Civic EX or Civic Hybrid?

BassDave

Jun 30, 2004
Opinions, if you have one.

Fairly soon, I plan on switching out my "old" 1997 Hyundai Sonata with a 2006 Civic and was trying to decide between a normally aspirated ICE vehicle, or the Hybrid, with it's extra fuel range.

If they aren't TOO Much money, when the 2007 Camry Hybrid comes out, it is going to be hard to beat. A good size car that gets around 40 MPG in the city.

Any thoughts?

BassDave said:
Any thoughts?
I don't have any technical thoughts regarding comparing performance / maintenance cost/ reliability etc, but I have done a cost-benefit analysis (for my own purposes) in a similar decision of mine (Prius vs. similar sized "normal" car). I found that in strict terms of cost (considering purchase price, average mileage I put on a car, and difference in fuel costs given the differing efficiencies) that if I were to buy a Prius, it would have taken me in the neighborhood of 9 years to recoup the "up front" cost in the higher purchase price. That seemed like a long time to me. In the end, I decided to not replace my current vehicle anyway - but that analysis certainly seemed mildly prohibitive to me. I don't know details of the civic ex vs. hybrid prices.

Of course none of that matters if one decides that the "ease on environment" factor is worth the extra cost and you can justify that cost and still provide well for the fam. But that of course is a personal choice.

Too bad we can't all power our cars like the Flinstones did. Now that would be sweet.

a hyundai sonata? oh dear...

it depends on whether you want extra fuel economy.

gas in the US is cheap.

i have driven the American style Camry and i like it a lot. Never been much of a fan of Civics personally.

I just down-traded my 2005 Lancer Sport Wagon for a Ford Focus. Much better fuel economy, about 40 mpg combined highway and town. Lower spec and a LOT less power but at least it gets you from a 2 b.

Get the Hybrid Camry. Buy something mean and disgusting in the meantime (ford mustang or similar)

BassDave said:
Opinions, if you have one.

Fairly soon, I plan on switching out my "old" 1997 Hyundai Sonata with a 2006 Civic and was trying to decide between a normally aspirated ICE vehicle, or the Hybrid, with it's extra fuel range.

If they aren't TOO Much money, when the 2007 Camry Hybrid comes out, it is going to be hard to beat. A good size car that gets around 40 MPG in the city.

Any thoughts?

MountainPro said:
a hyundai sonata? oh dear...

it depends on whether you want extra fuel economy.

gas in the US is cheap.

i have driven the American style Camry and i like it a lot. Never been much of a fan of Civics personally.

I just down-traded my 2005 Lancer Sport Wagon for a Ford Focus. Much better fuel economy, about 40 mpg combined highway and town. Lower spec and a LOT less power but at least it gets you from a 2 b.

Get the Hybrid Camry. Buy something mean and disgusting in the meantime (ford mustang or similar)

Mean and disgusting for me would be a Subaru WRX. But yeah, the new Mustang is definitely a looker.

I may go with the Camry Hybrid when the time comes. Of course, right now, the "old" Hyundai Sonata is running well enough. Just turned over 75,000 miles on the way to work today. Not a LOT of miles, but not bad for an older Hyundai! ;)

Hybrid technology has been doomed since the day it was though of. The existence of hybrids suggest a transition from internal combustion to fully electric (or some other no emission source). Assuming that a transaction occours (helpful fact: it never will) the hybrids would become filth spewing half-freaks in the eyes of "environmentalists". In the case of the Civic hybrid, it only gets 5mpg more than the regular Civic, hardly worth the couple thousand more you will pay for it and the $6000+ non warranty covered battery replacement needed before 100K miles. If you want excellent milage, go with a Honda CRX, they are cheap, get 52 miles to the gallon and aren't obsolete.

Here's a car that the environmentalist would hate. It's one that my brother recently got. The Suzuki Verona. It has a straight 6 engine, . . . not all that powerful at all, . . . . . .yet it only gets 15 mpg!!! . He did a combined tank, some driving, some highway and only achieved 18 mpg. A SAD performance, and I'd be ashamed if my company produced such horrid numbers from a medium sized, underpowered vehicle. :mad: I feel sorry for my brother who wishes he had went with another car.

I think I will just go with the normal Civic when the time comes. You're right, it's gas mileage is still very good. Rated 30/40 city/highway.