Civil Unrest in France, What Gives?

stevebaby said:
I just tried to think of anything "made in america" that I own.The only thing I could think of is a Stanley handplane(made in 1920).That's not because I'm anti american. It's because american goods are poor value,overpriced and shoddy.Most of the consumer goods in my house were manufactured in asia.
How much does the us owe china for the war in iraq?
As Tony Soprano said "Sometimes it's more dangerous to be owed money than to owe it".
The real danger is to china.
:eek:
I have never-again owned chinese or taiwanese tools after purchasing a couple & having them snap or round-off bolts. They are inferior to american one's. If you contend otherwise then you are sadly mistaken :(

limerickman said:
Indeed there are economic cycles.
But that doesn't explain Clinton's professional management of your country's economy.

The fact of the matter is that Bill Clinton's goverment created the macro circumstances which allowed your country's economy to flourish.

The dotcom craze in material terms was confined to the stock market : the stock market is simply a barometre of business confidence.

The measurements I posted earlier are in the real economy and those indicies
show that Clinton and his administration got their policies and your economy flourished.
A "lions-share" of that was due to the "peace dividend", from the demise of the cold war when, incidentally; we knew who our enemies were. That was then, this is now. Granted, exporting jobs to the lowest bidder is nothing to be proud about but that is how pure capitalism works. Would you deprive those people, oversea's, of a living :confused:

limerickman said:
But that doesn't explain Clinton's professional management of your country's economy.

The fact of the matter is that Bill Clinton's goverment created the macro circumstances which allowed your country's economy to flourish.

The dotcom craze in material terms was confined to the stock market : the stock market is simply a barometre of business confidence.

show that Clinton and his administration got their policies and your economy flourished.
Clinton was a moderate Republican's dream ... If we look at the legacy of Clinton's policys during his presidency, what we see are policies that were dictated by a Republican House & Senate. If you remember the Democrats were screaming at the time of his presidency as to his impotency as a president because of the ******* Republicans in control. {Notice the use of the words 'impotency and Clinton?" As Monica would say .." No way!" }

And during the Gore campaign the Democrats stayed away from talking about the Clinton's record as policies go ........

I think history will show Bill Clinton to be a good President as far as the choice of moderates go. But history will also show Clinton to .......
[size=-1]- The only president ever impeached on grounds of personal malfeasance
- Most number of convictions and guilty pleas by friends and associates*
- Most number of cabinet officials to come under criminal investigation
- Most number of witnesses to flee country or refuse to testify
- First first lady to come under criminal investigation
- Largest criminal plea agreement in an illegal campaign contribution case
- First president to establish a legal defense fund.
- Greatest amount of illegal campaign contributions
- Greatest amount of illegal campaign contributions from abroad
- First president disbarred from the US Supreme Court and a state court

To say the Presidency of Clintons was not corrupt would be denying all that happened in his case. The liberals always want people to think it was all about "America being obsessed with Bill getting a blowjob." They want to deflect the story from one of corruption. It had nothing to do with that. That is tabloid politics.....
The "Whitewater Scandal" needs to be looked at when speaking Of Hilary Clinton. Hilary played a role in that far beyond Bill. I looked into the Whitewater thing. And I am not a anti-Hilary individual.... I still like her. But she has corruption rolling off her back .....
And if she runs for the Presidency, wait until the thing re-surfaces.

I think Bush had his Presidency bought for him........ And Clinton showed the way.
[/size]

davidmc said:
I have never-again owned chinese or taiwanese tools after purchasing a couple & having them snap or round-off bolts. (

DMc,

You've confused the portable lathe for a spanner. One day we'll have standard sized nuts and bolt heads. I fancy I'll die befor it happens but you just may see it.

Kind regards & spew on,

James Bruce Gil said:
DMc

Your not eating your vege's. There's no carrot in it!!

Kind regards,

I know no one called for a vote, but hell I didn't ask permission either.
I have no problem with your closing tag line, as I thought it was always meant with sincerity.
It may be a little cynical sounding at the and of an insult ,but you can't be expected to change it every time your emotions change.
So in conclusion...... I like a little old fashioned courtesy as along as it is not patronizing.

And not show Clinton's involvment in the war in Iraq would be irresponsible. Hilary still has not spoken out very loud as to her "justification" of the war. lately, she has spoken about how the war is being handled..... That is her way of testing the waters of the Presidency of 2008... The war will be a critical voting topic.......
Her husbands handling of Iraq {And Bin Laden} is why the Democrats of Clinton's presidency are quiet at this time.....

they are also attempting to salvage whatever reputation they had prior to hitching their wagons to man who did nothing for eight years but fight off political death from self-inflicted wounds and campaign for re-election

Richard Clarke, presently making the rounds claiming Bush dropped the ball, was singing a different tune when he was in the Clinton Administration. "What's it going to take to get them {Clinton and staff} to hit al Qaeda in Afghanistan? Does al Qaeda have to attack the Pentagon?" Clarke's advice to Clinton to take immediate action against bin Laden was completely ignored. Now, he blames President Bush.

The Clinton people are going to say that there is no connection between Iraq and al Qaeda. This is interesting since documents and intelligence used to bomb the al Shifa plant in Sudan in 1998 were based on that very information. Osama bin Laden had invested money in the Sudan factory and it was believed that a chemical compound called EMPTA, whose only function is to make VX nerve gas, was being made there. Several telephone calls between that plant and Baghdad were also intercepted.

Clinton's expert on Iraq, Laurie Mylroie, has been saying for years that there is no doubt that Saddam and bin Laden worked hand in hand and that Saddam was involved in several attacks on the U.S. including the first WTC bombing in 1993 and 9/11 via money and training camps in Iraq. It is unlikely that the Democrats on the committee will want her to testify since Clinton spent eight years ignoring her.

The Clinton Administration knew, in 1995, that al Qaeda planned to high-jack airliners and use them as missiles against strategic American targets on American soil. It was all laid out, step by step on Yousef's computer. Trained pilots were all that was needed. The people due to testify for the Clinton Administration this week did nothing with this information — absolutely nothing.

The CIA warned Clinton in 1996 that it had uncovered a branch of al Qaeda called "The Martyrdom Battalion." These terrorists planned to hijack planes and use them as missiles against American targets. Was this information ever related to the proper congressional committees? Could this explain congressional anger after the 9/11 attack that it was so ill-informed about this threat?

Before Clinton gets kudo's from everyone , all we need to do is remember back to his Presidency ..... And the majority of the nightly news was that of corruption and cover-up ......

jhuskey said:
I have no problem with your closing tag line, as I thought it was always meant with sincerity.
It may be a little cynical sounding at the and of an insult ,but you can't be expected to change it every time your emotions change.
So in conclusion...... I like a little old fashioned courtesy as along as it is not patronizing.

Huskey,

Thanks for your welcome comment. I just have I have a kindred feeling to all my fellow cyclists and pay them all the due regard they deserve.

Regrettably, it ruffles a few feathers, but you can't please everybody.

Maybe I should post in Latin so that only the Vatican officials understand.

Il tipo considera, (and you will understand this).

James Bruce Gil said:
Huskey,

Thanks for your welcome comment. I just have I have a kindred feeling to all my fellow cyclists and pay them all the due regard they deserve.

Regrettably, it ruffles a few feathers, but you can't please everybody.

Maybe I should post in Latin so that only the Vatican officials understand.

Il tipo considera, (and you will understand this).
Listen 'Roodung, none of your posts are worth a light, and now you've PMTXYZ calling herself Petals. Yuck. She is OMH. Old Mother Hippy.

FredC said:
Listen 'Roodung, none of your posts are worth a light, and now you've PMTXYZ calling herself Petals. Yuck. She is OMH. Old Mother Hippy.

FredC,

Its nice to know that I'm still getting up your nose.

Like I have said before I will call people what ever I feel disposed to do.

If I was being insulted by somebody capable of stringing more that a few words of intelligent language together I would be worried.

Feeble Rude Egotistical Dundering Child is a that your acronym? :D

Kind regards,

wolfix said:
But history will also show Clinton to .......
[size=-1]- The only president ever impeached on grounds of personal malfeasance
- Most number of convictions and guilty pleas by friends and associates*
- Most number of cabinet officials to come under criminal investigation
- Most number of witnesses to flee country or refuse to testify
- First first lady to come under criminal investigation
- Largest criminal plea agreement in an illegal campaign contribution case
- First president to establish a legal defense fund.
- Greatest amount of illegal campaign contributions
- Greatest amount of illegal campaign contributions from abroad
- First president disbarred from the US Supreme Court and a state court

To say the Presidency of Clintons was not corrupt would be denying all that happened in his case. The liberals always want people to think it was all about "America being obsessed with Bill getting a blowjob." They want to deflect the story from one of corruption. It had nothing to do with that. That is tabloid politics.....
The "Whitewater Scandal" needs to be looked at when speaking Of Hilary Clinton. Hilary played a role in that far beyond Bill. I looked into the Whitewater thing. And I am not a anti-Hilary individual.... I still like her. But she has corruption rolling off her back .....
And if she runs for the Presidency, wait until the thing re-surfaces.

I think Bush had his Presidency bought for him........ And Clinton showed the way.
[/size]
So, you believe spending $300,000,000 of taxpayer money to prove that a man is a hetrosexual is money well spent :confused: If you do, you are not a conservative. Besides, after all of the incriminations, all they could come up w/ is that Pres. Clinton has a better sex life than 98% of conservative politicians. Thanks ;)

jhuskey said:
absolutely :eek: incidentally, nice avatar touch-up ;)

James Bruce Gil said:
DMc,

You've confused the portable lathe for a spanner. One day we'll have standard sized nuts and bolt heads. I fancy I'll die befor it happens but you just may see it.

Kind regards & spew on,

Talking of which I checked out the price of a 2nd hand Matrix-Churchill CNC lathe just out of wild curiosity (as a student my bus used to go past their works when the whole lathes to Iraq scandal reached it's head)... 1988 vintage about 10,000 UKP... Better be *damn* good for that kind of money given that the PROMs will be fading by now. ;)

James Bruce Gil said:
DMc, One day we'll have standard sized nuts and bolt heads. I fancy I'll die befor it happens but you just may see it.Kind regards & spew on,
The issue is inferior or low-tensile tools from Asia w/ low regard for exacting specifications. On another note, exporting those jobs overseas forces us to improve our knowledge-base economy. Bethlehem Steel filed for bankruptcy in 2001 due to cheap asian imports (dumping, combined w/ china's up until recently-"pegged", protectionist, mafia-style, currency market.)

limerickman said:

Econ 101 by BW. Stock market does well. Investors make money. Investors with extra money buy new house, car, and go on vacation. People who build the house and car make money. Then they hire some workers, or maybe give existing workers a raise in pay. All those people pay some part of their income in taxes= revenue. That makes the Clintons happy. Hilary eats a doughnut, Bill gets a beaner from Monica:D

James Bruce Gil said:
DMc,

Kind regards & spew on,

When can we expect the funeral? Soon I hope.
What about threads then?

davidmc said:
The issue is inferior or low-tensile tools from Asia w/ low regard for exacting specifications. On another note, exporting those jobs overseas forces us to improve our knowledge-base economy. Bethlehem Steel filed for bankruptcy in 2001 due to cheap asian imports (dumping, combined w/ china's up until recently-"pegged", protectionist, mafia-style, currency market.)

There is an easy way out of the China situation if the Neo-con idealogues could stomach it. Buy lots of Chinese currency or devalue the dollar. The harder way out is to do a EU style thing. The Neocons have shot that one in the head by being so bloody obnoxious *despite* the 100+ years of wars, puppet dictators and meddling in South American politics that the US has indulged in.

In practice what is happening is the fat cats are getting fatter by moving their enterprises to cheaper labour markets (which their "free trade" obsession facilitates). Meanwhile the poor saps left behind get to fight over the scraps.

So much for brand America loyalty from the people running the show, eh ?

You see lots of Russian fat cats who think in a similar vein here in London, and of course the UK itself has suffered from that kind of short-termist "I'm alright Jack" no-think for at least three if not four decades now.

davidmc said:
I have never-again owned chinese or taiwanese tools after purchasing a couple & having them snap or round-off bolts. They are inferior to american one's. If you contend otherwise then you are sadly mistaken :(
I have been using hand and machine tools for more than 35 years.I was given a stanley hand plane of recent vintage.The sole was not flat,the iron could not be sharpened properly and the adjuster was crooked.At 1/6 the price,I replaced it with a chinese plane,a mujingfang,which is superb.I also use power tools,almost all of which have been made ,if not in china,then in asia.I have a Bosch router(made in malaysia) which has been used heavily for the last 10 years and works fine now.I also have had a Jet bandsaw (taiwan) for 6 years and it's superb.The taiwanese socket set is precise and I have never rounded a bolt because of the tools.Altendorf,generally reckoned to be the rolls-royce of panel saws,are now being made in china with no loss of quality.
If you can find out where most american tools are manufactured (many manufacturers don't like consumers to know) you would be surprised.Take a close look at the components of an "american" car and you will find that most of the components aren't made in the us.
American tools may have deserved their reputation for quality once,before WWll,but not any more.I'm also a member of boat-building and wood-working forums and I know a lot of people who use tools for a living and they are unanimous about the poor quality of us tools,stanley in particular.I don't doubt that some good tools are still being made in the us (Lie-Nielsen are very good,but overpriced) but as I said,they can no longer compete. :)