Clampdown on pavement cycling.

> In today's local paper:
>
> http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zpath.htm

The statistics on casualties in accidents between cyclist and
pedestrian on a footway between 1999 and 2002 (the latest figures) are
set out in the following table:

Casualties
Severity 1999 2000 2001 2002
Killed 1 0 0 0
Serious 25 17 16 14
Slight 61 48 38 37
All 87 65 54 51

Wow one fatality in 4 years, and that may have been the cyclist
not the pedestrian. Note all the figures are declining too.

Incidently how many cyclists avoided death or seriously injury by
being on the pavement rather than the road?

My guess would be about 300.

Also;-
In 1999 - the last time nationally updated statistics were made available -
there were 200,000 DIY injuries in the UK and 70 deaths

So 40,000 ( *forty* *thousand* ) times more people are injured in DIY
accidents than by pavement cycling.

Time to introduce on the spot fines for DIYers?

"half_pint" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> Wow one fatality in 4 years, and that may have been the cyclist
> not the pedestrian. Note all the figures are declining too.

It's illegal to cycle on the pavement and the police's job to uphold the law
.. I don't suppose anyone has ever been killed by having a jimmy riddle on a
pavement, but they get fined 80 quid. Nearly 3 times as much as an illegal
cyclist.

--
Simon M.

> In today's local paper:
>
> http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zpath.htm

And when the number of cyclists (mainly children) killed on the roads in
Hull
doubles due the actions of some mindless jobs worth will it be all
worthwhile?

Maybe the money raised can be put towards tthe funeral of the first young
child
crushed to death under the wheels of a hothatchback as a result of being
forced
onto the road?

> --
> Simon M.

> "half_pint" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >

> > Wow one fatality in 4 years, and that may have been the cyclist
> > not the pedestrian. Note all the figures are declining too.
> >

> It's illegal to cycle on the pavement and the police's job to uphold the

law
> . I don't suppose anyone has ever been killed by having a jimmy riddle on

> pavement, but they get fined 80 quid. Nearly 3 times as much as an illegal
> cyclist.

It a real shame it was not illegal to be an idiot because it it were a
whole lot of lives would be saved.

> --
> Simon M.

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 16:30:00 -0000, "half_pint"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>My guess would be about 300.

Which remains exactly that: a guess. Go and find some facts.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at CHS, Puget Sound

> half_pint wrote:
> > "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >
> >>In today's local paper:
> >>
> >>http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zpath.htm

> [...]
> > Maybe the money raised can be put towards tthe funeral of the first

young
> > child
> > crushed to death under the wheels of a hothatchback as a result of being
> > forced
> > onto the road?

> You didn't read the article then.

You don't have a brain then.

> Colin

"half_pint" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Nice to see they both have big smug smiles on their faces,
> I hope they will still be grinning when they are removing the remains of
> a child from under grill of a car.
> All in a days work.

The police said in the article that they will not charge children for
pavement cycling, only youths and adults. They are only responding to
complaints from local residents, which is surely what we want the police to
do isn't it?

--
Simon M.

half_pint wrote:
> "Colin Blackburn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>You didn't read the article then.

> You don't have a brain then.

Third column, fifth paragraph from the end just in case you need a hand
with yours.

Colin

half_pint wrote:

> It a real shame it was not illegal to be an idiot because it it were a
> whole lot of lives would be saved.

IRTA "It's a real shame it is not illegal to be an idiot because if it were,
uk.rec.cycling wouldn't have to waste its collective time trying to hammer
clue into illiterate sub-epsilons like the troll known as
half_wit^h^h^hpint".

--

McTavish the Unmentionable

> On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 16:30:00 -0000, "half_pint"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >My guess would be about 300.

> Which remains exactly that: a guess. Go and find some facts.

http://www.rospa.org.uk/roadsafety/advice/cycling/cycling_accidents.htm
Over 2,500 cyclists are killed or seriously injured on the roads
(138 dead in 201), had they been cycling on the pavement
that figure would be 0.

1 person killed by a cyclist in 5 years.

Yet society prefers that 490 cyclists die rather than 1 pedestrian,
some strange logic there.

> Guy
> --
> May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
> http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
>
> 88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at CHS, Puget Sound

"half_pint" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>> Which remains exactly that: a guess. Go and find some facts.

> http://www.rospa.org.uk/roadsafety/advice/cycling/cycling_accidents.htm
> Over 2,500 cyclists are killed or seriously injured on the roads
> (138 dead in 201), had they been cycling on the pavement
> that figure would be 0.

How on earth does anyone find an endless pavement that takes one from A to
B without crossing any road at right angles? What you are inferring is that
no cyclist is ever killed crossing the road hopping from one pavement to
another. I can think of half a dozen in the past few years in my home city
alone.

--
Simon M.

On 7/12/04 5:06 pm, in article [email protected], "half_pint"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 16:30:00 -0000, "half_pint"
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> My guess would be about 300.

>> Which remains exactly that: a guess. Go and find some facts.

> http://www.rospa.org.uk/roadsafety/advice/cycling/cycling_accidents.htm
> Over 2,500 cyclists are killed or seriously injured on the roads
> (138 dead in 201), had they been cycling on the pavement
> that figure would be 0.
>
> 1 person killed by a cyclist in 5 years.
>
> Yet society prefers that 490 cyclists die rather than 1 pedestrian,
> some strange logic there.

Your strange logic assumes that pavements are continuous and go everywhere
that cyclsits want to go. Many of the deaths/collisions where cyclists
coming off the pavement into the road, so they count as road accidents.
You also assume that the numbers quoted only include roads and not the
pavements. this is not the case.

Unless you have invented teleportation for cyclists, you are talking
twaddle.

...d

> "half_pint" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>

> > Nice to see they both have big smug smiles on their faces,
> > I hope they will still be grinning when they are removing the remains of
> > a child from under grill of a car.
> > All in a days work.

> The police said in the article that they will not charge children for
> pavement cycling, only youths and adults. They are only responding to
> complaints from local residents, which is surely what we want the police

> do isn't it?

Ah so adult deaths are OK then, however children will still be
educated to get themselves killed by the wiser 'adults' (read arseholes).

They are not listening to local cyclists, the resident are selfish bastards
who should be strung up.

> --
> Simon M.

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 17:06:42 -0000, "half_pint"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> >My guess would be about 300.

>> Which remains exactly that: a guess. Go and find some facts.

>http://www.rospa.org.uk/roadsafety/advice/cycling/cycling_accidents.htm
>Over 2,500 cyclists are killed or seriously injured on the roads
>(138 dead in 201), had they been cycling on the pavement
>that figure would be 0.

Assuming they did not die on the pavements, but the research shows
that pavement cycling is actually more dangerous so your argument
falls.

There is also the small matter of the 80 or so people killed on the
footways by motor drivers every year.

You are arguing form false premises. Go and find some facts.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at CHS, Puget Sound

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 17:13:09 -0000, "half_pint"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Ah so adult deaths are OK then, however children will still be
>educated to get themselves killed by the wiser 'adults' (read arseholes).

<whoop!> <whoop!> False Assumption Alert! <whoop!> <whoop!>

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at CHS, Puget Sound

> "half_pint" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >>
> >> Which remains exactly that: a guess. Go and find some facts.

> > http://www.rospa.org.uk/roadsafety/advice/cycling/cycling_accidents.htm
> > Over 2,500 cyclists are killed or seriously injured on the roads
> > (138 dead in 201), had they been cycling on the pavement
> > that figure would be 0.
> >

> How on earth does anyone find an endless pavement that takes one from A

> B without crossing any road at right angles? What you are inferring is

that
> no cyclist is ever killed crossing the road hopping from one pavement to
> another. I can think of half a dozen in the past few years in my home city
> alone.

And no dount of dozens of pedestrians too.