Cities Turning to Bicycles

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 16:43:47 -0400, Frank Krygowski
<[email protected]> wrote:

>There cannot possibly be more than one person reading this who doesn't
>brake while turning!

True enough. Plenty who /try/ not to brake while turning, of course,
but anyone can get it wrong and go into the curve too fast.

And then you get that feeling of the front wheel going sideways and
think: "Ah yes, I remember this feeling, and what comes next is...
ouch!" ;-)

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Peter <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Nate Nagel wrote:
> > Frank Krygowski wrote:

> >> Yes, braking with the brakes, Brent. While in a curve. Every day.
> >> It's quite normal.
> >>

> > google for "friction circle" to see why that's a bad idea (yes, on a
> > bike too.)

> It's only a bad idea if you enter the turn at a speed where *all* of
> the available traction is used for cornering, i.e. too fast. But since
> many turns are entered before the driver can completely see the
> turning radius throughout the turn he should always leave sufficient
> margin so there is still traction available for braking in addition to
> cornering. Fortunately the mathematics of perpendicular vector addition
> help us out here. The equation of a circle is x^2 + y^2 = r^2 where we
> can use 'x' for the traction available for braking and 'y' for the
> traction available for cornering, and 'r', the resultant is the total
> available traction. Let's assume the total traction is 1. Then
> entering the turn so fast that cornering alone requires a traction of
> 1.0 would leave nothing available for braking. But entering even a
> little slower, say where cornering only requires a traction of 0.9 now
> allows us to use some braking up to a traction of sqrt(1-.9^2) = 0.44

I'm not going to check your math, but it sounds about right,
neglecting the fact that a typical friction circle for a car is more
of a friction oval-esque kind of thing (and generally can't be found
under acceleration, unless you have ridiculous amounts of power.)
However, on principle, I try to do all my braking before a corner at
least on the street as, what happens if I enter a corner at what I
think is 6/10 and it turns out to be 10/10 and I suddenly find that I
can't brake? (the exact situation Frank's been chastising me about
and claiming I'm unskilled for finding myself in.) What would have
happened had I followed Frank's recommendation to "slow down" once I
discovered the curve was tighter than I thought? What would have
happened if I'd entered the initial part of the curve "hot," planning
on trail braking to the apex?

Alternately, if I'm planning on trail braking into a corner, that
might leave me closer to the circle than I want to be on the street,
even if it's not a 10/10 corner...

I guess my point is that you are correct there is a time and place for
trail braking but generally I don't really see much need for it on the
street. I generally try to corner under very light power so I'm
holding a constant speed and have as big a cushion between my actual
state and the limits of the friction circle as possible at any given
time and speed. (obviously depending on the corner that might be
difficult on a bike unless you have short cranks, but you get the
idea)

nate

Nate Nagel <[email protected]> wrote:
> Frank Krygowski wrote:

> > If a vehicle is not undergoing extreme lateral acceleration, there is
> > plenty of friction available for braking as well as turning. And, as on
> > freeway exit ramps, I have sense to stay away from ten-tenths cornering
> > moves.

> But that's exactly what you were busting me on earlier - entering a
> corner at, say, 6/10 and suddenly discovering that I needed 10/10 or
> more - which can happen. You also suggested that I slow down in that
> situation, implying braking...

This doesn't seem to make sense to me.

If one is driving (or riding) reasonably well under one's limits (as one
should be doing in traffic on public roads) and paying attention (also as
one should be doing in traffic on public roads), then there aren't many
things that should "suddenly" push one over these limits. If something
as unextraordinary as a decrease in curve radius will push you over the
edge, then you are driving to close to it; if you are driving sufficiently
fast that you can't see what is ahead in time to react to it appropriately,
then you are driving too fast!

This isn't rocket science.

--
greg byshenk - [email protected] - Leiden, NL

Alan Baker <[email protected]> wrote:

> The huge mistake is for advisory limits to be set so inconsistently that
> one doesn't have an honest idea for what speeds can be used in such
> situations.

This is almost certainly true (and it is at least arguably true that
advisory speed limits are indeed seriously inconsistent), as is the
earlier comment that decreasing radius turns are to be avoided if
possible.

I would note, though, that such things have absolutely nothing to do
with speed humps or residential speed limits (or even speed limits on
urban surface arterials). I don't know if anyone is actually suggesting
that they do; I am justing noting the fact.

--
greg byshenk - [email protected] - Leiden, NL

In article <4b39d.135425$wV.11486@attbi_s54>,
Brent P <[email protected]> wrote:
>In article <[email protected]>, Frank Krygowski wrote:
>> Nate Nagel wrote:

>>> google for "friction circle" to see why that's a bad idea (yes, on a
>>> bike too.)

>> I don't need to google friction circles. I know all about them.
>>
>> It's interesting that Brent claimed _I_ was talking about racing, i.e.
>> limit of adhesion situations, now that you are using a term that really
>> pertains only to that situation.

>It was your quote about what a 'skilled bike racer' does. You are
>basically telling us we are wrong to apply racing techniques to
>driving on the public roads while at the same time chastising us for
>not doing so and prefering not to have to.

Hmm. Recap here. Frank thinks it is perfectly reasonable to

a) Post the exact same warning signs on a constant curve, and increasing
radius curve with the same entry radius as the constant curve.

b) Have the increasing radius of the curve be hidden to traffic
entering the curve

c) Excoriate drivers who enter the increasing radius curve in the
same way as the constant curve, and then have to use racing maneuvers
to avoid leaving the roadway

using as evidence

d) The "fact" that most drivers, even those unfamiliar with the road,
get through without such maneuvers and without leaving the roadway

even though

e) Barriers at the side of the roadway show many signs of impact, and
no data is available on the maneuvers most of those who DIDN'T hit had to take
to avoid doing so.

And he "thinks" he's being perfectly reasonable.

In article <[email protected]>,
Matthew Russotto <[email protected]> wrote:
>In article <4b39d.135425$wV.11486@attbi_s54>,
>Brent P <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> I don't need to google friction circles. I know all about them.
>>>
>>> It's interesting that Brent claimed _I_ was talking about racing, i.e.
>>> limit of adhesion situations, now that you are using a term that really
>>> pertains only to that situation.

>>It was your quote about what a 'skilled bike racer' does. You are
>>basically telling us we are wrong to apply racing techniques to
>>driving on the public roads while at the same time chastising us for
>>not doing so and prefering not to have to.

>Hmm. Recap here. Frank thinks it is perfectly reasonable to
>
>a) Post the exact same warning signs on a constant curve, and increasing
>radius curve with the same entry radius as the constant curve.
>
>b) Have the increasing radius of the curve be hidden to traffic
>entering the curve
>
>c) Excoriate drivers who enter the increasing radius curve in the
>same way as the constant curve, and then have to use racing maneuvers
>to avoid leaving the roadway

Ack. Substitute "decreasing" for "increasing" above. Everyone but
Frank knew what I meant, of course.

greg byshenk <[email protected]> wrote:

> Alan Baker <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > The huge mistake is for advisory limits to be set so inconsistently that
> > one doesn't have an honest idea for what speeds can be used in such
> > situations.

> This is almost certainly true (and it is at least arguably true that
> advisory speed limits are indeed seriously inconsistent), as is the
> earlier comment that decreasing radius turns are to be avoided if
> possible.
>
> I would note, though, that such things have absolutely nothing to do
> with speed humps or residential speed limits (or even speed limits on
> urban surface arterials). I don't know if anyone is actually suggesting
> that they do; I am justing noting the fact.

Actually, they have a lot to do with it.

In the same way that seriously underposted advisory limits lead people
to ignore them, seriously underposted legal limits lead people to ignore
them; even where they're appropriate, such as in residential
neighbourhoods.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia

Alan Baker wrote:
> In article <Dn19d.19776$n%[email protected]>,
> Wayne Pein <[email protected]> wrote:

>>>Why not have a constant radius turn of the same radius as your proposed
>>>decreasing radius ramp at its tightest? What would be the disadvantage?
>>>

>>Starting with a larger radius is more consistent with the high speed
>>entering the off ramp. As speed is lost, the turn can be tighter to
>>ensure just that.
>>
>>Wayne

> But you create a situation where driver's can't *see* (in many cases,
> anyway) the radius where it tightens.

That is why there is a sign warning of it.

Wayne

In article <jWg9d.19959$n%[email protected]>,
Wayne Pein <[email protected]> wrote:

> Alan Baker wrote:
> > In article <Dn19d.19776$n%[email protected]>,
> > Wayne Pein <[email protected]> wrote:

> >>Starting with a larger radius is more consistent with the high speed
> >>entering the off ramp. As speed is lost, the turn can be tighter to
> >>ensure just that.
> >>
> >>Wayne

> > But you create a situation where driver's can't *see* (in many cases,
> > anyway) the radius where it tightens.
> >

> That is why there is a sign warning of it.
>
> Wayne

The problem being that such warning signs are so often wildly wrong,
that when one is right you get surprised.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 10:26:23 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>True enough. Plenty who /try/ not to brake while turning, of course,
>but anyone can get it wrong and go into the curve too fast.

Or the many others who aren't pushing adhesion limits at all and use
their brakes for reasons other than turn dynamics. Most people I see
riding do not take turns anywhere near a speed that would limit their
ability to also brake if something happens. They're bopping along at
12-16 mph, having fun, and/or commuting and seeing no reason to do a
curve in any other manner.

And these people can hit their brakes hard on in the curve a do little
more than skid a bit.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

>> Again: people who defend night driving at 75+ mph on rural two-lane
>> roads lack the judgement to comment on mitigating neighborhood speeding.

> I can't think of any two lane roads near where I live that I would
> consider doing 75+ mph at night. Too risky when you consider
> that it isn't just other motorists that you need to be concerned
> with. Wild animals tend to roam about at night and may wander
> out onto the roadway. Hitting a deer would ruin your night.

I can -- in the Sacramento Delta. No animal life there except cows and the
occasional dog, and with the road on top of a levee it's unlikely that a cow
will wander up there. Visibility is also excellent, with isolated exceptions.

Alan Baker <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> greg byshenk <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Alan Baker <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > The huge mistake is for advisory limits to be set so inconsistently that
> > > one doesn't have an honest idea for what speeds can be used in such
> > > situations.

> > This is almost certainly true (and it is at least arguably true that
> > advisory speed limits are indeed seriously inconsistent), as is the
> > earlier comment that decreasing radius turns are to be avoided if
> > possible.
> >
> > I would note, though, that such things have absolutely nothing to do
> > with speed humps or residential speed limits (or even speed limits on
> > urban surface arterials). I don't know if anyone is actually suggesting
> > that they do; I am justing noting the fact.

> Actually, they have a lot to do with it.
>
> In the same way that seriously underposted advisory limits lead people
> to ignore them, seriously underposted legal limits lead people to ignore
> them; even where they're appropriate, such as in residential
> neighbourhoods.

Yes, that was exactly the point I was trying to illustrate.

nate

Alan Baker <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Nate Nagel <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Alan Baker wrote:

> > > It also shows how stupid the system is.
> > >
> > > A ball bank indicator? One big problem with it: in addition to the
> > > movement of the ball due to lateral g forces, you also get movement due
> > > to the roll of the vehicle. And since different vehicles roll different
> > > amounts, you automatically get inconsistent results.
> > >

> > Maybe *YOUR* car has perceptible roll at under 0.5G <G>
> >
> > nate

> *Every* car does.

You missed the "perceptible" and the <G> - some of us like stiff
suspensions, such as:

http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel/daytona6.html

nate

Frank Krygowski <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Nate Nagel wrote:
>
> > Frank Krygowski wrote:
> >

> >> Perhaps you should start with how you see miles in the dark in Nevada.
> >> Then tell how it works in Virginia.
> >>

> > It's really easy, you just flip on the high beams.

> It's fantasy time! ;-)
>

> > A nice bonus of the flat terrain is that the moonlight actually helps
> > you, as the only shadows are from the trees.

> So, how many miles would you say you can normally see? I'm curious
> about your estimate. (Those are some headlights!)

Couldn't honestly say. It's been a couple months since that road trip
and I haven't been in the car since. Also, even though we were out in
the country, there was a full or near-full moon that night, it never
really did get completely dark, so even if my memory were better I
couldn't give you an estimate of range.

I would guess that in my daily driver 944 which has
not-quite-legal-in-the-US but excellent Cibie H4 E-code lights with a
custom relay harness, I have never actually seen the range of my
headlights because the only road I know of near me dark enough to
really test same is curvy and hilly enough that there's not enough
distance for a real test. There's usable light 1/4 mile or more out
there, and that's with legal wattage bulbs. (I have some 90/100W
bulbs on the shelf, but I'm a little hesitant to try them because I'm
afraid I might fry some poor guy's retinas if I don't dim them quickly
enough.)

nate

"Daniel J. Stern" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On Sun, 3 Oct 2004, Nate Nagel wrote:
>
> > Tung-Sol '62 vintage sealed beams on that car seem to give better light
> > than the halogens did on the p-car.

> On low beam: Yes, the beam focus and formation is definitely better, peak
> intensity is higher and upward stray light is much lower. Light color is
> poor, though.
>
> On high beam: No, the halogen sealed beams are better.

I disagree, at least subjectively - or is it possible that a 40 year
old Studebaker wiring harness actually has less voltage drop than a 16
year old Porsche wiring harness? When I got the 944, the headlights
were sickly and yellow, and I really didn't enjoy driving it at night
until I addressed that problem (in a massive overkill sort of way, of
course.)

nate

Nate Nagel <[email protected]> wrote:
> Alan Baker <[email protected]> wrote:
> > greg byshenk <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > This is almost certainly true (and it is at least arguably true that
> > > advisory speed limits are indeed seriously inconsistent), as is the
> > > earlier comment that decreasing radius turns are to be avoided if
> > > possible.

> > > I would note, though, that such things have absolutely nothing to do
> > > with speed humps or residential speed limits (or even speed limits on
> > > urban surface arterials). I don't know if anyone is actually suggesting
> > > that they do; I am justing noting the fact.

> > Actually, they have a lot to do with it.

> > In the same way that seriously underposted advisory limits lead people
> > to ignore them, seriously underposted legal limits lead people to ignore
> > them; even where they're appropriate, such as in residential
> > neighbourhoods.

> Yes, that was exactly the point I was trying to illustrate.

IOW if I'm reading correctly, you are saying that there is some sort of
analogy that one can draw between the two. Which means that the two
don't actually have anything to do with each other.

Poorly maintainance can cause one's programs to crash, and poor
maintainance can cause one's car to crash. The cases are analogous in
a certain way, but actually have nothing to do with each other.

--
greg byshenk - [email protected] - Leiden, NL

In article <[email protected]>,
greg byshenk <[email protected]> wrote:

> Nate Nagel <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Alan Baker <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Actually, they have a lot to do with it.

> > > In the same way that seriously underposted advisory limits lead people
> > > to ignore them, seriously underposted legal limits lead people to ignore
> > > them; even where they're appropriate, such as in residential
> > > neighbourhoods.

> > Yes, that was exactly the point I was trying to illustrate.

> IOW if I'm reading correctly, you are saying that there is some sort of
> analogy that one can draw between the two. Which means that the two
> don't actually have anything to do with each other.
>
> Poorly maintainance can cause one's programs to crash, and poor
> maintainance can cause one's car to crash. The cases are analogous in
> a certain way, but actually have nothing to do with each other.

Actually, the problems we were discussing are very similar. Nothing like
you're describing at all.

--

vichercules <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> [...]

> The increase correponds directly to the increase of light trucks as a
> percentage of passenger vehicles in the United states.
>
> In addition, if you look at the rollover statistics posted recently by
> the feds (http://www.suvrollovernews.com/html/article7.html) you will
> find that 53% of all traffic fatalities are due to SUV rollovers and
> that SUV's have a 25% higher fatality rate per accident than
> passenger vehicles. (http://www.stats.org/record.jsp?type=news&ID=388)
>
> Imprisonment for driving dangerous SUV's would probably have no effect
> especially considering that the rollover rate and corresponding deaths
> would make few of the defendants available for trial. However, there
> is much to support that SUV's considerably more dangerous to their
> occupants and to the occupants of passenger cars that are struck by
> them than other vehicles. It is clear that from a fuel consumption
> standpoint that SUV's are supremely wasteful when it comes to natural
> resources.
>
> I find it shocking that in an age where safety features in automobiles
> are advancing at a record rate, the irrational and selfish vehicle
> choices of a nation actually increase the number of road fatalities.
> Imagine the numbers if EAS, side airbags, and anti lock brakes weren't
> around to soften the blow.
>
> Is that enough documentation?
>
> It took about 10 minutes of googling to find thousands of pages, I can
> include more links if you would like.
>

> "United States - The death toll on our highways makes driving the
> number one cause of death and injury for young people ages 5 to 27.
> Highway crashes cause 94 percent of all transportation fatalities and
> 99 percent of all transportation injuries, yet traffic safety programs
> receive only one percent of the funding of the U.S. DOT budget. The
> staggering loss of life and the incidence of life-threatening injuries
> occurring each year is best described as a public health crisis.
> According to a WHO report, "The Injury Pyramid," for every motor
> vehicle injury resulting in death in the US, 13 people sustain injuries
> severe enough to require hospitalization.
>
> In the US DOT publication "The Economic Costs Of Motor Vehicle
> Crashes," NHTSA investigator Lawrence J. Blincoe reports that in 1994,
> motor vehicle crashes accounted for 40,676 fatalites, and 4,100,000
> injuries (of which 533,000 or 13% were serious). The total lifetime
> cost to the US economy for automobile accidents that occured in 1994
> was $150.5 billion. The 1996 NHTSA report "1996 Traffic Safety Facts"
> (pdf) came up with similar though somewhat improved statistics: 41,907
> fatalities and 3,511,000 injuries, 456,430 of them serious. The 1997
> NHTSA report "Traffic Safety Facts 1997" reports 41,967 fatalities and
> 3,399,000 injuries, 441,870 of them serious. The 1998 NHTSA report
> "Traffic Safety Facts 1998 Annual Report" reports 41,471 fatalities and
> 3,192,000 injuries, 414,960 of them serious. "

Very dramatic information, but since SUVs generate so much business,
nobody will do a thing about it.

SUVs are a sign of how much "armor" we need on American roads.
Ironically, along with posing a much greater risk to others, the armor
exposes their own Achilles' heel. We are the victims of our own
success...

If we measure "success" in terms of the junk we own.

Alan Baker <[email protected]> wrote:
> greg byshenk <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Nate Nagel <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Yes, that was exactly the point I was trying to illustrate.

> > IOW if I'm reading correctly, you are saying that there is some sort of
> > analogy that one can draw between the two. Which means that the two
> > don't actually have anything to do with each other.

> > Poorly maintainance can cause one's programs to crash, and poor
> > maintainance can cause one's car to crash. The cases are analogous in
> > a certain way, but actually have nothing to do with each other.

> Actually, the problems we were discussing are very similar. Nothing like
> you're describing at all.

Then perhaps you can explain _how_. The explanation above seems to be
precisely a statement of analogy: "A is to B as C is to D". Or, more
directly: "underposted advisory limits are related to people ignoring
advisory limits in the same way as underposted legal limits are to
people ignoring legal limits".

This may be true, but even if so, does nothing to connect _advisory_
limits to violation of legal limits.

--
greg byshenk - [email protected] - Leiden, NL

In article <[email protected]>,
greg byshenk <[email protected]> wrote:

> Alan Baker <[email protected]> wrote:
> > greg byshenk <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > IOW if I'm reading correctly, you are saying that there is some sort of
> > > analogy that one can draw between the two. Which means that the two
> > > don't actually have anything to do with each other.

> > > Poorly maintainance can cause one's programs to crash, and poor
> > > maintainance can cause one's car to crash. The cases are analogous in
> > > a certain way, but actually have nothing to do with each other.

> > Actually, the problems we were discussing are very similar. Nothing like
> > you're describing at all.

> Then perhaps you can explain _how_. The explanation above seems to be
> precisely a statement of analogy: "A is to B as C is to D". Or, more
> directly: "underposted advisory limits are related to people ignoring
> advisory limits in the same way as underposted legal limits are to
> people ignoring legal limits".
>
> This may be true, but even if so, does nothing to connect _advisory_
> limits to violation of legal limits.

The connection is that there are legal limits that *are* set correctly
where it is not obvious *why* the limit should be lowered. Not all road
hazards are observable from the driver's seat. But in those cases people
are pre-disposed not to trust the limit, because all of their driving
experience has shown them that legal limits tend to be set wrong.
Unaware of the hazards that they cannot see, they drive without regard
to the limit.

This is precisely what happens in with advisory limits. It's not
analogous, it's the same. It's just that everyone has experienced the
situation with advisory limits, where they may not realize that it
happens with legal limits.

Set limits appropriately *all the time*, and driver's will trust them.
Give drivers wrong information, and they'll tune it out *all the time*.