City with the most mountain bike trails

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Pcgr1, May 20, 2003.

  1. Pcgr1

    Pcgr1 Guest

    Looking to get out of town(Visalia,CA.). Want cities or towns have the most trails to go riding,
    along with campgrounds if possible?

    TIA Pat

  2. MTBScottie

    MTBScottie Guest

    "pcgr1" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Looking to get out of town(Visalia,CA.). Want cities or towns have the most trails to go riding,
    > along with campgrounds if possible?
    >
    > TIA Pat

    > Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

    Any particular spot in the world?

  3. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "pcgr1" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Looking to get out of town(Visalia,CA.). Want cities or towns have the most trails to go riding,
    > along with campgrounds if possible?

    Bend, Oregon

    JD

  4. Dan Langille

    Dan Langille Guest

    On Mon, 19 May 2003 23:36:02 -0700, "pcgr1" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Looking to get out of town(Visalia,CA.). Want cities or towns have the most trails to go riding,
    > along with campgrounds if possible?

    Wellington, New Zealand. Easily 400-500 km of trails within 60 minutes drive of downtown..
    --
    Dan Langille resume: http://www.langille.org/

  5. Djarvinen

    Djarvinen Guest

    "pcgr1" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Looking to get out of town(Visalia,CA.). Want cities or towns have the most trails to go riding,
    > along with campgrounds if possible?
    >
    > TIA Pat

    Boise, Idaho.

    A minimum of 40 rides within 15 miles of downtown. Rides range all the way from easy to "sub-alpine
    technical ascents" (see reference at end).

    Flat, hilly, paved, rocky... the variety is incredible. But definitely no rain forest.

    Campgrounds? Actually, I don't know of any but I'm sure there must be some. Most (all?) of the
    riders are either urban or have touristed in and stay in motels and such.

    The weather is just now turning fabulous. Expect highs in the 80s over the next week; lows
    in the 50s.

    There can be a couple of weeks in deep summer where it can be blistering but then just take early
    morning or late evening rides if you can't deal with the heat.

    A great book on local trails is "Mountain Biking Boise" by Martin Potucek. Mine is 1998 edition so a
    few of the route descriptions are obsolete.

    Plus, Boise is a fairly cheap place to stay; some very good restaurants; and if you want to hit
    'real' mountains, Sun Valley and McCall are both only a few hours away.

    If you are serious, I can look into some campgrounds for you. Or maybe Paladin knows of some.

    (/end of Boise plug)

  6. Bob

    Bob Guest

    "pcgr1" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Looking to get out of town(Visalia,CA.). Want cities or towns have the
    most
    > trails to go riding, along with campgrounds if possible?
    >
    > TIA Pat

    > Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

    Hood River, Oregon or White Salmon, Washington

    Post Canyon, Surveryors ridge, whoop dee doo, dog river, syncline and hospital hill on the Wa side,
    deschutes river trail (road) Lewis river, Ape Canyon all within an hour if not less.... PLUS you
    have a good brew pub, lots of other sports and usually good weather at one end or the other.

    http://www.gorgeexplorer.com/hiking_MtBiking_Oregon.htm

    http://www.gorgeexplorer.com/hiking_MtBiking_washington.htm

    -Bob

  7. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    [email protected] (djarvinen) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "pcgr1" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Looking to get out of town(Visalia,CA.). Want cities or towns have the most trails to go riding,
    > > along with campgrounds if possible?
    > >
    > > TIA Pat
    >

    > Boise, Idaho.
    >
    > A minimum of 40 rides within 15 miles of downtown. Rides range all the way from easy to
    > "sub-alpine technical ascents" (see reference at end).
    >
    > Flat, hilly, paved, rocky... the variety is incredible. But definitely no rain forest.
    >
    > Campgrounds? Actually, I don't know of any but I'm sure there must be some. Most (all?) of the
    > riders are either urban or have touristed in and stay in motels and such.
    >
    > The weather is just now turning fabulous. Expect highs in the 80s over the next week; lows in
    > the 50s.
    >
    > There can be a couple of weeks in deep summer where it can be blistering but then just take early
    > morning or late evening rides if you can't deal with the heat.
    >
    > A great book on local trails is "Mountain Biking Boise" by Martin Potucek. Mine is 1998 edition so
    > a few of the route descriptions are obsolete.
    >
    > Plus, Boise is a fairly cheap place to stay; some very good restaurants; and if you want to hit
    > 'real' mountains, Sun Valley and McCall are both only a few hours away.
    >
    > If you are serious, I can look into some campgrounds for you. Or maybe Paladin knows of some.
    >
    > (/end of Boise plug)

    Hey Dick. Good to hear you chime in. Riding is so good right now, I can't hardly stand it.

    Re campgrounds, there are enough close in. I'd recommend the camping up at Bogus Basin ski resort.
    That way, there's 2 or 3 days awesome riding right outside the tent, and the dude can come into town
    for the regular trails, a shower, dinner out, meet you, whatever.

    I rode the backside of BB, with Sawtooth Mtn views one year with the Freak and my son. A short
    little track of about 5 mi, but jimminy it was awesome.

    Paladin

  8. Gabrielle

    Gabrielle Guest

    On Tue, 20 May 2003 22:16:26 -0700, Bob wrote:

    > http://www.gorgeexplorer.com/hiking_MtBiking_Oregon.htm

    Goodness, Bob, I hope you didn't write those--Post Canyon, Deschutes (pronounced Des-ka-hooties btw)
    Surveyor's and Knebal are vying for the distinction of "worst set of directions I've ever read".

    OP: If you end up going to the Gorge and really want to go to any of those places, I'd check those
    directions with a local and a map or you will be driving all over hell's half acre.

    gabrielle

  9. Bob

    Bob Guest

    "gabrielle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > On Tue, 20 May 2003 22:16:26 -0700, Bob wrote:
    >
    > > http://www.gorgeexplorer.com/hiking_MtBiking_Oregon.htm
    >
    > Goodness, Bob, I hope you didn't write those--Post Canyon, Deschutes (pronounced
    > Des-ka-hooties btw) Surveyor's and Knebal are vying for the distinction of "worst set of
    > directions I've ever read".
    >
    > OP: If you end up going to the Gorge and really want to go to any of those places, I'd check those
    > directions with a local and a map or you will be driving all over hell's half acre.
    >
    > gabrielle

    Nope, didn't write em. Barely can pronounce em. Like to ride em though..... Musta been brain
    dead........

  10. Dave Stocker

    Dave Stocker Guest

  11. Dave Stocker

    Dave Stocker Guest

    Well in Europe...

    Heidelberg Germany is cool in that respect. There is a lot of good riding and it starts right at the
    edge of the old towm. Easy fire road all the was to serious technical downhill. And after the ride
    is over, there are a zillion places to stop for a coffee or a beer.

    I also like Meran Italy quite a bit. It is in the South Tyrol region of the Alps.

    -Dave

  12. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    "Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "pcgr1" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Looking to get out of town(Visalia,CA.). Want cities or towns have the
    > most
    > > trails to go riding, along with campgrounds if possible?
    > >
    > > TIA Pat

    > > Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----
    >
    > Hood River, Oregon or White Salmon, Washington
    >
    > Post Canyon, Surveryors ridge, whoop dee doo, dog river, syncline and hospital hill on the Wa
    > side, deschutes river trail (road) Lewis river, Ape Canyon all within an hour if not less.... PLUS
    > you have a good brew pub, lots of other sports and usually good weather at one end or the other.
    >
    > http://www.gorgeexplorer.com/hiking_MtBiking_Oregon.htm
    >
    > http://www.gorgeexplorer.com/hiking_MtBiking_washington.htm
    >
    > -Bob

    Bob, old buddy, you make me think of my favorite NW Black -n- Tan, which is Deschutes Obsidian
    Stout, and Portland Brewing's McTarnahan's Pale Ale. Now there's a handfull of goodness.

    Paladin

  13. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    "Dave Stocker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "djarvinen" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Boise, Idaho.
    >
    > Aside from Micron, is there anything resembling jobs in Boise?
    >
    > -Dave

    Micron laid off a grand of folks just a few months back. Jobs are tight. Too many high-qualified,
    high-tech types competing for chump jobs. Just heard though that HP is hiring some type of operators
    at $14/hr. Beats a kick in the pants if your unemployment checks ran out a couple months ago.

    I've got some hard work at low pay for some hardy soul to help re-landscape my too-big back yard,
    but that's probably only a couple days worth. Not enough reason to move, I would think.

    Paladin

  14. Sasquatch

    Sasquatch Guest

    >>Deschutes (pronounced Des-ka-hooties btw)

    Wrong. Pronounced like "Day-shoots"

    Some excellant trail in Oregon btw.

  15. Bob

    Bob Guest

    "Sasquatch" <[email protected]*hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >>Deschutes (pronounced Des-ka-hooties btw)
    >
    > Wrong. Pronounced like "Day-shoots"
    >
    > Some excellant trail in Oregon btw.

    How about Duh Chutes? Is that like calling the Met How the Meth How? Call the Deschutes Brewery and
    ask them......or just grab a Black Butte Porter instead...

  16. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Thu, 22 May 2003 13:53:11 -0700, Bob wrote:

    > How about Duh Chutes? Is that like calling the Met How the Meth How? Call the Deschutes Brewery
    > and ask them......or just grab a Black Butte Porter instead...

    That's how I've always heard it in the years I've lived around here. It seems pretty intuitive
    (compared to Willamette - Will AM it).

  17. Djarvinen

    Djarvinen Guest

    "Dave Stocker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "djarvinen" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Boise, Idaho.
    >
    > Aside from Micron, is there anything resembling jobs in Boise?
    >
    > -Dave

    Heh, Micro just had a layoff of about 1,100 of which 700 are from the Boise area. And my company's
    last day here is May 30 (hey, that's next week!).

    Jobs are grim here. I've been Googling, Monstering and Dicing quite a bit lately. Most of the jobs
    (of which there are not many) seem to be in the Portland area. A few in Seattle but still seems
    pretty tough. And the bay area absolutely sucks.

    Ah, what the hell... since the subject came up:

    Anyone looking for an experienced (read 'Old') firmware engineer? Resume available to anyone
    who can read.

    I don't mind too much losing my job but if I move from Boise, I definitely will miss the great bike
    riding here. Man, they have *so* many good trails.

    But then again, there are probably few places where you can't find a reasonable trail withing a
    half-hour drive or so. (Please tell me I'm not wrong!)

    DJ

  18. Gabrielle

    Gabrielle Guest

    On Thu, 22 May 2003 10:56:45 -0700, Sasquatch wrote:

    >>>Deschutes (pronounced Des-ka-hooties btw)
    >
    > Wrong. Pronounced like "Day-shoots"
    >
    > Some excellant trail in Oregon btw.

    You thought I was serious? ;)

    gabrielle

  19. T_blood

    T_blood Guest

    > Well in Europe...
    >
    > Heidelberg Germany is cool in that respect. There is a lot of good riding and it starts right at
    > the edge of the old towm. Easy fire road all the
    was
    > to serious technical downhill. And after the ride is over, there are a zillion places to stop for
    > a coffee or a beer.
    >
    > I also like Meran Italy quite a bit. It is in the South Tyrol region of
    the
    > Alps.
    >
    > -Dave

    You from around Heidelberg? If so..I'm not too far, just north of Frankfurt...Mike