mayasupernova

Nov 17, 2015
Serbia
If I have to make a choice whether to cycle in the city, with all the commotion, people, cars, paying attention to every single thing I pass on my way, plus probably getting anxious and nervous due to all that, or else just cycle in nature, in the countryside, I would always choose the latter.
What about you?

Would you rather deal with the rush of the city, or would you enjoy the fresh air and the beauty of the countryside?

I much prefer riding in the country or on a nice bike trail in the woods. The city is too much for me; too much traffic, too many pedestrians, it's just too busy and I never feel completely comfortable on my bike with so much going on around me.

Reactions: mayasupernova
I much prefer riding in the country or on a nice bike trail in the woods. The city is too much for me; too much traffic, too many pedestrians, it's just too busy and I never feel completely comfortable on my bike with so much going on around me.
Yup, thank you for your update. I agree with you. The same is for me, too many pedestrians and busy roads seem dangerous.
It is much better to just feel the freedom and be as comfortable as possible without having to think about a thousand of things around you, pay attention, and completely sway away from the reason you get a hold of the bike in the first place.

Riding in the country is something entirely different as I can focus my attention on the landscape, stopping and so on. In the city I always have my eyes on the traffic!

For me I do about a 50/50 mix of both, and I'll cycle to work more often than not, and that involves town and city riding, but I also do a lot of mountain biking also.

Of the two I prefer to ride out in the country but I don't mind either really if I'm honest. I've been cycling a number of years now and try and enjoy anytime I get to be out on the bike.

Riding in the countryside is just a blast for me. I'm a solitary person and I take long rides as a form of self-therapy. They always relax me and having that feeling of being alone while also having a place that you're going to is great. I don't hate cycling through city either, but I just prefer the open road.

Last summer I had been to Batanes, the northermost province of the Philippines. It is an island province, so isolated that you can only get there by airplanes. It is a biking haven because vehicles are few and sometimes even rare because most of the people are on bikes or motorcycles. If only I can, I probably would retire in Batanes and enjoy the rest of my life riding on the well-paved roads.

Strange that people mostly ride motorcycles instead of bikes, I am guessing that it's a cultural thing and it's faster to commute, but it's not as eco-friendly and healthy.

Last summer I had been to Batanes, the northermost province of the Philippines. It is an island province, so isolated that you can only get there by airplanes. It is a biking haven because vehicles are few and sometimes even rare because most of the people are on bikes or motorcycles. If only I can, I probably would retire in Batanes and enjoy the rest of my life riding on the well-paved roads.

Wow, you are lucky to live in such a place. I am sure it is just lovely. You must been shooting a lot of photographs from nature I believe. Yeah, I would probably do the same as you and spend my life there if I could.

Reactions: Corzhens
Much prefer the country to the city, but I don't always have the luxury to choose. In fact, city cycling is so stressful that there isn't any joy to it for me at all. I don't mind being on the road in a small, quiet town, with little traffic and pleasant surroundings, but there's not a lot of that near me unfortunately.

I much prefer riding in the countryside. When you ride in the countryside you get beautiful views and fresh air. It is a calming experience as opposed to the commotion of the city. When riding in the city I am always on edge and have to focus on the cars and things around me instead of enjoying my ride.

I much prefer riding in the countryside. When you ride in the countryside you get beautiful views and fresh air. It is a calming experience as opposed to the commotion of the city. When riding in the city I am always on edge and have to focus on the cars and things around me instead of enjoying my ride.

Yes, in the countryside you have a double win - beautiful sceneries and fresh air. A bonus is the feeling that you are at peace and harmony with nature since there are no crowds, no traffic since only few vehicles are around plus the wildlife like the birds. It's so nice to pass by an open prairie with grazing cattle and goats and sheep. It is really an experience to remember.

I like cycling in the countryside. This makes it easier for me to avoid traffic and pollution. I have never enjoyed riding in heavy traffic. It is also easier to avoid accidents while riding in the countryside. Most riders nowadays have opted to riding in the countryside than riding in the city.

It would depend on the time of day for me.

I normally get on my bike for rides during the early hours and at those times the town is pretty dead so I can sail through the normally crowded streets pretty effortlessly. It also gives me a chance to take in details and sights I normally would not look at during the daylight hours, and the air is also pretty nice to breathe too.

In the countryside during those hours, I have to say it is quite creepy but I do enjoy it a lot. I have some good lights on my bike and I love how my path is only illuminated with those lights.

If I have to make a choice whether to cycle in the city, with all the commotion, people, cars, paying attention to every single thing I pass on my way, plus probably getting anxious and nervous due to all that, or else just cycle in nature, in the countryside, I would always choose the latter.
What about you?

Would you rather deal with the rush of the city, or would you enjoy the fresh air and the beauty of the countryside?

I think it's obvious that riding in the country is not only much safer but you don't have to stop as much so you get a better workout, you can relax more and enjoy nature's sights and sound and of course the fresher air.

I don't get nervous when riding in the city, I've ridden for many years all over Los Angeles even in rush hour traffic, so I guess I became numb to traffic, not saying I'm not careful, in fact due to riding in such a city I know more on how to be careful then those that haven't rode in big cities which in turn is why I'm not nervous riding in heavy traffic. But given a choice I would rather ride in the country.

I don't get nervous when riding in the city, I've ridden for many years all over Los Angeles even in rush hour traffic, so I guess I became numb to traffic, .

Oh my, riding in such a big city? Well, to be honest, I have not even visited such a big city in my entire life, let alone cycled through it. I am not sure I would survive :). Good job that you are so accustomed to it that even rush hours do not pose that much problem for you. I envy you.

Oh my, riding in such a big city? Well, to be honest, I have not even visited such a big city in my entire life, let alone cycled through it. I am not sure I would survive :). Good job that you are so accustomed to it that even rush hours do not pose that much problem for you. I envy you.

Nothing to envy over it was where I live and if I wanted to cycle I had to cycle in the big city, a lot of people cycle in big cities even a city I think would be insane to ride in and that's New York City! So you see, even I would be scared to ride in NY City!! LOL!! But a lot of people do ride their bikes in NY City because that's where they live and they got numb to it like I did in LA. And riding a bike back when I use to live in LA there weren't much in the way of bike lanes, this was back in the late 70's to the mid 80's, today LA and other big cities have gone a long ways to put in numerous bike lanes and paths which make it far safer. Today the problem with some large cities is cycling on lonely bike paths where sometimes gangs will be hiding waiting for some cyclist on a fancy bike to come by and they steal the bike and beat the rider up, I never had to worry about that sort of thing back then.

So even now that I'm 62 years old riding in the city where I live, Fort Wayne Indiana, is just a cake walk, but that doesn't mean I don't pay attention and ride with reckless abandonment, but rather I know how to ride among cars and I know what to look for, it's called experience, and experience will make you comfortable at whatever you want to accomplish in life.

Survive? For some reason I've been blessed to survive all sorts of things, things far worse at providing an opportunity to die than riding my bike in Los Angeles! So the prospects of getting killed never crosses my mind. I have a weird belief, I believe in self prophecy, meaning whatever you believe can happen to you the more than likely will, and the more you speak and think about it the more your brain accepts it, negative speaking people produce negative filled lives. This is different then mind over matter rubbish, this is about putting garbage or seeds of life into the brain and after a period of time of cultivation the brain allows it to grow and even flourish. It's how the military teaches recruits, it's how one of the methods of brainwashing techniques are applied; change how you speak and think and you will change your life...for either the good or for worse depending on what you change.

Enough blah blah blah, time to get on with the day, have a nice day.

Survive? For some reason I've been blessed to survive all sorts of things, things far worse at providing an opportunity to die than riding my bike in Los Angeles! So the prospects of getting killed never crosses my mind. I have a weird belief, I believe in self prophecy, meaning whatever you believe can happen to you the more than likely will, and the more you speak and think about it the more your brain accepts it, negative speaking people produce negative filled lives. This is different then mind over matter rubbish, this is about putting garbage or seeds of life into the brain and after a period of time of cultivation the brain allows it to grow and even flourish. It's how the military teaches recruits, it's how one of the methods of brainwashing techniques are applied; change how you speak and think and you will change your life...for either the good or for worse depending on what you change.

Enough blah blah blah, time to get on with the day, have a nice day.

I love what you said about the way of thinking. Well, I have to agree. Often, when I had bad thoughts in my mind, my life turned out to be so chaotic and rather sad, bad things have happened to me. But, if I changed my perspective and chose to be happy and optimistic, it actually turned to be great for me. I think I read some book and watch a documentary and it is called Law of Attraction. So, I have to agree with you. Thank you for the update.
Have fun cycling, and have a nice day you too. :)

So you see, even I would be scared to ride in NY City!! LOL!! But a lot of people do ride their bikes in NY City because that's where they live and they got numb to it like I did in LA.

There was a documentary made a few years ago about cycle couriers in NYC - the Twin Towers were still standing in the film, so it was quite a while ago - and all the cyclists were MAD!! Come to think of it, I can't remember if the program was about couriers or fixed-gear riders, but considering fixed-gear guys are little unhinged I think it might have been about them LOL!

There was a documentary made a few years ago about cycle couriers in NYC - the Twin Towers were still standing in the film, so it was quite a while ago - and all the cyclists were MAD!! Come to think of it, I can't remember if the program was about couriers or fixed-gear riders, but considering fixed-gear guys are little unhinged I think it might have been about them LOL!

Sounds a lot like London during rush hour conditions. The cyclists up there are pretty crazy and sometimes take their lives in their own hands with the way they weave between cars, buses and even go on the wrong side of the road when the correct side is chock-a-block with traffic. Same can be said about some of the motorcyclists but to a lesser extent.