cipollini

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Wafflycathcsdir, Feb 21, 2003.

  1. See http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_753201.html

    "Cipollini caught speeding on bike

    Current world cycling champion Mario Cipollini has been caught speeding on his bike while training.

    Cipollini was stopped by police in Italy as he reached a speed of almost 60mph on a motorway.

    He was training with team-mate Mario Scirea in Livorno when he was stopped.

    Eurosportquotes the Italian newspaper Gazzetta dello Sport saying Cipollini and Scirea were fined
    about £40 each.

    Cycling is banned on the stretch of road where the pair were spotted.

    Story filed: 13:26 Friday 21st February 2003"

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    > See http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_753201.html

    > "Cipollini caught speeding on bike
    [...]
    > Cycling is banned on the stretch of road where the pair were spotted.

    So he wasn't actually caught speeding at all, he was caught using a road prohibited to cyclist. I
    guess that doesn't make a snappy headline for Ananova.

    Thanks for the story though. Anyone know the stretch of motorway? Was it downhill?

    I bet he was only caught because he had to pull out to the outside line to overtake one of those
    urban drivers who sits in the middle lane.

    Colin

  3. Am 21 Feb 2003 14:52:57 GMT schrieb [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter):

    >See http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_753201.html
    >
    >"Cipollini caught speeding on bike=20
    >
    >Current world cycling champion Mario Cipollini has been caught speeding =
    on his
    >bike while training.
    >
    >Cipollini was stopped by police in Italy as he reached a speed of almost=
    60mph
    >on a motorway.

    Was he above the speedlimit?

    >Cycling is banned on the stretch of road where the pair were spotted.

    So he wasn't fined for speeding but for using the motorway. Which would have been a much less
    'interesting' headline.

    Hans --=20 Hans Friedlaender <http://hans.friedlaender.org> Schw=E4bisch f=FCr Amerikaner (oder
    Amerikanisch f=FCr Schwaben): PHONE LM ABBYSS (aus alt.aeffle.und.pferdle)

  4. On 21 Feb 2003 14:52:57 GMT, wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter wrote:
    >See http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_753201.html "Cipollini caught speeding on bike

    but then

    >Cycling is banned on the stretch of road where the pair were spotted.

    Exactly, they were on a "superstrada" (motorway), so the ticket was not for speeding. Too bad for
    the story! See also http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/?id=2003/feb03/feb20news2 (according to a post
    in rbr from a local Italian, the speed limit there is not 110 kmh but 90 kmh, but they were just
    below that even).

  5. Colin Blackburn wrote:
    > Thanks for the story though. Anyone know the stretch of motorway? Was it downhill?

    Livorno is next to the sea and pretty flat. I was there last year. Difficult to imagine he was
    really on a motorway - they're all toll-roads. I would welcome further information, just out of
    curiosity.
    --
    Michael MacClancy

  6. Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
    > Exactly, they were on a "superstrada" (motorway), so the ticket was not for speeding.

    A superstrada is more of a dual carriageway than a proper motorway (autostrada). There are no tolls.
    --
    Michael MacClancy

  7. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    > >Cycling is banned on the stretch of road where the pair were spotted.
    >
    > So he wasn't fined for speeding but for using the motorway. Which would have been a much less
    > 'interesting' headline.

    Eurosport's headline is: 'Long arm of the law flags down Cipo'

    Colin

  8. On Fri, 21 Feb 2003 15:25:12 -0000, Michael MacClancy wrote:
    >I would welcome further information, just out of curiosity.

    Subj: Mario gets speedingticket Auth: Sergio SERVADIO Grp: rec.bicycles.racing

    He was riding on Superstrada Firenze-Pisa-Livorno where no bikes are allowed. The speed limit there
    is 90 km/h and it is usually exceeded with the consent of the Police. He was escorted out of the
    Superstrada only because he should no have been there.

    Myself, for other purposes in fact, I have ridden on Superstrada Siena-Firenze and on the Autostrada
    down into Splugen, CH. Luckily I was not caught!

    Sergio Pisa

  9. On Fri, 21 Feb 2003 15:34:14 -0000, Michael MacClancy wrote:
    >A superstrada is more of a dual carriageway than a proper motorway (autostrada). There are
    >no tolls.

    Oh OK. I thought it was the other way around because of the "super".

  10. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    > Exactly, they were on a "superstrada" (motorway), so the ticket was not for speeding. Too bad for
    > the story! See also http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/?id=2003/feb03/feb20news2 (according to a post
    > in rbr from a local Italian, the speed limit there is not 110 kmh but 90 kmh, but they were just
    > below that even).

    I am amazed that they were drafting a Smart car, can one of those things get to 60mph?

    Even though this article recognises that the pair weren't speeding, amongst a fair bit of cliched
    prose, it still slips back into it being a speeding offence by the last paragraph:

    "This isn't the first time that Cipo has almost been busted for speeding on his bike; at last years
    Ghent-Wevelgem, he tripped the radar cameras at over 50km/h in the centre of Ostend, Belgium."

    Colin

  11. Dan Gregory

    Dan Gregory Guest

    It was a four lane superstrada - only vehicles capable of doing 90kph are allowed to used. Cippo &
    his partner were clocked at just over 70kph! All the best Dan "Ewoud Dronkert" <[email protected]>
    > On Fri, 21 Feb 2003 15:34:14 -0000, Michael MacClancy wrote:
    > >A superstrada is more of a dual carriageway than a proper motorway (autostrada). There are
    > >no tolls.
    >
    > Oh OK. I thought it was the other way around because of the "super".

  12. M Series

    M Series Guest

    Hang on a minute, the OP said Mario was doing almost 60mph, now it seems he was doing 70kph (~42mph)
    and the article is about him being somewhere he shouldn't have been, not about his speed. People
    like that give ALL cyclists the bad reputation that we have, no space for double standards here. :)

    "Dan Gregory" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > It was a four lane superstrada - only vehicles capable of doing 90kph are allowed to used. Cippo &
    > his partner were clocked at just over 70kph! All the best Dan "Ewoud Dronkert"
    > <[email protected]> wrote in message news:d5ic5vk9es2vkj93er312h3[email protected]...
    > > On Fri, 21 Feb 2003 15:34:14 -0000, Michael MacClancy wrote:
    > > >A superstrada is more of a dual carriageway than a proper motorway (autostrada). There are no
    > > >tolls.
    > >
    > > Oh OK. I thought it was the other way around because of the "super".

  13. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter wrote:
    > Cipollini was stopped by police in Italy as he reached a speed of almost 60mph on a motorway.

    Top bloke! That's Bib Power for you.

    ~PB

  14. >Top bloke! That's Bib Power for you.

    >~PB

    And note how the paving slab fairy worked her magic on the police. After all, Mr Cipollini regards
    himself as something of an idol, so I couldn't use the paving slabs on this occasion ;-)

    Cheers and a twirl of my tutu The Paving Slab Fairy

  15. In news:[email protected], M Series <[email protected]> typed:

    > somewhere he shouldn't have been, not about his speed. People like that give ALL cyclists the bad
    > reputation that we have, no space for double standards here. :)

    But these are of course professional (i.e motivated by £/$/€) sportsmen, rather than your average
    cyclist. In all sports it seems that the laws of the land are secondary to winning the race / match.

    Alex