Cipo to do more racing?

Bro Deal

Jun 26, 2006
I figured that Cipo would do the ToC and a few american races as a publicity stunt for Rock Racing, but cyclingnews has the item below today. It looks like Cipo will be doing some european races.
Rock Racing's signing of sprinter Mario Cipollini has paid off. The team has received an invitation to the Driedaagse van West-Vlaanderen (March 7-9). "It's a fine offer and a sign of respect," Cipollini said, according to sportwereld.be, but he wanted more. "Certainly very worthy. But can't you ask someone if they don't want me in Gent-Wevelgem? I would really like to ride there one more time." He has won the race three times, most lately in 2002.

I like the guy. He adds some style to cycling and we are missing that at the moment .

Frigo's Luggage said:
Some guys love the bike at the end of their careers. Some never ride again. I like Cipo.
I still remember the first time I really took notice of him was in the early season sometime in the early 90's when I read a quote from him: "Not only am I the fastest man in the world, but I am also the most beautiful." (I cannot remember the exact words, but that has all of the elements.) I read that and thought, "now there is a guy I gotta like." Cycling really doesn't have a rock star like that now. Pozatto maybe, but nobody can match his charisma.

I remember seeing him on Brasstown Bald the year he rode the TdG, and he was really playing the crowd, and asking everyone to push him, etc. He is a great showman, which is missing from AleJet and Boonen. I am glad to see him riding again.

thoughtforfood said:
I still remember the first time I really took notice of him was in the early season sometime in the early 90's when I read a quote from him: "Not only am I the fastest man in the world, but I am also the most beautiful." (I cannot remember the exact words, but that has all of the elements.) I read that and thought, "now there is a guy I gotta like." Cycling really doesn't have a rock star like that now. Pozatto maybe, but nobody can match his charisma.

I remember seeing him on Brasstown Bald the year he rode the TdG, and he was really playing the crowd, and asking everyone to push him, etc. He is a great showman, which is missing from AleJet and Boonen. I am glad to see him riding again.
Cavendish is trying to play the role, but he isn't Italian, so he will always be missing something.

The legend about the guy is incredible. Like the rule that you can't use mobile phones during the race because he was taking calls in the bunch...the fact that he got a speeding ticket doing 100 k/ph while motor pacing on an Italian highway...or the hard to believe rumor that he once got laid during a race.

thoughtforfood said:
... Cycling really doesn't have a rock star like that now. Pozatto maybe, but nobody can match his charisma.
Pozzato was one of Armstrong's biggest cheerleaders after he went after Simeoni. He's the kind of rock star cycling doesn't need.

Crankyfeet said:
Let's just cut to the chase. Cipo is the guy that all guys want to be.
nope, big horse face, no thanks.

the women who sleep with him are not my ideal for a partner, and the "promotional models" that go to TOC and Interbike tend to be the bottle blonde, with silicone chests. you can take the artificial variety.

Cipo stacks up on the bike. But not off it. That performance in the boonen sprint was nothing short of amazing.

Crankyfeet said:
Let's just cut to the chase. Cipo is the guy that all guys want to be.
YOWZA!
Cipollini.jpg