Clamp for top tube

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Ken Huizenga, Mar 20, 2003.

  1. Ken Huizenga

    Ken Huizenga Guest

    I am getting a new folding Gold Rush LWB and I want it to work with my Polar S710 heart rate monitor
    / bicycle computer. It is wireless. I'm guessing that it won't get the signal if I mount the
    computer/watch on the handle-bars...it only works if it is about 18" or less from the sensor on the
    front fork.

    Looking at the design of the Gold Rush & Tour Easy it appears to me that the best option would be to
    mount some sort of a short tube to the front of the top tube so that it is perpendicular to the top
    tube and parralel to the ground...understand? That way I'm pretty sure I could get it in range and
    also be able to see it.

    Is anyone familiar with how I might do this? I essense what I am looking for is very similar to the
    type of handlebar extension which tightens onto instead of inside of the handlebars, except this
    would need to have a larger diameter suitable to the top tube of the Gold Rush.

    Ken Huizenga [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. Hi, Ken, firstly, are you sure about that 18"?

    I had a wireless Vetta on my Ti-Rush and it worked perfectly with the main unit attached to the
    handlebars.

    Also, you might want to consider trading your unit in for one that will fit on the handlebars. If
    you compromise now, you will spend the rest of your time wishing you had got an instrument that
    would complement your lovely new bike.

    Lewis.

    http://home.earthlink.net/~limeylew/index.html

    ***************

    "Ken Huizenga" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I am getting a new folding Gold Rush LWB and I want it to work with my Polar S710 heart rate
    > monitor / bicycle computer. It is wireless. I'm guessing that it won't get the signal if I mount
    > the computer/watch on the handle-bars...it only works if it is about 18" or less from the sensor
    > on the front fork.
    >
    > Looking at the design of the Gold Rush & Tour Easy it appears to me that the best option would be
    > to mount some sort of a short tube to the front of the top tube so that it is perpendicular to the
    > top tube and parralel to the ground...understand? That way I'm pretty sure I could get it in range
    > and also be able to see it.
    >
    > Is anyone familiar with how I might do this? I essense what I am looking for is very similar to
    > the type of handlebar extension which tightens onto instead of inside of the handlebars, except
    > this would need to have a larger diameter suitable to the top tube of the Gold Rush.
    >

    > Ken Huizenga [email protected]

  3. Ken Huizenga

    Ken Huizenga Guest

    Lewis:

    Thanks for your comments. You're absolutely right about not "compromising." I'm into "problem
    solving mode", not compromising mode:)

    The official polar manual mentions 20" and I've found this to be the limit. I'd really like to stick
    with this "puter" if possible because:
    1. It stores data from the ride. It is a great way to track total miles, progress on MPH, hours of
    exercise, etc. I use my heart rate monitor not only for bike riding but all cross training. This
    putur even stores altitude and temperature. It is expensive $350 or so, but worth it.
    2. It uploads to my computer and there are a lot of useful graphs to view training progress,
    goals, etc.
    3. I have sensors and magnets installed on my mountain bike and road bike which communicate with the
    heart rate monitor/computer. I'd like to stick with one system because everything can go into my
    computerized tracking program. It is very easy for me to simply detach the watch/computer from
    each bike...30 seconds or less.
    4. I use one receiver/watch and really don't have to buy another bike computer.

    Having said all of this, I realize that having to read the bike computer at top tube level may not
    be ideal. I may end up getting a basic computer which I CAN mount to the handlebars, even if it is
    not wireless and then collect the data on my heart rate monitor in addition to that, possibly even
    off the rear wheel.

    Ken

    "Lewis Campbell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, Ken, firstly, are you sure about that 18"?
    >
    > I had a wireless Vetta on my Ti-Rush and it worked perfectly with the main unit attached to the
    > handlebars.
    >
    > Also, you might want to consider trading your unit in for one that will fit on the handlebars. If
    > you compromise now, you will spend the rest of your time wishing you had got an instrument that
    > would complement your lovely new bike.
    >
    > Lewis.
    >
    > http://home.earthlink.net/~limeylew/index.html
    >
    > ***************
    >
    > "Ken Huizenga" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I am getting a new folding Gold Rush LWB and I want it to work with my
    Polar
    > > S710 heart rate monitor / bicycle computer. It is wireless. I'm
    guessing
    > > that it won't get the signal if I mount the computer/watch on the handle-bars...it only works if
    > > it is about 18" or less from the sensor
    on
    > > the front fork.
    > >
    > > Looking at the design of the Gold Rush & Tour Easy it appears to me that
    the
    > > best option would be to mount some sort of a short tube to the front of
    the
    > > top tube so that it is perpendicular to the top tube and parralel to the ground...understand?
    > > That way I'm pretty sure I could get it in range
    and
    > > also be able to see it.
    > >
    > > Is anyone familiar with how I might do this? I essense what I am
    looking
    > > for is very similar to the type of handlebar extension which tightens
    onto
    > > instead of inside of the handlebars, except this would need to have a
    larger
    > > diameter suitable to the top tube of the Gold Rush.
    > >

    > > Ken Huizenga [email protected]

  4. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    "Ken Huizenga" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Is anyone familiar with how I might do this? I essense what I am looking for is very similar to
    > the type of handlebar extension which tightens onto instead of inside of the handlebars, except
    > this would need to have a larger diameter suitable to the top tube of the Gold Rush.

    Ken: you need a Cronometro Nob: http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/accessories.asp .

    This is a little accessory mount that straps to any round bar and accepts a computer or light. It
    should fit your Fold's top tube. If it were me trying to do this, I'd homebrew something with PVC
    pipe and a zip tie.

    Jeff

  5. Ken Huizenga

    Ken Huizenga Guest

    Jeff: Thanks. There is also a similar computer mount from Profile Design:

    http://www.profile-design.com/acc_KarbonGap.html

    I'm not sure if either of these will be big enougn in diameter for me to mount on the top tube.
    However, I think I can probably use the handlebar stem and still stay within 20 inches. Both of
    these designs should work for that.

    To put something on the top tube I think the cyclopblock or the flashlight holder from Twofish
    Unlimited would probably work.

    http://www.twofishunlimited.com/bike.html

    Thanks for your help...I think I have several workable options to try.

    Ken

    news:[email protected]...