City of Melbourne: Draft Bicycle Plan

cfsmtb

New Member
Apr 11, 2003
4,963
fyi - considering recent discussion about cycling in Melbourne. ;)

****

Draft Bicycle Plan 2007 - 2011
http://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/info.cfm?top=70&pa=1154&pg=3302
The City of Melbourne has produced a draft Bicycle Plan 2007-2011 and is inviting public feedback on the plan until Friday, 17 November 2006.

Download a copy of the draft plan here:

PDF Draft Bicycle Plan 2007-2011 (315kb) Opens in a new window
http://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/rsr.../BicyclePlan2007-2011DraftForConsultation.pdf

RTF Draft Bicycle Plan 2007-2011 (423kb) Opens in a new window
http://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/rsr.../BicyclePlan2007-2011DraftForConsultation.DOC

What the draft Bicycle Plan 2007-2011 is about

The draft Bicycle Plan 2007-2011 lists the improvements to the on-road and off-road bicycle network that have been made in the past five years.

Despite it's many links, the bicycle path network is limited by gaps that affect the flow of the cycling experience and a lack of separation between cyclists and motorists on different parts of the network.

The plan details physical improvements to bicycle routes designed to improve safety, way-finding and connectivity. It commits the City of Melbourne to an education campaign directed at motorists and cyclists that focuses on making cycling safer.

The plan also details a role for the City of Melbourne in:

* providing improved bicycle facilities;
* evaluating the success of the Plan; and
* seeking a stronger dialogue with cyclists.

Have your say

Comments on the draft Bicycle Plan 2007-2011 will be received until Friday, 17 November 2006.

You can send your comments to:

City of Melbourne
PO Box 1603
Melbourne VIC 3001

or enquiriesATmelbourne.vic.gov.au

You can also request a hard copy of the draft strategy by contacting the City of Melbourne on (03) 9658 9658.

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 11:59:01 +1000, cfsmtb wrote:

> Download a copy of the draft plan here:

thanks.

Looks rather sensible, practical and well thought out, unlike Sydney.

The number of doorings on Swanson st is very high. What is happening with
the proposed Copenhagen lanes there?

"The State Government¢s Metropolitan Transport Plan (2004) has identified
that Melbourne¢s road network is very congested. This is particularly the
case at peak times." Gee I wish I could get paid to do ground breaking
research like that!

> PDF Draft Bicycle Plan 2007-2011 (315kb) Opens in a new window
> http://tinyurl.com/hkjrs
>
> RTF Draft Bicycle Plan 2007-2011 (423kb) Opens in a new window
> http://tinyurl.com/onxt3

The pdf is smaller than the rtf? wtf!
Ah the pdf is f'd.

dewatf.

Not really enough time to read all 31 pages properly, but flicked through it quickly and the very last line caught my attention.....

> Kensington Action Plan
> <snipped>
> - Promote the benefits of walking & cycling by supporting
> Ride to Work Day and the Great Melbourne Bike Ride.

Great Melb Bike Ride eh? Methnks someone rehashed an action plan from 2004 (that was the last GMBR I think???....

"Snuffy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Not really enough time to read all 31 pages properly, but flicked
> through it quickly and the very last line caught my attention.....
>
> > Kensington Action Plan
> > <snipped>
> > - Promote the benefits of walking & cycling by supporting
> > Ride to Work Day and the Great Melbourne Bike Ride.

> Great Melb Bike Ride eh? Methnks someone rehashed an action plan from
> 2004 (that was the last GMBR I think???....
>

> --
> Snuffy

And now the press is all over soutbank and the 10km speed signs. Seriously
10kms an hour! How about just signs saying "Ride responsibly" ????

Also the demolition of tram super stops. I got card doored 3 times the
other week by passengers getting out of cars in traffic!

Swanston st is a nightmare because of the pedestrians. That and any
intersection with a little st (lt Collins) etc. Traffic is at the mercy of
people that act like sheep and most don't even look and get shocked THEN
angry!

The guards/railing around the corner of Flinders and Swantson have worked
great to control foot trafic and might have a place on other street corners
despite being ugly. Obviously people can't cross the road properly.

The enforcement of parking in bike lanes and clear ways needs to improve
also. Only on King st after 4pm do I see it done well.

On 2006-09-27, vintage (aka Bruce)
> And now the press is all over soutbank and the 10km speed signs. Seriously
> 10kms an hour! How about just signs saying "Ride responsibly" ????

If people, as a group, could ride/drive responsibly, do you think
there'd be "trees close to road" signs put up on all country roads?

> Also the demolition of tram super stops. I got card doored 3 times the
> other week by passengers getting out of cars in traffic!

Claim the lane. Don't ride in the door zone.

> Swanston st is a nightmare because of the pedestrians. That and any
> intersection with a little st (lt Collins) etc. Traffic is at the mercy of
> people that act like sheep and most don't even look and get shocked THEN
> angry!

Probably because so many cyclists blow red lights on swanston st that
pedestrians think we are not real traffic, and we have to give way to
crossing foot traffic whether they've got the red light or not.

There is so very little discipline from *all* parties (as a group --
there may be individuals who obey the rules) on swanston st -- the
peds, the bikes, the taxi drivers and passengers.

--
TimC
Hell - n. The current residence of Mr. Noah Webster, Lexicographer.

"TimC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 2006-09-27, vintage (aka Bruce)
> > And now the press is all over soutbank and the 10km speed signs.

Seriously
> > 10kms an hour! How about just signs saying "Ride responsibly" ????

> If people, as a group, could ride/drive responsibly, do you think
> there'd be "trees close to road" signs put up on all country roads?
>
> > Also the demolition of tram super stops. I got card doored 3 times the
> > other week by passengers getting out of cars in traffic!

> Claim the lane. Don't ride in the door zone.

Well the law states that when traffic is stationary I can pas on the left.
That and the white stripe give bikes a small lane to go up on the
Coll/Swanston one ;-) Getting out of a car whilst is trafic is offense. We
now use the tram zone and the cops have giving us the blessing to do so if
we take care.

> > Swanston st is a nightmare because of the pedestrians. That and any
> > intersection with a little st (lt Collins) etc. Traffic is at the mercy

of
> > people that act like sheep and most don't even look and get shocked THEN
> > angry!

> Probably because so many cyclists blow red lights on swanston st that
> pedestrians think we are not real traffic, and we have to give way to
> crossing foot traffic whether they've got the red light or not.

A wrong by another bike rider doesn't make all wrong. I find it when they
look at you and still cross in front of you pretty ballsy.

On 2006-09-27, vintage (aka Bruce)
> "TimC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> > Also the demolition of tram super stops. I got card doored 3 times the
>> > other week by passengers getting out of cars in traffic!

>> Claim the lane. Don't ride in the door zone.

> Well the law states that when traffic is stationary I can pas on the left.
> That and the white stripe give bikes a small lane to go up on the
> Coll/Swanston one ;-)

Ah, you're still talking about swanston st.

> Getting out of a car whilst is trafic is offense. We
> now use the tram zone and the cops have giving us the blessing to do so if
> we take care.

Heh. I don't quite know why swanston is so popular. I prefered to
take my chances of one of the other grid roads. Spring st is good if
you are coming from the east (not much of a gradient either).

>> > Swanston st is a nightmare because of the pedestrians. That and any
>> > intersection with a little st (lt Collins) etc. Traffic is at the mercy

> of
>> > people that act like sheep and most don't even look and get shocked THEN
>> > angry!

>> Probably because so many cyclists blow red lights on swanston st that
>> pedestrians think we are not real traffic, and we have to give way to
>> crossing foot traffic whether they've got the red light or not.

> A wrong by another bike rider doesn't make all wrong. I find it when they
> look at you and still cross in front of you pretty ballsy.

Yup. I would love to know what is or isn't going through their heads
when they decide to cross. They're more important than you anyway --
they're wearing a suit!

--
TimC
C Code.

"vintage" wrote:

> Well the law states that when traffic is stationary I can pas on the left.

That is correct.

> That and the white stripe give bikes a small lane to go up on the
> Coll/Swanston one ;-) Getting out of a car whilst is trafic is offense.

Intrigued by this comment. Do you have a reference to this rule? While I
don't think it is good practice, I do believe it is not illegal. Having a
look at the Vicroads site I could find no such rule in the road rules. The
only thing that was relevant was Rule 269 pt(3):

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrpdf/randl/part_16.pdf
PART 16-RULES FOR PERSONS TRAVELLING IN OR ON VEHICLES

<snip>

269. Opening doors and getting out of a vehicle etc.

(1) A person must not get off, or out of, a moving vehicle, unless the
person is

engaged in the door-to-door delivery or collection of goods, or in the
collection

of waste or garbage, and the vehicle is not travelling over 5 kilometres per

hour.

Penalty: 1 penalty unit.

Note 1 Vehicle is defined in rule 15.

Note 2 Rule 237 deals with persons getting on, or into, a moving vehicle.

(2) Subrule (1) does not apply to a person getting off a bicycle or animal.

(3) A person must not cause a hazard to any person or vehicle by opening a
door

of a vehicle, leaving a door of a vehicle open, or getting off, or out of, a
vehicle.

Penalty: 2 penalty units.

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Peter Signorini" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "vintage" wrote:
>
> > Well the law states that when traffic is stationary I can pas on the

left.

> That is correct.
>
> > That and the white stripe give bikes a small lane to go up on the
> > Coll/Swanston one ;-) Getting out of a car whilst is trafic is offense.

> Intrigued by this comment. Do you have a reference to this rule? While I
> don't think it is good practice, I do believe it is not illegal. Having a
> look at the Vicroads site I could find no such rule in the road rules. The
> only thing that was relevant was Rule 269 pt(3):
>
> http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrpdf/randl/part_16.pdf
> PART 16-RULES FOR PERSONS TRAVELLING IN OR ON VEHICLES
>
> <snip>
>
> 269. Opening doors and getting out of a vehicle etc.
>
> (1) A person must not get off, or out of, a moving vehicle, unless the
> person is
>
> engaged in the door-to-door delivery or collection of goods, or in the
> collection
>
> of waste or garbage, and the vehicle is not travelling over 5 kilometres

per

> hour.
>
> Penalty: 1 penalty unit.
>
> Note 1 Vehicle is defined in rule 15.
>
> Note 2 Rule 237 deals with persons getting on, or into, a moving vehicle.
>
> (2) Subrule (1) does not apply to a person getting off a bicycle or

animal.

> (3) A person must not cause a hazard to any person or vehicle by opening a
> door
>
> of a vehicle, leaving a door of a vehicle open, or getting off, or out of,

> vehicle.
>
> Penalty: 2 penalty units.
>

> --
> Cheers
> Peter
>
> ~~~ ~ _@
> ~~ ~ _- \,
> ~~ (*)/ (*)

Yeah I've been working with the pushbike police on behelf of myself and
other bike couriers. It is an offence just like getting out of a taxi on
the right hand road side too.

They too hate the tram super stops.

"vintage" wrote:

> Yeah I've been working with the pushbike police on behelf of myself and
> other bike couriers. It is an offence just like getting out of a taxi on
> the right hand road side too.

Uh-huh. Can you cite the specific rule in question? Because I've looked and
found no such rule.

I'd love to clarify the legality of my own activities.

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Peter Signorini" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "vintage" wrote:
>
> > Yeah I've been working with the pushbike police on behelf of myself and
> > other bike couriers. It is an offence just like getting out of a taxi

on
> > the right hand road side too.

> Uh-huh. Can you cite the specific rule in question? Because I've looked

and
> found no such rule.
>
> I'd love to clarify the legality of my own activities.

Well every time I've mentioned it to the pushbike police they have agreed.
Passengers in town have to alight on the non road side from what I've been
told.

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 16:11:08 +1000, Peter Signorini wrote:

> Uh-huh. Can you cite the specific rule in question? Because I've looked and
> found no such rule.
>
> I'd love to clarify the legality of my own activities.

269.3 A person must not cause a hazard to any person or veicle by opening a
door of vehicle, leaving a door of vehicle open or getting off, or out of,
a vehicle.

There are also offenses for obstructing traffic and double parking that
would come into play in certain situtations.

dewatf.

"dewatf" wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 16:11:08 +1000, Peter Signorini wrote:

> 269.3 A person must not cause a hazard to any person or veicle by opening
> door of vehicle, leaving a door of vehicle open or getting off, or out of,
> a vehicle.

Yep. Got that, quoted in previous post.

> There are also offenses for obstructing traffic and double parking that
> would come into play in certain situtations.

But none of this makes it illegal for a passenger to get out of a car that
is stopped in stationery traffic (eg. at red light) provided they don't
throw the door open in a cyclist/motorcyclist's face. And I don't see why it
should be illegal for a passenger to get out of the rhs door of a taxi when
it has stopped, I mean any driver has to do this normally, and I don't think
the 'nanny-state' has got up to telling people which door of their car they
can get out of. But this may be covered under taxi-specific regs I realise.
They set some tight standards for drivers I know.

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@