Clarendon Street, Melbourne

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 18:15:12 +1100, "Dallas G" <[email protected]> wrote:

>in theHun so it must be true
>http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,11861490%5E2862,00.html
>
>Motorists face a new turn to get hooked on
>Jeremy Kelly
>06jan05
>
>LOOK left, look right . . . look out! A hook turn could be coming your way
>soon.
>
>The traffic rule that confuses and bemuses locals and visitors has spread
>outside the CBD to South Melbourne.
>Clarendon and Coventry streets yesterday became the latest intersection to
>employ hook turns, albeit on a three-month pilot.
>
>Hooks turns prevent trams being held up by cars turning right.
>
>But locals say the new rule will confuse drivers, at least in the short
>term.

<snip>

>Ken Shillinglaw said: "It will confuse people because it is the first time
>they are outside the CBD, and confusion could make it counter-productive."

People have such short memories. There used to be a hook turn in
Clarendon Street 20 to 30 years ago. Intersection of Normanby Rd, I
think. This was before Jeff's Shed was built. It was even a trick
question in the highway code test.

--
Regards.
Richard.

Some bright spark's decided that traffic doesn't flow down Clarendon
street well enough so has redesigned the road.

One of the cross roads, and if the road markings are anything to go by
it'll be a total of three, now have the nearside lane exclusively for
left AND right turns. To enforce this they've built up the pavement
opposite the nearside lane making it mandatory to use the offside lane
to go straight on.

So now instead of cruising along relatively care free I've got to plonk
myself in front of motorists, holding them up as I make progress. How
bone is that?
--
Bewildered
Euan

doesnt the road (dang. head hurts too much for memory retrieval) one block east have bikelanes for the duration?
Personally I find Clarendon's surface so appalling and too many drivers suffering form Chapelrueitis that I avoid it if at all possible

flyingdutch> doesnt the road (dang. head hurts too much for memory
flyingdutch> retrieval) one block east have bikelanes for the
flyingdutch> duration? Personally I find Clarendon's surface so
flyingdutch> appalling and too many drivers suffering form
flyingdutch> Chapelrueitis that I avoid it if at all possible

No idea. I come straight out of Albert Park down Clarendon all the way
and hang a left to the Victoria Police Center. I'll certainly check it
out though.

The road surface is fine apart from a couple of cross roads with tram
tracks and I've never had a problem with cars. But then I very rarely
do, even in Chapel Street.
--
Cheers
Euan

"ProfTournesol" <[email protected]
> hippy Wrote:
>> Oooh noo...
>> Don't get me started on footpaths and their lack of room for feet!
>> Frickin' Glenferrie Rd.
>> Frickin' cafe latte poseurs
>> guess one of hippy's pet hates.. ;-)

> bad cafe lattes in Glenferrie Road?

No.. no.. just the footpaths being taken over by cafe's..

We have a nice coffee machine at work so I can latte
up without the fear of being spotted by an aus.biker :)

hippy
- 100% latte free, guaranteed!

flyingdutch said:
doesnt the road (dang. head hurts too much for memory retrieval) one block east have bikelanes for the duration?
Personally I find Clarendon's surface so appalling and too many drivers suffering form Chapelrueitis that I avoid it if at all possible

Yes, Moray Street/Queensbridge street is the best route to the city, plus Cecil street takes you the back way past the market. But the fact that Clarendon is becoming more unridable isn't positive, given that the shops are all on Clarendon st.

also
big B speaks

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrne...0144E0E-9C9D7F9815DE2FC3CA256F80000CEB05?open

Batchelor prompts motorists to THINK TRAM

Wednesday January 5, 2005

Transport Minister Peter Batchelor today urged motorists to Think Tram as
work to improve tram services began on Clarendon Street, in South Melbourne.

Mr Batchelor joined Yarra Trams Acting Chief Executive Dennis Cliche and the
Mayor of the City of Port Phillip, Cr Darren Ray, to paint on-road line
markings for the first hook turn outside Melbourne's CBD.

The new line markings are part of the on-road treatment works being
installed along the Clarendon Street section of Route 112.

"These works represent part of a $30 million initiative which aims to reduce
tram travel times on eight priority routes around Melbourne by improving
traffic flow between trams and other road users," Mr Batchelor said.

"This will improve tram efficiency and travel times on the popular Route 112
and the start of the Clarendon Street work marks what I hope is the
beginning of a new era for public transport in Melbourne.

"Through the Think Tram initiative we are aiming to make tram travel an
attractive and viable transport option.

"Clarendon Street is a great place for this project to start, because it is
not only a popular shopping strip but also provides excellent access to the
CBD.

"With these treatments in place, I'm hopeful it will encourage locals and
visitors alike to leave the car keys at home and Think Tram."

Mr Batchelor said as well as hook turns, measures such as physical barriers
to separate trams from other road users and relocation of tram stops would
be trialled on Clarendon St.

"All of these measures aim to keep people moving and traffic flowing," he
said.

"Hook turns have long been used in the CBD and are an excellent way of
keeping traffic moving without causing delays to trams.

"The relocation of tram stops to the departure side of intersections at
Park, Dorcas and York Streets will allow trams to move through the
intersection on a green light. This eliminates the double delay of
passengers getting on or off the tram and the tram then catching a red
light.

"Relocation of these stops will also include extension of the kerb to
provide safer access to trams."

Mr Batchelor said other treatments, including alterations to traffic signal
sequences and right turn bans would all help improve services on Route 112.

Mr Cliche said the program was about making the most of Melbourne's unique
transport asset.

"Melbourne has one of the most extensive tram networks in the world but we
all need to Think Tram if we are to make the best of this enviable
resource," Mr Cliche said.

"Catching a tram is an easy way of reducing congestion and pollution and I
hope this program will encourage all Melburnians to think twice before
reaching for their car keys."

Cr Ray said the Claredon St Pilot was an important step in providing the
local community with better transport options and attracting shoppers to the
precinct.

"Clarendon St has long been one of Melbourne's well-known shopping strips,
and the pilot will make getting there easier and hopefully reduce the number
of cars trying to find parking spaces," Cr Ray said.

The priority routes being established under the Think Tram program are:

a.. Route 112 - Clarendon St/Collins St/Brunswick St/St Georges Rd
b.. Route 86 - Bourke St/Gertrude St/High St
c.. Route 55 - Queensbridge St/William St/Peel St/Flemington Rd
d.. Route 59 - St Kilda Rd/William St/Peel St/FlemingtonRd
e.. Route 19 - Elizabeth St/Royal Pde/Sydney Rd
f.. Route 109 - Collins St/Victoria Pde
g.. Route 48/75 - Flinders St/Wellington Pde/Bridge Rd
h.. Route 6/8 - Swanston St/St Kilda Rd

Mr Batchelor said options were still being considered for other priority
routes and decisions would be made in consultation with the community and
key stakeholders such as traders.

"The Clarendon Street pilot will provide a useful example for proposals at
the other priority routes but each route will be assessed separately to
determine the best options for the area," he said.

The pilot will run until March with an assessment undertaken to determine
the effectiveness of the treatments. Successful treatments will then be
installed permanently.

Last updated on 5/01/2005

Dallas

When in doubt, jiggle the cable.