Cities with inductive loop sensorsthat don't detect bikes?

Discussion in 'Commuting and Road Safety' started by natnat, Jan 26, 2014.

1. natnat

natnat New Member

I'm working on a device that will trigger inductive loop sensors at traffic lights. I'm testing it in the SF Bay Area, where 80% of lights DO detect bikes. I want to test it in a city where no intersections detect bikes -- that would be a harder test to pass.
    Do any of you know of cities where the cities don't tune their traffic loops to detect bikes?
    Nat

Tags:

2. doss

doss New Member

Salt lake and surrounding areas... Sigh it drives me nutz Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Manu3172

Manu3172 New Member

I already faced that....but that was in France.

4. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

Vacaville, about 40 miles outside of SF. The City touts itself as being a great place to ride but try going out at 6am on Sunday morning and see how long it takes for a car to come along and trigger the lights. The only other cars out and about at that time of morning are the cops that always give me a quick talking too for riding across crosswalks because I'm fed up of waiting so damned long.

5. Sarabikechic

Sarabikechic New Member

Too bad you aren't testing in Pa, they rather infrequently work here.

6. natnat

natnat New Member

Swampy1970,
    Are there a few intersections in particualt that don't trigger for bikes? I want to pre-screen the intersections just to make sure they're not video-controlled. If they are indeed inductive loop sensor-controlled, I'll hear to Vacaville to test.

And thanks to the others too for the tips on SLC, France, and PA. I hope to eventually test the device far away too.

7. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

Leisure Town rd and fry rd/Alamo Rd junction seems to be the worst. The left turn lane traveling south on leisure town rd turning into fry road sucks for cyclists - you either wait for a car to show up or sneak through the junction as if you were a pedestrian.