City Requires Helmets for all Bicycle Riders

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by F. Golightly, Mar 3, 2003.

  1. F. Golightly

    F. Golightly Guest

    Update March 3, 2003

    City Requires Helmets for all Bicycle Riders

    The City of Lake Forest Park and the Cascade Bike Club will be providing $8 helmets and fittings on
    March 25, 2003 between 3-6 PM at Third Place Commons in the Towne Centre Shopping Center. This
    effort is to help everyone comply with the new City ordinance requiring all bike riders to wear
    helmets on public streets in Lake Forest Park.

    “We know bike helmets save lives. We are eager to make helmets available to everyone at a moderate
    cost.” said Mayor Hutchinson. Staff from Harborview Injury Prevention and Research Center has found
    that helmets decrease the risk of head injury by 85% and brain injury by 88%.

    Helmet fittings and reduce cost helmets will be available again at Picnic in the Park July 26 in the
    Town Centre.

    <fini paste

    Tags:

  2. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    F. Golightly wrote:

    > Update March 3, 2003
    >
    > City Requires Helmets for all Bicycle Riders
    >
    > The City of Lake Forest Park and the Cascade Bike Club will be providing $8 helmets and fittings
    > on March 25, 2003 between 3-6 PM at Third Place Commons in the Towne Centre Shopping Center. This
    > effort is to help everyone comply with the new City ordinance requiring all bike riders to wear
    > helmets on public streets in Lake Forest Park.
    >
    > “We know bike helmets save lives. We are eager to make helmets available to everyone at a moderate
    > cost.” said Mayor Hutchinson. Staff from Harborview Injury Prevention and Research Center has
    > found that helmets decrease the risk of head injury by 85% and brain injury by 88%.
    >
    > Helmet fittings and reduce cost helmets will be available again at Picnic in the Park July 26 in
    > the Town Centre.
    >
    > <fini paste>

    It must be in Britain. Look at how they spell center.
    --
    Ron Hardin [email protected]

  3. >It must be in Britain. Look at how they spell center.

    No, not over here in Old Blighty. Over here lids are not compulsory, but are *advisory* in the
    Highway Code (Rule 45) see http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/03.shtml

    Cheers, helen s

    p.s. We, over here on this side of the pond, spell centre correctly, it's just you lot on
    t'other side of the water who can't spell it correctly. Oh, what's that - it's my tongue in
    my cheek ;-)

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  4. In article <[email protected]>, Ron Hardin <[email protected]> wrote:
    >F. Golightly wrote:
    >>
    >> Update March 3, 2003
    >>
    >> City Requires Helmets for all Bicycle Riders
    >>
    >> The City of Lake Forest Park and the Cascade Bike Club will be providing $8 helmets and fittings
    >> on March 25, 2003 between 3-6 PM at Third Place Commons in the Towne Centre Shopping Center. This
    >> effort is to help everyone comply with the new City ordinance requiring all bike riders to wear
    >> helmets on public streets in Lake Forest Park.
    >>
    >> “We know bike helmets save lives. We are eager to make helmets available to everyone at a
    >> moderate cost.” said Mayor Hutchinson. Staff from Harborview Injury Prevention and Research
    >> Center has found that helmets decrease the risk of head injury by 85% and brain injury by 88%.
    >>
    >> Helmet fittings and reduce cost helmets will be available again at Picnic in the Park July 26 in
    >> the Town Centre.
    >>
    >> <fini paste>
    >
    >It must be in Britain. Look at how they spell center.

    http://www.cityoflfp.com/

    --Paul

  5. Jon Isaacs

    Jon Isaacs Guest

    >p.s. We, over here on this side of the pond, spell centre correctly, it's just you lot on
    > t'other side of the water who can't spell it correctly. Oh, what's that - it's my tongue in
    > my cheek ;-)

    Are you sure that on your side of the "watre" you spell "centre" correctly???

    Jon Isaacs

  6. In message <[email protected]>, Ron Hardin <[email protected]> writes
    >F. Golightly wrote:
    >>Staff from Harborview Injury Prevention and Research Center
    >>
    >> Town Centre.
    >
    >It must be in Britain. Look at how they spell center.

    No, they must be mid-Atlantic. They can't make up their minds.
    --
    Michael MacClancy

  7. In message <[email protected]>, Jon Isaacs <[email protected]> writes
    >>p.s. We, over here on this side of the pond, spell centre correctly, it's just you lot on t'other
    >> side of the water who can't spell it correctly. Oh, what's that - it's my tongue in my cheek
    >> ;-)
    >
    >Are you sure that on your side of the "watre" you spell "centre" correctly???
    >
    >Jon Isaacs

    Yes.
    --
    Michael MacClancy

  8. Pete

    Pete Guest

    "F. Golightly" <[email protected]> wrote
    > Update March 3, 2003
    >
    > City Requires Helmets for all Bicycle Riders
    >
    > The City of Lake Forest Park and the Cascade Bike Club will be providing
    $8
    > helmets and fittings on March 25, 2003 between 3-6 PM at Third Place
    Commons
    > in the Towne Centre Shopping Center. This effort is to help everyone
    comply
    > with the new City ordinance requiring all bike riders to wear helmets on public streets in Lake
    > Forest Park.
    >
    > "We know bike helmets save lives. We are eager to make helmets available
    > everyone at a moderate cost." said Mayor Hutchinson. Staff from
    Harborview
    > Injury Prevention and Research Center has found that helmets decrease the risk of head injury by
    > 85% and brain injury by 88%.
    >
    > Helmet fittings and reduce cost helmets will be available again at Picnic
    in
    > the Park July 26 in the Town Centre.
    >
    > <fini paste>

    In going through the minutes of their council meetings at
    http://www.cityoflfp.com/city/ccminutes/ccmin20030213.pdf , this ws originally supposed to be for
    bikes, skateboards, scooters, and roller skates. They struck all but bikes.

    And, they had a briefing from Dr. Rivera http://www.cityoflfp.com/city/ccminutes/ccmin20020919.html
    , of the much maligned Harborview study. "85% reduction??? My GOD! How can we NOT pass this
    ordinance???"

    One wonders, when in 5 years a review shows little or no actual reduction, whether they will abolish
    this silly rule? Or will they even bother to look? Doubtful to both.

    Pete

  9. Jon Isaacs

    Jon Isaacs Guest

    >Yes.

    Then I guess you have been spelling water wrong for quite sometime. <g>

    jon

  10. The number of head injuries to bicyclists in Lakewood Park will undoubtedly be reduced by this
    helmet "law", because the use of bicycles will greatly decline. Numbskulls.

    Steve McDonald

  11. On Mon, 3 Mar 2003 11:53:32 -0800, "F. Golightly" <[email protected]> said:

    >Update March 3, 2003
    >
    >City Requires Helmets for all Bicycle Riders

    Oh wow! Another law for me to break!

    (What state is this, by the way?)

    --

    I think. Therefore, I am not a conservative! ------ http://www.todayslastword.org -------

  12. >Zeke<

    >Zeke< Guest

    "Something Stinks In Here" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Mon, 3 Mar 2003 11:53:32 -0800, "F. Golightly" <[email protected]> said:
    >
    > >Update March 3, 2003
    > >
    > >City Requires Helmets for all Bicycle Riders
    >
    > Oh wow! Another law for me to break!
    >
    > (What state is this, by the way?)
    >
    > --
    >
    > I think. Therefore, I am not a conservative! ------ http://www.todayslastword.org -------

    Washington State... or the peoples republic of Washington

  13. On Mon, 3 Mar 2003 22:12:08 -0700, ">Zeke<" <[email protected]> said:

    >Washington State...

    I don't think I'll be able to challenge this law any time soon then.

    Any towns near Cincinnati have a law like this?

    --

    I think. Therefore, I am not a conservative! ------ http://www.todayslastword.org -------

  14. >Are you sure that on your side of the "watre" you spell "centre" correctly???

    >Jon Isaacs

    Oh absolutely :)

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  15. Pete

    Pete Guest

  16. >Then I guess you have been spelling water wrong for quite sometime. <g>

    Nah - water is water, centre is centre ;-)

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  17. On Tue, 04 Mar 2003 06:44:12 GMT, "Pete" <[email protected]> said:

    >Actually, the City of Wyoming shot down a helmet law last spring.
    >http://enquirer.com/editions/2002/04/17/loc_wyoming_rejects.html

    That law wouldn't have affected someone who's 30 years old like I am though. But still the law was a
    stupid idea.

    About 15 years ago someone told me that The Village Of Indian Hill (actually not a "village" since
    it's over 5,000) had a law like this for bicyclers of all ages, but I think that's just a suburban
    legend. Besides that I don't think my economic group is welcome in Indian Hill anyway.

    --

    I think. Therefore, I am not a conservative! ------ http://www.todayslastword.org -------

  18. Jon Isaacs

    Jon Isaacs Guest

    >Nah - water is water, centre is centre ;-)
    >
    >Cheers, helen s

    Are you sure its not:

    Watre is watre, center is center?

    Jon Isaacs

  19. H. M. Leary

    H. M. Leary Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Jon Isaacs) wrote:

    > >Nah - water is water, centre is centre ;-)
    > >
    > >Cheers, helen s
    >
    > Are you sure its not:
    >
    > Watre is watre, center is center?
    >
    > Jon Isaacs

    All of this reminds me, as did that great soothsayer of all things bicycle, Capt.Sheldon Brown,
    about W. C. Fields comments on water...

    Watre is much better as is al- u- min-ium ( for bicycles )

    HAND

  20. "Ron Hardin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > F. Golightly wrote:
    > >
    > > Update March 3, 2003
    > >
    > > City Requires Helmets for all Bicycle Riders
    > >
    > > The City of Lake Forest Park and the Cascade Bike Club will be providing
    $8
    > > helmets and fittings on March 25, 2003 between 3-6 PM at Third Place
    Commons
    > > in the Towne Centre Shopping Center. This effort is to help everyone
    comply
    > > with the new City ordinance requiring all bike riders to wear helmets on public streets in Lake
    > > Forest Park.
    > >
    > > "We know bike helmets save lives. We are eager to make helmets available
    > > everyone at a moderate cost." said Mayor Hutchinson. Staff from
    Harborview
    > > Injury Prevention and Research Center has found that helmets decrease
    the
    > > risk of head injury by 85% and brain injury by 88%.
    > >
    > > Helmet fittings and reduce cost helmets will be available again at
    Picnic in
    > > the Park July 26 in the Town Centre.
    > >
    > > <fini paste>
    >
    > It must be in Britain. Look at how they spell center.
    > --
    > Ron Hardin [email protected]
    >
    > On the internet, nobody knows you're a jerk.

    I see they spelled it both ways.... "Towne Centre Shopping Center"

    How does that tell one they must be in UK?