Citric acid chain cleaning fluid

On 2007-11-19, datakoll <[email protected]> wrote:
> the question evolves from a negative information position on chain
> cleaning. I read users babbling about not destroying California's air
> quality thru use of non-petroleum aka paint thinner solvents

Don't worry about that. You use so little to clean a chain it makes no
difference.

[...]
> I don't see citrus "oils" here
> I do read a combination of sodium citrated and citric acid.
>
> I'll take your advice and not pour citrus products on the chain
> but the microwave...? tryin to remove the Russet's degassed residual
> blood brain barrier

Use bleach on the microwave. Clean chains with kerosene, diesel, paint
thinner or white spirit, it's much cheaper than that silly citrus stuff.

Now what about using "unleaded gas"? Got to be careful not to set
yourself on fire, but the good thing is it would evaporate quickly off
the chain after cleaning and not dissolve the new coating of Finish Line
you're about to put on.

datakoll wrote:
> Of What is Simple Green composed?
> Citric acid cleans bilges and ovens - see the hyperlink to the fed
> site in previous posts.
> Why would citric not clean chains?
> The oil in orange peels is aromatic?
> Why would the pulp contain citric acid and not the peel? A peel - pulp
> barrier?
> Do you know Amuzi? Is this a conspiracy forcing the turkey cooking in
> a less than white microwave?
> Orange juice from say Tropicana is a boiled, refined product. The
> peels? I'll ask.
> Picking oranges is really brutal labor. The guys doing it are tri
> athlete level monkeys.
> What brand citric sprays are used in 'your' neck of the woods?
> Any guesses on spray's citric solution concentration? The label?
> I'm taking a look at the Prestone radiator cleaner: first rate grease
> remover. I remember PRC as free of other chemicals know to the State
> of California to produce inedible turkey or chicken as it were.
>
> Park's ?

The term 'citrus cleaner' does not mean 'citric acid'.

Citrus fruits have citric acid in the juice but the peels have aromatic
turpenes (d-limonene?) which are a different animal!

If you peel an orange with filthy hands, the stuff squirting out of the
peel will clean them. Somebody noticed that, observed that peels are to
the juice business as leather is to meatpacking and a new industry was born!

Yes I worked near a Tropicana plant in Bradenton, quite a sight!
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 05:13:01 -0800 (PST), datakoll
<[email protected]> may have said:

>the question evolves from a negative information position on chain
>cleaning. I read users babbling about not destroying California's air
>quality thru use of non-petroleum aka paint thinner solvents but
>apparently due to fed or state failures forcing I don't know what non-
>petroleum is...
>
>However, I have used Prestone Rad Cleaner, another almost useless
>ripoff from...
>PRC as I experience it doesn't cleanoff lime deposits but does remove
>the occasional blob of grease -there's one now right blo blob blob
>just swimming there.
>
>I don't see citrus "oils" here
>I do read a combination of sodium citrated and citric acid.
>
>I'll take your advice and not pour citrus products on the chain
>but the microwave...? tryin to remove the Russet's degassed residual
>blood brain barrier
>
>Search as Ingredient in All Product CategoriesAuto ProductsHome
>InsidePesticidesLandscape/YardPersonal Care/UseHome MaintenanceHobby/
>CraftPet CareHome Office
>
>Chemical Information
>Chemical Name: Sodium citrate (Trisodium citrate)
>CAS Registry Number: 000068-04-2
>Synonyms: 1,2,3-Propanetricarboxylic acid, 2-hydroxy-, trisodium salt;
>Citric acid, trisodium salt; Sodium citrate; Sodium citrate anhydrous;
>Trisodium citrate
>
>Information from other National Library of Medicine databases
>Health Studies: Human Health Effects from Hazardous Substances Data
>Bank (HSDB)
>Toxicity Information: Search TOXNET
>Chemical Information: Search ChemIDplus
>

>Products that contain this ingredient
>Brand Category Form Percent
>Prestone Cooling System 10 Minute Flush Auto products liquid 5-10

Sodium citrate evolves into an acidic solution in water, and will
attack both lime scale and certain other unwanted cooling system
contaminants without seriously attacking either aluminum or cast iron
if used as per the label instructions. Pour it in an leav it there
for a week, however, and you'll be buying some expensive replacement
parts. As for its usefulness as a soap, if it's doing that for you,
look for the reason; it's not in the sodium citrate. Yes, there's a
surfactant/dispersant package in the rad cleaner to assist in making
sure the citrate does what it's intended to do. Since this product is
not intended to be used on people or animals, they don't have to
reveal everything that's in there...so they don't. It's the wrong
stuff to use on a chain. There are other things that are going to do
the job much better. If you really want to see how well that rad
cleaner works at getting greasy crud off, take an old chain and
"clean" it with the rad cleaner, and then repeat the process using a
real grease remover such as a solvent, butyl-based cleaner or
citrus-based cleaner.

On Nov 19, 11:43 am, Scott Gordo <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Nov 18, 1:00 pm, datakoll <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > tinfoil hats.
> > there is an architectural approach with germanic roots states organic
> > building materials are best for developing a healthy, natural
> > relationship with the planet earth and your life on it or as hoped,
> > with it.
> > Re rod and concrete are negative to the earthen building material
> > approach causing reality deformation similar to living near hi tension
> > wires or transformer stations or in an Airstream.
> > What do tin foil hats have todo with cleaning the microwave with
> > Pedro's Best?

> My bicycle wheels are under tension. So are the bolts holding the bits
> onto the frame. Should I be concerned about sleeping near them?
>
> /s

not if the karma is good: cycle wheels may parallel prayer wheels.

On Nov 19, 4:44 pm, Werehatrack <[email protected]> wrote:
> [...]

> surfactant/dispersant package in the rad cleaner to assist in making
> sure the citrate does what it's intended to do. Since this product is
> not intended to be used on people or animals, they don't have to
> reveal everything that's in there...so they don't. It's the wrong
> stuff to use on a chain. There are other things that are going to do
> the job much better. If you really want to see how well that rad
> cleaner works at getting greasy crud off, take an old chain and
> "clean" it with the rad cleaner, and then repeat the process using a
> real grease remover such as a solvent, butyl-based cleaner or
> citrus-based cleaner.
>
> --
> My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
> Typoes are not a bug, they're a feature.
> Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.- Hide quoted text -

Again, i wuz trying to gain a cleaner from your knowledge and have.
thanks!
Oxalic and the sodium citrates may be more surfactant than emulsifier.
These soaps are used as industrial cleaners: a roll of fabric is
looped onto roolers insode a kettke, boilling water and oxalic is
added and the fabric cooked and washed thru the mix.
Googling has the answers to all these questions, and the necessary
vocabulary, but microwave cleaning is recommended as boiling acidic
lemon juice solution in the oven creating an acidic fog.
Too slow for the advanced state brown film left by the flaming potato.
I will look for starch/paper cleaners.
It is, again guessing, improbable the orange rind does not contain a
high citric acid compound component nor the seed or ...any structure
in there. I have read the lemon oil cleaner is BS, that lemon scent is
lemon scent not lemon scent cleaner.

On Nov 19, 6:44 pm, datakoll <[email protected]> wrote:
> [...]

> thanks!
> Oxalic and the sodium citrates may be more surfactant than emulsifier.
> These soaps are used as industrial cleaners: a roll of fabric is
> looped onto roolers insode a kettke, boilling water and oxalic is
> added and the fabric cooked and washed thru the mix.
> Googling has the answers to all these questions, and the necessary
> vocabulary, but microwave cleaning is recommended as boiling acidic
> lemon juice solution in the oven creating an acidic fog.
> Too slow for the advanced state brown film left by the flaming potato.
> I will look for starch/paper cleaners.
> It is, again guessing, improbable the orange rind does not contain a
> high citric acid compound component nor the seed or ...any structure
> in there. I have read the lemon oil cleaner is BS, that lemon scent is
> lemon scent not lemon scent cleaner.- Hide quoted text -

aha! a breif search for oragne peel chemistry reminds the squozure is
flammable! literature also states peel extract is toxic.

On Nov 19, 3:16 pm, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
> datakoll wrote:
> > Of What is Simple Green composed?
> > Citric acid cleans bilges and ovens - see the hyperlink to the fed
> > site in previous posts.
> > Why would citric not clean chains?
> > The oil in orange peels is aromatic?
> > Why would the pulp contain citric acid and not the peel? A peel - pulp
> > barrier?
> > Do you know Amuzi? Is this a conspiracy forcing the turkey cooking in
> > a less than white microwave?
> > Orange juice from say Tropicana is a boiled, refined product. The
> > peels? I'll ask.
> > Picking oranges is really brutal labor. The guys doing it are tri
> > athlete level monkeys.
> > What brand citric sprays are used in 'your' neck of the woods?
> > Any guesses on spray's citric solution concentration? The label?
> > I'm taking a look at the Prestone radiator cleaner: first rate grease
> > remover. I remember PRC as free of other chemicals know to the State
> > of California to produce inedible turkey or chicken as it were.

> > Park's ?

> The term 'citrus cleaner' does not mean 'citric acid'.
>
> Citrus fruits have citric acid in the juice but the peels have aromatic
> turpenes (d-limonene?) which are a different animal!
>
> If you peel an orange with filthy hands, the stuff squirting out of the
> peel will clean them. Somebody noticed that, observed that peels are to
> the juice business as leather is to meatpacking and a new industry was born!
>
> Yes I worked near a Tropicana plant in Bradenton, quite a sight!
> --
> Andrew Muziwww.yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971- Hide quoted text -

tropicana boasts its own railroad yard

In article
<[email protected]
groups.com>,
landotter <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Nov 17, 2:50 pm, datakoll <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Is green chain cleaning fluid citric acid? as from citrus fruit lemons
> > limes oranges ...

> As the volatility level of this religion thread is sub-par, I suggest
> that people that don't lube with Dupont teflon/wax lube and clean
> chains with Dawn dish soap and a tooth brush are deserving of being
> thrown down the village well.

I clean my chains with liquid freon in a pressure vessel,
then vent the freon when they're clean. Trisodium phosphate
for most of my household cleaning chores. Lead acetate
paint because it is very white and durable.

--
Michael Press

How am I doing?
--Ed Koch

Citric acid is a mild acid. In a cleaning application, it's good for
getting rid of lime deposits in something like an electric coffee
maker. Usually, used in a water solution, I'd think it useless to
harmful for a chain.

Look at food labels and you'll frequently see citric acid. It is a
mild acidulant that helps keep foods from getting molds.

Scott Gordo wrote:

> My bicycle wheels are under tension. So are the bolts holding the bits
> onto the frame. Should I be concerned about sleeping near them?

Your bicycle will be happier if kept in your bedroom. This one currently
resides in mine:
<http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2314/1940444786_21610222bf.jpg?v=0>.

"the grinning buddy bear carries a fork." - g.d.