Cipo is in the Tour

Bob Schwartz wrote:
> Dan Connelly <d_j_c_o_n_n_e_l@i_e_e_e.o_r_g> wrote:
>
>>Bob Schwartz wrote:
>>
>>>In order to contest stages past the first week the Jester needs a team that is capable of holding
>>>the race together in order to insure a sprint finish. He no longer commands forces of that
>>>magnitude, he survives by his wits. And wit is not sufficient in a transitional stage. The
>>>Assassin will share the beach with the Jester, who will thumb his nose at the Duke yet again.
>

>>Fasso will keep it together. Cipo no longer has the responsibility, as he is no longer the
>>prime threat.
>

> For who will Fassa keep it together? The guy on the beach?
>
> Dan, I'm talking about tragedy, not comedy.
>
> Bob Schwartz [email protected]

Whoops.... I missed the "after first week part".

There's always a sprint finish or two after the first week, plus the final in Paris.

Dan

"SMMB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de : news:[email protected]
> berlin.de...
> > Jeff Jones wrote:
> > > Surprise, surprise!
> > >
> > > http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2004/feb04/feb27news3
> >
> > Holy cow.
> >
> > Here are the Division I teams who got jumped over:
>
> > Bankgiroloterij Saunier Duval Vini Caldirola
>
> These three, you claim were hijacked, did not even ask to participate !

They're not French teams, what's your question?

"Kyle Legate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Dan Connelly wrote:
> > Bob Schwartz wrote:
> >> It is no such thing. Leblanc is clearly a fan of the opera, and he is letting this cloud his
> >> better judgement. This relationship is cursed. It can only end in tragedy and death.
> >>
> >> Cipo's abilities as a sprinter are fading, but he is more than capable of playing the jester in
> >> Duke Jean-Marie's palace.
> >>
> >> Petacchi is the assassin. Gilda is a podium babe. Her love is forbidden by the outraged Duke,
> >> and she is banished.
> >>
> >> This relationship is cursed. Everybody dies in the end. Maybe one or two characters will be
> >> left to wail in grief. Cipo will be on the beach before the second act begins.
> >
> > Cipo will avoid the carnage by stating his goal is to finish. Winning stages? Been there, done
> > that. This year, he wants to prove LeBlanc's decisions of the past 4 years have been invalid.
> > Meanwhile, Pettachi will be the one on the beach, as last year. Once he's gone, Cipo will have
> > his chances.
> >
> I agree with both of you. Leblanc is counting on Cipo getting spanked by Petacchi; I'm sure he'd
> like nothing better. But first and foremost
Leblanc
> is a businessman, and he knows that Cipo will bring a greater viewership than on any of the
> 'hijacked' division I teams. I think Cipo has mentioned in the past that he would finish this
> Tour, and some people (like me) will be watching him for that.
>
> Cipo Watch 2004

I wonder why it needs to be pointed out that the duels between Petacchi and Cipollini will fill 2
week of the really boring first 2/3's of the Tour this year. Talking about a flying Petacchi now is
about as relevent as talking about a flying Cipollini in '91. The only thing that counts is what
happens in July '04.

I'm cheering for Mario but I like Petacchi better.

[email protected] (Richard Adams) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Jeff Jones" <jeff@cyclingnews-punt-com> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > Surprise, surprise!
> >
> > http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2004/feb04/feb27news3
> >
> > Jeff
>
> *gasp*
>
> Good Sportsman Angel on Right Shoulder: "Congratulations to his fine team, I look forward to
> watching them compete on the grandest stage."
>
> Bad Sportsman Demon on Left Shoulder: "OK, who's organizing the pool for when he bails. I've got
> $5 says he packs it on Stage 12"

I bet that Cipo will aim to last longer than Petacchi just to spite him. He also will last longer
than Jaan Kirsipuu for sure.

2003 was fantastic, but I'm convinced that the 2004 Tour will be the most exciting since the days of
Greg LeMond and Bernard Hinault. With so many teams rebuilding around riders who have generated
spectacular results last season, we are going to see a changing of the guard in a BIG way. Petacchi
is just the most prominent member of the new formation.

There are so many people primed to ****** the overall from Armstrong's greedy paws... I echo, in the
strongest possible terms, Madariaga's wish for his Euskaltel team to win the Tour by the end of
2006. But I also hope that Alejandro Valverde, despite all of the talk to the contrary, gets a
chance to prove his mettle in the world's biggest sporting event. I have the distinct feeling that
this guy is the next Eddy Merckx... even more than Bettini, Valverde is simply indefatigable.

-Sonarrat.

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004, benjo maso wrote:
> What do you think? Petacchi making an obscene gesture when Cipo sings to him "Pari siamo"? Or Cipo
> after a series of defeats throwing again his water bottles to the journalists under the ringing
> tones of "Giornalisti, vil razza dannata"?

Cavaradossi might finally be enrolled into the cast at Torre del Lago to sing the final 'Io muoio
disperato ... '. For eternal glory!

Sergio Pisa

[email protected] (Sonarrat) wrote:

>I have the distinct feeling that this guy is the next Eddy Merckx... even more than Bettini,
>Valverde is simply indefatigable.

There had never been, there isn't and there will never be a "next Eddy Merckx". He was a one of a
kind specimen, impossible to replicate.

"Davide Tosi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (Sonarrat) wrote:
>
>>I have the distinct feeling that this guy is the next Eddy Merckx... even more than Bettini,
>>Valverde is simply indefatigable.
>
> There had never been, there isn't and there will never be a "next Eddy Merckx". He was a one of a
> kind specimen, impossible to replicate.

But quite easy to duplicate!

Dashi

[email protected] (Davide Tosi) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (Sonarrat) wrote:
>
> >I have the distinct feeling that this guy is the next Eddy Merckx... even more than Bettini,
> >Valverde is simply indefatigable.
>
> There had never been, there isn't and there will never be a "next Eddy Merckx". He was a one of a
> kind specimen, impossible to replicate.

I was thinking the same things the other day. Both things, that Valverde is the next Merckx, and
that there will never be another Merckx. It's fun to watch someone try.

>From: Alex Rodriguez

>I would say this came a year too late. Last year he probably would have put on a better show, so to
>speak. This year I wonder if he still has it in him.

Well at present he is still alive, unlike Pantani who also was not "invited" last year, after also
showing at least something earlier in the season.

Just a guess. Admitting ignorance, in front. --TP

[email protected] (jim gravity) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (Davide Tosi) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > [email protected] (Sonarrat) wrote:
> >
> > >I have the distinct feeling that this guy is the next Eddy Merckx... even more than Bettini,
> > >Valverde is simply indefatigable.
> >
> > There had never been, there isn't and there will never be a "next Eddy Merckx". He was a one of
> > a kind specimen, impossible to replicate.
>
> I was thinking the same things the other day. Both things, that Valverde is the next Merckx, and
> that there will never be another Merckx. It's fun to watch someone try.

Try, he certainly does... tries his ass off, and he's thrilling to watch because of it. it's true
that there will never be another Eddy Merckx, who was strong enough to shed the entire peloton just
by riding at his own pace. I think today, pretty much any rider in the top-10 of a race like KBK is
as strong as Eddy Merckx was in his prime. The field is fairly level, and results depend on
preparation - slash "preparation" - more than anything else.

-Sonarrat.

Bob Schwartz <[email protected]> wrote:

> It is no such thing. Leblanc is clearly a fan of the opera, and he is letting this cloud his
> better judgement. This relationship is cursed. It can only end in tragedy and death.

> Cipo's abilities as a sprinter are fading, but he is more than capable of playing the jester in
> Duke Jean-Marie's palace.

> Petacchi is the assassin. Gilda is a podium babe. Her love is forbidden by the outraged Duke, and
> she is banished.

> This relationship is cursed. Everybody dies in the end. Maybe one or two characters will be left
> to wail in grief. Cipo will be on the beach before the second act begins.

King Learblanc, in the waning years of his reign (didn't he used to threaten to retire, and didn't
Baal get tired of waiting?) fails to appreciate Cipo's dedication to his event, expressed without
the excessive pleasantries ("I love your majesty according to my bond, no more nor less"). Instead,
he apportions the wild card riches of his realm among the schemers, flatterer and undesirables, full
of false promise: the parts of R- and G- are played by Rumsas and Gilberto, and then there's Team
Coast, and a host of French extras. It is a true tragedy, in that Learblanc realizes his mistake but
far too late to make things right.

Petacchi plays the part of Edgar, the good son; though victorious over his rivals, he departs in the
end, leaving bit players to take the green jersey and win the sprint on the Champs-Elysees.

Ben

P.S. Oh yeah, Christophe Moreau is the Fool. He just is.

"Kyle Legate" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> But first and foremost Leblanc is a businessman, and he knows that Cipo will bring a greater
> viewership than on any of the 'hijacked' division I teams.

if that was LeBlob's motivation, he would've invited cipo's team in 2002 when he was still hot.

> I think Cipo has mentioned in the past that he would finish this Tour, and some people (like me)
> will be watching him for that.

better climbers than cipo have trouble finishing the tour, so i don't see that happening unless he
shaves his head and channels marco pantani

In article <4042e25c$1@darkstar>, Benjamin Weiner <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Bob Schwartz <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > It is no such thing. Leblanc is clearly a fan of the opera, and he is letting this cloud his
> > better judgement. This relationship is cursed. It can only end in tragedy and death.
>
> > Cipo's abilities as a sprinter are fading, but he is more than capable of playing the jester in
> > Duke Jean-Marie's palace.
>
> > Petacchi is the assassin. Gilda is a podium babe. Her love is forbidden by the outraged Duke,
> > and she is banished.
>
> > This relationship is cursed. Everybody dies in the end. Maybe one or two characters will be left
> > to wail in grief. Cipo will be on the beach before the second act begins.
>
> King Learblanc, in the waning years of his reign (didn't he used to threaten to retire, and didn't
> Baal get tired of waiting?) fails to appreciate Cipo's dedication to his event, expressed without
> the excessive pleasantries ("I love your majesty according to my bond, no more nor less").
> Instead, he apportions the wild card riches of his realm among the schemers, flatterer and
> undesirables, full of false promise: the parts of R- and G- are played by Rumsas and Gilberto, and
> then there's Team Coast, and a host of French extras. It is a true tragedy, in that Learblanc
> realizes his mistake but far too late to make things right.
>
> Petacchi plays the part of Edgar, the good son; though victorious over his rivals, he departs in
> the end, leaving bit players to take the green jersey and win the sprint on the Champs-Elysees.
>
> Ben
>
> P.S. Oh yeah, Christophe Moreau is the Fool. He just is.

He's the Fool because they didn't write a part in any of those plays for
the Asshole. By the way, does this mean Dickie V. gets the part of the Moor?

--
tanx, Howard

"Food plus heat equals cooking"
Alton Brown

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

[email protected] (Sonarrat) wrote in message

> and results depend on preparation - slash "preparation" - more than anything else.
>
> -Sonarrat.

don't forget, "good sensations".

IMHO the only person to come close to The Cannibal in recent years is the Patron himself, yes the
one and only Bernard "Le Blaireau" Hinault. A real character, ready to fight, ride through
blizzards, attack until the field was destroyed...and remember Hinault like Merckx before him didn't
have the benefit of a comm link to get up to the second information to help him.

Indurain was a huge talent, but not the sharpest knife in the block in terms of tactics. Lemond's
'accident' put pay to him becoming a true great, and what of Armstrong? Talented, but not a
natural...if only Ullrich had a decent coach and hadn't joined the Coast/Bianchi no-hope squad.
Still I fancy he will put a stop to Armstrong this year...if Lance doesn't invent some injury to
prevent him not putting his reputation on the line for number
6.

Flame away.

Trevor.

"Trevor Tinsley" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<0yK0c.4035$X%[email protected]>...

> IMHO the only person to come close to The Cannibal in recent years is the Patron himself, yes the
> one and only Bernard "Le Blaireau" Hinault. A real character, ready to fight, ride through
> blizzards, attack until the field was destroyed...and remember Hinault like Merckx before him
> didn't have the benefit of a comm link to get up to the second information to help him.
>
> Indurain was a huge talent, but not the sharpest knife in the block in terms of tactics. Lemond's
> 'accident' put pay to him becoming a true great, and what of Armstrong? Talented, but not a
> natural...if only Ullrich had a decent coach and hadn't joined the Coast/Bianchi no-hope squad.
> Still I fancy he will put a stop to Armstrong this year...if Lance doesn't invent some injury to
> prevent him not putting his reputation on the line for number
> 6.
>
> Flame away.

Not at all, except that this is familiar ground. I think Laurent Jalabert also acquitted himself
extremely well, even though he didn't make a regular habit of taking GC prizes. And some people were
saying that Tyler Hamilton's win in Bayonne was something in the style of an Eddy Merckx. So was the
pre-cancer Lance, though the way he carried himself - look at his finishing gesture, all tilted and
splayed forward, when he won the World's in '93 - was singularly unrefined and immature.

The list of men considered to have great potential, who have yet to
use it in the best possible way, would take me all night to write out.
Fred Rodriguez pops to mind most prominently. So does David Millar.

My point, having said all that, is that 2004 will be the best year in some time...

-Sonarrat.