CK Hubs On Campy 10

Al Frost

Guest
Any issues running Chris King Hubs on Campy 10spd. CK web page says you
can't. I assume they mean that the hubs don't come with Campy cassettes
splines. TIA

On Jun 13, 6:21 am, Al Frost <[email protected]> wrote:
> Any issues running Chris King Hubs on Campy 10spd.  CK web page says you
> can't.  I assume they mean that the hubs don't come with Campy cassettes
> splines.  TIA

Not true afaik. BUT our expereince is that CK hubs, in spite of their
really nice headset, are a $100 answer to a $25 question. I thnk DT
are a much better choice and I'm sure they have a Campag compartible
freehub.

Shouldn't that be a $300 answer to a $200 question? (Assuming the
$100 Ultegra answer isn't good enough...)

JG

Al Frost wrote:
> Any issues running Chris King Hubs on Campy 10spd. CK web page says you
> can't. I assume they mean that the hubs don't come with Campy cassettes
> splines. TIA

that is correct. you can use a conversion cassette, but there's not a
lot of point.

imo, ck hubs are one of the worst out there - especially for the price -
because their aluminum freehub body gets chewed by cassette sprockets.
you'd think someone would do the math on loading vs. yield, and wonder
why shimano, mavic, phil, etc. use steel/ti for their shallow spline
freehub bodies, but apparently not.

On Jun 13, 7:21 am, Al Frost <[email protected]> wrote:
> Any issues running Chris King Hubs on Campy 10spd. CK web page says you
> can't. I assume they mean that the hubs don't come with Campy cassettes
> splines. TIA

Oh, man - get yourself a Campy Record rear hub and a Tune Mig 75
front. Cheaper, better. I would say get the Record front too but it
is only available in 32 and 36 and heavier than necessary.

The new Campy Record rear weighs less (IIRC) than the King and has the
really trick and very easy to adjust bearing preload. 290 gms with
skewer. No expensive King-supplied tools necessary for maintenance,
silky smooth.

Get yourself some Aerohead rims (OC rear) and build them up. With the
right spokes you could easily be down around 1550 gms, maybe less
depending on your weight.

D'ohBoy

The faster, the slower.

Al Frost said:
Any issues running Chris King Hubs on Campy 10spd. CK web page says you
can't. I assume they mean that the hubs don't come with Campy cassettes
splines. TIA
DT or White Industries make Campy compatible rear hub.
Campy rear hub itself is a good value for long term use.

On 2008-06-13 14:36:44 +0200, Qui si parla Campagnolo
<[email protected]> said:

> On Jun 13, 6:21 am, Al Frost <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Any issues running Chris King Hubs on Campy 10spd.  CK web page says you

>> can't.  I assume they mean that the hubs don't come with Campy cassettes

>> splines.  TIA

> Not true afaik. BUT our expereince is that CK hubs, in spite of their
> really nice headset, are a $100 answer to a $25 question. I thnk DT
> are a much better choice and I'm sure they have a Campag compartible
> freehub.

Imho DT 240 doesn't offer any advantage over Record hubs.
Even a Record Hub + a HG spare body cost less than a DT 240 hubset with
Shimano body.

If CK hubs is a 100$ answar to a 25$ question DT's are a 99$ answar to
the same question.

CK's are rediculios expensive and DT's are just expensive. The hubset
to beat is Record +07. Half the price of DT 240, lower rolling
resistance and easyer and cheaper in matianence. The weight is similar.

--
mvh. Morten Reippuert Knudsen

"Besides, if you can't get a decent kernal panic
or two in a month, what's the point of living?"

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> On Jun 14, 2:24 pm, Morten Reippuert Knudsen <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> On 2008-06-13 14:36:44 +0200, Qui si parla Campagnolo
>> <[email protected]> said:

>>> Not true afaik. BUT our expereince is that CK hubs, in spite of their
>>> really nice headset, are a $100 answer to a $25 question. I thnk DT
>>> are a much better choice and I'm sure they have a Campag compartible
>>> freehub.

>> Imho DT 240 doesn't offer any advantage over Record hubs.
>> Even a Record Hub + a HG spare body cost less than a DT 240 hubset with
>> Shimano body.
>>
>> If CK hubs is a 100$ answar to a 25$ question DT's are a 99$ answar to
>> the same question.
>>
>> CK's are rediculios expensive and DT's are just expensive. The hubset
>> to beat is Record +07. Half the price of DT 240, lower rolling
>> resistance and easyer and cheaper in matianence. The weight is similar.
>>
>> --
>> mvh. Morten Reippuert Knudsen
>>
>> "Besides, if you can't get a decent kernal panic
>> or two in a month, what's the point of living?"

> I agree with everything you have said. If Campagnolo, Record, Chorus/
> Centaur(2006 earlier) are our first choices. If shimano, DA(7850) or
> ultegra. My point, in a field of poor aftermarket hubs out there, DT
> are the only ones we use or advocate. Some just want the bling even if
> there is no real advantage to them.

I do think that DT240 hubs are better sealed then Record hubs. I use
both. Record on my road bikes, DT240 on my foul weather bikes (ATB,
Singlespeed). I took a DT240 hub apart on my ATB after two years. I was
impressed how well the grease still looked in the ball bearings.
Record/Chorus/Centaur hubs are so easy to maintain though.

Lou