clamp on cable guide for oddball frame dia....

crossnutz

Guest
Im setting up a singlespeed/fixie, and have decided to
add rear brake for those freewheel moments. I'd like to
use a clamp on cable guide like the old school campy ones
(which I have) but my frame dia is ~32.2mm according to
the calipers.

Any ideas for finding a nice guide or do I resort to
stickies and zipties.

Scott

You can avoid the entire cable guide issue and get far better braking
performance by skipping the rear brake and installing one on the front
(assuming, of course, that your fork crown is drilled for a brake.

Otherwise, see if your LBS or a riding buddy has a QBP (Quality Bike
Parts) catalog....I seem to remember seing a bunch of cable guides of
varying diameters listed.

agree about the front brake being a much smarter solution.

If you do decide to go for a rear brake as well, you might want to see
if you can get cable stops vs. cable guides--the less cable housing,
the smoother the feel. *G*

that said, I have vintage chrome 70s Dura-Ace cable guides on my SS and
they look quite ol' school and sexy.

:D

landotter wrote:
> agree about the front brake being a much smarter solution.
>
> If you do decide to go for a rear brake as well, you might want to see
> if you can get cable stops vs. cable guides--the less cable housing,
> the smoother the feel. *G*
>
> that said, I have vintage chrome 70s Dura-Ace cable guides on my SS and
> they look quite ol' school and sexy.
>
> :D

I decided to add some clarification.....
Always planned on a front brake. Only installing rear brake if I weenie
out and flip to freewheel........make sense?

Cable stops? good looking ones available? no clunky machined aluminum
hinged frankenstein chunks?

Scott

In article <[email protected]>,
crossnutz <[email protected]> wrote:

> landotter wrote:
> > agree about the front brake being a much smarter solution.
> >
> > If you do decide to go for a rear brake as well, you might want to see
> > if you can get cable stops vs. cable guides--the less cable housing,
> > the smoother the feel. *G*
> >
> > that said, I have vintage chrome 70s Dura-Ace cable guides on my SS and
> > they look quite ol' school and sexy.
> >
> > :D
> >

> I decided to add some clarification.....
> Always planned on a front brake. Only installing rear brake if I weenie
> out and flip to freewheel........make sense?
>
> Cable stops? good looking ones available? no clunky machined aluminum
> hinged frankenstein chunks?

What kind of frame? How about brazing on cable stops, and
touching up the finish?

--
Michael Press

crossnutz wrote:
> Im setting up a singlespeed/fixie, and have decided to
> add rear brake for those freewheel moments. I'd like to
> use a clamp on cable guide like the old school campy ones
> (which I have) but my frame dia is ~32.2mm according to
> the calipers.
>
> Any ideas for finding a nice guide or do I resort to
> stickies and zipties.
>
> Scott

QBP has some various sized clampon cable stops.

Michael Press wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> crossnutz <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> landotter wrote:
>>> agree about the front brake being a much smarter solution.
>>>
>>> If you do decide to go for a rear brake as well, you might want to see
>>> if you can get cable stops vs. cable guides--the less cable housing,
>>> the smoother the feel. *G*
>>>
>>> that said, I have vintage chrome 70s Dura-Ace cable guides on my SS and
>>> they look quite ol' school and sexy.
>>>
>>> :D
>>>

>> I decided to add some clarification.....
>> Always planned on a front brake. Only installing rear brake if I weenie
>> out and flip to freewheel........make sense?
>>
>> Cable stops? good looking ones available? no clunky machined aluminum
>> hinged frankenstein chunks?

> What kind of frame? How about brazing on cable stops, and
> touching up the finish?

Steel frame, could do the braze on thing, but rear brake really won't be
needed 98% of the time, so now I'm leaning towards bagging the whole
rear brake idea. In a perverse way, I was kinda looking forward to the
ridicule my friends were going to dish out for having a rear brake.

Scott