CIPPO RETIRES!!! (again)

Tifosifm

Dec 15, 2004
Access to newswires - here's more copy:

Italian sprinter Mario Cipollini has announced what could be his real retirement from cycling on Tuesday a fortnight before the start of the Giro d'Italia.
The 38-year old, whose 42 stage wins in the Giro is a record, retired two years ago before making a comeback.
However the flamboyant Italian who has come to be known as the Lion King for his flowing mane of blond hair - which is now much shorter - appears to be serious this time.
"Announcing my withdrawal one week before the Giro d'Italia is a painful but honest decision. The public will understand," said Cipollini in a statement released by his team, Liquigas.
Cipollini's former success has in recent seasons been tempered by the sprinting power of Australian Robbie McEwen, Italian Alessandro Petacchi and three-time world champion Oscar Freire of Spain.
And he admitted that he had finally decided to hang up his bike after 17 seasons as a professional and 189 victories.
"I would have liked to be at the start of the Giro d'Italia in Reggio Calabria looking for victory again, fighting for the pink jersey.
"Maybe, an "old man" like me, who has given a lot to cycling and has also received a lot, has to recognise when is the right moment to stop.
"I thank the Liquigas-Bianchi team, who put their confidence in me. I am honoured to have ended my career as a rider wearing the jersey of such a great team."

It seems that now it`s for sure! But it`s hard to understand why before Giro!:confused:

Virenque said:
It seems that now it`s for sure! But it`s hard to understand why before Giro!:confused:
I'm sure Flyer will have a conjecture! Sad to see him go, he brought such character and elan to the peloton. Isn't there a story about him stopping his entourage on a training ride to pick up a pair of leather shoes? :) I guess this Giro will be the same old McEwen / Pettachi show. *Yawn*

Catabolic Jones said:
I'm sure Flyer will have a conjecture! Sad to see him go, he brought such character and elan to the peloton. Isn't there a story about him stopping his entourage on a training ride to pick up a pair of leather shoes? :) I guess this Giro will be the same old McEwen / Pettachi show. *Yawn*

Ahh I imagine it has more to do with the fact that he is just an old dog and he needs to move out of the way for the other young stars on the team. Can you imagine how bad it would look for everyone to have all LB riders trying to lead Super Mario out for the sprint and then have him fall on his face, especially considering the talent on team that is clearly superior to his (with his age I mean)??? Nah, he is a doper for sure.

Catabolic Jones said:

Or just the Pettachi show. :)

Cycling needs more characters like Super Mario. Its sad to see him go as i've never seen him race on TV. Hope he enjoys his retirement, topping up the tan and shopping in Milan.