Clarendon Street, Melbourne

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by [email protected], Jan 6, 2005.

  1. Some bright spark's decided that traffic doesn't flow down Clarendon
    street well enough so has redesigned the road.

    One of the cross roads, and if the road markings are anything to go by
    it'll be a total of three, now have the nearside lane exclusively for
    left AND right turns. To enforce this they've built up the pavement
    opposite the nearside lane making it mandatory to use the offside lane
    to go straight on.

    So now instead of cruising along relatively care free I've got to plonk
    myself in front of motorists, holding them up as I make progress. How
    bone is that?
    --
    Bewildered
    Euan

    Tags:

  2. tortoise

    tortoise New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2004
    And as a motorist who drives that way every day I find it a pain in the butt as well.....

  3. NickZX6R

    NickZX6R Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Some bright spark's decided that traffic doesn't flow down Clarendon
    > street well enough so has redesigned the road.
    >
    > One of the cross roads, and if the road markings are anything to go by
    > it'll be a total of three, now have the nearside lane exclusively for
    > left AND right turns. To enforce this they've built up the pavement
    > opposite the nearside lane making it mandatory to use the offside lane
    > to go straight on.
    >
    > So now instead of cruising along relatively care free I've got to plonk
    > myself in front of motorists, holding them up as I make progress. How
    > bone is that?

    It's a trial for extending hook turns beyond the CBD area.

    I haven't been down there since they've made the changes but I can
    imagine it doesn't help cyclists much.

    --
    Nick

  4. Shabby

    Shabby New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2003
    It's a trial, and Port Phillip are amongst the most bike friendly councils. Hence, direct your feedback to [email protected] or
    http://www.portphillip.vic.gov.au/cgi-bin/emailus.cgi

    And CC Bart at BV a copy so they know what's going on: [email protected]

  5. Marx SS

    Marx SS New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2004
    Whole problem with metro roads when I cycle I think are the concrete gutters & how they're so steep (right angle step type). If these gutters were more smoother or slopped or maybe even the road edge was level with the footpath , it'll help heaps with riding around cars that are up against the curb (when they're turning etc).
    At the moment it's real awkward to hop the gutter & really restricts what you can make of available space around other traffic.

  6. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "Marx SS" <[email protected]
    > Whole problem with metro roads when I cycle I think are the concrete
    > gutters & how they're so steep (right angle step type). If these
    > gutters were more smoother or slopped or maybe even the road edge was
    > level with the footpath , it'll help heaps with riding around cars that
    > are up against the curb (when they're turning etc).
    > At the moment it's real awkward to hop the gutter & really restricts
    > what you can make of available space around other traffic.

    Peds might not like the ease with which bikes can then
    hop up/over the curb..

    hippy

  7. Marx SS

    Marx SS New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2004
    That’s OK, pedestrains haven’t complained about all the other obstructions which now adorne most metro footways.
    There’s a wheelchair guy in my neighbourhood that travells on the roads now because the footpaths are not navigatable, what with all the el-fresco dining, shop front merch, A-broads/signage, bins, barracards, posts & badly placed gutter ‘ramps’)
    It’s worse today, more than it has ever been. Last thing footpaths are considered for is pedestrain traffic by the looks, besides............doesn’t everyone drive?

  8. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "Marx SS" <[email protected]
    > That's OK, pedestrains haven't complained about all the other
    > obstructions which now adorne most metro footways.
    > There's a wheelchair guy in my neighbourhood that travells on the roads
    > now because the footpaths are not navigatable, what with all the
    > el-fresco dining, shop front merch, A-broads/signage, bins, barracards,
    > posts & badly placed gutter 'ramps')
    > It's worse today, more than it has ever been. Last thing footpaths are
    > considered for is pedestrain traffic by the looks,
    > besides............doesn't everyone drive?

    Oooh noo...
    Don't get me started on footpaths and their lack of room for feet!
    Frickin' Glenferrie Rd.
    Frickin' cafe latte poseurs
    Frickin' alfresco smokers
    Frickin' yuppie '4x4 style' prams that don't fit through the gaps
    Frickin' people stopping to chat in the tiny remaining gaps

    guess one of hippy's pet hates.. ;-)

  9. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    hippy wrote:

    > Oooh noo...
    > Don't get me started on footpaths and their lack of room for feet!
    > Frickin' Glenferrie Rd.
    > Frickin' cafe latte poseurs
    > Frickin' alfresco smokers
    > Frickin' yuppie '4x4 style' prams that don't fit through the gaps
    > Frickin' people stopping to chat in the tiny remaining gaps
    >
    > guess one of hippy's pet hates.. ;-)

    Sounds like someone needs to go for a gentle Sunday ride to St Andrews.
    No footpaths at all to worry about out there.

    DaveB

  10. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "DaveB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > hippy wrote:
    > > Oooh noo...
    > > Don't get me started on footpaths and their lack of room for feet!
    > > Frickin' Glenferrie Rd.
    > > Frickin' cafe latte poseurs
    > > Frickin' alfresco smokers
    > > Frickin' yuppie '4x4 style' prams that don't fit through the gaps
    > > Frickin' people stopping to chat in the tiny remaining gaps
    > >
    > > guess one of hippy's pet hates.. ;-)

    > Sounds like someone needs to go for a gentle Sunday ride to St Andrews.
    > No footpaths at all to worry about out there.

    Nah.. coz all the yuppie wankers drive their X5's
    into the hills on weekends and drink wines instead
    of latte..

    hippy
    - looking for budget anger management courses

  11. Johnny O-R

    Johnny O-R New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2004
    Maybe a chat over a latte?

    Time to move to the country...

  12. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "Johnny O-R" <[email protected]
    > hippy Wrote:
    > > looking for budget anger management courses

    > Maybe a chat over a latte?

    hehe.. sure.. let me find the whisky..

    > Time to move to the country...

    Move country? Working on it..

    hippy

  13. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 at 06:24 GMT, hippy (aka Bruce)
    > "Johnny O-R" <[email protected]
    >> hippy Wrote:
    >> > looking for budget anger management courses

    >> Maybe a chat over a latte?

    > hehe.. sure.. let me find the whisky..

    My co-supervisor came back today, after being away for 3 months or
    so. With a bottle of Japanese single malt.

    Shift to the Left;
    Shift to the Right
    Pop up; Push down
    Byte! Byte! Byte!!! --unk

  14. Dallas G

    Dallas G Guest

    in theHun so it must be true
    http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,11861490%5E2862,00.html

    Motorists face a new turn to get hooked on
    Jeremy Kelly
    06jan05

    LOOK left, look right . . . look out! A hook turn could be coming your way
    soon.

    The traffic rule that confuses and bemuses locals and visitors has spread
    outside the CBD to South Melbourne.
    Clarendon and Coventry streets yesterday became the latest intersection to
    employ hook turns, albeit on a three-month pilot.

    Hooks turns prevent trams being held up by cars turning right.

    But locals say the new rule will confuse drivers, at least in the short
    term.

    Ken Shillinglaw said: "It will confuse people because it is the first time
    they are outside the CBD, and confusion could make it counter-productive."

    East St Kilda resident Kit McPhee agreed: "It seems like a waste of money.
    Absolutely it will add to the confusion."

    Local Wayne Deakes said: "I think it will confuse people. It will take time
    to get used to them."

    But Judith Fisher, of Cheltenham, thought it was a good idea. "Yes, some
    people have problems with them . . . until they get used to it."

    Transport Minister Peter Batchelor said yesterday the alterations to
    Clarendon St were part of a $30 million program to improve travel times on
    eight tram routes.

    Barriers and the relocation of tram stops would also be part of the trial,
    he said.

    Dallas

    When in doubt, jiggle the cable.

    "TimC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 at 06:24 GMT, hippy (aka Bruce)
    >>>
    >>> Maybe a chat over a latte?

  15. "hippy" <[email protected]> wrote in > Oooh noo...
    > Don't get me started on footpaths and their lack of room for feet!
    > Frickin' Glenferrie Rd.
    > Frickin' cafe latte poseurs
    > Frickin' alfresco smokers
    > Frickin' yuppie '4x4 style' prams that don't fit through the gaps
    > Frickin' people stopping to chat in the tiny remaining gaps
    >
    > guess one of hippy's pet hates.. ;-)

    Hawthorn?

    People (not on bicycles)?

  16. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "TimC" <[email protected]

    >>> Maybe a chat over a latte?

    >> hehe.. sure.. let me find the whisky..

    > My co-supervisor came back today, after being away for 3 months or
    > so. With a bottle of Japanese single malt.

    I saw quite a few bottles of Suntory Japanese whisky
    in their convenience stores (I think it was Suntory). I
    wasn't actually game to try it though, having much more
    fun seeing how many different 1litre beer cans I could
    finish and collect.. they are nutso!

    hippy

  17. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 at 08:55 GMT, hippy (aka Bruce)
    > "TimC" <[email protected]
    >>> "Johnny O-R" <[email protected]

    >>> hehe.. sure.. let me find the whisky..

    >> My co-supervisor came back today, after being away for 3 months or
    >> so. With a bottle of Japanese single malt.

    > I saw quite a few bottles of Suntory Japanese whisky
    > in their convenience stores (I think it was Suntory). I
    > wasn't actually game to try it though, having much more
    > fun seeing how many different 1litre beer cans I could
    > finish and collect.. they are nutso!

    Who's "they"?

    "Meddle not in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle, and will
    piss on your computer." - Jeff Wilder

  18. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "TimC" <[email protected]
    > On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 at 08:55 GMT, hippy (aka Bruce)
    >> I saw quite a few bottles of Suntory Japanese whisky
    >> in their convenience stores (I think it was Suntory). I
    >> wasn't actually game to try it though, having much more
    >> fun seeing how many different 1litre beer cans I could
    >> finish and collect.. they are nutso!

    > Who's "they"?

    The Japanese.. grog in 7-11's, grog in "Coke" machines
    available to anyone, 375ml, 500ml and 1L cans of beer.
    I used to think aussies drank hard until I saw the Businessmen.

    On a cycling related note:
    http://www.cycle-info.bpaj.or.jp/english/ride/jg.html

    On a non-cycling-related note:
    http://www.dancepro.co.jp/action-machine/japanese businessman.htm

    hippy

  19. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 at 10:04 GMT, hippy (aka Bruce)
    > "TimC" <[email protected]
    >> On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 at 08:55 GMT, hippy (aka Bruce)
    >>> I saw quite a few bottles of Suntory Japanese whisky
    >>> in their convenience stores (I think it was Suntory). I
    >>> wasn't actually game to try it though, having much more
    >>> fun seeing how many different 1litre beer cans I could
    >>> finish and collect.. they are nutso!

    >> Who's "they"?

    > The Japanese.. grog in 7-11's, grog in "Coke" machines
    > available to anyone, 375ml, 500ml and 1L cans of beer.
    > I used to think aussies drank hard until I saw the Businessmen.

    Daisuke's the worst influence on *everyone*.

    I went home.... er... work early tonight, because I have to get up
    early tomorrow morning for the Warburton ride with mbtc (I joined
    lastnight). He's not corrupting me 5 hours after coming back from a 3
    month venture away, oh no!

    "I used to be better at logic problems, before I just dumped
    them all into TeX and let Knuth pick out the survivors."
    -- Plorkwort, 26 September 2004 on alt.religion.kibology

  20. >>>>> "Shabby" == Shabby <[email protected]forums.com> writes:

    Shabby> [email protected] Wrote:
    Shabby> It's a trial, and Port Phillip are amongst the most bike
    Shabby> friendly councils. Hence, direct your feedback to
    Shabby> [email protected] or
    Shabby> http://www.portphillip.vic.gov.au/cgi-bin/emailus.cgi

    Shabby> And CC Bart at BV a copy so they know what's going on:
    Shabby> [email protected]

    Thanks, I phoned BV this morning who recommended I do exactly the same
    thing. Going to drag missus down and take a couple of photos of me
    holding up cars and trams before I feed back though. Picture paints a
    thousand words etc...

    Is there any info on line about the trial?

    A simple fix would be to have a one foot gap in the obstruction, but
    that would probably fill with all sorts of crap in short order
    guaranteeing punctures.
    --
    Cheers
    Euan