the FoodTV posers. Unlike other
hosts, who have given up even a passing knowledge of other places in the
world, Chiarello's universe seems to extend no further than his
vineyards in California wine country. His perspective is short and
narrow. His ideas, speech, recipes and food staging come straight out of
magazines and it's easy to guess that he's never been, so to speak, off
the farm. He is another one of those cooking show hosts who stage
everything as a "party" and uses his "friends" as set dressing and
extras in his own great pageant. Like the Big Fat Contessa's,
Chiarello's "friends" are servile and vapid, and in conversation and
while returning demonstrations in food preparation demonstrate primarily
that they have never done a God-damned thing in their lives. And there
is the matter of this stringy old bird who flutters about him constantly
and must be the kind of mother he never had. He introduces his
parties/episodes with references to "being surrounded by good friends
and GREAT food" while these host-proclaimed second-rate "friends" orbit
him and pretend to chat and cook and swill a few bottles of the estate.
And he, like all obedient slaves to fashion, puts cilantro in everything
he hasn't already put basil in. As a good fawning shill, he raves about
it, but can't even pronounce it.

Pennyaline wrote:
> aem wrote:
> > I guess I'm missing the joke here because I don't know this guy
> > Chiarello. [snip]

> To my mind, Chiarello is the worst of the FoodTV posers. Unlike other
> hosts, who have given up even a passing knowledge of other places in the
> world, Chiarello's universe seems to extend no further than his
> vineyards in California wine country. His perspective is short and
> narrow. His ideas, speech, recipes and food staging come straight out of
> magazines and it's easy to guess that he's never been, so to speak, off
> the farm. [snip].
> And he, like all obedient slaves to fashion, puts cilantro in everything
> he hasn't already put basil in. As a good fawning shill, he raves about
> it, but can't even pronounce it.

I guess you're saying I've missed some annoying characteristics. But
can he cook? The cooking shows I enjoy are the ones where they can
cook and they can explain what they're doing so you can replicate it.
I can put up with annoyances if I'm learning something good. -aem

On 19 Feb 2006 14:57:24 -0800, Tracy wrote:

> Cilantro in Arabic is I think...kuzbara or something like that....

Well, that blows my theory right out of the water. LOLOL

Dee Randall wrote:

>"Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>

>>On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 11:27:15 -0700, Pennyaline
>><[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>>That is what he said: "Cilanthro." "Careful how you chop your cilanthro"
>>>or words to that effect, "because it gets its culinary feelings hurt,"
>>>etc., etc.
>>>

>>More than a few people pronounce it that way.
>>
>>-sw
>>

>How many is 'more than a few'? Just curious. Is it a regional
>pronounciation?
>Dee Dee

In this part of the world we pronounce it "coriander".

Christine

aem wrote:

>Pennyaline wrote:
>

>>aem wrote:
>>

>>>I guess I'm missing the joke here because I don't know this guy
>>>Chiarello. [snip]
>>>

>>To my mind, Chiarello is the worst of the FoodTV posers. Unlike other
>>hosts, who have given up even a passing knowledge of other places in the
>>world, Chiarello's universe seems to extend no further than his
>>vineyards in California wine country. His perspective is short and
>>narrow. His ideas, speech, recipes and food staging come straight out of
>>magazines and it's easy to guess that he's never been, so to speak, off
>>the farm. [snip].
>>And he, like all obedient slaves to fashion, puts cilantro in everything
>>he hasn't already put basil in. As a good fawning shill, he raves about
>>it, but can't even pronounce it.
>>

>I guess you're saying I've missed some annoying characteristics. But
>can he cook? The cooking shows I enjoy are the ones where they can
>cook and they can explain what they're doing so you can replicate it.
>I can put up with annoyances if I'm learning something good. -aem

You'd be a fan of Delia Smith, I suppose. We don't get her shows much in
Australia for some reason (not on free to air anyway).

Christine

D.Currie wrote:
> Nothing makes me cringe more than when someone says "Combine it together."
> One week, I heard it so many times I was thinking it must be some weird
> inside joke. What if I want to combine it apart, huh?

"...just when it begins to start..."

--Blair
"Admit it. You cringed more."

"Blair P. Houghton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> D.Currie wrote:
>> Nothing makes me cringe more than when someone says "Combine it
>> together."
>> One week, I heard it so many times I was thinking it must be some weird
>> inside joke. What if I want to combine it apart, huh?

> "...just when it begins to start..."
>
> --Blair
> "Admit it. You cringed more."

Aaargh! My eyes!

That's truly awful.

Donna

I was under the impression that coriander is the seed of the plant, and
cilantro (or cilanthro or whatever) is the leaf.

I detest cilantro, even a small amount in my food makes me gag, though
I've heard that I'm not alone in this. Coriander seeds, on the other
hand, has a mild and totally unoffensive lemony taste to me, and I
enjoy it in North African and Indian cooking.

Applecandy

On 21 Feb 2006 14:49:25 -0800, "Applecandy" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I was under the impression that coriander is the seed of the plant, and
>cilantro (or cilanthro or whatever) is the leaf.

Corriander is used to describe the plant itself. When a recipe
calls for "Corriander", then it could mean either one, buy usually
just the seed. Botonanists will always refer to the plant as
Corriander, hardly every cilantro.

-sw