Cilo Bicycle Upgrade

TDS

Guest
I have a late 80's (1987?) Cilo road bike. It has a shimano biopace dual
crank and 6spd cassette. I like the bike and would like to upgrade it to be
a triple crank (for hills) and 9 spd cassette. I was thinking of Shimano
105 components. Is this practical / doable?

Any comments / suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Kent

TDS wrote:

> I have a late 80's (1987?) Cilo road bike. It has a shimano biopace dual
> crank and 6spd cassette. I like the bike and would like to upgrade it to be
> a triple crank (for hills) and 9 spd cassette. I was thinking of Shimano
> 105 components. Is this practical / doable?

This bike is most likely spaced for a 126 mm rear hub. If it's one of
the steel Cilos, re-spacing it is a trivial matter, and it's well worth
the upgrade.

See: http://sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing

If it's one of the glued aluminum (Vitus) ones I'd be nervous about
spreading the frame.

Sheldon "Used To Sell Those" Brown
| What are politicians going to tell people when the |
| Constitution is gone and we still have a drug problem? |
| -- William Simpson, A.C.L.U. |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

You might want to read a recent thread here on compact cranks (ie cranks using
smaller chain rings). These permit one to easily achieve the lower gear ratios
found on most triple cranks without all the fuss and expense. Useful with any
number of cogs in the back.

TDS wrote:

> I have a late 80's (1987?) Cilo road bike. It has a shimano biopace dual
> crank and 6spd cassette. I like the bike and would like to upgrade it to be
> a triple crank (for hills) and 9 spd cassette. I was thinking of Shimano
> 105 components. Is this practical / doable?
>
> Any comments / suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Kent

>I have a late 80's (1987?) Cilo road bike. It has a shimano biopace dual
>crank and 6spd cassette. I like the bike and would like to upgrade it to be
>a triple crank (for hills) and 9 spd cassette. I was thinking of Shimano
>105 components. Is this practical / doable?

Yes it is doable. It will take some work. You will need to have the spacing
on your rear triangle re-set to 130 to accept a 9spd wheel. You will need to
buy:

rear wheel
9spd cassette
9spd chain
9spd cranks
matching BB
That is a minimum. If you want to go to STI, then you will also need the STI
levers and an index compatible derailleur. Check the prices on these parts and
then you can decide if it is worth it to you.
---------------
Alex

Alex Rodriguez wrote:

>>I have a late 80's (1987?) Cilo road bike. It has a shimano biopace dual
>>crank and 6spd cassette. I like the bike and would like to upgrade it to be
>>a triple crank (for hills) and 9 spd cassette. I was thinking of Shimano
>>105 components. Is this practical / doable?

> Yes it is doable. It will take some work. You will need to have the spacing
> on your rear triangle re-set to 130 to accept a 9spd wheel. You will need to
> buy:
>
> rear wheel
> 9spd cassette
> 9spd chain
> 9spd cranks
> matching BB
> That is a minimum. If you want to go to STI, then you will also need the STI
> levers and an index compatible derailleur. Check the prices on these parts and
> then you can decide if it is worth it to you.
> Alex

Maybe new cranks, BB and front der are not needed?

Francesco