City of Stuttgart fights doping ?????!?!?!?! :o/

whiteboytrash

Mar 9, 2005
Also on Wednesday, the Stuttgart city council said it would sue the ruling body UCI for 1 million euros if Italian riders Danilo di Luca and Paolo Bettini were allowed to compete on Sunday.

The Giro d'Italia winner Di Luca has been linked with doping while the reigning world champion Bettini was given a 1500 GMT deadline to sign a voluntary athletes declaration for a clean sport.

Stuttgart organizers said they feared sponsor and TV network withdrawals if the riders are in Sunday's race.

whiteboytrash said:
Also on Wednesday, the Stuttgart city council said it would sue the ruling body UCI for 1 million euros if Italian riders Danilo di Luca and Paolo Bettini were allowed to compete on Sunday.

The Giro d'Italia winner Di Luca has been linked with doping while the reigning world champion Bettini was given a 1500 GMT deadline to sign a voluntary athletes declaration for a clean sport.

Stuttgart organizers said they feared sponsor and TV network withdrawals if the riders are in Sunday's race.
Since I live in the US, I am going to sue over the mental stress not having clean races to watch has caused. Having diversions is a right, not a privelage, and I am sure that if I seek at least $300 millino in damages, the UCI, ASO, or someone will settle for a million eventually. Is this a great country or what?

thoughtforfood said:
Since I live in the US, I am going to sue over the mental stress not having clean races to watch has caused. Having diversions is a right, not a privelage, and I am sure that if I seek at least $300 millino in damages, the UCI, ASO, or someone will settle for a million eventually. Is this a great country or what?
friggin Germans have gone mad ! I sue Jan Ullrich for his bad earring and Lance Armstrong for his diabolical fashion sense......... fark me.... Valverde case in front of CAS today.... wonder how he went.....

whiteboytrash said:
friggin Germans have gone mad ! I sue Jan Ullrich for his bad earring and Lance Armstrong for his diabolical fashion sense......... fark me.... Valverde case in front of CAS today.... wonder how he went.....
From Cyclingnews.com:
"Spanish sports paper Marca reported on Tuesday the judge, Antonio Serrano, issued a legal certificate stating that Valverde is not implicated in Puerto. This certificate contradicted the request of the lawyers for the UCI, who asked the Spanish cycling federation to open a case against Valverde, based on the evidence seized in the matter.

Serrano declared that the Spanish rider will be innocent until proven guilty, while the UCI maintained that the fact there is an open investigation will prevent Valverde from participating in Sunday's road race. The certification is expected to have heavy influence on the CAS ruling."

Isn't Serrano the guy who has blocked use of the OP documents use in any investigations? It's brilliant. Valverde is innocent until proven guilty, but no one is allowed to do the investigation or have a "trial" that could prove his guilt except apparently Serrano.

Seems like the CAS decision will mostly be about the authority of UCI/WADA over National Federations or National Courts to establish a "doping investigation".

Shoot this is getting really insane, I saw in Cn that Eddy Merckx has also been declared a persona no grata in Stuttgart...Madness!

Polyheme.boost said:
No worries.

A doper will win this race.

They always do.
Ahh. The new FF. I love my ignore list.

In any event, Di Luca will not race. I suspect that Bettini will sign.

I think the UCI should be banned from the World Championship........

Maybe if none of the riders showed up ........??????/

whiteboytrash said:

There have been reports that Sinkewitz said he was first supplied his testosterone gels by Mapei teammates, one of whom was a certain current world champion. You saw the way the German TV companies reacted during the tour when the Sinkewitz news first broke. Just as well a Polish rider didn't give him the gels, they might have invaded. Tacit racism aside, I can see their point. Who wants to be the host of the Worlds in the year when the champ is a doper? Er, hang on, isn't the champ a doper every year? Over to you Hemopure/Doc.House...

whiteboytrash said:

seems everyone wants to be part of the cycling bun fight - not just UCI and grand tour organisers, now the don't think stuttgart mayor wants in! not doing herself any favours with her stance. actually agree with mcquaid on this one.

Tor said:
seems everyone wants to be part of the cycling bun fight - not just UCI and grand tour organisers, now the don't think stuttgart mayor wants in! not doing herself any favours with her stance. actually agree with mcquaid on this one.
The TV network set to delve out video feed of the race threatened to shut it down (which it did in the tour) Sunday if Bettini raced. Looks like past any threats from anyone else, this is the biggest concern right now.

thoughtforfood said:
The TV network set to delve out video feed of the race threatened to shut it down (which it did in the tour) Sunday if Bettini raced. Looks like past any threats from anyone else, this is the biggest concern right now.
totally agree.

all in all, don't think this seaon can get any more farcical than it is right now. apparently at the presentation for next year's worlds, one of the italian hosts asked for a reduction of basso's suspension while on stage with mcquaid. eveyone's trying to upstage eveyone else and it does no good.

can't believe i'm gonna say this but maybe the tv network pulling out might be a good thing. might give this sport something to think about as it goes into its winter break so we can all come back next season in a spirit of co-operation.

Rolfrae said:
There have been reports that Sinkewitz said he was first supplied his testosterone gels by Mapei teammates, one of whom was a certain current world champion. You saw the way the German TV companies reacted during the tour when the Sinkewitz news first broke. Just as well a Polish rider didn't give him the gels, they might have invaded. Tacit racism aside, I can see their point. Who wants to be the host of the Worlds in the year when the champ is a doper? Er, hang on, isn't the champ a doper every year? Over to you Hemopure/Doc.House...
Now Sinkewitz and his lawyer are on the record as having denied ever mentioning/involving Bettini in anything. :confused: Or so the Italian press and Tv is stating. And Bettini is riding tomorrow. Or so they say. :confused::confused:

Powerful Pete said:
Now Sinkewitz and his lawyer are on the record as having denied ever mentioning/involving Bettini in anything. :confused: Or so the Italian press and Tv is stating. And Bettini is riding tomorrow. Or so they say. :confused::confused:

PP - did you catch the womens RR this morning?
20yo Italian lady won it : broke away from the group in the last 2kms and group
failed to budge.
Lovely win - nice to see a bit of emotion on the podium too.

She'll be the toast of Italia!

limerickman said:
PP - did you catch the womens RR this morning?
20yo Italian lady won it : broke away from the group in the last 2kms and group
failed to budge.
Lovely win - nice to see a bit of emotion on the podium too.

She'll be the toast of Italia!
Yes, I did (and started a thread on this, but not many takers). She is from a small town near Rome, a local girl (not one of the usual northerners who monopolise the sport here in Italy) so I am doubly proud! :D