Clamp-on shifter bosses?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Neacalban1, Mar 20, 2004.

  1. Neacalban1

    Neacalban1 Guest

    Anyone know of any company that makes a clamp-on shifter
    boss to allow use of either STI,bar-ends,or newer DT
    shifters? a friend has a Guerciotti from the 70's that has
    clamp-ons.and he would switch to brifters if he could.
    thanks, Nick

    Tags:

  2. Mseries

    Mseries Guest

    Neacalban1 wrote:
    > Anyone know of any company that makes a clamp-on shifter
    > boss to allow use of either STI,bar-ends,or newer DT
    > shifters? a friend has a Guerciotti from the 70's that has
    > clamp-ons.and he would switch to brifters if he could.
    > thanks, Nick

    Mmm, I have 105 clamp on DT shifters from, the 80's and
    AFAIK they levers can be removed and a the DT cable stop can
    be fitted. I have not tried it but I know that Dura Ace DT
    levers will fit the band.

  3. "Neacalban1" wrote:
    > Anyone know of any company that makes a clamp-on shifter
    > boss to allow use
    of
    > either STI,bar-ends,or newer DT shifters? a friend has a
    > Guerciotti from
    the
    > 70's that has clamp-ons.and he would switch to brifters if
    > he could.

    See:

    http://rivendellbicycles.com/webalog/shifters_derailleurs/-
    17109.html (These stops will work for STI or bar ends, not
    DT shifters)

    and

    http://www.lickbike.com/i0587200.htm (This one may need some
    tweaking to work with shifters designed for Campy bosses.)

    Art Harris

  4. Phil Brown

    Phil Brown Guest

    >> Anyone know of any company that makes a clamp-on shifter
    >> boss to allow
    >use of
    >> either STI,bar-ends,or newer DT shifters? a friend has a
    >> Guerciotti from
    >the
    >> 70's that has clamp-ons.and he would switch to brifters
    >> if he could.
    >
    >See:
    >
    >http://rivendellbicycles.com/webalog/shifters_derailleurs/-
    >17109.html (These stops will work for STI or bar ends, not
    >DT shifters)
    >
    >and
    >
    >http://www.lickbike.com/i0587200.htm (This one may
    >need some tweaking to work with shifters designed for
    >Campy bosses.)

    What's the problem. The Riv piece is kinda clunky and the
    other is just a clamp on lever mount. Why not just get a
    clamp on stop? Very common not to many years ago and I'll
    bet if your LBS has been in usiness for a while he'll have
    one on a box of old stuff that may cost oyou all of a
    dollar. I've got a couple but they're Campy and would cost
    more than a buck. Why make things more complex than they
    need to be? Phil Brown

  5. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    Phil Brown wrote:
    > What's the problem. The Riv piece is kinda clunky and the
    > other is just a clamp on lever mount. Why not just get a
    > clamp on stop? Very common not to many years ago and I'll
    > bet if your LBS has been in usiness for a while he'll have
    > one on a box of old stuff that may cost oyou all of a
    > dollar. I've got a couple but they're Campy and would cost
    > more than a buck. Why make things more complex than they
    > need to be?

    These disappeared for a few years. Now Shimano makes a nice
    one at $5~$6

    --
    Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1
    April, 1971