Civil Unrest in France, What Gives?



jhuskey

Moderator
Oct 6, 2003
10,606
678
113
Carrera said:
I'm trying to suggest capitalist countries don't have a plan as such. Capitalist countries assume that war and high levels of crime are a natural phenomenon. Marxists have previously compared the origin of the modern capitalist society to the old classical system of slavery.
Capitalism is an imperfect system that automatically leads to inequality on basis of class or some other basis. Inequality leads to instability, crime or even war. In the current case it may lead to our extinction as a species since the powers that be are powerless, at this stage, to prevent over-exploitation of the resources of our planet and the environment.
The cycle is never-ending.
Communism was the first real attempt to develop a system whereby one might fully exploit the potential of a given society.
But don't get me wrong. I'm not suggesting we all choose an authoritarian, Soviet system of state. What I do think is it's a pity Gorbachev failed to reform communism and re-adapt Marxism to the changing world. The system had basically become corrupt and stagnant but reform of the USSR would have been a better alternative to collapse.
Obviously the old idea of prohibition of private property was a bad one and I think Gorbachev's idea was to blend communism together with freedom and democracy.

The system is not necessarily flawed, people are flawed. Religion is not flawed,it is the people that misuse the system.
If you take the basics of the Ten Commandments the message is a good one of equality and respect and comon sense, but if you over rationalize a concept to the extent of making it fit your agenda then it is you that has failed not the system.
A weapon on it's is not necessarily dangerous.
Throw a knife in with a gang of ******** wolves,no problem,but give it to one ******** woman and you have the makings of a book ,a movie and a legend.
People are sometimes evil not systems.
I have even heard that some take a good blended whiskey and mix it with soda.
People are nuts,I rest my case.
 

Billsworld

New Member
Sep 6, 2005
804
0
0
Carrera said:
It won't be proven to be better if it leads to our extinction as a species.
Did you know that societies tend to go through certain trends? Classical Greece, for instance, represents a period where the Greeks believed all problems could be solved by humanism (sort of applying philosophy to politics). But later on, they gave up. They finally decided to apply philosophy to more practical issues such as law or general education. Skeptics believed true knowledge was impossible - hence skepticism.
The Roman period that followed slowly led us into religion. The mediaeval period was a disaster and stagnant period more or less.
This modern age we now live in has been very good for technology and medicine but very bad in the political sphere. I mean, have you noticed how backward our political system is in comparison with other spheres of development. The whole mess of Iraq, terrorism, environmental disasters e.t.c. have beeb caused by politicians to a certain extent.
I think the mistake we are seeing today is that every country is adopting capitalism and I have this strong feeling it will lead us up a blind alley. The dreams of prosperity and cohesion of the political elite have not been fulfilled as people expected. Democracy has been destabilised recently and greed has been a definite factor in politics. More worryingly, there has been this huge increase in people turning to religion as they did in the Middle Ages.
Just food for thought.
The human spirit will alaways seek to do better. The govt that understands freedom and encourages men to be free will do the best. Those liberties cant come at the expense of the neighbors liberties or it fails. You point out that democracies have destabalized recently. I see countries that used to be capatilistic, are becoming more socialistic. You also pointed out on another post , the costs of social services for immigrants in the UK. Modern govts have no end to their appetite for the money of the workers. There is always another way to take and spend what they dont earn.
 

ptlwp

New Member
Oct 6, 2005
544
0
0
A few years ago, I read a book called "The Botany of Desire" by Michael Pollan. Anyway, mankind was better of as nomads apparently for once they settled down and had farms and crops to tend, things seemed to get to the point that, we as a people were enslaved to our crops, more than anything else. The apple, marijuana and potatoes, the need for intoxication; all these things have, even our desire for sweets......has carved a funny view of evolution. The plants have won.

That goes with Zen and such philosophies, where the things we own, really own us.

So enslaved as we are with all of our things and belongings, we merrily go along, evolving in a way that only "Ecclesiastes" makes any sense to me.

All my love,

Petals
 

Billsworld

New Member
Sep 6, 2005
804
0
0
jhuskey said:
The system is not necessarily flawed, people are flawed. Religion is not flawed,it is the people that misuse the system.
If you take the basics of the Ten Commandments the message is a good one of equality and respect and comon sense, but if you over rationalize a concept to the extent of making it fit your agenda then it is you that has failed not the system.
A weapon on it's is not necessarily dangerous.
Throw a knife in with a gang of ******** wolves,no problem,but give it to one ******** woman and you have the makings of a book ,a movie and a legend.
People are sometimes evil not systems.
I have even heard that some take a good blended whiskey and mix it with soda.
People are nuts,I rest my case.
Human nature is self seeking. The Ten Commandments were later summerized in the New Test." Loveyour God with all your heart and love/treat your neighbor as you love/treat yourself and this fulfills all of the law"J.C. 33ad As I said before a system that allows for freedom without trampling the freedom of ones neighbor is the best one. The US was like that a while back
 

Carrera

New Member
Feb 2, 2004
4,856
0
0
55
True, socialism is a more moderate alternative to full-blown communism.
Sometimes I think the real solution may be to blend capitalism and socialism together which is possibly what the Chinese are trying to do.

Billsworld said:
The human spirit will alaways seek to do better. The govt that understands freedom and encourages men to be free will do the best. Those liberties cant come at the expense of the neighbors liberties or it fails. You point out that democracies have destabalized recently. I see countries that used to be capatilistic, are becoming more socialistic. You also pointed out on another post , the costs of social services for immigrants in the UK. Modern govts have no end to their appetite for the money of the workers. There is always another way to take and spend what they dont earn.
 

Billsworld

New Member
Sep 6, 2005
804
0
0
ptlwp said:
A few years ago, I read a book called "The Botany of Desire" by Michael Pollan. Anyway, mankind was better of as nomads apparently for once they settled down and had farms and crops to tend, things seemed to get to the point that, we as a people were enslaved to our crops, more than anything else. The apple, marijuana and potatoes, the need for intoxication; all these things have, even our desire for sweets......has carved a funny view of evolution. The plants have won.

That goes with Zen and such philosophies, where the things we own, really own us.

So enslaved as we are with all of our things and belongings, we merrily go along, evolving in a way that only "Ecclesiastes" makes any sense to me.

All my love,

Petals
Wow I am going to have to ponder that one for a while. Good thing I am on the trainer tonight, I would probably ride into the woods by accident .:)
 

Billsworld

New Member
Sep 6, 2005
804
0
0
Carrera said:
True, socialism is a more moderate alternative to full-blown communism.
Sometimes I think the real solution may be to blend capitalism and socialism together which is possibly what the Chinese are trying to do.
I would argue thats what the US , UK, Canada, France, Etc.. are already doing
 

James Bruce Gil

New Member
Aug 10, 2003
774
0
0
75
Billsworld said:
I would argue thats what the US , UK, Canada, France, Etc.. are already doing

BW,

To an extent we all are: Thats what tax is all about, raising money for a common purpose.

Kind regards,
 

jhuskey

Moderator
Oct 6, 2003
10,606
678
113
James Bruce Gil said:
BW,

To an extent we all are: Thats what tax is all about, raising money for a common purpose.

Kind regards,

Or a common waste or mis-use at least in my concept of a society all member would leave the central government building with a good attitude every night.
 

James Bruce Gil

New Member
Aug 10, 2003
774
0
0
75
jhuskey said:
Or a common waste or mis-use at least in my concept of a society all member would leave the central government building with a good attitude every night.

Huskey,

And head straight to a bar, thereby creating employment opportunity for barmaids, while simultaneously enhancing the good attitude that they brought from the government building. :)

KInd regards,
 

FredC

New Member
Oct 22, 2004
2,859
0
0
James Bruce Gil said:
Huskey,

And head straight to a bar, thereby creating employment opportunity for barmaids, while simultaneously enhancing the good attitude that they brought from the government building. :)

KInd regards,
Eff your regards roo ****. You've got PMTXYZ signing with 'petals' now. What a ponce you are. Yeh we know the score these days, the girls go out for a drink and the 'men?' phone each other up yapping about nappy rash.
 

James Bruce Gil

New Member
Aug 10, 2003
774
0
0
75
FredC said:
Eff your regards roo ****. You've got PMTXYZ signing with 'petals' now. What a ponce you are. Yeh we know the score these days, the girls go out for a drink and the 'men?' phone each other up yapping about nappy rash.

FredC,

I've been insulted by experts, You really are a rank amateur at it. You know it takes a ponce to spot one. How's your nappy rash going? :p

Kind regards,
 

jhuskey

Moderator
Oct 6, 2003
10,606
678
113
James Bruce Gil said:
Huskey,

And head straight to a bar, thereby creating employment opportunity for barmaids, while simultaneously enhancing the good attitude that they brought from the government building. :)

KInd regards,


No, you misunderstand. In my concept the government building is a bar. Saves time!
 

James Bruce Gil

New Member
Aug 10, 2003
774
0
0
75
jhuskey said:
No, you misunderstand. In my concept the government building is a bar. Saves time!

Huskey,

I'm familiar with the concept of being helped by the government, but I would have to say they would have to stuff the beer up.

Poor Fred is being irritated by his incontinence nappies today it seems. :eek:

Kind regards,
 

jhuskey

Moderator
Oct 6, 2003
10,606
678
113
James Bruce Gil said:
Huskey,

I'm familiar with the concept of being helped by the government, but I would have to say they would have to stuff the beer up.

Poor Fred is being irritated by his incontinence nappies today it seems. :eek:

Kind regards,


I figure that we make government buildings into bars and all the elected officials would be prostitutes.
Not too far front the present concept,in a technical sense, we have now only that the electees would be female and the most talented would be the "head of state".
 

James Bruce Gil

New Member
Aug 10, 2003
774
0
0
75
jhuskey said:
I figure that we make government buildings into bars and all the elected officials would be prostitutes.
Not too far front the present concept,in a technical sense, we have now only that the electees would be female and the most talented would be the "head of state".

Huskey,

We seem to return to the concept of St Sara's everytime. Most elected politicians are prostitutes of a kind. Its just that they are really able to screw us completely. :eek:

Perhaps I should ponce on over to that other thread until Fred's nappy rash improves. :p

Kind regards,
 

FredC

New Member
Oct 22, 2004
2,859
0
0
James Bruce Gil said:
Huskey,

I'm familiar with the concept of being helped by the government, but I would have to say they would have to stuff the beer up.

Poor Fred is being irritated by his incontinence nappies today it seems. :eek:

Kind regards,
I told you that your posts were ****.
 

Billsworld

New Member
Sep 6, 2005
804
0
0
jhuskey said:
First we must separate goverment from private Enterprise. Just because a concern is based in the US doesn't mean it's best economic interset lies there.
Aside from that how do you know that the US has no plan. I hate to burst your bubble but the latest numbers say that the market is at a 4 year high,gas is down ,the public is spending and the economy is gaining despite the set backs this year.
These are facts not theory. Is everyone rich? No they never were and never will be,but despite Bush,despite war and hurricanes the economy is growing in retail,housing etc..
Do you remember the dot com boom...then bust. The debt that is rung up for Iraq, Katrina ,etc.. will eventually catch up to us. I believe that our economy moves in cycles. Bush came in during a down in that cycle. I would hope we might get an up tic by now.. The repubs are governing like rich kids with trust funds....The direction the US is heading is spend spend spend. Thats the plan....And I voted for the guy twice:) Govt buildings to bars you say??
 

James Bruce Gil

New Member
Aug 10, 2003
774
0
0
75
Billsworld said:
Do you remember the dot com boom...then bust. The debt that is rung up for Iraq, Katrina ,etc.. will eventually catch up to us. I believe that our economy moves in cycles. Bush came in during a down in that cycle. I would hope we might get an up tic by now.. The repubs are governing like rich kids with trust funds....The direction the US is heading is spend spend spend. Thats the plan....And I voted for the guy twice:) Govt buildings to bars you say??

BW,

The .com boom was a situation where people were investing real money in virtual assets and they got burned because of it. Many of those companies had at that stage never turned in a profit but people didn't seem to care.

There is a .com revival underway just now, but I expect it to be more realistic and investors will be a lot more conservative this time around.

Kind regards,