"City Bike" Hot New Category at Bicycle Industry Show

Paul O wrote:

> Manual chokes are very practical - if you have a carburetor.
> I'll stick with my modern, more reliable fuel-injected engine. Thank you
> very much. ;-)

On a fuel injected engine, it's called a "fast idle knob" and it's
just about as useful. Many diesel trucks still have them.

Chalo

Michael Press wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] (Tom Keats) wrote:

>>> You can make fun of cup holders all you want,

>> Thank you, I will. At least, the mechanised/motorized ones
>> that slide out like a CD player tray. I also like to make
>> fun of electric toothbrushes, electric backscratchers,
>> electric card shufflers, etc. But Western Civilization
>> really hit the skids with the advent of cable TV and handheld
>> remote controls, so people could watch such pap as infomercials
>> about auto-shifting bicycles.

> The right electric toothbrush is a boon. I can get
> better results with less effort, the results measured
> by my dentists reports. The electric toothbrush gives
> me much better results, and I was doing good with the
> (properly chosen) manual toothbrush.
>
> I had always wanted an electric pencil sharpener, and
> the day I got it made me very happy. To this day using
> it makes me happy. Well worth it for me.

If an electric pencil sharpener makes you happy then an electric pencil
eraser will bring you to a state of ecstasy.

Back in the days when young dinosaurs (like myself) roamed the earth, I
had a job working as a mechanical technician and a machinist. I often
worked closely with the designer/draftsmen and I always found it amusing
that the people on the drawings boards used motorized pencil erasers. I
mean, how lazy do you have to be to need a electric eraser?

Later, I moved inside and became a designer/draftsman my self. I quickly
found out that a draftsman (especially one who is low on the totem pole)
spends more time changing and revising existing drawings than working on
new drawings. That is when I learned the real value of having a good
electric eraser (and an eraser shield and a rosin bag).

I miss my trusty old Staedtler-Mars electric eraser. I wonder where it
is now?

--

Paul D Oosterhout
I work for SAIC (but I don't speak for SAIC)

On Oct 1, 11:56 am, Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] (Tom Keats) wrote:
>

> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> writes:

> > That's a crock o' you-know-what, and you know it.

> No, it is not. I am good with a manual toothbrush
> and better with the electric toothbrush. This is
> not about convenience, it is my health.
>
> I work at brushing my teeth and discuss technique
> with my dentist all the time.
>
> --
> Michael Press- Hide quoted text -

I gotta say, this is about the least-surprising thing I've ever heard
you say.

I don't doubt your veracity for a second; it just sounds like a very
Michael Press thing to say. :)

Hank Wirtz wrote:
> On Oct 1, 11:56 am, Michael Press wrote:
>> I work at brushing my teeth and discuss technique
>> with my dentist all the time.

> I gotta say, this is about the least-surprising thing I've ever heard
> you say.
>
> I don't doubt your veracity for a second; it just sounds like a very
> Michael Press thing to say. :)

I do not believe for a second that Michael Press discusses tooth
brushing technique ALL the time with his dentist. [Exit pedantic mode]

A Real Cyclist [TM] keeps at least one bicycle in the bedroom.

In article
<[email protected]>,
Hank Wirtz <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Oct 1, 11:56 am, Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:
>> In article <[email protected]>,
>> [email protected] (Tom Keats) wrote:

>>> That's a crock o' you-know-what, and you know it.

>> No, it is not. I am good with a manual toothbrush
>> and better with the electric toothbrush. This is
>> not about convenience, it is my health.
>>
>> I work at brushing my teeth and discuss technique
>> with my dentist all the time.

> I gotta say, this is about the least-surprising thing I've ever heard
> you say.

It is good to hear that I keep it fresh.

> I don't doubt your veracity for a second; it just sounds like a very
> Michael Press thing to say. :)

Thanks.

--
Michael Press

On Oct 1, 5:16 pm, Paul O <[email protected]> wrote:

> I miss my trusty old Staedtler-Mars electric eraser. I wonder where it
> is now?

Well, I actually have one. NOS. Not sure about the brand, though.

If you're _really_ interested, let me know.

- Frank Krygowski

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 09:24:25 -0700, SMS <[email protected]>
wrote:

>The lights are an issue as the cheaper dyno lights aren't all that
>great, and even the expensive ones aren't bright enough for a lot of
>commute situations.

You prove how dim you are every time you denigrate the lighting
systems that have been in constant use since before you were born.

Grow up.
--
zk

Zoot Katz wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 09:24:25 -0700, SMS <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> The lights are an issue as the cheaper dyno lights aren't all that
>> great, and even the expensive ones aren't bright enough for a lot of
>> commute situations.

> You prove how dim you are every time you denigrate the lighting
> systems that have been in constant use since before you were born.
>
> Grow up.

Very creative snipping to change the context. When you have something
useful to say, without taking things completely out of context, get back
to us.

The complete statement was: "The lights are an issue as the cheaper dyno
lights aren't all that great, and even the expensive ones aren't bright
enough for a lot of commute situations. But you can always supplement
the included dynohub lights with more powerful lights if the situation
demands it."

I don't know _anyone_ that would disagree with that statement, at least
not in the U.S..

[email protected] wrote:
> On Oct 1, 5:16 pm, Paul O <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> I miss my trusty old Staedtler-Mars electric eraser. I wonder where it
>> is now?

> Well, I actually have one. NOS. Not sure about the brand, though.
>
> If you're _really_ interested, let me know.
>
> - Frank Krygowski

Frank,
Nostalgia can be a funny thing. I remember how well my old electric
eraser worked. It did a quick, clean, and thorough job at erasing lines
on mylar and vellum. But the overall activity for which it was designed
to do was a PITA.

A couple of years after I moved to the drawing board, my company
purchased a bunch of PC workstations and a site license for an early DOS
version of AutoCAD (AutoCAD 5?). Before long, all of my drafting tools
were gathering dust in the bottom of a desk drawer and my drafting board
became a big horizontal surface to hold print-outs, books, and catalogs.
The simple truth was that preparing drawings with a CAD program was much
easier, faster, and more accurate than doing it by hand. And I could
erase hundreds of lines with an "E" command and a few mouse clicks.

That job ended and I moved on. I still have some of my drafting tools
but I never use them. And, I still use AutoCAD a fair amount (I'm up to
release 2008 now). So I probably would never use my old Staedtler-Mars
eraser even if I still had it.

Thanks, but some things are better left in the past...

--

On Oct 2, 11:23 am, Paul O <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > On Oct 1, 5:16 pm, Paul O <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> I miss my trusty old Staedtler-Mars electric eraser. I wonder where it
> >> is now?

> > Well, I actually have one. NOS. Not sure about the brand, though.

> > If you're _really_ interested, let me know.

> > - Frank Krygowski

> Frank,
> Nostalgia can be a funny thing. I remember how well my old electric
> eraser worked. It did a quick, clean, and thorough job at erasing lines
> on mylar and vellum. But the overall activity for which it was designed
> to do was a PITA.
>
> A couple of years after I moved to the drawing board, my company
> purchased a bunch of PC workstations and a site license for an early DOS
> version of AutoCAD (AutoCAD 5?). Before long, all of my drafting tools
> were gathering dust in the bottom of a desk drawer and my drafting board
> became a big horizontal surface to hold print-outs, books, and catalogs.
> The simple truth was that preparing drawings with a CAD program was much
> easier, faster, and more accurate than doing it by hand. And I could
> erase hundreds of lines with an "E" command and a few mouse clicks.
>
> That job ended and I moved on. I still have some of my drafting tools
> but I never use them. And, I still use AutoCAD a fair amount (I'm up to
> release 2008 now). So I probably would never use my old Staedtler-Mars
> eraser even if I still had it.
>
> Thanks, but some things are better left in the past...

Yep. I understand completely. Sometimes nostalgia isn't all it's cut
out to be.

Honestly, the real reason I have that electric eraser is that it (and
a dozen clones) were being thrown out because CAD had made them
obsolete. I thought: "Hmm. Electric motor, collet chuck - that might
come in handy for _something_!" But it's languished in a drawer
unused ever since.

However, I note that for small, one-off drawings, I'm still faster
drawing with pencil and paper than I am with AutoCAD or its
competitors!

- Frank Krygowski

Sun, 30 Sep 2007 14:04:29 -0500, BobT:

>Your comment stimulated me to look at the B&M site. Looks like a really
>great light. I might want to replace my Schmidt E6 and B&M Lumotec N Plus
>halogen lights with this LED light depending on the price.
>
>Do you know anything about when and where I could buy one of these lights.
>I live in the U.S.A.. Searching the B&M site and Peter White's site didn't
>help answer this question.

The Fly IQ in its different versions will be available in german shops
around the end of october AFAIK. It usually will take another month or so
until the lights might also be sold in other countries. Prices are in the
60-75 Euro range. With the weak US-$ and the small quantities exported to
the US prices have to be higher abroad.

Andreas