Cipo gets his wish

Robert Chung

Guest
"I think that my two major rivals in the sprints are going to be Petacchi and McEwen. I'm not really
thinking of the possibility of getting beaten. But if I'm going to get beaten, I'd rather get beaten
by Petacchi because he's a great athlete and a great person."

Henry will want to know that Petacchi had enough of a gap to raise his hands. Looked like Graeme
Brown won't be on Robbie McEwen's Christmas list.

"Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "I think that my two major rivals in the sprints are going to be Petacchi and McEwen. I'm not
> really thinking of the possibility of getting beaten. But if I'm going to get beaten, I'd rather
> get beaten by Petacchi because he's a great athlete and a great person."
>
> Henry will want to know that Petacchi had enough of a gap to raise his hands. Looked like Graeme
> Brown won't be on Robbie McEwen's Christmas list.

Was it just me or did it look to anyone else that Cipo sprinted at about 95% today? Could he have
been paying Pettachi back for his Worlds work? Dave

nah i'm not buyin it, the pink jersey, 41 stage wins, points lead etc all in one race with the
rainbow on his back.... he wanted it but Pettachi did a better job of finishing.. at least he didn't
lose it to Robbie Mc...

"Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > "I think that my two major rivals in the sprints are going to be
Petacchi
> > and McEwen. I'm not really thinking of the possibility of getting
beaten.
> > But if I'm going to get beaten, I'd rather get beaten by Petacchi
because
> > he's a great athlete and a great person."
> >
> > Henry will want to know that Petacchi had enough of a gap to raise his hands. Looked like Graeme
> > Brown won't be on Robbie McEwen's Christmas
list.

> Was it just me or did it look to anyone else that Cipo sprinted at about
95% today? Could he have
> been paying Pettachi back for his Worlds work?

I can't see him giving away any wins until he beats Binda's record.

> "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > > "I think that my two major rivals in the sprints are going to be
> Petacchi
> > > and McEwen. I'm not really thinking of the possibility of getting
> beaten.
> > > But if I'm going to get beaten, I'd rather get beaten by Petacchi
> because
> > > he's a great athlete and a great person."
> > >
> > > Henry will want to know that Petacchi had enough of a gap to raise his hands. Looked like
> > > Graeme Brown won't be on Robbie McEwen's Christmas
> list.
> > >

> > Was it just me or did it look to anyone else that Cipo sprinted at about
> 95% today? Could he have
> > been paying Pettachi back for his Worlds work?
>

> I can't see him giving away any wins until he beats Binda's record.

I can..even though he was in a good spot, the finish didn't suit him today, plenty of flat stages
left, I think by his statement in cyclingnews.com the other day he gave us a glimpse of today's
stage Dave

"Dave" <[email protected]> wrote

> Was it just me or did it look to anyone else that Cipo sprinted at about
95% today?

I'm thinking that it was just you.

That look on Cipo's face as Petacchi came around him wasn't the look of someone who didn't care. I
think the zebra train left him a bit early, maybe 150m short of the line (hard to tell from the
camera angle, but it seemed like a longer distance than Cipo usually likes). His train had to work
harder than usual, I think -- the final approach was kinda technical. I was surprised to see one of
the Domina riders who'd already peeled off have to come back into the lead.

"Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote
> >
> > Was it just me or did it look to anyone else that Cipo sprinted at about
> 95% today?
>
> I'm thinking that it was just you.
>
> That look on Cipo's face as Petacchi came around him wasn't the look of someone who didn't care. I
> think the zebra train left him a bit early,
maybe
> 150m short of the line (hard to tell from the camera angle, but it seemed like a longer distance
> than Cipo usually likes). His train had to work harder than usual, I think -- the final approach
> was kinda technical. I
was
> surprised to see one of the Domina riders who'd already peeled off have to come back into
> the lead.

A technical finish is easier to control if the team knows how to chop the corners (inside
to outside).

I think a straight finish is harder to control. Then again, over on this side of the ocean, we're
basically crit scum.

"Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in
message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > Petacchi
> > beaten.
> > because

Christmas
> > list.
> > > >

> > > Was it just me or did it look to anyone else that Cipo sprinted at
about
> > 95% today? Could he have
> > > been paying Pettachi back for his Worlds work?
> >

> > I can't see him giving away any wins until he beats Binda's record.
>
> I can..even though he was in a good spot, the finish didn't suit him
today, plenty of flat stages
> left, I think by his statement in cyclingnews.com the other day he gave us
a glimpse of today's
> stage

He didn't give it away, he got beat.

It doesn't make sense for him to give anything away until he gets the 42nd stage win. Then he can
relax. He's 36 years old - there aren't an infinite number of chances left.

"Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote
> A technical finish is easier to control if the team knows how to chop the corners (inside to
> outside).

Right, and last year A&S did that very well but yesterday the Domina train couldn't scrape the
contenders off in the corners. It was interesting seeing how many guys were left at the end trying
to fight for Cipo's wheel. That's when Brown and McEwen were leaning on each other. Even so, I
thought Cipo was going to win. Petacchi surprised me.

"Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I was surprised to see one of the Domina riders who'd already peeled off have to come back into
>the lead.

Even more meaningful was the fact that the rider was Mario Scirea, Cipo's most faithful lieutenant.

add to this the stage profiles stat climbing all this week and he may not get another shot till
week two....