City Requires Helmets for all Bicycle Riders

F. Golightly

Guest
Update March 3, 2003

City Requires Helmets for all Bicycle Riders

The City of Lake Forest Park and the Cascade Bike Club will be providing $8 helmets and fittings on
March 25, 2003 between 3-6 PM at Third Place Commons in the Towne Centre Shopping Center. This
effort is to help everyone comply with the new City ordinance requiring all bike riders to wear
helmets on public streets in Lake Forest Park.

“We know bike helmets save lives. We are eager to make helmets available to everyone at a moderate
cost.” said Mayor Hutchinson. Staff from Harborview Injury Prevention and Research Center has found
that helmets decrease the risk of head injury by 85% and brain injury by 88%.

Helmet fittings and reduce cost helmets will be available again at Picnic in the Park July 26 in the
Town Centre.

<fini paste

F. Golightly wrote:

> Update March 3, 2003
>
> City Requires Helmets for all Bicycle Riders
>
> The City of Lake Forest Park and the Cascade Bike Club will be providing $8 helmets and fittings
> on March 25, 2003 between 3-6 PM at Third Place Commons in the Towne Centre Shopping Center. This
> effort is to help everyone comply with the new City ordinance requiring all bike riders to wear
> helmets on public streets in Lake Forest Park.
>
> “We know bike helmets save lives. We are eager to make helmets available to everyone at a moderate
> cost.” said Mayor Hutchinson. Staff from Harborview Injury Prevention and Research Center has
> found that helmets decrease the risk of head injury by 85% and brain injury by 88%.
>
> Helmet fittings and reduce cost helmets will be available again at Picnic in the Park July 26 in
> the Town Centre.
>
> <fini paste>

It must be in Britain. Look at how they spell center.
--
Ron Hardin [email protected]

>It must be in Britain. Look at how they spell center.

No, not over here in Old Blighty. Over here lids are not compulsory, but are *advisory* in the
Highway Code (Rule 45) see http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/03.shtml

Cheers, helen s

p.s. We, over here on this side of the pond, spell centre correctly, it's just you lot on
t'other side of the water who can't spell it correctly. Oh, what's that - it's my tongue in
my cheek ;-)

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

In article <[email protected]>, Ron Hardin <[email protected]> wrote:
>F. Golightly wrote:
>>
>> Update March 3, 2003
>>
>> City Requires Helmets for all Bicycle Riders
>>
>> The City of Lake Forest Park and the Cascade Bike Club will be providing $8 helmets and fittings
>> on March 25, 2003 between 3-6 PM at Third Place Commons in the Towne Centre Shopping Center. This
>> effort is to help everyone comply with the new City ordinance requiring all bike riders to wear
>> helmets on public streets in Lake Forest Park.
>>
>> “We know bike helmets save lives. We are eager to make helmets available to everyone at a
>> moderate cost.” said Mayor Hutchinson. Staff from Harborview Injury Prevention and Research
>> Center has found that helmets decrease the risk of head injury by 85% and brain injury by 88%.
>>
>> Helmet fittings and reduce cost helmets will be available again at Picnic in the Park July 26 in
>> the Town Centre.
>>
>> <fini paste>
>
>It must be in Britain. Look at how they spell center.

http://www.cityoflfp.com/

--Paul

>p.s. We, over here on this side of the pond, spell centre correctly, it's just you lot on
> t'other side of the water who can't spell it correctly. Oh, what's that - it's my tongue in
> my cheek ;-)

Are you sure that on your side of the "watre" you spell "centre" correctly???

Jon Isaacs

In message <[email protected]>, Ron Hardin <[email protected]> writes
>F. Golightly wrote:
>>Staff from Harborview Injury Prevention and Research Center
>>
>> Town Centre.
>
>It must be in Britain. Look at how they spell center.

No, they must be mid-Atlantic. They can't make up their minds.
--
Michael MacClancy

In message <[email protected]>, Jon Isaacs <[email protected]> writes
>>p.s. We, over here on this side of the pond, spell centre correctly, it's just you lot on t'other
>> side of the water who can't spell it correctly. Oh, what's that - it's my tongue in my cheek
>> ;-)
>
>Are you sure that on your side of the "watre" you spell "centre" correctly???
>
>Jon Isaacs

Yes.
--
Michael MacClancy

"F. Golightly" <[email protected]> wrote
> Update March 3, 2003
>
> City Requires Helmets for all Bicycle Riders
>
> The City of Lake Forest Park and the Cascade Bike Club will be providing
$8
> helmets and fittings on March 25, 2003 between 3-6 PM at Third Place
Commons
> in the Towne Centre Shopping Center. This effort is to help everyone
comply
> with the new City ordinance requiring all bike riders to wear helmets on public streets in Lake
> Forest Park.
>
> "We know bike helmets save lives. We are eager to make helmets available
> everyone at a moderate cost." said Mayor Hutchinson. Staff from
Harborview
> Injury Prevention and Research Center has found that helmets decrease the risk of head injury by
> 85% and brain injury by 88%.
>
> Helmet fittings and reduce cost helmets will be available again at Picnic
in
> the Park July 26 in the Town Centre.
>
> <fini paste>

In going through the minutes of their council meetings at
http://www.cityoflfp.com/city/ccminutes/ccmin20030213.pdf , this ws originally supposed to be for
bikes, skateboards, scooters, and roller skates. They struck all but bikes.

And, they had a briefing from Dr. Rivera http://www.cityoflfp.com/city/ccminutes/ccmin20020919.html
, of the much maligned Harborview study. "85% reduction??? My GOD! How can we NOT pass this
ordinance???"

One wonders, when in 5 years a review shows little or no actual reduction, whether they will abolish
this silly rule? Or will they even bother to look? Doubtful to both.

Pete

>Yes.

Then I guess you have been spelling water wrong for quite sometime. <g>

jon

The number of head injuries to bicyclists in Lakewood Park will undoubtedly be reduced by this
helmet "law", because the use of bicycles will greatly decline. Numbskulls.

Steve McDonald

On Mon, 3 Mar 2003 11:53:32 -0800, "F. Golightly" <[email protected]> said:

>Update March 3, 2003
>
>City Requires Helmets for all Bicycle Riders

Oh wow! Another law for me to break!

(What state is this, by the way?)

--

I think. Therefore, I am not a conservative! ------ http://www.todayslastword.org -------

"Something Stinks In Here" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> On Mon, 3 Mar 2003 11:53:32 -0800, "F. Golightly" <[email protected]> said:
>
> >Update March 3, 2003
> >
> >City Requires Helmets for all Bicycle Riders
>
> Oh wow! Another law for me to break!
>
> (What state is this, by the way?)
>
> --
>
> I think. Therefore, I am not a conservative! ------ http://www.todayslastword.org -------

Washington State... or the peoples republic of Washington

On Mon, 3 Mar 2003 22:12:08 -0700, ">Zeke<" <[email protected]> said:

>Washington State...

I don't think I'll be able to challenge this law any time soon then.

Any towns near Cincinnati have a law like this?

--

I think. Therefore, I am not a conservative! ------ http://www.todayslastword.org -------

>Are you sure that on your side of the "watre" you spell "centre" correctly???
>
>Jon Isaacs

Oh absolutely :)

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

>Then I guess you have been spelling water wrong for quite sometime. <g>

Nah - water is water, centre is centre ;-)

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

On Tue, 04 Mar 2003 06:44:12 GMT, "Pete" <[email protected]> said:

>Actually, the City of Wyoming shot down a helmet law last spring.
>http://enquirer.com/editions/2002/04/17/loc_wyoming_rejects.html

That law wouldn't have affected someone who's 30 years old like I am though. But still the law was a
stupid idea.

About 15 years ago someone told me that The Village Of Indian Hill (actually not a "village" since
it's over 5,000) had a law like this for bicyclers of all ages, but I think that's just a suburban
legend. Besides that I don't think my economic group is welcome in Indian Hill anyway.

--

I think. Therefore, I am not a conservative! ------ http://www.todayslastword.org -------

>Nah - water is water, centre is centre ;-)
>
>Cheers, helen s

Are you sure its not:

Watre is watre, center is center?

Jon Isaacs

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Jon Isaacs) wrote:

> >Nah - water is water, centre is centre ;-)
> >
> >Cheers, helen s
>
> Are you sure its not:
>
> Watre is watre, center is center?
>
> Jon Isaacs

All of this reminds me, as did that great soothsayer of all things bicycle, Capt.Sheldon Brown,
about W. C. Fields comments on water...

Watre is much better as is al- u- min-ium ( for bicycles )

HAND

"Ron Hardin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> F. Golightly wrote:
> >
> > Update March 3, 2003
> >
> > City Requires Helmets for all Bicycle Riders
> >
> > The City of Lake Forest Park and the Cascade Bike Club will be providing
$8
> > helmets and fittings on March 25, 2003 between 3-6 PM at Third Place
Commons
> > in the Towne Centre Shopping Center. This effort is to help everyone
comply
> > with the new City ordinance requiring all bike riders to wear helmets on public streets in Lake
> > Forest Park.
> >
> > "We know bike helmets save lives. We are eager to make helmets available
> > everyone at a moderate cost." said Mayor Hutchinson. Staff from
Harborview
> > Injury Prevention and Research Center has found that helmets decrease
the
> > risk of head injury by 85% and brain injury by 88%.
> >
> > Helmet fittings and reduce cost helmets will be available again at
Picnic in
> > the Park July 26 in the Town Centre.
> >
> > <fini paste>
>
> It must be in Britain. Look at how they spell center.
> --
> Ron Hardin [email protected]
>
> On the internet, nobody knows you're a jerk.

I see they spelled it both ways.... "Towne Centre Shopping Center"

How does that tell one they must be in UK?