Cities Turning to Bicycles

>> Actually, the problems we were discussing are very similar. Nothing like
>> you're describing at all.

> Then perhaps you can explain _how_. The explanation above seems to be
> precisely a statement of analogy: "A is to B as C is to D". Or, more
> directly: "underposted advisory limits are related to people ignoring
> advisory limits in the same way as underposted legal limits are to
> people ignoring legal limits".
>
> This may be true, but even if so, does nothing to connect _advisory_
> limits to violation of legal limits.

The connection is this: both the advisory speeds and the legal limits are
posted by the same highway department, and now that that department has
thoroughly earned a reputation for "crying wolf" on most of its signs,
all of its signs tend to be disregarded -- including the small percentage
that drivers really need to heed.

In article <[email protected]>,
John David Galt <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> Actually, the problems we were discussing are very similar. Nothing like
> >> you're describing at all.

> > Then perhaps you can explain _how_. The explanation above seems to be
> > precisely a statement of analogy: "A is to B as C is to D". Or, more
> > directly: "underposted advisory limits are related to people ignoring
> > advisory limits in the same way as underposted legal limits are to
> > people ignoring legal limits".
> >
> > This may be true, but even if so, does nothing to connect _advisory_
> > limits to violation of legal limits.

> The connection is this: both the advisory speeds and the legal limits are
> posted by the same highway department, and now that that department has
> thoroughly earned a reputation for "crying wolf" on most of its signs,
> all of its signs tend to be disregarded -- including the small percentage
> that drivers really need to heed.

I knew it wasn't that hard to get! <g>

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia

[email protected] (Nate Nagel) writes:

> Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:<[email protected]>...
>> Nate Nagel <[email protected]> writes:

>> > Whoa! Hod it right there! That person should get a ticket - no
>> > matter what the speed limit is. That's a completely separate
>> > issue, and another pet peeve of mine.

>> Well, then you're having to control people's behavior further by
>> forcing the minimum speed limit higher than the current 45 mph
>> posted on most interstate highways. Brent already complained
>> vociferously about people telling him how to drive, but here we go
>> again- this time on the slower rather than faster drivers.

> Not necessarily. I don't have a problem with people driving 45 MPH
> on the freeway, but I have a problem with them doing it in lanes
> other than the right while everyone else is going a minimum of 70.

Driving 45 in the middle lane gums things up, to be sure. But it's
common enough around here (Minneapolis/St. Paul). We also have lots
of crappy highway design, including many left-lane exits resulting in
people trying to get from the right lane, where they reasonably
expected the exit to be located, across traffic to the left lane- in
the space of a quarter mile or less. Saw about 9 cars do that today,
AAMOF. Frightening.

>> > Slow traffic stays to the right, faster traffic passes to the
>> > left, that way nobody gets "held up" until the highway is
>> > completely full. that's the way it's *supposed* to work, anyway.

>> Well, that's what *I* was taught in driver's ed lo those many many
>> years ago. I see a *lot* of people, though driving 50 and slower
>> in the middle lane.

> As do I. But that doesn't change the fact that it's illegal in all
> but a few states, so we don't even need to legislate anything. The
> law just simply needs to be enforced... (not sure where you're
> reading this from, but in RAD there is another thread going about
> the utter and complete lack of enforcement of a supposedly new,
> stronger KRETP law.)

Dunno what KREPT means. I'm reading this thread in
rec.bicycles.rides, so the r.a.d terminology conventions are unknown
to me.

>> My mother- an alert and oriented 75 year old- claims she was taught
>> that slow traffic should drive slow in the middle lane so that
>> people can pass on either side. I've not had a lot of success
>> convincing her this is a Bad Idea. Fortunately for all concerned
>> she almost never drives on the highways.

> Indeed, and I concur with your assessment.

Yup.

>> > The idea is to make it more like a laminar flow than a completely
>> > turbulent one.

>> If we can.

> Sure we can. Other civilized countries seem to manage it fairly
> well, and I have even experienced rare, blissful moments in this
> country where I've found myself on a highway where everyone was
> KRETP. Just for the record, I do tend to drive faster than the
> median speed of traffic, but I'm rarely the *fastest* driver on the
> road, and yes, I do do my part by yielding to faster traffic. Even
> when I'm not the fastest driver on the road I still find things much
> less stressful when I'm more able to accurately predict how those
> around me will behave.

I drive much the same, I suspect, and seem to be a cause of
consternation for many when I'm only going 10 mph over the limit. Of
course, I've later passed many of those people in the ditch during the
winter around here... It is much less stressful when you have some
idea of what to expect. Unfortunately, driving skills are so poor in
general that this is difficult to do.

[email protected] (Brent P) writes:

> In article <[email protected]>, Tim McNamara wrote:
>> [email protected] (Brent P) writes:

>>> Less rapidly with 85th% limits and KRETP, than the current LLBing
>>> situation with under posted limits.

>> Uhh... KREPT? LLB?

> Keep Right Except To Pass. Left Lane Block(er)

Ah. Thanks.

>>> 85th percentile limits won't allow me to drive any faster than I
>>> do now. Legally isn't even a consideration because enforcement of
>>> the underposted limits is effectively zero for the speeds I drive.
>>>
>>> I am selfish in that I want better flow. I grow tired backups
>>> caused by one LLB who refuses to yield the passing lane to the 15
>>> people behind him.

>>> A loss of revenue being the only one.

>> You are contradicting yourself. If enforcement of the speed limit
>> is effectively zero, there is no significant revenue being
>> generated and therefore there could be no significant loss of
>> revenue. You are also showing a severe lack of willingness to look
>> at the issue objectively if you think a "loss of revenue" is the
>> only problem posed by higher speed limits.

> Effectively zero for the speeds I drive when and where I drive. I
> apologize for the error, the additional text I edited out by
> mistake. Yes, there would be little of revenue going through the
> city of chicago since it is so lightly patrolled that it is
> effectively zero. However, there would be a huge loss of revenue on
> I294 on weekends.

Revenue over and above the bizarre toll booth system which seems to
result in 1 to 5 mile long backups several times over the course of 50
miles from Wisconsin into Woodfield. Haven't driven the inbound
Kennedy in years.

> But even effectively zero enforcement is still can bring in about
> alot revenue for the government when there are enough people. The
> odds of any one motorist being stopped is low. But even .1% of a
> huge number is still significant money. But for any one driver it's
> effectively zero.

Which encourages them to gamble on getting caught.

Nate Nagel wrote:
> Frank Krygowski wrote:
>

>> If a vehicle is not undergoing extreme lateral acceleration, there is
>> plenty of friction available for braking as well as turning. And, as
>> on freeway exit ramps, I have sense to stay away from ten-tenths
>> cornering moves.
>>

> But that's exactly what you were busting me on earlier - entering a
> corner at, say, 6/10 and suddenly discovering that I needed 10/10 or
> more - which can happen.

Overestimating a safe cornering speed by 40%? That can happen, I
suppose, but not to anyone who's even marginally competent.

I'm continually astounded that you aren't embarrassed by your own posts.
You routinely make yourself sound like you can barely find the pavement!

You also suggested that I slow down in that
> situation, implying braking...

It was meant to imply driving at a slower speed.

--
--------------------+
replace with cc.ysu dot edu]

Nate Nagel wrote:

> Frank Krygowski <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>

>>So, how many miles would you say you can normally see? I'm curious
>>about your estimate. (Those are some headlights!)

> Couldn't honestly say. It's been a couple months since that road trip
> and I haven't been in the car since.

Please, Nate, at least estimate! Did the headlights on that old car
shine two miles down the road? Or would you say three? Or more?

Also, even though we were out in
> the country, there was a full or near-full moon that night, it never
> really did get completely dark, so even if my memory were better I
> couldn't give you an estimate of range.

I think memory has nothing to do with it. I think you're beginning to
realize that your headlights won't show a normal (i.e. non-reflective)
object even half a mile down the road, and you're trying to find ways of
changing the subject away from your nonsensical claims.

It's probably better to just admit you were exaggerating. And, of
course, admit the 75+ mph car was overdriving the beams - a classic and
elementary driving mistake.

--
--------------------+
replace with cc.ysu dot edu]

In article <[email protected]>,
Frank Krygowski <[email protected]> wrote:

> Nate Nagel wrote:
>
> > Frank Krygowski <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>...
> >

> >>So, how many miles would you say you can normally see? I'm curious
> >>about your estimate. (Those are some headlights!)

> > Couldn't honestly say. It's been a couple months since that road trip
> > and I haven't been in the car since.

> Please, Nate, at least estimate! Did the headlights on that old car
> shine two miles down the road? Or would you say three? Or more?
>

> Also, even though we were out in
> > the country, there was a full or near-full moon that night, it never
> > really did get completely dark, so even if my memory were better I
> > couldn't give you an estimate of range.

> I think memory has nothing to do with it. I think you're beginning to
> realize that your headlights won't show a normal (i.e. non-reflective)
> object even half a mile down the road, and you're trying to find ways of
> changing the subject away from your nonsensical claims.
>
> It's probably better to just admit you were exaggerating. And, of
> course, admit the 75+ mph car was overdriving the beams - a classic and
> elementary driving mistake.

They don't have to show objects half a mile away. And a couple of quick
tests driving to and from my hockey games have shown that low-beams
illuminate objects at far more than 160 ft.

--

Alan Baker wrote:
> I think you're beginning to
>>realize that your headlights won't show a normal (i.e. non-reflective)
>>object even half a mile down the road, and you're trying to find ways of
>>changing the subject away from your nonsensical claims.
>>
>>It's probably better to just admit you were exaggerating. And, of
>>course, admit the 75+ mph car was overdriving the beams - a classic and
>>elementary driving mistake.

> They don't have to show objects half a mile away. And a couple of quick
> tests driving to and from my hockey games have shown that low-beams
> illuminate objects at far more than 160 ft.

I'm trying to take things in small steps here.

Nate had previously talked about being able to see "miles" down the road
at night. He needs to be brought back to reality. People who think
their lights extend for "miles" are likely to overdrive them.

--
Frank Krygowski [To reply, remove rodent and vegetable dot com.
Substitute cc dot ysu dot

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 09:58:42 -0400, Frank Krygowski
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Alan Baker wrote:
>> I think you're beginning to
>>>realize that your headlights won't show a normal (i.e. non-reflective)
>>>object even half a mile down the road, and you're trying to find ways of
>>>changing the subject away from your nonsensical claims.
>>>
>>>It's probably better to just admit you were exaggerating. And, of
>>>course, admit the 75+ mph car was overdriving the beams - a classic and
>>>elementary driving mistake.

>> They don't have to show objects half a mile away. And a couple of quick
>> tests driving to and from my hockey games have shown that low-beams
>> illuminate objects at far more than 160 ft.

>I'm trying to take things in small steps here.
>
>Nate had previously talked about being able to see "miles" down the road
>at night. He needs to be brought back to reality. People who think
>their lights extend for "miles" are likely to overdrive them.

What seems to be ignored in this discussion sometimes is that the
'overdriving' your lights is much more applicable to a situation where
you are the ONLY driver/car on the highway. In most cases you are not
and the dozens of people ahead of you have already "cleared" the path.
Aside from an area where there is a real likelihood of a large animal
jumping out onto the road, there's not a whole not of danger in going
90 mph at night as long as you have all those clearing cars ahead of
you, esp if you can see their tail lights. There isn't going to be an
accident you don't notice that will suddenly surprise you, or a car
stopped in the lane ahead unless it purposely pulled out without it's
lights on and then managed to stop in the several seconds between when
the last car ahead of you went past and when you arrive at that spot.

At 90 mph and if cars are no closer then 1 mile apart, you have 40
second intervals between when each car passes any fixed point. If
cars are half a mile apart, then the interval is only 20 seconds.
Just how much is going to happen and create a hazard on that spot in
that 20 second interval when things are dark there. And that's
discounting the fact that your headlights do more then illuminate just
a few hundred feet. If you allow that they will probably let you see
at least a quarter mile then the 40 seconds becomes about 30 seconds
and the 20 seconds becomes more like 15 seconds or less.
--
Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:

"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the
establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . .
Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of
the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order
to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House
of Representatives, August 17, 1789

AZGuy wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 09:58:42 -0400, Frank Krygowski
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Nate had previously talked about being able to see "miles" down the road
>>at night. He needs to be brought back to reality. People who think
>>their lights extend for "miles" are likely to overdrive them.

> What seems to be ignored in this discussion sometimes is that the
> 'overdriving' your lights is much more applicable to a situation where
> you are the ONLY driver/car on the highway. In most cases you are not
> and the dozens of people ahead of you have already "cleared" the path.
> Aside from an area where there is a real likelihood of a large animal
> jumping out onto the road, there's not a whole not of danger in going
> 90 mph at night as long as you have all those clearing cars ahead of
> you, esp if you can see their tail lights. There isn't going to be an
> accident you don't notice that will suddenly surprise you, or a car
> stopped in the lane ahead unless it purposely pulled out without it's
> lights on and then managed to stop in the several seconds between when
> the last car ahead of you went past and when you arrive at that spot.

Understood. However, in the post that originally got us on this
sub-topic, the poster was bragging about an old vehicle doing "75+ mph"
on a rural two lane road.

Can you count on nobody walking across that road at night? If, say, the
speed limit is 55 mph and a pedestrian is waiting for several cars to
pass, he will likely be judging the time available based on the motion
of the 55 mph cars, since ordinary depth perception is fairly useless in
such circumstances.

So we'd likely have this situation: the pedestrian saying, after
waiting a while as cars pass, "OK, based on what I just saw with the
last 5 cars, if the next car is at least as far as that distant
billboard, I'll have just enough time to safely cross."

But if the next car is doing 90 instead of 55, there's not time to
cross. And pedestrians are no more illuminated than deer and dogs and
tree branches.

So briefly, we have our hypothetical driver exceeding his capabilities
and those of his vehicle based on certain assumptions. Often the
assumptions are true, but sometimes they're not.

The benefits go to the driver, and are - let's face it - not worth much.
They are: getting home to watch the beginning of the Simpsons; and/or
feeling really cool while pretending to be a race car driver.

The detriments go to everyone else: more risk, less mobility, more
noise, more taxes for police enforcement, more funding for emergency
personnel and ER teams who have to scrape Speed Racer out of the ditch
and put him back together, etc.

--
Frank Krygowski [To reply, remove rodent and vegetable dot com.
Substitute cc dot ysu dot
edu]

Frank Krygowski <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Alan Baker wrote:
> > I think you're beginning to
> >>realize that your headlights won't show a normal (i.e. non-reflective)
> >>object even half a mile down the road, and you're trying to find ways of
> >>changing the subject away from your nonsensical claims.
> >>
> >>It's probably better to just admit you were exaggerating. And, of
> >>course, admit the 75+ mph car was overdriving the beams - a classic and
> >>elementary driving mistake.

> > They don't have to show objects half a mile away. And a couple of quick
> > tests driving to and from my hockey games have shown that low-beams
> > illuminate objects at far more than 160 ft.

> I'm trying to take things in small steps here.
>
> Nate had previously talked about being able to see "miles" down the road
> at night.

I never made any such claim.

> He needs to be brought back to reality. People who think
> their lights extend for "miles" are likely to overdrive them.

Possibly true, but irrelevant if you're talking about me.

nate

On 11 Oct 2004 14:17:58 -0700, [email protected] (Nate Nagel) wrote:

>Frank Krygowski <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>> Alan Baker wrote:
>> > I think you're beginning to

>> > They don't have to show objects half a mile away. And a couple of quick
>> > tests driving to and from my hockey games have shown that low-beams
>> > illuminate objects at far more than 160 ft.

>> I'm trying to take things in small steps here.
>>
>> Nate had previously talked about being able to see "miles" down the road
>> at night.

>I never made any such claim.

FK: "Perhaps you should start with how you see miles in the dark in
Nevada. Then tell how it works in Virginia."

NN: "It's really easy, you just flip on the high beams."

Message ID: [email protected]

Frank Krygowski wrote:
> Nate Nagel wrote:
>
>> Frank Krygowski <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:<[email protected]>...
>>

>>> So, how many miles would you say you can normally see? I'm curious
>>> about your estimate. (Those are some headlights!)

>> Couldn't honestly say. It's been a couple months since that road trip
>> and I haven't been in the car since.

> Please, Nate, at least estimate! Did the headlights on that old car
> shine two miles down the road? Or would you say three? Or more?

Nah, maybe a quarter mile, but that's a WAG. Maybe less. Defintely
more than 400 feet though.

> Also, even though we were out in
>
>> the country, there was a full or near-full moon that night, it never
>> really did get completely dark, so even if my memory were better I
>> couldn't give you an estimate of range.

> I think memory has nothing to do with it. I think you're beginning to
> realize that your headlights won't show a normal (i.e. non-reflective)
> object even half a mile down the road, and you're trying to find ways of
> changing the subject away from your nonsensical claims.

Where have I ever claimed that I could see half a mile down the road?
Where have you demonstrated that for safe 75 MPH travel, it's necessary
to see that far?

> It's probably better to just admit you were exaggerating. And, of
> course, admit the 75+ mph car was overdriving the beams - a classic and
> elementary driving mistake.

I disagree. Yes, it's a classic and elementary mistake, but IMHO my
friend was not guilty of it.

BTW, as promised:

http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel/images/superhawk.pdf

sorry about the inverted image, I had to walk halfway across the
building to scan it and I didn't feel like hiking back to rescan once I
saw it was upside down.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.

Frank Krygowski wrote:

> AZGuy wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 09:58:42 -0400, Frank Krygowski
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>> Nate had previously talked about being able to see "miles" down the
>>> road at night. He needs to be brought back to reality. People who
>>> think their lights extend for "miles" are likely to overdrive them.

>> What seems to be ignored in this discussion sometimes is that the
>> 'overdriving' your lights is much more applicable to a situation where
>> you are the ONLY driver/car on the highway. In most cases you are not
>> and the dozens of people ahead of you have already "cleared" the path.
>> Aside from an area where there is a real likelihood of a large animal
>> jumping out onto the road, there's not a whole not of danger in going
>> 90 mph at night as long as you have all those clearing cars ahead of
>> you, esp if you can see their tail lights. There isn't going to be an
>> accident you don't notice that will suddenly surprise you, or a car
>> stopped in the lane ahead unless it purposely pulled out without it's
>> lights on and then managed to stop in the several seconds between when
>> the last car ahead of you went past and when you arrive at that spot.

> Understood. However, in the post that originally got us on this
> sub-topic, the poster was bragging about an old vehicle doing "75+ mph"
> on a rural two lane road.

Not bragging. your words, not mine. I was using an anecdote to
illustrate a point, which you've repeatedly missed.

> Can you count on nobody walking across that road at night? If, say, the
> speed limit is 55 mph and a pedestrian is waiting for several cars to
> pass, he will likely be judging the time available based on the motion
> of the 55 mph cars, since ordinary depth perception is fairly useless in
> such circumstances.

Yes, when a road is enclosed by cyclone fence on both sides, that's a
fairly safe bet.

nate

--

Frank Krygowski wrote:

> Nate Nagel wrote:
>
>> Frank Krygowski wrote:
>>

>>> If a vehicle is not undergoing extreme lateral acceleration, there is
>>> plenty of friction available for braking as well as turning. And, as
>>> on freeway exit ramps, I have sense to stay away from ten-tenths
>>> cornering moves.
>>>

>> But that's exactly what you were busting me on earlier - entering a
>> corner at, say, 6/10 and suddenly discovering that I needed 10/10 or
>> more - which can happen.

> Overestimating a safe cornering speed by 40%? That can happen, I
> suppose, but not to anyone who's even marginally competent.

Not even in a situation like this?

http://www.gribblenation.com/hfotw/exit_50.html

granted, that's a rare and extreme example, but it illustrates my point
very nicely, I think.

> I'm continually astounded that you aren't embarrassed by your own posts.
> You routinely make yourself sound like you can barely find the pavement!
>
> You also suggested that I slow down in that
>
>> situation, implying braking...

> It was meant to imply driving at a slower speed.

That's all well and good, but that doesn't address the problem at all.

nate

--

Wayne Pein wrote:

> Alan Baker wrote:
>
>> In article <Dn19d.19776$n%[email protected]>,
>> Wayne Pein <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> Starting with a larger radius is more consistent with the high speed
>>> entering the off ramp. As speed is lost, the turn can be tighter to
>>> ensure just that.
>>>
>>> Wayne

>> But you create a situation where driver's can't *see* (in many cases,
>> anyway) the radius where it tightens.
>>

> That is why there is a sign warning of it.
>
> Wayne

Wouldn't it be better to simply make the curve a constant radius rather
than seemingly "trick" drivers? You know as well as I that 98% of the
signs on a freeway are ********, advisory as well as statutory. In
short, pardon my French, but you are advocating half-assed, ********,
dangerous engineering when the correct solution probably costs no more
in money, time, or materials.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

In article <[email protected]>,
Frank Krygowski <[email protected]> wrote:

> AZGuy wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 09:58:42 -0400, Frank Krygowski
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> >

> >>Nate had previously talked about being able to see "miles" down the road
> >>at night. He needs to be brought back to reality. People who think
> >>their lights extend for "miles" are likely to overdrive them.

> > What seems to be ignored in this discussion sometimes is that the
> > 'overdriving' your lights is much more applicable to a situation where
> > you are the ONLY driver/car on the highway. In most cases you are not
> > and the dozens of people ahead of you have already "cleared" the path.
> > Aside from an area where there is a real likelihood of a large animal
> > jumping out onto the road, there's not a whole not of danger in going
> > 90 mph at night as long as you have all those clearing cars ahead of
> > you, esp if you can see their tail lights. There isn't going to be an
> > accident you don't notice that will suddenly surprise you, or a car
> > stopped in the lane ahead unless it purposely pulled out without it's
> > lights on and then managed to stop in the several seconds between when
> > the last car ahead of you went past and when you arrive at that spot.

> Understood. However, in the post that originally got us on this
> sub-topic, the poster was bragging about an old vehicle doing "75+ mph"
> on a rural two lane road.
>
> Can you count on nobody walking across that road at night? If, say, the
> speed limit is 55 mph and a pedestrian is waiting for several cars to
> pass, he will likely be judging the time available based on the motion
> of the 55 mph cars, since ordinary depth perception is fairly useless in
> such circumstances.
>
> So we'd likely have this situation: the pedestrian saying, after
> waiting a while as cars pass, "OK, based on what I just saw with the
> last 5 cars, if the next car is at least as far as that distant
> billboard, I'll have just enough time to safely cross."
>
> But if the next car is doing 90 instead of 55, there's not time to
> cross. And pedestrians are no more illuminated than deer and dogs and
> tree branches.
>
> So briefly, we have our hypothetical driver exceeding his capabilities
> and those of his vehicle based on certain assumptions. Often the
> assumptions are true, but sometimes they're not.
>
> The benefits go to the driver, and are - let's face it - not worth much.
> They are: getting home to watch the beginning of the Simpsons; and/or
> feeling really cool while pretending to be a race car driver.
>
> The detriments go to everyone else: more risk, less mobility, more
> noise, more taxes for police enforcement, more funding for emergency
> personnel and ER teams who have to scrape Speed Racer out of the ditch
> and put him back together, etc.

What a load of ********.

You mean to say that a pedestrian won't be able to tell that a car doing
90 isn't going significantly faster than one he just saw doing 55? You
want to stick to that story?

--

Frank Krygowski wrote:

> Nate Nagel wrote:
>
>> Frank Krygowski wrote:
>>

>>> Overestimating a safe cornering speed by 40%? That can happen, I
>>> suppose, but not to anyone who's even marginally competent.

>> Not even in a situation like this?
>>
>> http://www.gribblenation.com/hfotw/exit_50.html

> Not even in a situation like that.

You are either being deliberately disingenuous, or else you've never
driven an automobile. There is *no way* to see the decreasing radius
until one is already into the shallower curve.

Therefore, into the killfile with you, since you apparently are immune
to logic.

*plonk*

My apologies to regular readers of RAD for dragging this long, stupid
thread out to its current long, stupid lengths; sometimes I just don't
know when to quit.

nate

--

Alan Baker wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> Frank Krygowski <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Can you count on nobody walking across that road at night? If, say, the
>>speed limit is 55 mph and a pedestrian is waiting for several cars to
>>pass, he will likely be judging the time available based on the motion
>>of the 55 mph cars, since ordinary depth perception is fairly useless in
>>such circumstances.
>>
>>So we'd likely have this situation: the pedestrian saying, after
>>waiting a while as cars pass, "OK, based on what I just saw with the
>>last 5 cars, if the next car is at least as far as that distant
>>billboard, I'll have just enough time to safely cross."
>>
>>But if the next car is doing 90 instead of 55, there's not time to
>>cross. And pedestrians are no more illuminated than deer and dogs and
>>tree branches. ...

> What a load of ********.
>
> You mean to say that a pedestrian won't be able to tell that a car doing
> 90 isn't going significantly faster than one he just saw doing 55? You
> want to stick to that story?

Apparently, it pains you to think that anyone might ever be injured
because someone drives 90 mph at night. But to think otherwise seems
fantastically unrealistic.

What situation are you envisioning? One where the 90 mph car is on a
perfectly straight road? Where the pedestrian can see its approach for
a nice long time, to carefully judge its speed? Where the pedestrian is
an athletic guy with a good sprint? Can you not understand that your
ideal situation is seldom real?

I've walked across many highways, day and night. Despite your lack of
imagination, there are _many_ situations when oncoming cars are visible
for only a short distance, and where pedestrians have to count on
drivers being reasonable. In these situations, pedestrians have to say
"OK, if there are no cars visible, there's just enough time to cross."
Furthermore, there are many pedestrians who are not nimble, but must
still cross the road. These folks have less margin for error - and I'm
speaking of _your_ error in driving too fast.

People have a right to mobility, to walk about in the world, even if it
means some motorhead will have to shelve his fantasies and drive
responsibly.

The fact that this needs explained is just more evidence that society
_can't_ rely on drivers to choose their own speeds.

--
replace with cc.ysu dot edu]