Cipollini to 'new' Liquigas team

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Powerful Pete, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

News is out here in Italy. He will be in the new Liquigas pro tour team, along with Cioni, Garzelli and Di Luca, amongst others. :)

Tags:

2. li0scc0

li0scc0 New Member

Great to hear, should be a solid team. Here's to Cipo getting at least one nice win in '05 so he can retire on a winning note!

3. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

Hhhhm, gotta see. Sounds like the team will be much less Cipollini oriented and he will have to work harder in the sprints... I am very curious!

Cioni, Garzelli and Di Luca will not just sit around and pull the group at 60kph for the last 50 km to ensure that no one gets in a break! :rolleyes:

4. donhix1

donhix1 New Member

I loved to watch Cipo in 2002, but now that Alesandro is around there is a new Italian sprinting King.
    His Giro record will probably stay for a long, long time and he has had a fantastic career. If he didn't have a spat with the Tour, he would have won quite a few more Tour stages. I guess they took offense to him not finishing.
    Don't take me as anti Mario, I just don't want to see him get beat by lesser riders who wouldn't have stood a chance three years ago.

5. iknowtest

iknowtest New Member

Alesandro is a great sprinter - but Mario has a style and personality that make him great entertainment.

6. artmichalek

artmichalek New Member

I agree. There's not a single other pro rider out there that can get away with showing up for a race wearing a toga and being pulled in a charriot by his team mates.

7. li0scc0

li0scc0 New Member

I would like to see Alessandro win Ghent Wevelgem multiple times, and a world championship. He is the best right now at a pure sprint finish, but Cipo demonstrated he could win even without a team.

8. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

Fair enough. But something tells me Ale-Jet will be working a bit more on his distance riding to ensure that he does not screw up another Milano Sanremo and/or Paris Tours... Should be another exciting year!

9. donhix1

donhix1 New Member

It is unlikely that Alessandro will have the career that Mario did. Mario's Giro win total is very remarkable. Mario was dominate at a younger age and I doubt Alessandro will have the staying power in the mid 30's. I am just saying that at this point in time Alessandro is a better sprinter.

10. Virenque

Virenque New Member

Solid team, but not for Mario! He needs train, he had whole team for himself all last seasons and I`m very skeptical about his 2005 results..

11. matt1

matt1 New Member

My friend Peter Dawson has signed as neo for this team. He is a three time world champion in the teams pursuit and an olympic gold medalist in Athens. (they finaly gave him a medal as he rode the heats byt not the final.)

He is excited to be riding with cipo and Diluca