Cipo the climber

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by psycholist, Apr 24, 2004.

  1. psycholist

    psycholist Guest

    Johan Bruyneel described today's Tour de Georgia finish on Brasstown as
    "freakishly steep" and compared it to the Angliru (sp?).

    Mario actually finished this hellish stage. He was something like 16
    minutes down on the winner, but he finished.

    I hear there are some early mountains in the Giro this year and if he wants
    to strut his stuff in the sprint stages, he has to get there first.

    Bob C.

    Tags:

  2. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "psycholist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Johan Bruyneel described today's Tour de Georgia finish on Brasstown as
    > "freakishly steep" and compared it to the Angliru (sp?).
    >
    > Mario actually finished this hellish stage. He was something like 16
    > minutes down on the winner, but he finished.
    >
    > I hear there are some early mountains in the Giro this year and if he

    wants
    > to strut his stuff in the sprint stages, he has to get there first.

    Here's a test: How many Giros has Cipollini ridden in and how many has he
    finished?

  3. "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "psycholist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Johan Bruyneel described today's Tour de Georgia finish on Brasstown as
    > > "freakishly steep" and compared it to the Angliru (sp?).
    > >
    > > Mario actually finished this hellish stage. He was something like 16
    > > minutes down on the winner, but he finished.
    > >
    > > I hear there are some early mountains in the Giro this year and if he

    > wants
    > > to strut his stuff in the sprint stages, he has to get there first.

    > Here's a test: How many Giros has Cipollini ridden in and how many has he
    > finished?

    Since he's won the final stage of the Giro five times, I'd say he's finished
    at least that many.

  4. psycholist wrote:

    > Johan Bruyneel described today's Tour de Georgia finish on Brasstown as
    > "freakishly steep" and compared it to the Angliru (sp?).
    >
    > Mario actually finished this hellish stage. He was something like 16
    > minutes down on the winner, but he finished.
    >
    > I hear there are some early mountains in the Giro this year and if he wants
    > to strut his stuff in the sprint stages, he has to get there first.
    >
    > Bob C.

    You hear right. The third stage features a mountain top finish. If
    Cipo wants a shot at more than one stage for a sprint victory, he's
    going to need some climbing legs. Good practice for him and considering
    he's made it this far _and_ could challenge for Sunday's stage victory,
    Cipo is showing some grit.

  5. Sonarrat

    Sonarrat Guest

    in article [email protected], Tom Kunich
    at [email protected] wrote on 4/24/04 8:02 PM:

    > "psycholist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Johan Bruyneel described today's Tour de Georgia finish on Brasstown as
    >> "freakishly steep" and compared it to the Angliru (sp?).
    >>
    >> Mario actually finished this hellish stage. He was something like 16
    >> minutes down on the winner, but he finished.
    >>
    >> I hear there are some early mountains in the Giro this year and if he

    > wants
    >> to strut his stuff in the sprint stages, he has to get there first.

    > Here's a test: How many Giros has Cipollini ridden in and how many has he
    > finished?

    He has raced in 13 since 1989 (when he won a stage) and finished 7 - 1991,
    1992, 1996, 1997, 1999, 2001, 2002. And in all of those, he won at least
    one of the last few stages.

    -Sonarrat.

  6. Dick Durbin

    Dick Durbin Guest

    "psycholist" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Johan Bruyneel described today's Tour de Georgia finish on Brasstown as
    > "freakishly steep" and compared it to the Angliru (sp?).
    >
    > Mario actually finished this hellish stage. He was something like 16
    > minutes down on the winner, but he finished.

    Well, Mario wasn't doing much climbing up Brasstown Bald. When he
    passed us there were three guys pushing him and Mario was grinning
    like a mule eating briars.

    Dick Durbin

  7. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "Sonarrat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:BCB094D2.3325%[email protected]
    > in article [email protected], Tom

    Kunich
    > at [email protected] wrote on 4/24/04 8:02 PM:
    >
    > > "psycholist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > >> Johan Bruyneel described today's Tour de Georgia finish on Brasstown as
    > >> "freakishly steep" and compared it to the Angliru (sp?).
    > >>
    > >> Mario actually finished this hellish stage. He was something like 16
    > >> minutes down on the winner, but he finished.
    > >>
    > >> I hear there are some early mountains in the Giro this year and if he

    > > wants
    > >> to strut his stuff in the sprint stages, he has to get there first.

    > > Here's a test: How many Giros has Cipollini ridden in and how many has

    he
    > > finished?

    > He has raced in 13 since 1989 (when he won a stage) and finished 7 - 1991,
    > 1992, 1996, 1997, 1999, 2001, 2002. And in all of those, he won at least
    > one of the last few stages.

    OK, another test - do they have any testing climbs in the Giro?

    Here's the point, Cipo may not be a climber compared to Roberto Haras but
    some butt-head like psycholist couldn't possibly stay on the same slope with
    him.

  8. Troy Thiel

    Troy Thiel Guest

    [email protected] (Dick Durbin) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "psycholist" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Johan Bruyneel described today's Tour de Georgia finish on Brasstown as
    > > "freakishly steep" and compared it to the Angliru (sp?).
    > >
    > > Mario actually finished this hellish stage. He was something like 16
    > > minutes down on the winner, but he finished.

    > Well, Mario wasn't doing much climbing up Brasstown Bald. When he
    > passed us there were three guys pushing him and Mario was grinning
    > like a mule eating briars.
    >
    > Dick Durbin

    Dick,

    Wasn't that a fantastic race to watch? I loved the sound of the
    request to "push" coming from the Italians...I've got a photo of 5
    guys pushing Cippo with that big grin on his face. What a great race
    the Tour de Georgia's been.

  9. Troy Thiel wrote:

    > [email protected] (Dick Durbin) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >>"psycholist" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >>
    >>>Johan Bruyneel described today's Tour de Georgia finish on Brasstown as
    >>>"freakishly steep" and compared it to the Angliru (sp?).
    >>>
    >>>Mario actually finished this hellish stage. He was something like 16
    >>>minutes down on the winner, but he finished.

    >>Well, Mario wasn't doing much climbing up Brasstown Bald. When he
    >>passed us there were three guys pushing him and Mario was grinning
    >>like a mule eating briars.
    >>
    >>Dick Durbin

    > Dick,
    >
    > Wasn't that a fantastic race to watch? I loved the sound of the
    > request to "push" coming from the Italians...I've got a photo of 5
    > guys pushing Cippo with that big grin on his face. What a great race
    > the Tour de Georgia's been.

    Care to post it? :)

  10. Pete Jenior

    Pete Jenior Guest

    "Dick Durbin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "psycholist" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Johan Bruyneel described today's Tour de Georgia finish on Brasstown as
    > > "freakishly steep" and compared it to the Angliru (sp?).
    > >
    > > Mario actually finished this hellish stage. He was something like 16
    > > minutes down on the winner, but he finished.

    > Well, Mario wasn't doing much climbing up Brasstown Bald. When he
    > passed us there were three guys pushing him and Mario was grinning
    > like a mule eating briars.

    I was about 1.5 miles up the climb and I saw the same thing, except it was
    like 5 guys...
    -Pete

  11. "Richard Adams" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Troy Thiel wrote:
    >
    > > [email protected] (Dick Durbin) wrote in message

    news:<[email protected]>...

    > >>"psycholist" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    news:<[email protected]>...

    > >>Well, Mario wasn't doing much climbing up Brasstown Bald. When he
    > >>passed us there were three guys pushing him and Mario was grinning
    > >>like a mule eating briars.
    > >>
    > >>Dick Durbin

    > > Dick,
    > >
    > > Wasn't that a fantastic race to watch? I loved the sound of the
    > > request to "push" coming from the Italians...I've got a photo of 5
    > > guys pushing Cippo with that big grin on his face. What a great race
    > > the Tour de Georgia's been.

    > Care to post it? :)

    Yep, he was getting pushed right up the mountain at Brasstown, grinning with
    one hand on the bars and giving the thumbs up with the other! All the while
    everyone around him was dying and begging for pushes. Even better, here's a
    video from Hogpen Gap, shot by a guy from my club. Nice of him to lend his
    wife to the cause! http://www.thetalentfarm.com/Hogpen Cippo.rm

  12. brian roth

    brian roth Guest

    "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<hTFic.11023$

    > Here's a test: How many Giros has Cipollini ridden in and how many has he
    > finished?

    Every Giro since 1989 except 1993 (tour prep) and 1994 (bad veulta crash).
    He as never failed to win a stage in any Giro. Has won stages in every
    TdF ridden except the first.

  13. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Steve Blankenship" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Richard Adams" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Troy Thiel wrote:
    > >
    > > > [email protected] (Dick Durbin) wrote in message

    > news:<[email protected]>...

    > news:<[email protected]>...

    > > > Dick,
    > > >
    > > > Wasn't that a fantastic race to watch? I loved the sound of the
    > > > request to "push" coming from the Italians...I've got a photo of 5
    > > > guys pushing Cippo with that big grin on his face. What a great race
    > > > the Tour de Georgia's been.

    > > Care to post it? :)

    > Yep, he was getting pushed right up the mountain at Brasstown, grinning with
    > one hand on the bars and giving the thumbs up with the other! All the while
    > everyone around him was dying and begging for pushes. Even better, here's a
    > video from Hogpen Gap, shot by a guy from my club. Nice of him to lend his
    > wife to the cause! http://www.thetalentfarm.com/Hogpen Cippo.rm

    Turn the tables now. Even though Gord may have beat Cipo today, do you think ANY women in Europe
    would wait on the side of the road to kiss Gord?....lol
    Dave

  14. On 04/25/2004 07:11 PM, in article [email protected],
    "Steve Blankenship" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Richard Adams" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Troy Thiel wrote:
    >>
    >>> [email protected] (Dick Durbin) wrote in message

    > news:<[email protected]>...

    > news:<[email protected]>...

    >>> Dick,
    >>>
    >>> Wasn't that a fantastic race to watch? I loved the sound of the
    >>> request to "push" coming from the Italians...I've got a photo of 5
    >>> guys pushing Cippo with that big grin on his face. What a great race
    >>> the Tour de Georgia's been.

    >> Care to post it? :)

    > Yep, he was getting pushed right up the mountain at Brasstown, grinning with
    > one hand on the bars and giving the thumbs up with the other! All the while
    > everyone around him was dying and begging for pushes. Even better, here's a
    > video from Hogpen Gap, shot by a guy from my club. Nice of him to lend his
    > wife to the cause! http://www.thetalentfarm.com/Hogpen Cippo.rm

    CLASSIC!!!!!

    --
    Steven L. Sheffield
    stevens at veloworks dot com

  15. Steve Blankenship wrote:
    > "Richard Adams" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>Troy Thiel wrote:
    >>

    >>>[email protected] (Dick Durbin) wrote in message

    > news:<[email protected]>...

    > news:<[email protected]>...

    >>>Dick,
    >>>
    >>>Wasn't that a fantastic race to watch? I loved the sound of the
    >>>request to "push" coming from the Italians...I've got a photo of 5
    >>>guys pushing Cippo with that big grin on his face. What a great race
    >>>the Tour de Georgia's been.

    >>Care to post it? :)

    > Yep, he was getting pushed right up the mountain at Brasstown, grinning with
    > one hand on the bars and giving the thumbs up with the other! All the while
    > everyone around him was dying and begging for pushes. Even better, here's a
    > video from Hogpen Gap, shot by a guy from my club. Nice of him to lend his
    > wife to the cause! http://www.thetalentfarm.com/Hogpen Cippo.rm

    Man! That's awesome! Any chance of a less compressed copy?

  16. Gerr

    Gerr Guest

    That was cool. Thanks

  17. Gerr

    Gerr Guest

    We mules pushed every nationality of racer on "The Vertical". Several
    didn't speak english, but all knew at least one word; push !!!!
    Someone would push a guy up to a ref who would make him stop; then
    another would take up the challenge right past the ref.
    There were so many psycho fans pushing Cipo they were falling over
    themselves.

  18. On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 21:11:19 -0400, Steve Blankenship wrote:
    > video from Hogpen Gap, shot by a guy from my club. Nice of him to lend his
    > wife to the cause! http://www.thetalentfarm.com/Hogpen Cippo.rm

    Great, but please tell him it's Cipo, not Cippo.

  19. "Ewoud Dronkert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 21:11:19 -0400, Steve Blankenship wrote:
    > > video from Hogpen Gap, shot by a guy from my club. Nice of him to lend

    his
    > > wife to the cause! http://www.thetalentfarm.com/Hogpen Cippo.rm

    > Great, but please tell him it's Cipo, not Cippo.

    Well, if seeing it painted on the road 1,000 times didn't do it, I doubt I

  20. Chris

    Chris Guest

    > On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 21:11:19 -0400, Steve Blankenship wrote:
    > > video from Hogpen Gap, shot by a guy from my club. Nice of him to lend

    his
    > > wife to the cause! http://www.thetalentfarm.com/Hogpen Cippo.rm

    > Great, but please tell him it's Cipo, not Cippo.

    Sounds really strange with an American accent, doesn't it? It sounded like
    "Chip-o" as in "fish and chips" to me.