Clamping a carbon seatpost to a repair stand?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by CyclinYooper, Apr 21, 2011.

1. CyclinYooper

CyclinYooper New Member

I have an aluminum framed bike with 3T Dorico seatpost. I'd like to get a home repair stand, but I had a question for the folks on here: can I clamp the stand to that seatpost? The website through which I wanted to order recommends that you don't attach to carbon seat-posts .... but the 3T is a pretty robust post. I can't see it getting damaged, I guess.

Thanks, Scott

Tags:

2. davereo

davereo Well-Known Member

I have a Nashbar workstand that I clamp on my Carbon seatpost. No problems here.

3. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

Some carbon fiber seatposts are more robust than others & some are more fragile. You can take your chances, but securing a bike in a workstand via a carbon fiber seatpost is generally not a good idea and a comparatively inexpensive aluminum seatpost which is the correct size for the frame is commonly substituted ...

That is, it's probably better to spend $5-to-$20 for an inexpensive alloy seatpost which you will use to clamp the bike to the workstand OR choose a stand which clamps the bike to the workstand via the front fork.

4. MMMhills

MMMhills Active Member

I clamp my stand to my seat post and I also have a 3T doric ltd their lightest one. I do have an ultimate pro stand so the clamping mechanism allows for very precise and gentle pressure. If I were you I would find a stand that rotated so you could clamp the aluminum top tube of the frame or buy a cheap aluminum seat post.

5. CyclinYooper

CyclinYooper New Member

Thanks guys! I might give it a try. Scott