'clanking noise in pedal/crank

finlander

Mar 26, 2007
Jut got this Diamondback at ****'s on Sunday. Rode 12 mi then and 7.5 mi tonight. On both return trips a noise, a clank sound has started when my right foot has bottomed out. Yesterday I removed it and looked it over. Put it back on and rode it a few blocks. No noise. I felt it in the ball of my foot, like it was coming from the pedal. It looks all plastic, but there might be a metal sleeve in the core. Dont know yet. And the way back tonight it started in again, and then it added a 2nd tink in as well. Any ideas? I dont believe it is rubbing anywhere else. Thanks.

finlander said:
Jut got this Diamondback at ****'s on Sunday. Rode 12 mi then and 7.5 mi tonight. On both return trips a noise, a clank sound has started when my right foot has bottomed out. Yesterday I removed it and looked it over. Put it back on and rode it a few blocks. No noise. I felt it in the ball of my foot, like it was coming from the pedal. It looks all plastic, but there might be a metal sleeve in the core. Dont know yet. And the way back tonight it started in again, and then it added a 2nd tink in as well. Any ideas? I dont believe it is rubbing anywhere else. Thanks.
What I forgot to add was that when I take my foot off that pedal the noise stops. Is there a way to grease the crank, inside??? Is it sealed permanently??

finlander said:
What I forgot to add was that when I take my foot off that pedal the noise stops. Is there a way to grease the crank, inside??? Is it sealed permanently??
I think that it may in the pedal not the crank. Try turning the cranks while the rear wheel is off of the ground and see if you can reproduce it either by holding the pedal or crank arm. It may require some load on the drivetrain so this test may not work. Perhaps try a pedal from another bike. Most Diamondbacks probably have a sealed bottom bracket (crank) bearing. If you can't figure it out, you may need to take it to a real bike shop.

From your description and having had a similar problem myself, it sounds as if it may be a pedal. If you got this Diamond Back from ****'s, the pedal is probably plastic and sealed. If there is a removable cap on the outside end of the pedal body, you can remove it and disassemble the pedal. On a new bike, you would need to look for a broken bearing or a foreign object in the pedal bearings. If there is no cap, then the pedal will have to be replaced.

Actually, if I were in your position, I would take it back to ****'s and let them fix it. It should still be under warranty.