Cipolini frames cracks

poor service

May 26, 2013
Has anyone else had a cracked cipolini frame. It happened a year after purchase and the after sale service is pathetic. Over 5 months for the frame to be returned. No hurry from the importer or manufacturer.

I don't think you'll find many people at all who've seen a Cipolini frame in person, let alone anyone who owns or has owned one.

Originally Posted by poor service .

Has anyone else had a cracked cipolini frame. It happened a year after purchase and the after sale service is pathetic. Over 5 months for the frame to be returned. No hurry from the importer or manufacturer.
Just keep annoying the place you brought it from, they'll get the message eventually.

steve said:
Just keep annoying the place you brought it from, they'll get the message eventually.
Yup. That's the key with any slow service from any company. Note that you need to keep your cool. If you blow up at them, things can go pear shaped pretty damned quickly. I don't know whether you dealt with the importer or the company, but there certainly are some less than helpful importers out there. Which importer were you dealing with?

the bike shops has been at logger heads with the importer. The deal was a 4 week turn around repair and repaint from Italy or new frame. A further 2 months later, the frame finally arrived only for the bike shop to find BB30 sleeve was removed and is still in Italy. The manufacturer has made excuse after excuse. The importer didnt respond to further emails after I advised him of how poor the after market service was for a high end bike. Yesterday , I received and apology finally!! The bike shop owner is rebuilding this week as soon as the sleeve is received.
My advice- stick with common bikes not sure is the warranties are any better ( this is the first one I have had after 30 years and a dozen road bikes later ) but may be with more available stock , replacment would be quicker.

"My advice- stick with common bikes..."

Good advice.

My advice is to buy cheap, throwaway carbon frames. On sale. With free shipping. And still get a 3-year warranty.

From Mario's website, complete with semi-nude pic of Super Mario, himself...pointing like God in a Michelangelo painting on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel...oy!: Mario sez...

"We go against the tide
We don’t give verbal responses,
[COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]we don’t blow ‘hot air’ [/COLOR]speaking vaguely
about ‘Made in Italy’."

Yeah...yeah...yeah. Luigi drank a bottle of vino over his two-hour lunch and came back to apply three layers of high modulus 70-ton uni-directional Toraya carbon patches to the bottom bracket...or was that seven layers of 30-ton, non-directional...Luigi get so confused after lunch!

I applaud Mario for manufacturing in Italy, especially Kotor Vanos, Bosnia. The latest province of Italy! Just kidding, it's a small step in the manufacturing process and Bosniaks work cheap.

I hope Mario and company get your bike repaired quickly, OP. The Cipollini bikes 'look' pretty darned nice.

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB .

Yeah...yeah...yeah. Luigi drank a bottle of vino over his two-hour lunch and came back to apply three layers of high modulus 70-ton uni-directional Toraya carbon patches to the bottom bracket...or was that seven layers of 30-ton, non-directional...Luigi get so confused after lunch!
"I'll make it nice and sticky!!!" /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB .

I hope Mario and company get your bike repaired quickly, OP. The Cipollini bikes 'look' pretty darned nice.

Everything looks nice if its "artistic"... /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif Nice looking "designed" stuff are pretty rare though... /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

Volnix said:
Everything looks nice if its "artistic"...   Nice looking "designed" stuff are pretty rare though... 
Total ****. Most bikes today are well designed bikes. In fact it's the rare bike that is a turd. Cipolini bikes could also be excellent bikes. The OP's experience is only 1. A sample set of 1 has almost no statistical value. In fact it's virtually statistically insignificant. All bikes can have issues as no manufacturing process is perfect. Given we know nothing about how the damage happened, it's stupid to make any value judgement about Cipolini bikes.

"Cipolini bikes could also be excellent bikes."

Who cares if they come with free hookers & blow if it takes them five months to give a guy another ride or repair their screwup?

"Everything looks nice if its "artistic"...
biggrin.gif
"

Didn't you see that artsy-fartsy website? The swear they're not blowing smoke up yer ass!

Mario will personally race the plans you need to repair your bike right to your front door! (in five months or so).

Support is so serious, MC dedicates this artsy web page to it! Yes, it's THAT serious! (psssst! the moto is carrying spare parts to keep Mario rolling!)

TREKs fall apart, too. But at least my local dealer will get you a new frame or bike in a couple of weeks. Not five months. The TREK rep don't have no semi-nude pics on the web and made-in-China don't have the same bling zing as seeing a team of neon yellow Eyetalian Stallions screaming up da Dolomites on a .it webpage, but hey....we all got crosses to bear.

Me? I think the OP gave out some good advice after his "sample size of one". Unless you have months of your life to devote to getting something as simple as a bike frame fixed/replaced and have a couple of spare bikes ready to roll (Two is one and one is none)...best sticking with the easily replaced, good customer service and/or the inexpensive.

Oh well...at least for five months you can scope out Super Mario's...er...art!

I would break her like a low-modulus carbon frame!

Quote: Originally Posted by alienator .

Total ****.

Most bikes today are well designed bikes. In fact it's the rare bike that is a turd. Cipolini bikes could also be excellent bikes. The OP's experience is only 1. A sample set of 1 has almost no statistical value. In fact it's virtually statistically insignificant. All bikes can have issues as no manufacturing process is perfect. Given we know nothing about how the damage happened, it's stupid to make any value judgement about Cipolini bikes.
Actually sometimes I think of writing with a different nickname to see if I get the same style posts from you alien... I bet you reply like that because I am Italian and black! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/mad.gif Oh wait, I am not Italian or black...

Quote: Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB .

Didn't you see that artsy-fartsy website? The swear they're not blowing smoke up yer ass!

Oh well...at least for five months you can scope out Super Mario's...er...art!

I would break her like a low-modulus carbon frame!

I saw the whole video actually. Who is she? /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif Is she staying in this hotel? /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

Volnix said:
Actually sometimes I think of writing with a different nickname to see if I get the same style posts from you alien... I bet you reply like that because I am Italian and black! :mad:  Oh wait, I am not Italian or black...
Actually I responded like that because, as already stated, what you said was absolute **** devoid of factual support.

the manufacturer has admitted it was a constructions fault. There was no incident to cause the crack. The totally accepted that it was their fault. My grief is the delay in repairing / replacing the bike. I think its a small sample only because nobody else has them. also there is some discussion in other forum they could be actually be made in China! but who really knows

poor service said:
the manufacturer has admitted it was a constructions fault. There was no incident to cause the crack. The totally accepted that it was their fault. My grief is the delay in repairing / replacing the bike.  I think its a small sample only because nobody else has them. also there is some discussion in other forum they could be actually be made in China! but who really knows
So what if they're made in China? That doesn't tell you anything about the quality of construction. There's nothing inherently better about Italian made, French made, UK made, US made, or *** made frames.

Originally Posted by alienator .

Actually I responded like that because, as already stated, what you said was absolute **** devoid of factual support.
Just think of it... You will agree that I am right! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

"also there is some discussion in other forum they could be actually be made in China!"

I hope their website isn't blowing smoke up our asses!

They seem to pride themselves, to the point of providing a map of their supply chain, on being as close to 100% Italian-manufactured as possible. Of course, if I had to guess, I would think Mario did a ton of PED's to score a lot of his 198 wins.

Like you said...who knows?

I hope your repaired frame rides well and serves you for a long time. If you have pictures of the damaged area prior and post repair I would like to see them.

No photos. But at the bike shop while they've just discovered its not the original frame. All the cable guides were left out the frame also!!! Poor service!!! The bike shop owner had to hand file ones from another frame

bike shop rebuilding the bike discovered the frame sent was not the original and cable guides etc were all missing!! no quality control in Italy!!! . The bike shop owner spents hours hand making ones to fit until new ones are sent. Cippo owes this guy big compensation!!!!

"no quality control in Italy!!!"

It's difficult to find decent Q.C. anywhere, anymore.

You're probably better off with a new frame, but no cable guides? WTH?